The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop

+6
doctor_grey
yappysnap
B91212
Ozzy3213
No 7&1/2
LondonTiger
10 posters

Go down

Who is your Loosehead.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_lcap43%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 13 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_lcap20%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 6 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_lcap33%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 10 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_lcap3%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 30

Poll closed

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Empty 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 May 2014, 11:03 am

As usual I ask you to consider the players form purely during the AP season. Players must have made at least 10 starts during the regular season to qualify.

Mako Vunipola - 10 starts, 4 bench. 1 try.
A slow start to the season, following sterling Lions duty, saw him firmly behind Joe Marler in the England selection. However in only his second season at this level the elder Vunipola boy is looking forward to appearances in both European and domestic finals. His scrummaging has continued to improve - but less has been seen of his powerful running.

Alex Waller - 17 starts, 5 bench, 2 tries.
When Jim Mallinder replaced the outgoing Tonga'uiha with Englands number 1 number 1, Waller could well have expected to spend another season with bench warming duties. However the ongoing injury woes for Saints new signing gave Waller his chance - and boy did he grab it. Too often players are feted as starts at a young agae and move seemlessly through the England ranks from U16s to the full team - with late developers barely getting a look in. Waller has not had the easy path and his excellent form saw him earn a Saxons place and first ever England representative shirt this season. He is a solid and improving scrummager, stgrong in the loose, a great lifter at lineouts and a key part of Saints driving maul game.

Marcos Ayerza - 13 starts, 2 bench
Due to 4Ns and AIs, the Argentinians AP season started late. Ever since he has bolstered hi sreputation as the best scrummager in the AP. Not flashy, but an important ball carrier for tigers he has been a model of consistent excellence in a team that has stuttered this season.

Joe Marler - 15 starts, 1 try
Continuing the trend of young English looseheads shining, 23yo Marler has made great progress this season. His scrummaging has improved markedly and the new regs seem to suit him. his temperament has cooled a touch and he still offers a huge amount around the park. Consistent club form has seen him secure the England shirt - and he has no intention of ceding that place.

Paul James - 16 starts, 3 bench
A powerful scrummager and the mainstay of an oft injury ravaged Bath front row. Not as mobile as some contenders - but you do not see him stint or retreat.

Eifion Lewis-Roberts, 15 starts, 6 bench
One of the heaviest LHs in the AP, welshman Lewis-Roberts has enjoyed his return to Sale. A key part of a very well drilled Sale pack.

Matt Mullan, 20 starts
Mullan's move from Worcester has given Wasps some much needed solidity and re-invigorated his career. 2 caps off the bench have now been added to his 2010 appearance, and Mullan will be hoping that he will be included in the England squad to tour NZ.

Ben Moon, 13 start, 8 bench.
Seems to have established himself as the Chiefs first choice LH. Wish I had more to say.

Nick Wood, 15 starts
If his first minute red card v Saracens did not disqualify him, then surely the dismal form of Glaws tight 5 surely should. Wood, while not at his best, has strived manfully to keep things on an even keel. He will be looking forward to the arrival of Hibbard and Afoa. Also, Scrumpy must have someone to vote for.

Rob Vickers
Has turned in some pretty impressive performances since switching from Hooker to Loosehead.

London Irish and Worcester have no contenders.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 May 2014, 11:04 am

OK, I am biased and see a lot more of him, but for me Ayerza is the best LH in the AP. However the reduced gametime means that instead I am torn between Marler and Waller.

Will ponder.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Loosehead Prop

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 19 May 2014, 11:06 am

Waller for me. Has stepped in to replace (Lions legend) Corbisiero and hasn't looked out of place at all. Only a matter of time before he's around the England side.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 19 May 2014, 4:24 pm

Not a criticism LT, merely a question, but on what basis do London Irish and Worcester have no contenders?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 May 2014, 5:41 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Not a criticism LT, merely a question, but on what basis do London Irish and Worcester have no contenders?

I felt John Yapp was LIs best LH, but he failed to meat the minimum number of matches. I was unable to identify who Wuss's best LH was.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 May 2014, 7:57 pm

My first choice was to go with Ayerza and whilst I agree with LT that he is the best LH in the league I too have decided not to consider him due to less game time than the others, so it is between Alex Waller & Joe Marler for me. Waller has been better than any Saints fan could have hoped after Corbiserio's ongoing injury issues, strong in loose and solid enough in the set piece. However along with a few of the Saints forwards he has looked a little jaded in the last month although that is probably more the fault of Saints management playing him too much than his own doing.

Marler has been consistently excellent in a Quins front five that was expected to struggle this season. Always good on the carry his set piece has continued to improve and he has the workrate of all modern props but with an engine that can go 80 minutes when needed. Over the course of the entire season I think he just shades it.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 19 May 2014, 8:58 pm

I think if you spoke to most London Irish fans I suspect they would say Matt Parr was our best loosehead, and they would be right. Wouldn't be near winning this, but did a good job for us this season and will be decent enough experienced back up to Tom Court next season.

In terms of this poll I am struggling to decide between Ayerza, Marler and Waller.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 19 May 2014, 9:25 pm

Brilliant write up LT

For me it's between the scrummager Ayerza but he adds very little around the park, and then Waller and Marler who are both better all rounders, Marler for me just shades it due to his close in work, some massive tackles and some very impressive carrying. And I am very biased.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 20 May 2014, 3:03 am

Have to admit, Marler has really developed. Even the etching in his head are not so moronic as before. Waller, I choase because he has no etchings and I think he is equally good as Marler, with Vunipola just a shade behind. but Quality all three.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 20 May 2014, 6:16 am

Great work as always LT OK

I won't even attempt to argue Wood's case. Our front row have been shocking and whilst they improved slightly at the end they are firmly behind everyone else.

If I was choosing who was the best player in general then it would definitely be Ayerza followed by James. But basing it on this season in the Jeff then Waller firmly deserves it. He unexpectedly had to step up and boy did he take his opportunity! He has been an anchor to Saints scrum and not many sides could say they didn't feel the loss of Corbisiero. Marler would be a credible 2nd, but as an international already his performances haven't been as stand out as Waller.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 20 May 2014, 8:45 am

Marler for me.

Made Corbs absence from England seem not nearly as bad, and has played well for QUins. Improving all the time.

Noticed Vickers in the list. He's actually been very good for the Falcons since his switch and some of his scrummaging has been very impressive. Dean Richards 1st choice LH i would say which is impressive as he was moved there to cover an injury crisis...and they never switched him back.

But i wouldnt have him as the best LH in the prem.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 20 May 2014, 9:47 am

Picked Marler originally but after the AP semi finals I will go for Waller.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 20 May 2014, 10:17 am

Waller for me, I'm not sure he is technically the best prop on the list, but he has had a great season and should hopefully be involved in a wider England squad soon. From what I've heard from Saints fans, his younger brother is going to be even better...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down