The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook's Options

+7
Derbymanc
catchweight
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
Gerry SA
monzon
Valero's Conscience
11 posters

Go down

Brook's Options Empty Brook's Options

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:18 am

Now Brook has a legit world title he has a few options and it appears Mayweather/Khan/Brook are linked together.

Khan has rejected Matchroom's offers before with Khan saying Brook has nothing to offer. Now he has the title, he has plenty to take to the table.

Khan will no doubt drag out his next fight announcement until after the Mayweather/Maidana fight, however if Mayweather doesn't confirm Khan as his next opponent for May, Khan may want to get a chance of getting Brook's belt to increase his own stock to secure the Mayweather fight rather than face Alexanger or Guerrero as rumoured.

If I was Brook I would might have a homecoming fight in the UK early 2015 and then maybe wait for Khan to lose against Mayweather then have a huge UK bout for late 2015.

Do you think Brook you milk the title by having an easy fight next against a low ranked opponent then go for a big name fight or do you think he'll go straight for Khan?

Ps - could you imagine Brook got Mayweather next within a few weeks of getting a title after Khan's 2 year struggle?!? That would be funny!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Brook's Options Empty Re: Brook's Options

Post by monzon Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

Don't think Mayweather would want to fight Brook, really, for several reasons.

I'd fight Frankie Gavin in Sheffield, seems like a bit of a sitting duck to me. Then have a big support somewhere in the States, maybe against Devon Alexander. Khan a year or so down the line in Manchester.

I wouldn't be in a rush to jump in with Thurman, anyway, and Maidana's still a bit too live at this point.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:33 am

Brook has very limited options. There's no way he gets a unification with either Mayweather or PacMan. And I highly doubt Marquez would travel to Sheffield, when he gets more money fighting PacMan for the 1000th time. 

Brook has three options:
1. Khan
2. Bundu
3. Gavin

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

See now that's the problem with our 'sport'.

Maidana is still too live for Brook? He is a legitimate world title holder in a stacked division. That's the fights he SHOULD be taking. Khan took him on in 2010 when he was younger and fresher and had been slated for his chin.

Gavin has just loss so Brook will probably go for it.

What's going to be interesting is WHO he actually fights now he is champion....because a lot of them are a lot better than Porter based on last night.

Thurman, Khan, Pacquiao, Garcia moving up, Mayweather, Bradley, Provodnikov at WW, JMM....big list.

He can't now avoid big fights or fight unknown quantities that he has been doing prior to last night.

I think he stops Marcos......late on.....I think Thurman knocks brook out and a fight with Khan is 50/50 purely because of Khan's apparent chin otherwise he boxes brooks head off to a UD.

brook vs jmm would be good to watch and would brook vs Bradley if he gets back up the ladder.

He SHOULD now be going on to build his legacy and start fighting the very best.

Its harder to keep hold than to win....unless your Scott Quigg.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:41 am

Not being funny but making some of those fights is near on impossible; Bradley, Marquez and Pacquiao will kept in house by Arum while Mayweather wouldn't go near him because of the lack of name draw.

Thurman or Khan are the fights he should target but predictably Moby you can't admit you're wrong and are already lambasting him for decisions he's yet to make.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:43 am

I don't see Mayweather picking Brook at all either - just would be funny considering Khan's chase of him!

I think Brook will fight a low ranked opponent in the UK early next year which Matchroom and Sky Sports will massively hype then look for a big name fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:47 am

How am I wrong sorry Hammer. I'm not blasting any decision because none have been made.

Of he fights Frankie Gavin in his next fight can we say that's a legitimate 50/50 title fight?? It would be an utter farce so no idea why it was mentioned. The guy can't beat euro level let alone fight at world level.

He may have to travel though hammer if he wants the paydays and the big fights. After all he was dreaming of it at the age of 8. Look at Khan. He had to pretty much move abroad to fight the likes of Judah, Malignaggi, Garcia, Collazo, Maidana......yet on his home fights he fought McKloskey and Salita...two easy fights which he didn't get credit for and rightly so.

Hopefully brook fights similar talent and tries to unify the division...but if he ain't willing to go out of Sheffield for it hammer then he won't be fulfilling his true potential.

Last night he looked good at times and probably would have been even better had Porter not been so crude.

I'm not slating Brook hear, I'm just asking why we think Gavin is a justified opponent and also that he should have to travel unfortunately to get those big names on his resume. Apart from Khan of course.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:52 am

You've just proved my exact point, you're blasting him for things that haven't even happened, in fairness to Khan none of his opposition are at the level of the 147lb big four.

The only option of unification is Thurman and I see no reason why Brook should have to travel to make that fight, both are in similar positions, not at the top of the division both hold a strap and neither are going to be getting the big paydays any time soon.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:55 am

They should go for Khan asap if they want to make sure the fight gets made. If Khan wins his next fight he might get someone better than Brook. If he loses, the fight loses its appeal.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:57 am

Of course their not at that level hammer. Pacquiao and Floyd are notches above at Welter as is JMM.

How am I proving your point? I just mentioned that IF he fought Gavin, then in my opinion, that would be pathetic.

I think he should fight some world ranked opposition now he has a title....just like Khan did. Just like most title holders except quigg do.

Thurman seems like a tough mudder though mate so he COULD travel.

Its ridiculous that boxers won't travel to be fair. But...hopefully we will see Brook maximising his talent against a world class operator in his next fight.

Maybe an Alexander or something.

But, and this is just my opinion, I feel he will fight someone of poor quality who will be hyped up by salesman Hearn and his ridiculous sky biased commentary and people WILL believe it.

Hope I'm wrong, but based on recent fights, I wouldn't be surprised.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:58 am

I can see an easy fight first put on Sky Sports to see what the fan base could be just for him (See if it's got a lot bigger now he's champion)

Then Khan on PPV, not sure if it'll be at Wembley though unless there's some major major hyping up of it first.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:58 am

Yeh you would think so Catch but people on here are having FRANKIE GAVIN as a possibility after his recent euro loss.

Does anyone know why this kid has been mentioned as a possible fight? It's thrown me off and confused me a lot.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:00 pm

The sky commentary was really biased last night from what i've heard but not in favour of Brook.

I really can't be bothered discussing Brook with you, you're so blinded by an irrational hatred that it's a futile exercise.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:09 pm

I can see them wanting an opponent that Brook will look good against to establish his credentials after what was a kind of scrappy and disappointing fight. If they do want Khan though, then its risky letting that one simmer as it could easily go up in smoke for a few reasons. Khan is a risk but its a big money fight. I think both Khan and Brook want it and it makes sense for both fighters.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

First of all, delighted for Brook. Really proved he can mix it at the top level.

Brook is now in an interesting position. The other two champions are arguably all time greats, provide huge payday opportunities for their opponents but (at times) have looked a level above the rest of the division.

Anyone looking to pick up a strap will be targeting Brook as the weakest of the champions. The depth of quality at WW means it's not the kind of division you can dip your toe in and protect your belt, racking up easy defence after easy defence. Brook has proven the doubters wrong in stepping up to the highest level but there's no going back now. I think Devon Alexander, Khan, Guerrero, Porter (again) will be looking at a fight with Brook.

For me after an inevitable voluntary he should be looking at the biggest fight right away, which would be Khan. Career payday and a massive boost if he wins, no shame in losing to Khan either (even though some dispute his credentials as a full blown WW). In my opinion it's at best a 50/50 for Kell but something we all want to see and worth the risk.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:30 pm

Don't think Brook has the fan base to fight bum after bum and sell out arenas. Needs the big fight. Beat Khan, make yourself famous.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm

I can't see anything other than a Khan fight, it's nailed on.

Hearn loves the big domestic match-ups that get the British public excited. His dad Baz made a career out of it with Eubank and co.

A close Brook v Khan fight could result in a rematch in Wembley. Don't scoff stranger things have happened.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:44 pm

Yeah, I don't think that's far fetched. Froch Groves 2 sold out Wembley based on the controversy of the first. Groves was unheard of (outside boxing circles) beforehand and I'd argue that Khan is more of a household name than Froch was this time last year.

Domestic showdown, bit of needle. If a first fight produces a story, no reason a second can't sell big.

We're running before we can walk though, let's just see if and when Brook Khan happens in the first place.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:17 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The sky commentary was really biased last night from what i've heard but not in favour of Brook.

I really can't be bothered discussing Brook with you, you're so blinded by an irrational hatred that it's a futile exercise.

I agree Ghosty, Moby seems to hate boxing... Don't know why he watches it to be honest....

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:26 pm

Brook proves him completely wrong and instead of admitting he was wrong bangs on about an apparent robbery when there was none whilst also berating him for decisions he's yet to make.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:05 pm

So many options for Brook, and time to get some good fights out of the way

Think an easy defence against someone who can make him look good and go onto beat like Bundu

Khan seems the most likely, Brook obviously wants it and would fancy himself to clean khan out

Thurman is too dangerous imo for Brook and that can wait a while. Would fancy him against the linkes of berto, soto karass, Alexander and Guerrero etc. The likes of Pacquiao, Bradley, JMM and Maidana would all probably start as favourites but I can see him beating any of them, especially the older two as they'll struggle with Brook's jab and size

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down