The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop

+5
Geordie
doctor_grey
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
LondonTiger
9 posters

Go down

Select your Tighthead

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap3%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap6%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap58%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 18 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap19%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 6 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap6%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap3%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_lcap0%606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 31

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Empty 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 am

Matt Stevens, Saracens (15 starts, 4 bench) - It has been an incredible 12 months for this oft derided prop. what has turned out to be his final year in English rugby started with an unexpected Lions tour followed by a domestic season where he held off the challenge of big money signing James Johnston. The Sarries scrum does not dominate others - but nor does it tend to go backwards - and Stevens has been crucial in this. Still prone to give away silly penalties, but the quantity is much reduced this season.

Salesi Ma'afu, Northampton (17 starts) - did not look 100% fit at the start of the season and may have blotted hi scopy book with sending off in the AP semi. Between times though Ma'afu has been a significant factor in Saints push to the finals of AP and Amlin. Strong at the scrum where it takes a real technician to discomfort him, he has really come to his own when providing grunt for Saints driving mall, and when he has ball in hand in open play.

Logo Mulipola, Leicester (15 starts, 1 bench) - Playing on both sides, technically Mulipola has made significantly less appearances on the tight head than other contenders. He has struggled with knee and hamstring issues since the turn of the year, which has at times hampered his scrummaging. when he gets his body position right however he can be very destructive there. What has really made Logo stand out though has been his ball carrying in the second half of the season. The former no8 has shown a good turn of pace, alongside the obvious power as Tigers looked to get him in the game more.

Harlequins - while Kyle Sinckler seems to have ended the season as first choice, he has shared the duties with collier and doran-Jones, with no player making the required number of starts.

Davey Wilson, Bath (14 starts) - Excellent early season club form was putting real pressure on Dan Cole for England. A leg injury in November saw him miss almost 3 months of the season - and get rushed back for england rather early. his best performances have come for England rather than in the AP but even so a vey notable season.

Vadim Cobilas, Sale (15 starts, 7 bench) - An old fashioned prop. He concentrates on the basics and does them to a very high level. This set-piece solidity has seen him selected ahead of the more dynamic Henry Thomas.

Jake Cooper-Woolley, Wasps (18 starts) - The former Quins academy man has taken the path less travelled to the Premiership, having opted to go to Univesrity before becoming a pro. Having captained Cardiff to Varsity triumph, he also spent 2 seasons playing in the Welsh Premiership. On completion of his degree he returned to London and has had a stunning first season. Canny in the scrum, he carries well and enjoys scoring tries against Worcester. Unheralded - but he could be one to really watch.

Hoani Tui, Exeter (19 starts, 2 bench) - I guess it can be argued that Tui's formj reflected that of his team as it seemed to fade away as the season progressed.

Gloucester - A series of revolving doors were selected at 3 for Gloucester. 2014/15 and Afoa cannot come quickly enough for the Shed.

Leo Halavatau, London Irish (14 starts, 8 bench) - Early season injury denied Exiles the presence of Halani Aulika for much of the season. Halavatau deputised manfully in a front row that did at times struggle.

Oliver Tomaszczyk, Newcastle (12 starts, 5 bench) - Keiran Brookes and Scott Wilson may be the coming men, but the Tomahawk has been trusted most regularly.

Euan Murray, Worcester (11 starts, 2 bench) - Injury prone, unavailable on Sundays or International weekends, Murray has still been the main man for Worcester.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 20, 2014 8:47 am

Only one day to vote as I made a slight boo-boo, sorry.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop Empty Re: 606 Selects its Aviva Premiership AllStars XV - Tighthead Prop

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue May 20, 2014 10:47 am

I have gone for Mulipola, ever time I have seen him this season he has looked good and he is such a strong carrier.

Wilson has done well this season but he has missed a good chunk of domestic action. I really hope for his sake he stays fit and gets a good set of games in NZ, his work around the park in particular has come on leaps and bounds this year.

I like the look of Cooper-Woolley too, I can't believe a Saxons call will be too far away for him.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue May 20, 2014 10:57 am

Really nice informative breakdown of each player- thanks LT.

Slightly biased possibly, but my vote would go to Mulipola. He's been a revelation in terms of carrying power, turning up all over the field. Him and Ayerza are a formidable front row combination, blending powerful scrummaging with open with field presence.

Honourable mention to Cooper-Wooley and Sinckler.

Is Cooper-Wooley likely to chose an English or Welsh call-up if they were to come knocking?
I watched him in the Welsh Varsity a few years ago, and combined with his two seasons playing Welsh Championship rugby, I just thought he was Welsh through-and-through.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue May 20, 2014 11:27 am

I voted for Mulipola despite the seriously bad hair.

Ma'afu was a critical cog in Saints drive to the finals, but really only lasted 55-60 minutes per match and was as much a creature of the great pack than doing it on his own. I am not sure I actually saw him 'run' all season. More of an accelerated waddle.
The punches against Youngs were inexcusable.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am

doctor_grey wrote:I voted for Mulipola despite the seriously bad hair.

Ma'afu was a critical cog in Saints drive to the finals, but really only lasted 55-60 minutes per match and was as much a creature of the great pack than doing it on his own.  I am not sure I actually saw him 'run' all season.  More of an accelerated waddle.

That makes him a true old school prop Doc...Let the flankers and locks do all the running  Very Happy Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue May 20, 2014 12:54 pm

This is a really tough one for me. It's between Stevens, Mulipola, Wilson and Cobilas. Wilson has really progressed and is starting to fulfil his early potential, however, I agree with LT his best performances haven't necessarily been in the Jeff. Stevens has had a real swan song this season and I'm sure he'll end his stint with some silverware. But again I agree that he has been very consistent without ever truly dominating. This is no bad thing at all and allows a platform to be built, but the performances of others put him behind the rest.

Mulipola I believe will win this vote. He has improved his technique and his mobility cannot be doubted. He is also probably the strongest scrummager in the Jeff. But, I do think whilst he has admirably stepped into the TH fold, he isn't a truly top class TH. This stint will no doubt improve his LH play. But for me my vote goes to Cobilas. If a prop can throw a dummy or make a drop goal that's fine, but he needs to be able to scrummage first and foremost. There is an element of Julian White about him and I like that. He has played a very unsung part in Sale's season. He does the graft and leaves the fancy work to the backs, just as a good prop should  Smile 
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Great polls as always, LT.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue May 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Muniopla then Cobilas in a position where I don't think there has been any real stand out contenders over the course of the entire season. As a Saints fan I've been happy enough with Ma'afu (Fridays incident aside) but agree with the Doctors evaluation a couple of posts up.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 20, 2014 4:12 pm

B91212 wrote:Muniopla then Cobilas in a position where I don't think there has been any real stand out contenders over the course of the entire season. As a Saints fan I've been happy enough with Ma'afu (Fridays incident aside) but agree with the Doctors evaluation a couple of posts up.

Think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed May 21, 2014 2:23 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I voted for Mulipola despite the seriously bad hair.

Ma'afu was a critical cog in Saints drive to the finals, but really only lasted 55-60 minutes per match and was as much a creature of the great pack than doing it on his own.  I am not sure I actually saw him 'run' all season.  More of an accelerated waddle.

That makes him a true old school prop Doc...Let the flankers and locks do all the running  Very Happy Wink 
You are, of course, correct, and I defer to your wisdom.
Further, this clearly shows I have forgotten my roots, my age, and where I came from. I am abashed.

What do props and the statue of Lord Nelson in Trafalgar Square have in common?
Every time you see them they are always in the exact same place.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed May 21, 2014 6:44 am

Mulipola for me, very impressive around the park which makes you think he's going to be a bit weak in the scrum. Oh no, he is a beast there as well. At such a young age and with so little experience his last 4 months of rugby were out standing.

Shout out to Synckler as well who's come through far quicker then expected and done a real good job for Quins. Very similar in the loose to Mulipola as he was a converted centre (imagine lining up against that!) and he's showing a lot of smarts in the scrum. Kept that oxygen thief PDJ out of the starting lineup all season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 21, 2014 9:47 am

Doc i remember the old days when the only time you saw a prop run with "intensity" was to be the first to the bar!  Very Happy 

Yappy i think Sinkler has been hugely impressive since he came in. He was kind of dropped in sink or swim due to injuries and may well have a tour to NZ this summer on the back of it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri May 23, 2014 7:59 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Doc i remember the old days when the only time you saw a prop run with "intensity" was to be the first to the bar!  Very Happy 

Yappy i think Sinkler has been hugely impressive since he came in. He was kind of dropped in sink or swim due to injuries and may well have a tour to NZ this summer on the back of it.

I think Budgy at Exeter and that fat boy at Sale are the last of that breed of prop now Geordie! It's all about the aesthetics now mate... Gotta have a prop with a six pack and 100m time sub 11's!

It was a lot of pressure for Synckler, especially with new boy Ward hooking and Marler being away with England the majority of the time, he coped remarkably well though and I'd be happy to see him run on against the baabaa's and Crusaders.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down