The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match at Wimbledon?

+9
naxroy
AFCWomble42
laverfan
banbrotam
summerblues
The Special Juan
lags72
HM Murdock
DJB14
13 posters

Go down

Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal at Wimbledon?

Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Vote_lcap46%Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 6 ]
Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Vote_lcap54%Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 13

Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Empty Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match at Wimbledon?

Post by DJB14 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 11:06 am

As we all know the last two matches that Federer and Nadal played at the All England Club were absolute classics with the 2008 final having a case to be the greatest match of all time, if there is such a thing. In 2009 and 2010 I was expecting, like many others, that would see another installment on Centre Court. However, we never did and it has never come to pass in the years since.

For a while I wanted to see one more installment of the rivalry at Wimbledon, at the very least for old times sake, because we do not know how long we will be fortunate enough to see the two of them play with injuries, age and family all catching up to both of them. They played every final at RG and Wimbledon for three years running at the height of their rivalry and we were due another one on the grass.

However, part of me now wishes not to see another rematch at Wimbledon because there is no way that it could possibly live up to the last installment which had the number one ranking, Federer breaking Borg's five in a row record and other such factors which added to the match. I feel now that if we had another match then it would somehow tarnish the other matches and I would rather see the 2008 final left preserved, so to speak, and go down as the last match the two ever played at Wimbledon as well.

What do others think? Also I'd rather people thought of reasons other than the likeliness of their favourite winning such as 'I want to see Federer play Nadal again because Nadal seems vulnerable on grass right now'. I'm not intending this to be another Roger vs Rafa thread.

DJB14

Back to top Go down

Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Empty Re: Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match at Wimbledon?

Post by HM Murdock Sat 21 Jun 2014, 11:22 am

I'd be perfectly happy to never see another Federer v Nadal slam match. That match up over BO5 is predictable in the extreme now. We are approaching 7 years since Federer last beat Nadal in a slam.

The nostalgia is misplaced. There's no way a Federer v Nadal match today could get anywhere near 07 and 08. The Federer of our memories, the Federer who built that reputation and achieved those unreal numbers left the scene some time ago.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match  at Wimbledon? Empty Re: Do We Want To See Another Federer vs Nadal Match at Wimbledon?

Post by lags72 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:04 pm

I'm pretty much with HMM on this. And, as the OP says, it would be better to preserve untarnished the memories of that truly wonderful 2008 Final.

Whilst it is perfectly possible that Nadal could reproduce his Wimbledon form of 07/08 (and, conversely, also possible that he doesn't make it as far week two .....!), the same cannot be said of Federer. The years have inevitably caught up with him, as they do eventually with all players - however good they were in their prime.

Players of Federer's age and beyond are not Wimbledon title contenders ; as evidenced by the simple fact that nobody of his current vintage has ever lifted the trophy in the entire 45 years of the Open era.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:11 pm

Do I want to see the most overrated and predictable "rivalry" in tennis history again? N.O.

(Although if they were to meet each other in the first round this year who would win?)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:32 pm

The Special Juan wrote: .................................................

(Although if they were to meet each other in the first round this year who would win?)

But if it's "predictable" you would know the answer to that ........ chin Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

Touché! I think the usual player would win it but it would be closer than recent meetings.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 21 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

No. As others have also said, the result is very predictable.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jun 2014, 2:30 pm

We need one last final chapter. It would be Feds last best chance to beat Rafa at a slam, a set of statistics that are pretty embarassing and massively damaging to his plight of best ever. Hes got the stats of Nadals paid up bunny in best of five only ever getting him twice on his best surface, and being predictably beaten everywhere else, one last hurrah on this surface would give a chance of a final classic between the two

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:34 pm

If Rafa's playing well enough to get to the semi's then unless the weather is blistering hot or raining (i.e. the roof is on) then Roger would have no chance

I'd love Roger to get to the final - it'd be fantastic to see Murray beating him  Wink 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:05 pm

banbrotam wrote:

I'd love Roger to get to the final - it'd be fantastic to see Murray beating him  Wink 

Be careful what you wish for banbro  Wink 

Many people thought it would be fantastic to see Andy beating Roger in the 2012 Final, but Andy came up short, and it all ended in British tears. He did quickly avenge the defeat - in some style - at the Olympics.

Of course age - and hence the odds - are even more against Federer now than they were a couple of years ago, so Andy should be clear favourite to win such a clash today.

But there will be a certain pressure that all defending Slam champions have to manage. Federer has managed such pressure countless times ; we have yet to see whether Andy can.

All in all, I'm not sure just how much satisfaction there is to be had from beating a 33 year old   chin 
Mind you, realistically there may not be many more chances for Andy to improve on his disappointing 1-5 record v Fed in Slam meetings before the old man retires.........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:51 pm

One of them will go out before getting to the SF, so it is unlikely, IMVHO.

If Dustin can take two sets of ATP #1, Federer can take three. The "Old Man" can win it, if it is not a battle of attrition but one of shot making.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AFCWomble42 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:43 pm

LF, if they were to play in R1 or R2, I would agree entirely that Roger could win 3 sets. On the basis that they can't meet before the SFs, though, it is a different calculation as Rafa must almost certainly be playing well to have got that far.

AFCWomble42

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

AFCWomble42 wrote:LF, if they were to play in R1 or R2, I would agree entirely that Roger could win 3 sets. On the basis that they can't meet before the SFs, though, it is a different calculation as Rafa must almost certainly be playing well to have got that far.

Quite true, he seems to literally find his feet as the grass turns to mud at the base line (Thanks to Falzy, this is now stuck in my head). I recall him tumbling into the net trying to retrieve a Rosol drop shot. Not sure if his congenital conditions play into it as well in the first week.

I think the "Old Man" can deal with Lorenzi and Benneteau, but Mahut (my guess) could be tough. I think JJ (my guess) would not be hard. If the seedings match and Stan is next, Federer will have a tough time.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by DJB14 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 11:25 pm

lags72 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Be careful what you wish for banbro  Wink 

Many people thought it would be fantastic to see Andy beating Roger in the 2012 Final, but Andy came up short, and it all ended in British tears. He did quickly avenge the defeat - in some style - at the Olympics.

Of course age - and hence the odds - are even more against Federer now than they were a couple of years ago, so Andy should be clear favourite to win such a clash today.

But there will be a certain pressure that all defending Slam champions have to manage. Federer has managed such pressure countless times ; we have yet to see whether Andy can.

All in all, I'm not sure just how much satisfaction there is to be had from beating a 33 year old   chin 
Mind you, realistically there may not be many more chances for Andy to improve on his disappointing 1-5 record v Fed in Slam meetings before the old man retires.........

The same could be said for Federer beating a 21 year old Murray in his first ever slam final in 2008, the age difference was always going to come into play. Federer scored some wins against his younger rivals before they hit their prime and those same rivals are now due to return the favour now that he is past his peak. Whilst the satisfaction won't be the same such as beating him back in 2008 I think that beating Federer at Centre Court will always give players some satisfaction, same as would be the case for beating Nadal on Chatrier no matter how far he falls from his peak.

DJB14

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sun 22 Jun 2014, 3:33 am

why not?
if there is a venue where that match up would still be interesting that is wimbledon

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 22 Jun 2014, 6:38 am

HM Murdoch wrote:I'd be perfectly happy to never see another Federer v Nadal slam match. That match up over BO5 is predictable in the extreme now. We are approaching 7 years since Federer last beat Nadal in a slam.

The nostalgia is misplaced. There's no way a Federer v Nadal match today could get anywhere near 07 and 08. The Federer of our memories, the Federer who built that reputation and achieved those unreal numbers left the scene some time ago.

Agreed, and this time around both of them is not sure to make the 2nd week anyways.  Very Happy 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon 23 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

Personally I would not want to see that as its predictable and boring. Nadal will consult his 'How to' guide. He will be at the baseline hammering the ball up and down until Federer gets bored/frustrated and makes an error. It's a bit like feeding time at the zoo to be perfectly honest. Their contrasting styles just leaves one at a disadvantage.

But yes, a first round encounter might be interested to watch but at the end of the day, Nadal is a bad match up for Federer, just as Djokovic is for Nadal and in turn Nadal for Murray.

Much as I would not want it, I think the first to blink will be Roger. Nadal knows he has slipped up twice, and he will make sure not to repeat that. By week two, it will be a semi clay court (unless the AELTC have decided to speed the courts up again). Nadal prefers court one as it is slower. If he plays a few early rounds there it will allow himself to play himself in the tournament.

Nadal vs Murray final with Nadal taking the title ghost

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:58 pm

I want to see another Naderer match at Wimbledon because I just heard Josh Eagle (Australia's Davis Cup coach) say that Federer will definitely beat Nadal at Wimbledon if they meet  laughing 
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Mon 23 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm

Tennis Channel replayed the 2008 classic yesterday.. the last half of that match really was breathtaking tennis. Absurd quality shotmaking from Federer and crazy defense turn to offense from Nadal.

I had forgotten how machine like Federer was with his emotions at that time. He looked the same hitting a magical shot or dumping it into the net. Nadal was less demonstrative as well. Fed was also a bit pudgy and Nadal leaner. It's been forgotten the nerves of steel Fed showed- yes, he lost in the end, but some of the shots he came up with on match points or a couple of points away were incredible. You could sense as happens it all athletics at some point that the younger pursuer was going to breakthrough and catch the great champion- but Federer hung in there with some spectacular stuff. Nadal was just as great in his own way.

IF we could get 75% of that in a new match- it would be worth it.

Personally, I think Federer in 1st week grass would win now, 2nd week grass (dirt) is going to be big advantage to Nadal.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down