The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

+12
Coxy001
MIG
Mr Bounce
Bull
GSC
dyrewolfe
seanmichaels
crward77
beninho
Fernando
CaledonianCraig
Gerry SA
16 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  - Page 4 Empty McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

Post by Gerry SA Tue 24 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Early reports are suggesting McLaren have open tentative talks with Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel to become their lead driver in 2015.

I would rule Hamilton out of the picture straightaway. I wouldn't imagine Mercedes F1 would allow their prime marketing tool to leave.

That leaves Alonso and Vettel.

Reports from Maranello claim Ferrari opened new contract talks with Alonso as soon as McLaren interest became know. A new deal that would take Alonso to the end of the 2018 season.

Alonso's made no secret of his displeasure of the woeful cars the Scuderia have provided him for the last 5 years. It's 8 years since his last WDC and times is rapidly running out. But Ferrari is the holy grail for the Spaniard. 50% chance I'd say.

Sebastian Vettel is clearly struggling in 2014. Not helped by the terrible Renault power unit. Renault are rumoured to be exiting F1 in 2016. So a move to Honda could be the correct move for the 4 time reigning world champion. There seems to be a souring of relations at RBR and their star man. At 26, Vettel can afford a year with Honda and not being a championship contender. For the return in the long run would be Red Bull like(2009/14). I think there's a 60%+ chance if this happening.

What are your thoughts?

Also McLaren are considering ditching both current drivers.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  - Page 4 Empty Re: McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:59 pm

Thats why I have him on my ignore list. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  - Page 4 Empty Re: McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.

Post by GSC Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:03 pm

The delay is deciding which one they're keeping, they'll know whether 3 cars is a goer by now.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

Well McLaren have said they aren't going to make a decision before December 1st, so we have at least another week to wait before any kind of official statement.

Seriously, if it ends up with some teams running 3 cars next season, I will not be watching...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm

Strong rumours are suggesting Fernando Alonso will race two weekends for Porsche in the WEC in 2015. Spa and 24hrs of Le Mans. Dunno how McLaren have agreed to this...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:22 pm

Yes, he was at Bahrain for the WEC finale to agree all this. Just shows how desperate McLaren have come, that they are laying down to the demands of Alonso, in order to get him. To me, doesn't that show he's not fully committed to he cause & if things go wrong with Honda, he's just using McLaren as the stepping stone to a long term future in WEC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm

John wrote:Yes, he was at Bahrain for the WEC finale to agree all this. Just shows how desperate McLaren have come, that they are laying down to the demands of Alonso, in order to get him. To me, doesn't that show he's not fully committed to he cause & if things go wrong with Honda, he's just using McLaren as the stepping stone to a long term future in WEC.
Whilst it's not a strong indication, how's about Alonso at Toro Rosso? As of today Alonso unfollowed Ferrari on twitter and started following Daniil Kvyat. Yeah it's pretty pie in the sky,but what's the odds...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:02 pm

He's joining McLaren. Fernando is not going to Toro Rosso, that would be like Messi joining Northampton Town. Gerry, you crack me up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:13 pm

John wrote:He's joining McLaren. Fernando is not going to Toro Rosso, that would be like Messi joining Northampton Town. Gerry, you crack me up!
Red Bull sponsor Porsche's works team in WEC, how can Alonso race for McLaren-Honda(sponsored by Santander and Movistar), then rock up and Le Mans and drive a car which is associated with one of McLaren's rivals? It makes zero busniess sense.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:23 pm

You wonder if Fernando could be RB's 3rd driver if that happens....

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

Fernando wrote:You wonder if Fernando could be RB's 3rd driver if that happens....
Well he's good mates with Ricciardo and Kvyat

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:18 pm

I heard King Juan Carlos I, a close friend of Alonso during his career, told reporters this weekend, that Alonso had told him he was joining McLaren for 2015.

"I'm here to support Fernando in his last race," King Juan Carlos said. "He told me he is going to join McLaren and that he's very happy."

Do you believe King Juan OR not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 11:16 am

I read that Ron Dennis was spotted in Denmark last week & that Magnussen is now in pole position to partner Alonso in 2015. Ron Dennis is believed to have been in talks with Anders Holch Povlsen, the owner of the fashion retail business Bestseller, who is reckoned to be worth around $4.8 billion from apparel and accessories sold under 11 different brand names. Holch Povlsen has been a supporter of Kevin Magnussen for several years with his Jack & Jones brand and is already a McLaren sponsor with the asos.com brand.

Ron Dennis is apparently keen to open new markets & opportunities for investment, with other rumours that Denmark wants to hold a F1 Grand Prix from 2017.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 29 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

Jesus christ the football transfer window x has started following y on twitter rumours are here.

I'll be back next year
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

Are you referring to Jean Eric Vergne following Porsche? As for Ron being spotted in Denmark, I just thought it was interesting development & it looks likely that Magnussen will end up with the drive.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 29 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Whilst it's not a strong indication, how's about Alonso at Toro Rosso? As of today Alonso unfollowed Ferrari on twitter and started following Daniil Kvyat. Yeah it's pretty pie in the sky,but what's the odds...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

Laugh

I miss Gerry picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Dec 2014, 10:27 am

Anyone see Mark Webber's Porsche crash? Apparently he's in satifactory condition & in hospital. Not the best advertisement for getting Button to join him in endurance racing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Dec 2014, 10:34 am

Video just shows the aftermath really, looked bad though. Pretty sure he had an incident on that corner in F1. Very lucky, don't think he's injured, just precautionary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:11 am

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:29 pm

Any McLaren fans wanting to find out the 2015 line-up, will have to wait until Thursday. The only news coming out of McLaren is that Kevin Magnussen's trainer Antti Vierula, has announced that he has left the team. Make what you want of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 01 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm

In good news the new Honda engine doesn't sound like Poopie

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 03 Dec 2014, 2:46 pm

Fernando wrote:In good news the new Honda engine doesn't sound like Poopie

Trust me - stick a tenner on Alonso to get his 3rd title next season! Wink

On a serious note, where did you hear that? Only article I've seen said they were having electrical issues during testing at Abu Dhabi.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Dec 2014, 6:04 pm

Board meeting over & the pathetic McLaren team still can't make their mind up on the line up. Drivers being treated so badly in this situation. Ruthless Ron is obviously losing his touch

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 05 Dec 2014, 12:47 pm

It is verging on ridiculous now.

Button has at least confirmed if McLaren don't want him he will leave F1.

Still, I suppose it is a tough decision to make.

Do they want 2 experienced drivers who will likely score points, if the car is good enough, or do they look to develop Magnussen and let Alonso lead the team?

That would be a tough ask for Nando, stepping into an unfamiliar car and having to shoulder the burden straight away. At least with Button in the team they have someone who can pick up the slack, if need be.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Dec 2014, 12:56 pm

This shambles wouldn't be happening if the brilliant Martin Whitmarsh was there. JB would be sitting on a new five year deal right now. #getwhitmarshbackinf1

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

I don't really see the issue truth be told. They're taking their time, its still December, who cares
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:03 pm

Easy there John...its not THAT bad...yet... Shocked

Actually I think Whitmarsh could probably do a job for one of the smaller teams, if he wants to get back into the sport, but I don't see him rejoining McLaren in any capacity.

GSC wrote:
I don't really see the issue truth be told. They're taking their time, its still December, who cares.

Well, it might not be causing the team any issues, but somebody is still going to have to find themselves a future elsewhere and the longer they delay a decision, the less time the outgoing driver has to find new employment.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

This delay is obviously costing Jenson precious dole money.

Given he's apparently walking away anyway (because we all know no other top team would touch him) it shouldn't affect him unduly. Magnusson will be taken care of regardless
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 05 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm

It's a shame Mclaren aren't richer they could buy out Marussia & have a Magnussen/Vandoorne B Team (Toro Rosso style)

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 05 Dec 2014, 3:57 pm

McLaren say driver decision has not been made and there will be no announcements "until next week at the earliest"

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 08 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

GSC wrote:This delay is obviously costing Jenson precious dole money.

Given he's apparently walking away anyway (because we all know no other top team would touch him) it shouldn't affect him unduly. Magnusson will be taken care of regardless

Well, I was thinking more about availability of places in whatever teams they might think about joining...but yes, you're right, poor JB will need to sign on for a while until he can get himself back on his feet! Laugh
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 08 Dec 2014, 1:22 pm

There's nowhere left for Jenson really. It's McLaren or out of F1 for him I think. His fans may just commit mass suicide but sure the average IQ of the world will go up so silver linings and all that.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

Announcement tomorrow morning on the 2015 line-up

I see Grosjean has called for Jenson to step aside & allow fresh blood to enter the sport, given he's had 15 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 10 Dec 2014, 1:21 pm

Beeb on suicide watch
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:40 pm

As much as I want to see the overrated Jenson turfed in the reject bin I would laugh for an eternity if it was him and KM announced as the line-up for next year.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 11 Dec 2014, 2:24 am

It seems that it's Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso at McLaren next year.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Dec 2014, 9:12 am

Cue the beeb wetting themselves.

Then him being destroyed by Alonso
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 11 Dec 2014, 9:30 am

Well done Jenson, F1 still needs guys like you.

It was a no brainer if Mclaren want to score lots of points next season, Jenson might not win but he will bring the car home and help with the development side more than Magnusson plus he already has a good relationship with Honda.

Glad to see Somerset still has representation on the F1 circuit. OK
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:33 am

Magnusson as test/reserve driver
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:36 am

I do think McLaren have folded or yielded into making this decision, due to the outcry from British fans at the prospect of losing Jenson. It was obvious ages ago, that he was on another level to Magnussen, so in a driving sense, it was a no brainer. Still have no idea why McLaren went down this embarrassing road of continually delaying the announcement, but at least the right decision has been made.

As for 2015, I don't think he will be destroyed by Alonso, Jenson is too consistent on his level & Jenson has always been a good reliable points hoover, so the gaps we saw between Alonso & Massa/Kimi, I doubt, will be witnessed. This duel with Alonso adds some spice for next year, if Mercedes once again dominate.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:44 am

Well Fernando and Ron will either end in glory or tears, as a McLaren fan not hard to guess which I'm rooting for
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

I think the original plan was Magnussen & Alonso, however, McLaren inability to be ruthless & make the decision was their downfall & led to the British outpouring of emotion & support towards Jenson & how he was being treated. They shouldn't of underestimated the British motosport community & how they've reacted. Without doubt it put pressure on McLaren & their reputation throughout this saga has definitely gone downhill, made possibly 100 times worse, if they'd removed Jenson.

In the end, the right decision was made. As John said, Jenson has always been consistent & he never goes missing, unlike Massa or Kimi, so Alonso won't blow him away. I still think Alonso will beat Jenson, but only by a relatively small margin.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

Doesn't take a genius to work out what Ron thinks of the British motorsport communities opinions.

And the vast majority (read not the been) wouldn't have cared if Jenson went.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:57 am

McLaren looking to sign 'superstar' driver for 2015.  - Page 4 97612

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 11 Dec 2014, 11:10 am

Can't they afford ties?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Dec 2014, 11:26 am

Jenson was on the verge of applying for the dole, of course not
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 11 Dec 2014, 2:00 pm

GSC wrote:Jenson was on the verge of applying for the dole, of course not

How are you coping mate? I have the number of a good counsellor if you need it. Wink

Looks like the forum needs to be on suicide watch. If a couple of posters suddenly stop posting, I think we'll know why... Laugh

I very much doubt Nando will "destroy" Jenson. Out-perform him? Maybe. Even so, I think JB will pull his weight and contribute a decent points tally.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Dec 2014, 2:12 pm

Alonso has looked like God with the woeful Massa & the AWOL Kimi, however, Jenson is too consistent in hoovering up points, to allow the points difference to grow out to such an extent. Lewis found this out.

People claimed Jenson was finished, had no motivation anymore after his dad died, yet he still trounced Magnussen. The professional that Jenson is will rise to the challenge of Alonso & it should spark new life & energy into him.

He's got a Championship to his name, however, adding to your CV, that you are the only driver to of beaten both Hamilton & Alonso would be quite something & I full expect him to give it a good go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 11 Dec 2014, 2:16 pm

Both Alonso & JB's contracts are for 2 years minimum according to Ron Dennis.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Dec 2014, 9:26 am

Agree John, this should motivate him to maybe another level & having a title to his name, along with beating arguably the two best drivers of this generation, would be some scalp.

I didn't see how long the contract were but thanks Fernando. I guess it's in JB's hands, keep performing & the seat is yours. Magnussen & Vandoorne don't blow me away. As for Alonso, if McLaren don't look contenders by the second year, he will bail on that optional third year extension & join WEC. Then McLaren could get Bottas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next