The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open discussion thread

+39
lags72
socal1976
summerblues
mthierry
lydian
walktall2209
invisiblecoolers
lorus59
yloponom68
DJB14
naxroy
Silver
whocares
Calder106
Jeremy_Kyle
slashermcguirk
andyi
Josiah Maiestas
ChequeredJersey
AlciG
DirectView
banbrotam
88Chris05
TopoftheChops
Born Slippy
skyeman
antonico
Gerry SA
bogbrush
super_realist
kemet
sirfredperry
laverfan
kingraf
Jahu
The Special Juan
CaledonianCraig
HM Murdock
Danny_1982
43 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

French Open discussion thread Empty French Open discussion thread

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:31 am

Born Slippy wrote:Murray is surely going to go all out attack in the SF. I can't see him beating Nadal who is starting to look close to his peak form. However, if he can give him a tough match that will be very encouraging for Wimbledon.

Yep, it'll be all guns blazing I imagine. Going after every return he can and trying to end points quickly. It'll be fun to watch, but if you offered me a 4 set defeat for Muzza now I'd bite your hand off.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

French Open discussion thread Empty Re: French Open discussion thread

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:39 am

Quote from Ferrer:

"I should perhaps apologize for all those who watched me play. Rafael started playing a lot better, making fewer mistakes, and then it's like I threw in the towel. I don't usually do this, but I thought, 'I'm not going to be able to come back into the match. I thought, No, no, not against Rafa."

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:40 am

I think Andy will go out all aggressively against Nadal. He has to mix it up though because if he coughs up the errors, Nadal will jump all over him.

It's only Djokovic who can soak up the Nadal pressure on clay.

Either way Andy would've chewed your hand off if you had offered him a SF at the start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:42 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Quote from Ferrer:

"I should perhaps apologize for all those who watched me play. Rafael started playing a lot better, making fewer mistakes, and then it's like I threw in the towel. I don't usually do this, but I thought, 'I'm not going to be able to come back into the match. I thought, No, no, not against Rafa."

Interesting.

From what I saw he just kept coughing up errors on his FH and it was frustrating to watch.

I just hope Andy doesn't do the same thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:46 am

Did Andy actually have a problem with the leg he kept rubbing yesterday, or is it now purely a mannerism? He seemed in discomfort against Kohly too.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:46 am

Just now I feel it will be a no-lose semi for Andy as far as I am concerned. Even if he loses he goes away with 720 gold-edged points and another slam semi at RG under his belt to further pour scorn on the myth he is useless on clay. I don't even want to contemplate a win as I don't think it will happen but as long as Andy is aggressive and goes down fighting then we can ask for no more than that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:47 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Did Andy actually have a problem with the leg he kept rubbing yesterday, or is it now purely a mannerism? He seemed in discomfort against Kohly too.

I'd guess it was just a touch of more cramp as it was against Kohli.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:49 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:Did Andy actually have a problem with the leg he kept rubbing yesterday, or is it now purely a mannerism? He seemed in discomfort against Kohly too.

That's a concern then. He's a very fit guy, I wouldn't exect him to be cramping sets 3 and 4.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

Andy looked dead on his feet in set 4. That is a concern.

I thought what was even more remarkable was Santoro thinking Andy at the end of the match looked fresher than Monfils!! Not sure what match he was watching.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:56 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

That's a concern then. He's a very fit guy, I wouldn't exect him to be cramping sets 3 and 4.

I am not a fitness expert but have heard talk that being out with back surgery limited the pre-season fitness work he did in Miami and couple that with him not having played a five set match since last Wimbledon he has pushed his fitness to the limit here and so cramp perhaps becomes a problem.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 9:54 am

I'll go against the grain and say it's a mannerism which only appears when he's losing.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:30 am

Yes, including hitting his legs with racket.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:38 am

Anyone fancy Bouchard for the upset today against Screamapova?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

I hope so, but will be tough for Bouch.  Fingers Crossed 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:02 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Anyone fancy Bouchard for the upset today against Screamapova?

I do. The way she took Kerber apart was one of the best women's displays I've seen from someone other than Serena in a long time.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:08 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Anyone fancy Bouchard for the upset today against Screamapova?
I just generally quite fancy Bouchard.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

It's very windy today. That'll favour Bouchard as we all know what Sharapova's serve is like...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:22 am

HM Murdoch wrote:

She is mighty fine... Nothing like Caroline, though. Or the eternally gorgeous Ivanovic. But she is fit.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

kingraf wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

She is mighty fine... Nothing like Caroline, though. Or the eternally gorgeous Ivanovic. But she is fit.
And with your relative youth, can think that of Ms Bouchard without any guilt.

Sadly, I'm approaching the age where thinking that of a 20 year old is in the hinterland surrounding creepiness.

But I agree with you quite freely on the 23 year old Caroline and 26 year old Ana.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:53 am

Some ridiculous stats from the 6-0 4th set of Rafa v Daveed yesterday:

Rafa had zero unforced errors (very impressive)

Rafa hit 5 winners (in a set he won 6-0?!)

Out of 35 points played, Daveed made 13 unforced errors. Shocking.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
kingraf wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Sadly, I'm approaching the age where thinking that of a 20 year old is in the hinterland surrounding creepiness.

But I agree with you quite freely on the 23 year old Caroline and 26 year old Ana.

Like the creepy 30-year old who lives in my apartment block always says, "The age of consent is a fluid idea."
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:38 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Some ridiculous stats from the 6-0 4th set of Rafa v Daveed yesterday:

Rafa had zero unforced errors (very impressive)

Rafa hit 5 winners (in a set he won 6-0?!)

Out of 35 points played, Daveed made 13 unforced errors. Shocking.

I think when Rafa is able to baton down the hatches (especially on clay) it is nigh on impossible to hit through the guy.

As fit as Daveed it is just amazing how much effort he must've put into winning that first set!!

I just hope Andy doesn't make the same mistake tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:45 pm

kingraf wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
kingraf wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Like the creepy 30-year old who lives in my apartment block always says, "The age of consent is a fluid idea."  

The Men who stare at GOATs laughing

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:02 pm

I think more rubbish gets written (not necessarily by those on this board) about Monfils than practically any other player.
  This is a guy with so many natural gifts. But really his record is VERY ordinary. He took the other three junior GS titles when Andy won the junior USO in 04 and seemed set for a glittering career.
  But he's won just FOUR titles (Andy has 28) and his GS record is patchy. There's hardly been any weeks in the top 10 and all this talk about his athleticism is not winning him tennis matches and, besides, he's always getting injured.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : taking out a word)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:18 pm

sirfredperry wrote:I think more rubbish gets written (not necessarily by those on this board) about Monfils than practically any other player.
  This is a guy with so many natural gifts. But really his record is VERY ordinary. He took the other three junior GS titles when Andy won the junior USO in 04 and seemed set for a glittering career.
  But he's won just FOUR titles (Andy has 28) and his GS record is patchy. There's hardly been any weeks in the top 10 and all this talk about his athleticism is not winning him tennis matches and, besides, he's always getting injured.

Being athletically gifted in a skill sport can be a curse, especially, if, like Monfils, yours comes out early. 6'4, arms that go on for days, serious leg power, easy power on both wings - it's difficult to think too many teenagers are going to live with that. The comprehensiveness of his gifts unfortunately lead to some nasty habits.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:23 pm

Still as a fan not particularly vested in his success - his win/loss ratio doesn't bother me, long as he keeps the highlight reel on.
http://70.img.v4.skyrock.net/700/gael-monfils-22/pics/1086454306_small.jpg
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:24 pm

Still as a fan not particularly vested in his success - his win/loss ratio doesn't bother me, long as he keeps the highlight reel on.
http://70.img.v4.skyrock.net/700/gael-monfils-22/pics/1086454306_small.jpg
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:25 pm

I just realized Rafael Nadal has only lost one best-of-five set clay court tennis match in the last nine years. This is quite an impressive statistic. There are those who have come close, but I really cannot see past a ninth Roland Garros crown for Rafa come Sunday.

Even at his current reduced powers, Rafa is way too formidable and will grind anyone (including Novak) down on the terre battue.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

I hope not, I despise that worst of all celebrations. The trophy bite.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

I wonder what odds you can get on a Murray victory tomorrow. I recall Soderling being 1000/1......

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:10 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I wonder what odds you can get on a Murray victory tomorrow. I recall Soderling being 1000/1......

I've checked. A paltry 5/1!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:12 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I wonder what odds you can get on a Murray victory tomorrow. I recall Soderling being 1000/1......

I've checked. A paltry 5/1!

5/1??????

Pathetic!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:19 pm

kemet wrote:I just realized Rafael Nadal has only lost one best-of-five set clay court tennis match in the last nine years. This is quite an impressive statistic. There are those who have come close, but I really cannot see past a ninth Roland Garros crown for Rafa come Sunday.

Even at his current reduced powers, Rafa is way too formidable and will grind anyone (including Novak) down on the terre battue.
Nadal's only hope is it to be baking hot so he can kick his forehand really high. A dank day will see a straight sets win for Djokovic.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Bouchy breaks!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

bogbrush wrote:
kemet wrote:I just realized Rafael Nadal has only lost one best-of-five set clay court tennis match in the last nine years. This is quite an impressive statistic. There are those who have come close, but I really cannot see past a ninth Roland Garros crown for Rafa come Sunday.

Nadal's only hope is it to be baking hot so he can kick his forehand really high. A dank day will see a straight sets win for Djokovic.

It should be. 30 degrees C + on the Saturday.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:36 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

It should be. 30 degrees C + on the Saturday.

Ah but what is the forecast for Sunday? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

It should be.  30 degrees C + on the Saturday.

Ah but what is the forecast for Sunday? Wink
25deg but chance of thunder storm. 74% humidity.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

Great conditions for Murray Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:49 pm

Yeah, a good chance of Djokovic being hit by lightning!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

When does the men's final start?

As the threat of showers is minimal between 2pm-6pm

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:54 pm

bogbrush wrote:

There's an important factor you are overlooking: Novak generally ar$es up the big moments at slams!

Forecast for Paris on Sunday is 24 degrees, AM clouds, PM sun. Probably not a huge advantage for either player, should they be the two who make it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

Gerry SA wrote:When does the men's final start?

Rafa and Novak should be able to squeeze maybe two sets in then.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

There's an important factor you are overlooking: Novak generally ar$es up the big moments at slams!

Forecast for Paris on Sunday is 24 degrees, AM clouds, PM sun. Probably not a huge advantage for either player, should they be the two who make it.

Djokovic should be fine.

I just hope it isn't breezey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:58 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

I was thinking maybe enough time to complete one set...epic 121 point TB...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm

Bouchard might just be the hottest girl on the tour.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm

Might be?

Even hotter than Stosur? Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

You've obviously not budgeted for the 4000 shot rally which opens proceedings
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

Hotness is subjective. She's fit, for sure, but I would sell my godchild for a crack at Ivanovic... Well circa 2008 Ana in any case. Got a soft spot for Li Na as well. Serious thighs on her.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:17 pm

I have to admit I would've sold my house and family for a shot at Kournikova in her pre Enrique years!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:22 pm

Gisela Dulko was a beauty...shame Mrs Gerry didn't like me pointing that out... censored 

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next