The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

+12
Coxy001
MIG
Mr Bounce
Bull
GSC
dyrewolfe
seanmichaels
crward77
beninho
Fernando
CaledonianCraig
Gerry SA
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  Empty McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

Post by Gerry SA Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm

Early reports are suggesting McLaren have open tentative talks with Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel to become their lead driver in 2015.

I would rule Hamilton out of the picture straightaway. I wouldn't imagine Mercedes F1 would allow their prime marketing tool to leave.

That leaves Alonso and Vettel.

Reports from Maranello claim Ferrari opened new contract talks with Alonso as soon as McLaren interest became know. A new deal that would take Alonso to the end of the 2018 season.

Alonso's made no secret of his displeasure of the woeful cars the Scuderia have provided him for the last 5 years. It's 8 years since his last WDC and times is rapidly running out. But Ferrari is the holy grail for the Spaniard. 50% chance I'd say.

Sebastian Vettel is clearly struggling in 2014. Not helped by the terrible Renault power unit. Renault are rumoured to be exiting F1 in 2016. So a move to Honda could be the correct move for the 4 time reigning world champion. There seems to be a souring of relations at RBR and their star man. At 26, Vettel can afford a year with Honda and not being a championship contender. For the return in the long run would be Red Bull like(2009/14). I think there's a 60%+ chance if this happening.

What are your thoughts?

Also McLaren are considering ditching both current drivers.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  Empty Re: McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

I would agree with that summary Gerry. Rule out Lewis who can see where his bread is buttered (so to speak) at the moment. Alonso has had a previous bad experience at McLaren before so I can't see him wanting to return there. Vettel may be at the stage though when he feels he needs a change and Red Bull's Renault power is killing his competitiveness so he may leap at the chance. However, it would be a big gamble as nobody really knows how Honda's turbos will adapt to F1. I can't see Honda walking back into F1 and being spot on for pace straight away so it could take them a year to bed in. As I say it would be a gamble.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  Empty Re: McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

Post by Gerry SA Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:02 pm

IMO Craig, I think Vettel's stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea.

If he stays at RBR, with Renault's impending exit, he could be nowhere again in 2015. Plus with RBR building their own engines for 2016, that would likely be a breaking in season. So Vettel could end up 3 seasons in the doldrums. Plus Newey isn't the mastermind at RBR after this season.

Whereas a move to McLaren-Honda would be a risk, it could be a one season wasted risk. No doubt Honda wouldn't be dominating in 2015, but I'd expect them to take on board what Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault have done in 2014. And Honda have pedigree in winning titles.

So IMHO Vettel would probably be better off a McLaren in the long run.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

It's an inevitability that Vettel will leave RB. The fact it could come, after Newey leaves & he's been beaten by Ricciardo, will hugely tarnish his reputation though. I think it's become stale at RB this season for Vettel, it will look like he's spitting the dummy out but I think a change in scenery will do wonders for him. You need new motivations & challenges in a career, now would be the right time to take that step. It's a risk but all drivers take risks, look at Hamilton & his decision to join Mercedes.

As for McLaren's competitiveness in 2015, I think they will be up there. Honda aren't stupid when it comes to Turbo engines & they've had engineers spying all season on the Mercedes engine in the McLaren garage.

I'd say Vettel would be favourite for McLaren, but if Alonso moved to McLaren, that would pave the way for Vettel to join Ferrari. Hamilton would only become an option, if he lost the title to Rosberg & in the process, they had an almightly fall out or collision on track & it just made the driver pairing untenable for 2015.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

Vettel will go to Ferrari at some stage.

If Lewis misses out on a WDC it's pretty likely imo.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:59 pm

GSC wrote:Vettel will go to Ferrari at some stage.

If Lewis misses out on a WDC it's pretty likely imo.
Can't see Ferrari pairing Alonso with Vettel.

Therefore if Alonso signs the extension on the table, the earliest Vettel could join Ferrari would be 2019.

I'd see Ferrari going after Grosjean(former Alonso teammate) or Hulkenberg/Perez to partner the Spaniard.

I'm expecting Kimi to retire from F1 at the end of the season.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm

Im expecting to see Grosjean & Vandoorne at Mclaren next year personally. Boullier pretty much manages Romain & Magnussen apart from his podium not particularly good at all.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:41 pm

Lewis to Merc seemed a strange move at the time, and it has paid off very well. So sometimes what looks liek a backwards step isnt as it seems. Vettel will leave RBR at some point, so maybe Macca.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by crward77 Mon 14 Jul 2014, 8:06 pm

Alonso will be back at McLaren I suspect.

crward77

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:29 am

Looks like Ron Dennis wants to change both his drivers for 2015.

It would end the career of Jenson Button, and seems a little harsh on Kevin Magnussen to axe him after one season.

Dennis wants Alonso, but the Spaniard isn't interested.

Looks like McLaren will promote Stoffel Vandoorne. And if Alonso does snub McLaren, Romain Grosjean could take Button's seat.

Interestingly Dennis would be open to retaining Magnussen if Alonso was his team mate...

Magical chairs if you ask me...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:35 am

I imagine Button is gone regardless. He was Whitmarsh's guy.

One to keep an eye on is Hamilton if Rosberg wins the WDC. Beginning to warm to the idea that whoever loses the WDC will be leaving Mercedes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:46 am

I can't see Mercedes paying off Rosberg TBH. They've just given him a new 3 year contract, so they'd have to pay him at least £10-12m to get him out.

Interestingly Alonso has a clause in his contract that if Ferrari aren't third or better in the constructor's championship, he can leave for free.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:49 am

If Alonso to Mercedes were to happen it is a guarantee Hamilton will not be at Mercedes. Rosberg seems more laid-back/less threatened and less bothered about whether he is team No.1 or not but that attitude may change once Alonso arrives (if that happens).
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

I doubt Merc would go for Alonso. Only top tier driver I could see is Vettel because hes German.

Otherwise it'd likely be Kovalainen style teammate that will play #2 happily.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

I'm not sure about Mercedes.

Toto Wolff seems to want Alonso, as he's hinted many times in that past. Yet Niki Lauda seems to dislike Alonso.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

I don't know if Alonso would buy into McLaren given the last 2 seasons, and a new engine supplier given the struggles of Ferrari and Renault this season in that regard.

Red Bull would be an entirely different story, but it would be dependent on Vettel going to Mercedes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:04 am

Vettel has lost his race engineer for 2015. Seems like he could actually leave Red Bull.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:05 am

If Merc coming sniffing he'll be off. Its the car to be in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 28 Aug 2014, 11:47 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:If Alonso to Mercedes were to happen it is a guarantee Hamilton will not be at Mercedes. Rosberg seems more laid-back/less threatened and less bothered about whether he is team No.1 or not but that attitude may change once Alonso arrives (if that happens).

Really?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 28 Aug 2014, 1:17 pm

Seems like Honda are the driving force behind Alonso.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Aug 2014, 4:10 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:If Alonso to Mercedes were to happen it is a guarantee Hamilton will not be at Mercedes. Rosberg seems more laid-back/less threatened and less bothered about whether he is team No.1 or not but that attitude may change once Alonso arrives (if that happens).

Really?

Yes really. He drove alongside Schumacher for a couple of seasons as realistically the No.2 and was in that type of role for a time and Williams and you never heard a peep from him. That tells me he has a higher tolerance level to that role than say an Alonso, Hamilton or Bertelsmann type driver.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Aug 2014, 4:42 pm

GSC wrote:Seems like Honda are the driving force behind Alonso.

I think Alonso will watch the Mercedes situation, if something opens up, he'll take that seat. I don't see an upgrade moving from a re-building Ferrari to a re-building, no guarantee of success, McLaren. Ron Dennis is trying to run before he walks, in terms of showing that McLaren are back to being competitive. Grosjean & Vandoorne would appear to be a better transitional line-up for 2015. If they prove they are competitive with Honda, they have a host of options for 2016, as Vettel, Hamilton & Alonso's contracts would have expired.

Apart from McLaren, I don't see major changes. F1 usually has big market moves, followed by a year or two of stability. As for whoever loses the title leaving Mercedes, I don't buy that either. They are the best team, both contracted & if Hamilton left the team after losing the title, it would appear like he's bottled the fight against Rosberg & doesn't feel he could win the title up against Nico in 2015, with a more reliable season & less issue. That would ruin his reputation.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm

I agree with a lot of what you say John but I feel it has become apparent that Rosberg and Hamilton are just not compatible enough for Mercedes to stick with the same partnership for next year. Too much needle has crept in and I cannot see anyway how they can reach a reconcilliation as one is destined to be bitterly disappointed in losing out on the world title so won't be in the best frames of mind to reconcile.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 29 Aug 2014, 11:03 am

Seems as though Alonso will be paid £30m per season to race for McLaren. Split between McLaren/Honda/Santander.

I can't see Alonso risking it TBH, he's got very limited time left to bag that third world championship he longs for.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 29 Aug 2014, 11:07 am

Well Mclaren & Ferrari don't seem likely any time soon. If you were to put on who will get their Poopie together first you'd go Mclaren tbh.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

Merc then Red Bull would be his preference you imagine.

Doubt Merc would go for Alonso.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 29 Aug 2014, 11:15 am

Well Red Bull would work for Alonso, as he has a previous link with Renault. That would mean Renault improving their engines though.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Aug 2014, 1:22 pm

I don't see Red Bull making changes to their driver policy of promoting youth & then signing an ageing Alonso, regardless of how good he is. RB aren't in a position to replace Vettel just yet, however, you feel they know Vettel won't extend beyond 2015, when he will join Ferrari & that's probably why they have rushed through Kyvat & Verstappen

There is nothing between Ferrari/McLaren, so moving to McLaren is a sideways step for Alonso. I think it will be a quiet market, apart from Grosjean to McLaren. Maybe DiResta can get back into F1 with Lotus & he's backed by Mercedes I think & they have that new engine contract. I agree with John in regards to Mercedes, think both will remain, even though times will be tense. I don't see Alonso at Mercedes & Vettel dreams of Ferrari, no real alternatives to replacing Hamilton. I think next year, when Mercedes maybe aren't so dominant, the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry will be put to to the side or will be less frequent, as they will be fighting over rivals instead of each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Aug 2014, 1:31 pm

If Mercedes can't get Vettel they'll sign a second fiddle that will accept the #2 position. The relationship at this point is too toxic for a second season.

I hope Di Resta doesn't come back. Thoroughly average.

RB usually have a veteran and a young driver.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 29 Aug 2014, 3:32 pm

Well, whoever they sign, their design team is going to have to get its act together and show they can produce a car that can compete for race wins and potentially the championship.

Simply having a good engine supplier won't be enough - as evidenced by their trials and tribulations this season, despite having Mercedes on board.

If they can demonstrate that, I could see Alonso going back...I really hope they don't go for Kimi as he seems to have lost his mojo.

Think Vettel's ties to RB could still be too strong for him to leave just yet. I reckon he'll give them another season to give him a car he can work with. He's obviously not happy but I think Marko and Mateschitz will convince him to stay put a bit longer.

Agree that McLaren do need to sign a top driver (and give them a decent car) for next season, with a view to "doing a Williams".

Much as I like JB, I think he's more or less a spent force. Can be a winner in a good car, but he's never been able to grab a car by the scruff of the neck and really hustle it, the way Alonso can.

I think he could follow Webber into sportscars or maybe Le Mans. His days in F1 though must be numbered. I couldn't see any of the other teams signing him, as the trend seems to be for emerging young talent.

Situation at Mercedes is intriguing, as I could see whoever loses out on the title going to McLaren. Now Ron Dennis is back, it could be a good reunion for Lewis. Might also be a good option for Rosberg, if it goes the other way and he feels he can't stay any longer.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Aug 2014, 3:35 pm

I suspect Kimi may retire and Bianchi promoted to Ferrari tbh. If Alonso walks they'll make a play for Vettel and if they can't get him, possibly Hulkenburg for a season and Vettel the following.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm

Alonso rules himself out of joining McLaren & will stay at Ferrari for 2015. Obviously, it's just a statement, but don't see the grass being greener at McLaren.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 02 Sep 2014, 9:43 pm

I think it is more him distancing himself from a move to McLaren more than anything else. If he were given the choice of Ferrari and McLaren then the Ferrari package is stronger. Just because Honda are returning to F1 doesn't mean it will be a magic fix for McLaren. I feel Alonso is being canny and watching the goings on at Mercedes. If they came calling he'd be off like a shot.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 22 Sep 2014, 7:03 pm

Strong rumours suggesting that McLaren have secured the signing of Fernando Alonso. 

Alonso's confirmation will be announced at Suzuka(Honda's home track). 

Looks like Button will be pensioned off. 

It also opens the door for Sebastian Vettel to join the Prancing Horse.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 22 Sep 2014, 7:52 pm

Strongly doubt that is true.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:09 pm

It would be the worst kept secret really. I can see it happening to be honest, great statement from Honda to reveal him at Suzuka. Vettel wants Ferrari, has won everything at RB & needs a new challenge. He's also seen the RB personnel he won everything with, slowly being broken down in terms of Newey, Produmou & Rocky. What it does for Vettel's reputation, leaving after potentially being beaten by Ricciardo is another debate. For Alonso, it's one of those risky decisions, like Hamilton made leaving McLaren. To me, it's looks like a side-ways step.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:14 pm

If it's true which it wouldn't surprise me. Would Mclaren be a risk not sure honestly Honda are the kind of people who will invest millions til it's perfected. With the RB Aero guy coming on board too it may be 2016 before we see results but like with Lewis a season's pain may end up with another World Title for Fernando.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:26 pm

Ferrari are going nowhere at present.

McLaren have hit rock bottom but it sometimes it takes that to turn things around. Be surprised if Ron Dennis and Honda didnt turn things around
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm

Whilst the Honda engine is an unknown, Honda have the benefit of seeing what their rivals have created. There's nothing stopping them from copying Mercedes' ideas.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:15 pm

If I was Alonso, I would do this. He gets the best of both worlds this way. He is contracted for another year, so stay at Ferrari for 2015 & drive James Allison's first designed Ferrari. If it's a good car & with Ferrari's engine being improved, who knows what can be achieved. If it's a dog of a car, you just ship off to McLaren for 2016, the Honda engine will be in it's second year & Prodomou has his first real input into the design of the McLaren going into 2016.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm

Whatever happens with the Alonso-Vettel situation, I think it is pretty clear that Button has lost all his love for the sport since his Father passed away. It seems to me that he's been going through the motions this year - his heart really isn't in it anymore as John was ever-present and extremely popular. I think JB will now be concentrating on getting married and having kids with Jessie. Don't be surprised to see Jenson join a commentary team on a channel near you in the next couple of years.

I think Grosjean as JB's replacement is highly likely.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm

Kobayashi for Button!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:47 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Whatever happens with the Alonso-Vettel situation, I think it is pretty clear that Button has lost all his love for the sport since his Father passed away. It seems to me that he's been going through the motions this year - his heart really isn't in it anymore as John was ever-present and extremely popular. I think JB will now be concentrating on getting married and having kids with Jessie. Don't be surprised to see Jenson join a commentary team on a channel near you in the next couple of years.

I think Grosjean as JB's replacement is highly likely.
Let's be honest, Button was always a very average driver. He got his sizable piece of luck in 2009(reg changes) and he fortunately bagged that years world championship. And if Vettel didn't crash as much in 2009, Button would've been out of F1 along time ago.

Button lacks the talent and charisma to be a big draw in F1.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:32 am

Gerry, why all the Button hate? Okay, he didn't have the natural speed or superstar status but what he lacked in that department, he made up in others. He's been an intelligent, calculated & tactically supreme driver in F1 & if you look at the stats, he was probably the best driver in changeable conditions of the last few years. Yeah, he was gifted 2009 but then Vettel was gifted one or two of his WDC's. You make you own luck in this sport, through making decisions to stay or join other teams & reaping the rewards the following season, such as Hamilton has done & possibly Alonso with his potential move. It will be a shame to lose a British driver from the grid, seeing as Chilton is just an embarrassment & will be leaving too you would imagine.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:34 am

Buttons a good driver, but hes never really approached the top level. Makes sense for McLaren to boot him if they can get an Alonso in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:49 am

John wrote:If I was Alonso, I would do this. He gets the best of both worlds this way. He is contracted for another year, so stay at Ferrari for 2015 & drive James Allison's first designed Ferrari. If it's a good car & with Ferrari's engine being improved, who knows what can be achieved. If it's a dog of a car, you just ship off to McLaren for 2016, the Honda engine will be in it's second year & Prodomou has his first real input into the design of the McLaren going into 2016.

Makes sense this actually, gets best of both world's or if Ferrari turn it around he can stay. Also, I heard Bob Bell was leaving Mercedes & was joining Ferrari. Bob Bell, as you probably know, was Renault F1's Technical Director during the hugely successful 2005 and 2006 seasons with Alonso. Probably a ploy to keep him at Ferrari.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm

GSC wrote:Buttons a good driver, but hes never really approached the top level. Makes sense for McLaren to boot him if they can get an Alonso in.

Would you say K-Mag has done enough for another season? Personally id boot him for Grosjean or Vandoorne

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

If you can get Grosjean absolutely.

I'd give him another season before dumping him for another unproven rookie.

Like to see someone take a punt on Vergne. Went toe to toe with F1s newest superstar for a few seasons
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm

John wrote:If I was Alonso, I would do this. He gets the best of both worlds this way. He is contracted for another year, so stay at Ferrari for 2015 & drive James Allison's first designed Ferrari. If it's a good car & with Ferrari's engine being improved, who knows what can be achieved. If it's a dog of a car, you just ship off to McLaren for 2016, the Honda engine will be in it's second year & Prodomou has his first real input into the design of the McLaren going into 2016.

This would be either Fernando breaking his contract, or Honda buying it out and him being a McLaren driver next season
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:40 pm

It appears Gerry was wrong Mclaren are looking at Button/Alonso as a partnership

"Fernando Alonso's future with Ferrari is almost certainly in serious doubt.

Still, the latest rumours suggest McLaren could now be heading towards a highly-experienced lineup of Alonso alongside Jenson Button to spearhead the new Honda era.

That would leave rookie Kevin Magnussen in the cold.

All of a sudden, the young Dane is admitting his future might not be secure.

"It would make no sense to go from McLaren to a smaller team," Magnussen is quoted by Russia's f1news.ru.

"If I do not manage to be successful with McLaren and meet their expectations, then I'm not good enough to be world champion anyway."

What's going on at Scuderia Ferrari?

At the very same time, strong signs that not all is well between Alonso and Ferrari's new boss Marco Mattiacci are becoming ever more concrete.

Authoritative reports are quoting Mattiacci as having given unusual answers to very direct questions about Alonso's position at Ferrari after the Singapore Grand Prix.

"Fernando is still with us in 2015? At the moment, yes," he said.

"He has a contract until 2016, but there is an ongoing discussion also about how we will define the relationship."

Italy's respected and specialist La Gazzetta dello Sport on Monday claimed Alonso has now "expressed his intention to leave Ferrari" after conditions placed on his continuing position were not accepted or met."

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next