The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Essex Eagles T20 Blast

+3
Voice of the Beehive
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Go down

Surrey vs Essex Eagles T20 Blast Empty Surrey vs Essex Eagles T20 Blast

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 05 Jun 2014, 6:24 pm

Surrey have named a thirteen man squad for the NatWest T20 Blast game against the Essex Eagles at the Kia Oval on Friday.
Kevin Pietersen is included for the first time in this season’s competition as Surrey go into the game off the back of two straight wins.
The Surrey squad to play the Essex Eagles in the NatWest T20 Blast at the Kia Oval on Friday 6th June:
Gary Wilson (capt)
Hashim Amla
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Kevin O’Brien
Azhar Mahmood
Robin Peterson
Kevin Pietersen
Jason Roy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Essex Eagles T20 Blast Empty Re: Surrey vs Essex Eagles T20 Blast

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 Jun 2014, 6:59 pm

Thanks, JimBob.

I believe that's the same eleven who trounced Middlesex last Friday plus Matt Dunn and the returning Kevin Pietersen.

I can't see Dunn as being anything over than cover. As Beehive suggested last week, the real and most difficult question is who makes way for Pietersen?

I suggested Davies at the time, partly because he's a lesser batsman than Pietersen and partly because I'm grumpy at him not pulling his weight by leaving the gloves with new skipper Wilson. Maybe not entirely fair but there you go!

That said, if we decide the bowling has enough options already, Davies could well play leaving perhaps Ansari or even last week's man of the match Curran on the sidelines. Very tricky.

I'm assuming Essex still have various injury problems and would expect us to win. Apologies in advance for any jinx!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Thu 05 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

The return of Bopara and ten Doeschete will strengthen the Essex team. Add in Jesse Ryder and Pettini and they have quite a dangerous looking batting line up. They will certainly be more formidable opponents than Middlesex.

Not sure who will be in their bowling attack but Topley's a handy bowler. Masters made his comeback for Essex Seconds this week so he could be involved too.

The Surrey line up will be interesting as will the batting order at the top of the scorecard.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:21 pm

I'm also assuming that Dunn will not be in the final team.  I expect that Surrey would want to stick with the Roy / Davies opening partnership in T20. Who else to leave out?  chin

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:41 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I'm also assuming that Dunn will not be in the final team.  I expect that Surrey would want to stick with the Roy / Davies opening partnership in T20. Who else to leave out?  chin

Corporal - Amla though opened with Roy last Friday and Davies went in first drop. That sort of makes Pietersen for Davies more logical although still far from definite.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

I hate to be someone who only comes on here to complain but....

Why on earth have we moved Davies from opening in T20? The first 6 overs are his absolute most effective period - how many times has he got 30 off less than 20 balls before getting out? He struggles more once the field relaxes and has never been a finisher or middle order one day player so why are completely hampering ourselves by playing him that way to play Amla at the top who is much more adaptable and able to play at 4/5/6?

Credit to Roy for another 50, holding our batting together at the moment but unfortunately he needs to be getting 70 from 40 rather than 50 from 40 to kick us on to a big total as he isn't getting the support he needs.

Ten Doeschate's one of those who always gets runs against us isn't he?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
I'm assuming Essex still have various injury problems and would expect us to win. Apologies in advance for any jinx!

Apologies again, folks. By way of feeble excuse, hadn't realised some of the Essex big guns were returning until I saw Beehive's post.

Wasn't at the game nor able to listen to Churchy but from the odd look at cricinfo did seem we were unable to up the run rate when reasonably placed at the half-way stage and gave away too many runs with the ball at the start of Essex's innings. Is it only hindsight that suggests we goofed in leaving out Curran?

Stewart spoke postively about Robin Peterson at this week's members' forum (in particular, his working with Ansari) but he's still to take a wicket and is going at more than 8 an over. Can't put all the blame on him but that's obviously disappointing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:51 pm

From what I've seen of Robin Peterson in international cricket I can't say I've ever seen anything that says he's particularly good. Seems to be a spinner who doesn't spin it, and a iffy batsman at best
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:08 pm

Carrotdude wrote:I hate to be someone who only comes on here to complain but....

Why on earth have we moved Davies from opening in T20? The first 6 overs are his absolute most effective period - how many times has he got 30 off less than 20 balls before getting out? He struggles more once the field relaxes and has never been a finisher or middle order one day player so why are completely hampering ourselves by playing him that way to play Amla at the top who is much more adaptable and able to play at 4/5/6?

Credit to Roy for another 50, holding our batting together at the moment but unfortunately he needs to be getting 70 from 40 rather than 50 from 40 to kick us on to a big total as he isn't getting the support he needs.

Carrot - part of Woking FC's ground is known as Moaners' Corner. I'll look out for you there if you're ever watching football in my neck of the woods!  Wink 

Seriously though, you make a valid point about Davies. I just wonder .... if a decision had been made pre-season that Davies would bat middle order in the T20 as Smith would open with Roy ... and that it's now felt less disruptive to keep Davies middle order with Amla being the opening replacement for Smith. If that's the case, I don't agree with the reasoning but it may explain it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

Carrotdude wrote:.....

Yes - feels like it, and usually scores very rapidly as well against us.  Sad 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm

Some observations from the train home from The Oval.

Agree Davies should be opening with Roy.

Curran should have played.

KP and KOB need some time in the middle in another form of cricket to find their touch.

KP didn't look fit. Couldn't run properly and uncharacteristically had to be hidden in the field.

Jade had a shocker.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:42 pm

Why does Dernbach always play? Really worked dropping Curran for KP - lost a tidy bowler and didn't add any runs! Disappointing.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 07 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

sadly amla can't bat anywhere else in t20 so davies wont be going back ther do agree though coming in at 5 is a waste.
after winning man of the match in the previous game leaving out curran was madness
at the moment you would have to say son of boris should be missing out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down