The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Cotto the new money fight?

+7
hazharrison
Dipper Brown
jimdig
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Derbymanc
Rodney
kingraf
11 posters

Go down

Is Cotto the new money fight? Empty Is Cotto the new money fight?

Post by kingraf Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:31 am

Watching Sunday mornings events unfold was tough viewing as a Martinez fan, but the king is dead, long live the king, savvy?

Has Miguel Cotto become the money fight in world boxing? I mean, he's a lot more beatable than Floyd, and probably pays just as well. I imagine Mayweather will be feeling like 160lbs isn't really that far out his comfort zone, while Manny's team must be on the interweb searching to see if there's ever been a 9-division champion, or a five weight lineal champion. Alvarez and Oscar are probably looking at this and thinking "this is perfect", while the person responsible for matchmaking in team Chavez must have looked at Margarito I and thought, "my guy is a just as tough, and much bigger". Just think Cotto is now a mark for everyone from light middle to the lighter Super middles. Never been the type to take easy fights, so I'm genuinely interested to see where this goes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Is Cotto the new money fight? Empty Re: Is Cotto the new money fight?

Post by Rodney Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:48 am

Probably agree with every word of above King , the worrying thing for me is potentially (again) the best middleweight in the world is likely to be frozen out of the picture & not get his shot at the lineal belt. The PPV brand will rear its ugly head in a new division now.

cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:04 am

Sounds about right King, and agree with both you and Rodders (shock I know ;-)

One of the problems is that the sport has accepted things like this happening for a while and the governing bodies aren't in it for the good of the sport, just the money.

Titles should never be fought for at catchweights but what can we really do about it?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

Apart from the bit where you say he probs pays there same as Floyd (he doesn't) your not far off.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:35 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Apart from the bit where you say he probs pays there same as Floyd (he doesn't) your not far off.

Bobby G got $3m for Floyd. Marcos got half that, in a PPV fight, facing Cotto isn't going to get you too far off that ballpark.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:40 am

As most think on here GGG vs cotto won't happen for risk reward reasons. Canelo v cotto is probable though (if Canelo gets past a very difficult Lara fight).
For me Canelo v cotto is my preferred match up for cotto next on his pencilled in date for December at MSG. I would not doubt for a second (ok maybe for a second), if Canelo beat cotto he'd fight GGG. It's also the only scenerio in which I see ggg getting to challenge for the lineal middleweight championship.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:53 am

I think Canelo is nailed on for Cotto if he beats Lara.

Catch weights are always a shame, but it's the way things are going with the 'A side fighter' having all the pull and power.

For all the cynicism, I thought Cotto was terrific. The atmosphere was incredible and they Boricuas idolise him. Here's my favourite picture of the night

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:54 am

Well, I though I attached a picture there. How do I do that?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:17 am

Cotto does decent PPV numbers - hence the reason Floyd fought him.

Canelo was locked into three PPV dates this year. Cotto would fulfil the latter, however, there are all manner of rumours swirling around. I've heard:

Cotto vs Chavez Jr.
Canelo vs Pacquiao

I'd much rather Cotto vs Alvarez or Golovkin.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:15 am

Assuming he gets past Lara, you'd have thought  cotto Alvarez is a shoe in, but manny Alvarez would be an interesting fight, with some interesting weight restriction debates. Cotto v junior? Well David slayed Goliath.

Given the tasty fights coming Alvarez way, you can just hear the brown bags for the judges in the Lara fight creaking at the seams as they cram the extra dollars in.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:22 am

Yep, Lara will have to beat the snot out of him to get a decision.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:36 am

Most, if not all, of you thought Martinez would beat Cotto so don't be too hasty in predicting a win for Alvarez...the egg still hasn't dried on some of your faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:41 am

I would like GGG to be given his opportunity to shine first of all, but in the real world I anticipate that won't happen. However Cotto vs Canelo would be attractive match & a pick'em, truly believe Cotto can outbox Canelo and he has better skills, if he can keep it up for 12 rounds is another thing.

cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:56 am

RODDERS

Does this mean then that if Cotto was to win, Alvarez would once again become a "hype job" (give the lack of credit Cotto gets for winning at the weekend)?

Back to top Go down

Post by and_still Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

I admit, seeing Cotto demolish the shell of Martinez is certainly food for thought. It'd be a shame if he doesn't take on Golovkin within the next 12 months, as during that period of time its likely we could see Cotto fall off. The only other fight for Cotto is Alvarez, I have no interest in seeing Cotto vs Mayweather again.

and_still

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:41 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Most, if not all, of you thought Martinez would beat Cotto so don't be too hasty in predicting a win for Alvarez...the egg still hasn't dried on some of your faces

I thought Martinez would leather Cotto. I didn't anticipate him turning up in such poor shape (and to be fair, Cotto looking that good).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm

Cotto is a big money fight for the likes of GGG, Mayweather, Chavez Jnr and even Froch because he is very beatable.

If Trout can beat him then anyone can.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:50 pm

I've heard Alvarez V Lara is not being held at the 154 limit, this true? Certainly pushes things in Canelo's favour if true.

I wouldn't be as put off by a Mayweather rematch as most people, the first fight was highly entertaining and gave weight to the idea of 08 Cotto being a serious threat to Mayweather. He's one of the smartest, most composed pressure fighters of his era, plus he's a converted southpaw, and a strong left hand is a big part of getting to Floyd. See Castillo, Judah, Oscar. Granted, Mayweather becoming the middleweight champion then going nowhere near Golovkin would be hard to swallow, but Cotto v Mayweather II would probably be a highly entertaining fight.

If I was Eubank Sr and actually believed my talk I'd be gagging to put Jr in with Cotto right now!

Perfect world, Cotto v Golovkin
Real world, Cotto v Mayweather or Alvarez

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

Wonder if Bradley Pryce will make the jump up to MW and claim his seat at the table?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down