The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch a different person?

+21
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Scottrf
Steffan
Strongback
tunes666
Hammersmith harrier
captain carrantuohil
catchweight
milkyboy
Alistair
Mind the windows Tino.
mobilemaster8
theanimal316
TopHat24/7
kingraf
superflyweight
Rowley
jimdig
wheelchair1991
ONETWOFOREVER
shenglong2014
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Froch a different person? - Page 2 Empty Froch a different person?

Post by shenglong2014 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 1:38 am

First topic message reminder :

Anyone watch Ringside? Thought Carl was very humble and like a different person than the Carl we witness around The Saint. If Carl was like this all the time Id have no problems supporting the Cobra! Do you think George Groves just brings out the worst or has all the pressure left him and now he can relax?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Froch a different person? - Page 2 Empty Re: Froch a different person?

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

Strongback wrote:So Froch acts the Noddy a bit and some people get upset but the same people turn a blind eye to David Haye who really is a full on cynical doer of misdeeds.

Forch is a bit of a weirdo for me and is possibly suffering after all the punches to the head he's suffered but he is one of the best to watch.  There have been very few dull fights.
Thing with Froch is that for the longest time he was quite level headed and then somewhere around the Bute fight onwards he developed full on plank-dom and it seemed as though he was trying too hard to cultivate a personality and failing. Likeable or not, Haye's always been the same brash character whereas it's something Froch has manufactured and it was totally unnecessary. He was doing the business in the ring, letting his fists do the talking but somewhere along the way he seemed narked that he wasn't getting the same level of respect as Calzaghe and adopted this "I'm a Warrior" persona.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:32 pm

I there was a Sports Non-Personality of the Year award then Froch would have cleaned up for the last 5 years

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

Steffan wrote:I there was a Sports Non-Personality of the Year award then Froch would have cleaned up for the last 5 years

Andy Murray already won this last year?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:37 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:
Steffan wrote:I there was a Sports Non-Personality of the Year award then Froch would have cleaned up for the last 5 years

Aw come on leave old Andy alone. Henman was also about as likelable as chlamydia but never seemed to get the stick Murray gets

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:29 pm

Surely if there was a sports non personality award Calzaghe would get the lifetime achievement award.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

Scottrf wrote:Surely if there was a sports non personality award Calzaghe would get the lifetime achievement award.
Nah

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:49 pm

Steffan wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:

Aw come on leave old Andy alone. Henman was also about as likelable as chlamydia but never seemed to get the stick Murray gets

It was the stick that gave him chlamydia.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm

As opposed to Calzaghe who is Oscar Wilde & JFK incarnate? Oh no wait, he's a dreary Welsh dullard as opposed to a dreary English dullard.

Thought Froch came over fine on ringside, he's clearly suddenly become very self aware due to the barbs he's received about the 'international superstar' comments & the horrendous post fight interview after Groves 1. He's obviously being mindful of showing respect, being sporting & not blowing his own trumpet too much, you can see him thinking about what he's saying and reigning himself in if he starts to get carried away.

I've said on here before that Froch's problem is insecurity. He hasn't had the plaudits he feels he deserves throughout his career so he tries to lavish them on himself - almost like writing his own reviews & tag lines. He wants to be known as a 'warrior' and 'international superstar' so he bandies the phrases around himself. He really does have a need to feel validated, to have his achievements constantly recognised and his greatness reinforced. That's why Groves got under his skin so much; partly because Groves (rightly or wrongly) has the kind of impenetrable self confidence that Froch lacks, and partly because Groves refused to acknowledge Froch's greatness and was nit-picky about his career & achievements.

Personally I like Froch, he's not daft, he's good entertainment value in the ring, he can box a bit, he's an incredible athlete with balls of steel and he's as hard as a coffin nail. What's not to like.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:44 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:As opposed to Calzaghe who is Oscar Wilde & JFK incarnate? Oh no wait, he's a dreary Welsh dullard as opposed to a dreary English dullard.
What exactly has Calzaghe got to do with this thread. It's about Froch

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Personally I like Froch, he's not daft, he's good entertainment value in the ring, he can box a bit, he's an incredible athlete with balls of steel and he's as hard as a coffin nail. What's not to like.
Are you Lee Froch by any chance?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:05 pm

Steffan wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:As opposed to Calzaghe who is Oscar Wilde & JFK incarnate? Oh no wait, he's a dreary Welsh dullard as opposed to a dreary English dullard.
What exactly has Calzaghe got to do with this thread. It's about Froch

Sorry Steffan, I was thinking that all your comments were driven by your infamous pro calzaghe and anti Froch agenda; my bad.

Steffan wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Personally I like Froch, he's not daft, he's good entertainment value in the ring, he can box a bit, he's an incredible athlete with balls of steel and he's as hard as a coffin nail. What's not to like.
Are you Lee Froch by any chance?

I wish I was, then I could chloroform myself and stick my own head in the meat grinder.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:19 pm

Calzaghe snorted cocaine and French kissed his sister......no ordinary Joe.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:He was the mandatory as Calzaghe stepped up to face Hopkins, he should then have face Inkin for the vacant WBC title but Inkin being a precious stay in Germany fighter thought better of it and chose the WBO route instead.

Couldn't give a toss whether Froch is a prat or not, he's given me years of enjoyment watching his fights which invariably are always entertaining. Even the fights against Johnson and Abraham weren't bad.

If he was fighting a heavy bag, you'd get a stirring in your loins hammy. The Johnson fight was a stinker for the rest of us.

I think the comments being made about how good a person he is or isn't are missing the point a bit. Boxing is littered with wife beaters, thugs, pimps, drug dealers, drug takers etc.  Not many are saying froch is a bad person, they're saying he's a bit of a needy tool. Surely the joy of the internet is being able to slag off people whilst minimising the likelihood of taking a kicking for your views.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:18 pm

Strongback wrote:Calzaghe snorted cocaine and French kissed his sister......no ordinary Joe.

Oh come on strongy. We've all snorted coke and had a fumble with our sisters. Oh. Just me then?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 07 Jun 2014, 12:33 am

you really think the Johnson fight was a stinker?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 1:30 am

shenglong2014 wrote:Do you think De Gale would try to get under Froch's skin? Or try the "I respect you" angle? If the fight were made of course...

No I don't think so, he would just be very confident and big Froch up as a great win if he beat him, which he would believe he would..

Froch has earned the right to fight who ever he likes, even if he did not want another tricky fight with another hungry up and coming guy that is fair enough IMO, as while he can say annoying things and dis other boxers, he has paid his dues and taken allot of punches.

I fancy Degale to fight Bika, and then the winner to fight Froch for unification... Froch will go fight in vagas and win.... then if Degale beats Bika, have a big show down with Degale in the UK to see who the real Brit champ is... might not be far of another Wembley showdown if that happens, and by then I fancy anough Father time in Froch, and enough world champ confidence in Degale to win the fight.... Degale will then go to the USA for a battle of the Gold medalists with Ward who will probably beat Degale..

You saw it here first Smile

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 12:25 pm

Tunes666 just backed all of that at 100, 000/1 on paddypower....

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 07 Jun 2014, 2:34 pm

One thing I did notice that was abit strange with Carl was when Eddie was talking about "you need to respect the achievements Carl Froch has made" speech after the fight, Froch did actually grin at him as though he was sucking him off.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 08 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:One thing I did notice that was abit strange with Carl was when Eddie was talking about "you need to respect the achievements Carl Froch has made" speech after the fight, Froch did actually grin at him as though he was sucking him off.

Froch goes very luvvy eyed & bashful around Big Eddie, especially when Ed is singing Carl's praises. Eddie has just bought Carl a very expensive, engraved watch as a post fight gift, pic of it on Carl's twitter. Just saying.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:06 pm

They have made each other a shed load of money recently, matchroom without Froch wouldn't have got off the ground and would have struggled to upsurp Warren I feel, having the marquee British fighter makes a hell of a difference.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 09 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

I like Froch. I enjoy watching him fight and I will miss him when he retires. He might not be the best p4p but he sure is one of the more exciting fighters to watch. He has his flaws but that makes him al the more exciting.

Excellant fighter with a fantastic record. Has fought everybody in around his division.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jun 2014, 2:10 pm

AdamT wrote:I like Froch. I enjoy watching him fight and I will miss him when he retires. He might not be the best p4p but he sure is one of the more exciting fighters to watch. He has his flaws but that makes him al the more exciting.

Excellant fighter with a fantastic record. Has fought everybody in around his division.
Yet when people say that about Khan they're accused of supporting a china chinned cherry picking chancer

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 09 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:I like Froch. I enjoy watching him fight and I will miss him when he retires. He might not be the best p4p but he sure is one of the more exciting fighters to watch. He has his flaws but that makes him al the more exciting.

Yet when people say that about Khan they're accused of supporting a china chinned cherry picking chancer

I enjoy watching Khan fight. I admit I wasn't his biggest fan a few years back but I have to admit, he is hardly ever in dull fights and everytime he gets knocked out he comes back and beats good oppisition. Favourite Bristish/Irish fighter is Frampton. Really do think the kid is the real deal.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

Plenty of people backed Khan in his last fight without being accused of anything, shock horror Dave there are legitimate reasons to support Froch and flaws leading to excitement is one of them!

One difference between Froch's flaws and Khan's is that Froch's flaws make exciting fights beneficial to him, whereas when Khan wages war the fans love it, but he's unnecessarily giving his opponent a big chance.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:02 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Plenty of people backed Khan in his last fight without being accused of anything, shock horror Dave there are legitimate reasons to support Froch and flaws leading to excitement is one of them!

One difference between Froch's flaws and Khan's is that Froch's flaws make exciting fights beneficial to him, whereas when Khan wages war the fans love it, but he's unnecessarily giving his opponent a big chance.

Are we allowed to like them both? Don't want to nail my colours to that particular mast if not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

Rowley wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Plenty of people backed Khan in his last fight without being accused of anything, shock horror Dave there are legitimate reasons to support Froch and flaws leading to excitement is one of them!

Are we allowed to like them both? Don't want to nail my colours to that particular mast if not.
You are allowed to like both but remember it makes it difficult for people to then label you a racist if you're critical of Khan in the future having previously supported him...and we do like to label Khan critics as racists

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

The problem is they don't like each other rowley... So one day you day you may need to choose between them. Far easier to not like either of them and spare yourself that future conundrum.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

milkyboy wrote:The problem is they don't like each other rowley... So one day you day you may need to choose between them. Far easier to not like either of them and spare yourself that future conundrum.

I have to pretend to like a couple of modern boxers Milky, it confuses Truss.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

milkyboy wrote:The problem is they don't like each other rowley... So one day you day you may need to choose between them. Far easier to not like either of them and spare yourself that future conundrum.
Am currently imagining a scenario whereby Rowley is in a restaurant looking VERY uncomfortable as a tearful and extremely vocal Froch/Khan screams, "It's him or me!!!!"

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:17 pm

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where one who loves his food like rowley, would ever look very uncomfortable in a restaurant.

Of course... When the good mrs rowley, says she's left her purse at home.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:20 pm

Rowley wrote:

I have to pretend to like a couple of modern boxers Milky, it confuses Truss.

Stick with froch... The old school face first warrior. None of this amir khan fancy dan boxing malarkey.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:23 pm

milkyboy wrote:I'm trying to imagine a scenario where one who loves his food like rowley, would ever look very uncomfortable in a restaurant.

Of course... When the good mrs rowley, says she's left her purse at home.
Sitting on a chair for people with normal sized arses?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:36 pm

milkyboy wrote:I'm trying to imagine a scenario where one who loves his food like rowley, would ever look very uncomfortable in a restaurant.

You have clearly never seen me in an all you can eat buffet.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm

He got a lot of stick for the 'international superstar' comment, but I think the  word 'superstar' is a term often used in boxing, and I think he may have meant it in that context.

In boxing, the term 'superstar' could sometimes be applied to a fighter who is  well known to fight fans for giving value for money and generating excitement. A fighter that fans will always tend to tune in to watch because they are more often than not in exciting fights. 

Certainly, judging by the surprisingly good ratings the Froch/Groves fight did on HBO, he may have had a semblance of a point, even if he didn't phrase it too well. Though George Groves definitely played his part in the promotion of the fight. I know I've always enjoyed Carl Froch fights and am hoping he's still enjoying the training and would like to think he can maybe get a few more years out of the game yet.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:05 pm

Rowley wrote:

Yeh, its a bit embarrassing getting barred from one of them.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Not as embarrassing as having to be cut from your seat by the fire brigade

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:14 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:He got a lot of stick for the 'international superstar' comment,

Not enough hermy.

Dress it how you will, it was just shameless blowing of his own trumpet from the world's neediest boxer. That said, it's comedy gold and fairplay to him for the deadpan delivery.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:15 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:He got a lot of stick for the 'international superstar' comment, but I think the  word 'superstar' is a term often used in boxing, and I think he may have meant it in that context.

In boxing, the term 'superstar' could sometimes be applied to a fighter who is  well known to fight fans for giving value for money and generating excitement. A fighter that fans will always tend to tune in to watch because they are more often than not in exciting fights. 

Certainly, judging by the surprisingly good ratings the Froch/Groves fight did on HBO, he may have had a semblance of a point, even if he didn't phrase it too well. Though George Groves definitely played his part in the promotion of the fight. I know I've always enjoyed Carl Froch fights and am hoping he's still enjoying the training and would like to think he can maybe get a few more years out of the game yet.
Only if applied by a f*ckpump of an idiot with little understanding of boxing...or the meaning of words in general (aka Tyson Fury)

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:17 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Rowley wrote:

... At a restaurant that only has sofas

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:24 pm

milkyboy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Rowley wrote:

... At a restaurant that only has sofas
I have an advertising banner on my screen for Amoy Oriental Cuisine...if Rowley has seen them, the resultant drooling will make the Somerset floods look like the driest spell since records began

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Rowley wrote:

True story this Milky, but some friends of my mother went on an all inclusive holiday and took the p*ss that much Thomas Cook refused to book them on one the following year. Apparently breakfast was served between 7 and 10, the bloke was getting up at ten to seven, going for one breakfast and then going back to bed, getting up again just before ten and going for a second one. Even as a Yorkshireman that is a commitment to a bargain way beyond my comprehension.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm

Rowley wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Rowley wrote:

True story this Milky, but some friends of my mother went on an all inclusive holiday and took the p*ss that much Thomas Cook refused to book them on one the following year. Apparently breakfast was served between 7 and 10, the bloke was getting up at ten to seven, going for one breakfast and then going back to bed, getting up again just before ten and going for a second one. Even as a Yorkshireman that is a commitment to a bargain way beyond my comprehension.
He had breakfast, went to bed and then got up for another? Bloody southern softie

What about having breakfast, taking a doggy bag back to his room for breakfast in bed then coming back down for a third breakfast after a refreshing kip?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:46 pm

Didn't know tophat was a friend of your mother's, rowley

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2