The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wembley - The Other Fights

+6
compelling and rich
Seanusarrilius
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
hampo17
Pedro147
10 posters

Go down

Wembley - The Other Fights Empty Wembley - The Other Fights

Post by Pedro147 Thu 29 May 2014, 3:51 pm

How do we see the undercard going for this?

I really have a feeling De Gale is going to lose. I think he's struggled big time and still hasn't fought anyone in the Top 10 bar Groves who I'm not even sure was Top 10 at the time. He hasn't developed at all since turning pro and still hasn't learned how to plant his feet as a pro.

I think the Mitchell fight is 50/50. Last time he fought on a big bill Mitchell fell apart against Katsidis. I think he's a great boxer but I don't think he's got a winning mentality. He has all the tools to beat beat Ricky Burns and was stopped in a few rounds but seems to have come back improved and has knuckled down more. Would be good to see him win and get a shot at Vasquez.

McDonnell has a chance to be a two-time champ but it really isn't a fight to set the house alight. Although a win could lead to a big British world title fight against another rival towards the end of the year which would be good. Don't know too much about the other guy, anybody know or have an insight into him?

The rest of the card seems to be prospects versus tomato cans but always good to see how they're developing I suppose.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Wembley - The Other Fights Empty Re: Wembley - The Other Fights

Post by hampo17 Thu 29 May 2014, 3:56 pm

Mitchell has had a lot of problems outside of the ring, problems that are well documented and he speaks openly about. It's a shame they've come up at key points in his career as it's taken the focus of the fight.

I'm backing Gonzalez to beat Degale, he comes from a decent gym with Virgil Hunter and if the tactics are right he'll do the business which McDonnell is fighting a guy who I'm not sure has any chance unless Jamie really doesn't turn up.

Joshua is what it is, another fight at the start of his career, nothing more and nothing less. No point saying he should be fighting for titles now because if he lost people would only dump on him and say he was overrated.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 4:01 pm

Irrelevant seeing as how most of the people going will be stood at the bar getting served instead of watching what's going on. Those who are inside the arena will be divided in the following

1/ Drunkards constantly screaming "C'mon Georgey Boy/ Frochy Boy" before the main event whilst not watching who is actually fighting.

2/ People who bought tickets for the "I was there" conversation in the pub

3/ People who bought tickets for the "I was there" conversation in the pub and are annoying everyone by asking when Audley Harrison is on and why Amir Khan doesn't fight Carl Froch instead.

4/People with a genuine interest in the undercard

5/ People with a genuine interest in the undercard but will bizarrely get all huffy when asked to discuss the main event citing a complete disregard for anything populist

5/ People with no interest in the undercard but who are teetotal/can't get served and have given up waiting

6/People with no interest in the undercard but who have spent a load of dosh to get there and are damn well going to get their monies worth ("cos y'know the fight we really wanna see will be sh!t/great but we'll miss it cos you we too tight to buy better seats!"

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 29 May 2014, 4:58 pm

McDonnell as a "two time champ. HAHA. That is brilliant.

True...but its utterly ridiculous and a farce.

Joshua via KO
De Gale via UD
Mitchell via KO
McDonnell via UD

Froch via KO

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 May 2014, 5:00 pm

I've come to the conclusion you are of a cynical persuasion Dave..

Cynical persuasion....Make a good thrash metal name !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 29 May 2014, 5:02 pm

hampo171 wrote:Mitchell has had a lot of problems outside of the ring, problems that are well documented and he speaks openly about. It's a shame they've come up at key points in his career as it's taken the focus of the fight.

I'm backing Gonzalez to beat Degale, he comes from a decent gym with Virgil Hunter and if the tactics are right he'll do the business which McDonnell is fighting a guy who I'm not sure has any chance unless Jamie really doesn't turn up.

Joshua is what it is, another fight at the start of his career, nothing more and nothing less. No point saying he should be fighting for titles now because if he lost people would only dump on him and say he was overrated.

Mitchell lacks a chin at LW. This could be his undoing on Saturday. Excellent skilset, but I think Mitchell is between weights.

Degale could well lose, but will get the nod if remotely close.

Joshua to demolish Legg.

Mcdonnell to win on points in a stinker.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 5:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I've come to the conclusion you are of a cynical persuasion Dave..

Cynical persuasion....Make a good thrash metal name !!
I prefer to think of it as soul crushing pragmatism

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 29 May 2014, 5:48 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Irrelevant seeing as how most of the people going will be stood at the bar getting served instead of watching what's going on. Those who are inside the arena will be divided in the following

1/ Drunkards constantly screaming "C'mon Georgey Boy/ Frochy Boy" before the main event whilst not watching who is actually fighting.

3/ People who bought tickets for the "I was there" conversation in the pub and are annoying everyone by asking when Audley Harrison is on and why Amir Khan doesn't fight Carl Froch instead.

5/ People with a genuine interest in the undercard but will bizarrely get all huffy when asked to discuss the main event citing  a complete disregard for anything populist

5/ People with no interest in the undercard but who are teetotal/can't get served and have given up waiting

6/People with no interest in the undercard but who have spent a load of dosh to get there and are damn well going to get their monies worth ("cos y'know the fight we really wanna see will be sh!t/great but we'll miss it cos you we too tight to buy better seats!"

having been to many a live event this is sadly quite accurate, think i fall somewhere between 1 and 4 in that im normally a drunkard who has a interest in the undercard, but not much of a shouter

you missed 7- bunch of racists supporting the Mexican dressed as Mexicans against the Asian lad

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 5:56 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Irrelevant seeing as how most of the people going will be stood at the bar getting served instead of watching what's going on. Those who are inside the arena will be divided in the following

5/ People with a genuine interest in the undercard but will bizarrely get all huffy when asked to discuss the main event citing  a complete disregard for anything populist

having been to many a live event this is sadly quite accurate, think i fall somewhere between 1 and 4 in that im normally a drunkard who has a interest in the undercard, but not much of a shouter

you missed 7- bunch of racists supporting the Mexican dressed as Mexicans against the Asian lad
Didn't think it was relevant given the two white guys fighting but there's always 8/ The guys dressed as Mexicans to support the Mexican and not the Asian lad who are too drunk to realize they've bought tickets five years too late.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 30 May 2014, 1:21 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

There was a sky sports presenter who asked Groves if a fight with Khan was likely. brilliant.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 30 May 2014, 1:42 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:McDonnell as a "two time champ. HAHA. That is brilliant.

True...but its utterly ridiculous and a farce.

Joshua via KO
De Gale via UD
Mitchell via KO
McDonnell via UD

Froch via KO

Two time belt inheriter.

Kameda gives up the "ordinary" belt (top ten contender in old money) to face the "super" belt holder (top ten contender), allowing Hearn to purchase the vacant title to be contested between a top ten contender and a guy who isn't a top ten contender.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING!!!!!!!!!!!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 30 May 2014, 1:50 pm

Hunter seems confident his man can topple Degale,apparently Gonzales's sparring partner is Ward, so it doesn't come much better,one thing Degale can't afford to do is try and coast in the middle rounds like he's been known to do.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 30 May 2014, 2:02 pm

still cannot believe degale is still with that trainer of his

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 30 May 2014, 2:19 pm

Saw some footage of Gonzales and he looks distinctly ordinary.....Easy night....

As for World titles these days it shows how insignificant they have become when the advert for SKY.........Has Degale's fight...Joshua's fight and nothing about McDonnell's fight with the Thai cheese...

That is the only other "World" title fight on the bill and SKY can't be bothered advertising it !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down