The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one?

+15
milkyboy
Gerry SA
Seanusarrilius
catchweight
Mayweathers cellmate
88Chris05
3fingers
AdamT
Rodney
ONETWOFOREVER
captain carrantuohil
Alistair
theanimal316
hazharrison
hampo17
19 posters

Go down

Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one? Empty Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one?

Post by hampo17 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:40 am

By Paul Hampton, @v2boxing.

Following his win at Wembley, Carl Froch (33-2, 24kos) has said he wants a mega fight in America and his promoter Eddie Hearn seems set on making that happen. The Cobra is determined to headline a big show in Las Vegas before he hangs the gloves up, and while talks have begun for Froch to face his mandatory challenger James Degale (19-1, 13kos), a big show in Las Vegas against Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jr (48-1-1, 32kos) would be hard to turn down.

Hearn said: “There are three realistic options – Mikkel Kessler III, James DeGale and Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr. I don’t think Carl is in any rush to fight again and I don’t think in his mind he is 100 per cent about coming back. It is all about the opportunity.”

“The fight in Vegas is what he really wants to do. If the right offer doesn’t come up then I am quite confident he will hang up his gloves.”

“All three are good opportunities and it will come down to the specifics but Vegas really is the big draw for Carl. It’s what he wants. Right now I am going over the options and have already spoken to DeGale and plan to talk to Bob Arum (Chavez’s promoter) on Tuesday night.”

“We will start talks and see what can be done and what is possible. I would like to look at the end of November or December in Vegas.”

One problem could be the marketability of the fight itself. Held in Vegas it would unlikely be deemed PPV worthy over there, Froch doesn’t have a following in America, and will be deemed a smaller draw the Brian Vera who faced Chavez Jr in March.

While a fight with Degale would be big over here, once again it doesn’t sell in other parts of the world and would do little to get Froch closer to that big show in Las Vegas that he so desperately craves, a rematch with Mikkel Kessler (46-3, 35kos) is unlikely to grab the attention of the hardcore fans due the belief that Kessler has seen better days and shouldn’t be making a comeback.

If Froch is still not 100% about returning to the ring then he needs to hurry up and make up his mind, rumours from America that Arum is still pushing for Chavez to face Golovkin next and if that happens, Froch could miss his ticket to Las Vegas.

http://www.v2boxing.com/1/post/2014/06/froch-has-plenty-of-options-but-which-one-is-the-right-one.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one? Empty Re: Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one?

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:52 am

Chavez-Vera 1 drew 4000. The rematch 7000. Does anyone really believe Chavez vs Froch would draw less than that?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one? Empty Re: Froch has plenty of options, but which one is the right one?

Post by theanimal316 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm

I'd like to see him fight B-Hop. As boring as Hopkins style is I am intrigued to see if Froch can figure it out. Think Hopkins is a big enough name also for a Vegas fight between the pair and it gives Froch a chance to be a 2 weight world champion. Mind you he makes SMW so easy he may be reluctant to step up a division. Although I bet Froch would never take that fight. He is obsessed with his own legacy and can you imagine the psychological scars of losing to a 50 year old man who his old nemesis Joe beat 6 years ago??

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:07 pm

I'd like to see Froch take the Chavez fight and make eyes at Ward to see if he can tempt him into a rematch. If Froch can do a destruction job on Chavez it might draw Ward in.

I know people are of the opinion that Ward wins all day long but i'm not convinced. I think Froch would fight differently, much the same way he did against Groves.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:07 pm

Listening to Froch after the second Groves fight, he sounded at times to be in far more elegiac mood than I've ever heard from him. Retirement seemed to have crossed his mind to a much greater extent. The one missing item from his CV, as he has repeatedly mentioned, is a fight in Vegas, which will obviously need to sell tickets to be a worthwhile exercise.

The Americans won't flock to see DeGale or Kessler III, it's as simple as that. Such a fight certainly wouldn't give Carl the headline status that he craves, either. With Ward II apparently a non-starter, that leaves only Chavez as the right opponent for the right venue. In essence, I think that Froch's options can be narrowed to two - retirement or a swansong at the modern home of boxing against the big name (although much lesser talent) and money-spinning potential represented by Chavez jnr. Either would be fine, but increasingly, Froch deciding to call it an honourable day wouldn't surprise me at all.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

Alistair wrote:I'd like to see Froch take the Chavez fight and make eyes at Ward to see if he can tempt him into a rematch. If Froch can do a destruction job on Chavez it might draw Ward in.

I know people are of the opinion that Ward wins all day long but i'm not convinced. I think Froch would fight differently, much the same way he did against Groves.

Still would not help him. I seriously doubt that Carl would risk his final outing getting completly outclassed as the first fight. Froch is smarter then that.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:11 pm

theanimal316 wrote:I'd like to see him fight B-Hop.  As boring as Hopkins style is I am intrigued to see if Froch can figure it out.  Think Hopkins is a big enough name also for a Vegas fight between the pair and it gives Froch a chance to be a 2 weight world champion.  Mind you he makes SMW so easy he may be reluctant to step up a division.  Although I bet Froch would never take that fight.  He is obsessed with his own legacy and can you imagine the psychological scars of losing to a 50 year old man who his old nemesis Joe beat 6 years ago??

Hopkins would be the trilogy in my Vegas scenario.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm

Hopkins ?? For the love of god NO !! Why would anyone want that ?

I have a harrowing vision of Hopkins spoiling, frustrating and nicking a points win. For us to be told Froch couldnt beat a 50 year old. Hopkins seems pencilled in for a Stevenson fight anyhow. I'd love Carl to face GGG in a headliner, but Chavez Jnr seems the most suitable and sensible option to all parties.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:21 pm

Hi Rodney,

For me it’s the Calzaghe factor. We all know it still eats away at Froch.

I know it’s all hypothetical’s, but, say he beats Chavez and scores a points win over Ward, do you not think Hopkins would be the final curtain on a brilliant career and put him above Calzaghe in the GOAT list?

For me; regardless of B-Hops age, it would still sell, especially off the back of a win over Ward, and the yanks would love it, Hopkins going up against another Brit fighter, looking to avenge his Calzaghe loss. That would sell for me. And Froch’s ego would grow at the mere mention of the ‘C’ word.

Cheers,

Ali

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:25 pm

Alistair wrote:Hi Rodney,

For me it’s the Calzaghe factor. We all know it still eats away at Froch.

I know it’s all hypothetical’s, but, say he beats Chavez and scores a points win over Ward, do you not think Hopkins would be the final curtain on a brilliant career and put him above Calzaghe in the GOAT list?

For me; regardless of B-Hops age, it would still sell, especially off the back of a win over Ward, and the yanks would love it, Hopkins going up against another Brit fighter, looking to avenge his Calzaghe loss. That would sell for me. And Froch’s ego would grow at the mere mention of the ‘C’ word.

Cheers,

Ali

The problem I see with that Ali is by the time that takes place, considering Froch fights twice a year, B-Hop could be 52 and it surely only a matter of time before father time finally gets him. If he fights B-Hop it needs to be Autumn this year.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:26 pm

GGG in Last Vegas. That is more than likely never to happen so Chavez and if he wins that, fight Degale at Wembley then call it a day.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm

Alistair, if he were to beat Ward he'd eclipse Joe for me, sturdier CV with the biggie added of him being the man which has been missing from the otherwise excellent Froch CV. He doesn't need Hopkins to do this, lets say he steamrolled old Bernard it wouldn't prove any point over Calzaghes win, that was 7 years ago and Hopkins has been beaten since. Its a do not touch fight for team Froch for me.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:40 pm

Strange how the three options proposed by Eddie are fights that froch would be expected to win. Fancy that.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:42 pm

I'd rather see froch direll 2 than froch kessler 3. At keast he could answer some unresolved questions.....and the fight coukd be made in America I guess.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm

That fight wouldn't answer anything for me personally 3fingers. Dirrell hasn't fought in over a year, and has only fought once since 2011. He mentally checked out of boxing after the Abraham fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

On reflexion you're right hampo.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:57 pm

Dirrell - what a waste. It was nothing more than just a bit of inexperience and naivety which cost him that fight against Froch, for me.

Shame he's effectively jacked it in since, as it may well have ended up looking like the Pascal victory on Froch's resume; pretty decent at the time, but more and more impressive as the vanquished pressed on and picked up good results / titles afterwards. Also would have made for a good opponent for Ward right now. We've not seen Ward have to deal with someone as fast (perhaps even faster) than him yet, and with a slippery style to boot.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:00 pm

Yup.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:01 pm

Froch vs Chazev in Vegas. Mega money for froch, who deserves it, then retire win lose or draw.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:22 pm

Rodney wrote:Alistair, if he were to beat Ward he'd eclipse Joe for me, sturdier CV with the biggie added of him being the man which has been missing from the otherwise excellent Froch CV. He doesn't need Hopkins to do this, lets say he steamrolled old Bernard it wouldn't prove any point over Calzaghes win, that was 7 years ago and Hopkins has been beaten since. Its a do not touch fight for team Froch for me.

Cheers Rodders

When you put it like that, Rodney, it makes sense to avoid.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 11 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

Golovkin, Kovalov or Stevenson would be outstanding. I think the whole Vegas thing is as much an angle to make a Chavez fight as anything else. As in his dream is to fight in Vegas before he retires (if the opponent is a cash cow like Chavez).

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

Froch is popular enough now that he'd take a couple thousand of his own fans to Vegas, maybe more. There is no right fight for me when it comes to Froch. He has reached his zenith and any fight now won't add to his legacy. Not unless he fights Ward again, but he can't win that fight.

If Froch wants to fight Chavez, then that's the fight to take. He is rich and has had a very good career. Finishing with a win at Wembley in front of 80,000 people is the best way possible to go out, but if he wants one more in Vegas, so be it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:38 pm

With andre out the picture I'd prefer to see froch in against anthony or sakio biko over the kesler, golovkin, jccjr, or degale.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:38 pm

...in vegas

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:42 pm

No more Kessler fights for me. Not interested in Bika, either. Wouldn't mind Degale, but only for smack talk and because it's an all-British fight

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:09 pm

I'm only interested in the bika fight because its between to hard fighters that arent great technicians, both with great chins. I'm sure it would be a cracking fight.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:12 pm

It could be billed as a unification fight so froch could make a few quid and pick up the wbc title.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

Even if it wouldnt make him the man it would still be nice for him to look back and say "I held 3 world title belts at the same time".

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:30 pm

I'm not sure where Hearn and Froch get the idea that a Chavez Jr fight would be 'a mega PPV in Las Vegas'.

Firstly since Chavez Jr's ass kicking against Martinez and subsequent failed drugs test. HBO hasn't even bothered to offer him a PPV to headline.

Secondly after his failed drugs test, he's had to fight in Texas and California, as he was struggling to obtain an Nevada fight licence.

Thirdly would HBO ready put big cash on the table for a fight for the IBF title and a paper WBA title, when they already have the real WBA champion on their roster?

Throw into to the mix that Chavez Jr has all ways refused to stand on the unofficial HBO rehydration scales, therefor he wouldn't be able to win the IBF title, as they have a mandatory rehydration secondary weigh in.

So Chavez Jr vs Froch would be a fight for a pretend WBA title. And all the revenue that Chavez's name brings in America.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm

3fingers wrote:Even if it wouldnt make him the man it would still be nice for him to look back and say "I held 3 world title belts at the same time".
"... and yet was a distant 2nd best in the world at my weight"

One minute its about legacy, then its about fulfilling the vegas dream. Legacy means ward, or ggg if he wants to prove how much of a warrior he is... without going to light heavy which he's ruled out.

vegas dream can only be chavez, assuming it just takes a friendly whisper in the ear of the nevada commission to sort it out. They've mislaid a few of mayweather's test results so i'm sure could be encouraged to find a loophole for junior.

Can't see anything else that isn't anti-climactic for superstar.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:27 pm

Would you really rather see Froch take on Bika than Golovkin, Stevenson or Kovalov just so he can tell his kids he held three alphabet titles at once?

There will probably be 20 belts in circulation by the time his kids are old enough to understand in any event so three wont sound all that impressive.

I cant see how Froch v Golovkin/Kovalov would be anything other than a barnstormer.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:46 pm

No I'd like to see it because it'd be a good fight between two relatively crude sluggers with great chins at smw...a weight which none of ggg, stevenson or kovalev are.

I mentioned the belts because it would be billed and sold to the public as a unification fight, maybe in vegas. The general public in the UK probably know less about bika than they do groves, so they can apply any spin the like. Holding three belts simultaneously is something to brag down the pub when he's retired.....but only to people who've never heard of ward!

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 11:53 am

The more I think about it, retirement seems to be the best option. What can top beating GG in front of 80,000 at Wembley? For a man who prides himself on his legacy, now might be the time, especially since I think the GG win will look better as time goes on and Groves picks up SMW titles.

Only thing that I think of that can top it for him is if he fights and beats Ward at the City Ground which won't happen. He has taken a phenomenal amount of punishment over the years. I don't think another fight or 2 against anyone other than Ward will help his legacy.

Unless of course, Carl wishes to fight on. Although I am not a fan of the ultimate warrior persons, he has earned the right to do what he wants, even if it is to cherry pick an opponent that is not the biggest threat but will ensure a massive retirement fund for him.

Good luck Carl.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Dirrell - what a waste. It was nothing more than just a bit of inexperience and naivety which cost him that fight against Froch, for me.

Shame he's effectively jacked it in since, as it may well have ended up looking like the Pascal victory on Froch's resume; pretty decent at the time, but more and more impressive as the vanquished pressed on and picked up good results / titles afterwards. Also would have made for a good opponent for Ward right now. We've not seen Ward have to deal with someone as fast (perhaps even faster) than him yet, and with a slippery style to boot.

Signing a promotional contract with 50 Cent sure was a genius move...

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm

Chavez. It makes so much sense and, IMO, just WILL happen.

1. It will make far more money than Ward, who, albeit brilliant, is not exciting and, let's be honest, everyone with their head screwed on right knows it'd be the same outcome as the previous fight. I really can’t believe anyone but the most demented Froch fan wants to see this fight.

2. It's an instant shot at two (possibly - don't know if he'd have to vacate the IBF if he shirked DeGale to take this) SMW belts for Chavez.

3. Chavez has a great chin and Froch isn't too hard to hit so his people would fancy he could win it.

4. Exactly the same vice-versa.

5. It'll likely be a cracking tear-up.

6. Carl wants the whole Vegas 'thing' so his ego's on board right from the off.

I would be amazed if Froch/Chavez doesn't happen. It just hits all the right notes on all the reasons match-ups get made.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:31 pm

All these bitter fans who predicted a Groves win.....

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:46 pm

Hampo171 wrote:Hearn said: “There are three realistic options – Mikkel Kessler III, James DeGale and Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr. I don’t think Carl is in any rush to fight again and I don’t think in his mind he is 100 per cent about coming back. It is all about the opportunity.”

Same thing Eddie came out with after the Froch v Groves 1 fight.  

Sounds like a sales pitch "Roll up, roll up, last chance to see Carl Froch in the square circle!!!".

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:09 pm

he's at the stage where he can pretty much do what he wants.
if he wants chavez in vegas, do it.

of course it's not ward, who a win over would cement his status as one of britain's best ever fighters but it's not an exciting fight, it's not a big sell and it's one he is likely to lose.

calzaghe didn't beat anyone who dominated the division like ward. hopkins is his best win, and it's a great win, but hopkins has lost a few times to much lesser fighters than ward.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:14 pm

OasisBFC wrote:he's at the stage where he can pretty much do what he wants.
if he wants chavez in vegas, do it.

of course it's not ward, who a win over would cement his status as one of britain's best ever fighters but it's not an exciting fight, it's not a big sell and it's one he is likely to lose.

calzaghe didn't beat anyone who dominated the division like ward. hopkins is his best win, and it's a great win, but hopkins has lost a few times to much lesser fighters than ward.

I put Calzaghe's win over an unbeaten and prime Kessler above Hopkins, and arguably his win over Lacy. And in Calzaghe's defence, he couldn't bet anyone who dominated the division since he was the one dominating it along with kessler at the time.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down