The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 4

+17
Jahu
kneel_before_nadal
DJB14
ChequeredJersey
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
CaledonianCraig
Gerry SA
DirectView2
naxroy
JuliusHMarx
kemet
Mad for Chelsea
TopoftheChops
The Special Juan
lags72
laverfan
21 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - Page 2 Empty Wimbledon Day 4

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

First topic message reminder :

Surely today's play deserves a thread of it's own!

Nadal v Rosol. Many praying for a repeat of 2012. You are going to need a roof for that! Nadal looking for some revenge no doubt. Shoulder barge to strike again like a Suarez bite?

Federer v Muller. Potential tricky opponent for Roger. Again could Federer make another 2nd round exit?

Our Hev is in action against Kerber. Fingers crossed on that one.

Wawrinka, Gasquet, Raonic, Williams, Bouchard and Sharapova all in action.

Tsonga and Querrey to commence their 5 set epic!

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 4

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:02 pm

I think Rosol erred though. He complained to the umpire amidst being 0-15 down and at a key part of the match. He should have kept his head down and concentrated on holding serve and mentioned it during sit-down between games.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm

You wouldn't be quoting jonny mac there? Average time between points for rafa is 25

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

The umpire did speak to Rafa at one stage about time-keeping, but Rafa was very dismissive and just walked away whilst the umpire was still in mid-sentence.

Equivalent to a footballer turning his back on a referee whilst being cautioned. Strong, confident referees are inclined not to tolerate it ; but weak ones do.

Meanwhile ..... on court, Rafa looks to have weathered the storm and neutralised Rosol's power. The World No. 1 should now see this through in four.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:11 pm

You don't get punished unless you go about biting people. (Biting trophies doesn't count).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

if he loses he is injured
if he wins he breaks time rule

and that is how the forum builds its way through time

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

lags72 wrote:The umpire did speak to Rafa at one stage about time-keeping, but Rafa was very dismissive and just walked away whilst the umpire was still in mid-sentence.

Equivalent to a footballer turning his back on a referee whilst being cautioned. Strong, confident referees are inclined not to tolerate it ; but weak ones do.
Doesn't matter. Rafa will say something nice in his post match interview in his cute little lilting accent and everyone will sing about what a good sport he is.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm

naxroy wrote:if he loses he is injured
if he wins he breaks time rule

and that is how the forum builds its way through time

Seems about right.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

The Special Juan wrote:You don't get punished unless you go about biting people.  (Biting trophies doesn't count).

.......for which the punishment will apparently be a four month ban from ALL football.

I reckon he's got off very lightly.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:22 pm

lags72 wrote:The umpire did speak to Rafa at one stage about time-keeping, but Rafa was very dismissive and just walked away whilst the umpire was still in mid-sentence.

Meanwhile ..... on court, Rafa looks to have weathered the storm and neutralised Rosol's power. The World No. 1 should now see this through in four.

This is one of the reasons he has so many haters, yes he is a great champ but doesn't win with the spirit of the game on, for him and Tony its like win at any cost.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Nadal's the draw here. He sells the tickets and brings in more revenue than Rosol.

So what if he's taking longer between points.

Unless Nadal starts taking 30/35 secs per point, then there's nothing for the umpire to say.

Who gives a crap about who sells what!

Rules are rules. Abide by them or get punished. If you can't play within 20 seconds, you shouldn't be on the court.

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

lags72 wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:You don't get punished unless you go about biting people.  (Biting trophies doesn't count).

.......for which the punishment will apparently be a four month ban from ALL football.

Its a shame somebody biting an opponent on more than one occasion hasn't got a life ban yet.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:25 pm

lags72 wrote:

I reckon Rosol should bite Rafa at the change of ends! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:26 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:Nadal's the draw here. He sells the tickets and brings in more revenue than Rosol.

Unless Nadal starts taking 30/35 secs per point, then there's nothing for the umpire to say.

Rules are rules. Abide by them or get punished. If you can't play within 20 seconds, you shouldn't be on the court.

Exactly F that attitude, play within the rules or stay out.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:28 pm

Rosol is down in confidence , a typical Nadal bullied opponent playing the 4th set to lose quick.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:28 pm

back to match, one has to give nadal the recognition that he knows how to suffer when things are not working

with his last two years here, being a set and a break down to rosol... but he found a way

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:28 pm

DirectView2 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

You think the ATP cares if Nadal takes 25secs? No otherwise they'd put a timer on the court.

Tennis is a business, therefore the draws(Federer, Nadal, Serena etc) get away with things.

If you don't like it, follow a different sport.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:30 pm

Indeed. I would have given him until the end of January and docked Uruguay points. A fine seems pointless.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:30 pm

The respective first serve point percentages in set three were more or less an exact reversal of those in set one.

I reckon if Rosol had taken the second set, then even Nadal's nerves could have cracked.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm

Kyrgios serving for the match against Gasquet.

Nadal's half looking very rosey!!

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:38 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

You think the ATP cares if Nadal takes 25secs? No otherwise they'd put a timer on the court.

Tennis is a business, therefore the draws(Federer, Nadal, Serena etc) get away with things.

Well I have every right to critic a sportsman if he doesn't play with the spirit of the game, I am not an ATP to be afraid of portraying the truth. Rafa doesn't gets the recognition of a 14 time slam champion coz of many issues of never following the rules of the game, be it 20 second rule , medical time out to on field coaching Rafa gives a Poopie to any of these rules.

I really doubt how many trophies Rafa would have won had he played within the spirt of the game.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:38 pm

Kyrgios has saved 9 match points against Gasquet and is now serving for it!! (*9-8 in the 5th)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

Kyrgios is through!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

Nadals bh is much better niw

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Kyrgios is through!

Wow, looks a bit of play back of how Gasquet beat Roddick sometime back in the same arena.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

From 2 sets down, too. Who says young players can't go the distance? (Kyrgios is solid though. Much like a young Nadal.)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

So Nadal won't face a seeded player until the QF's.

That I have no doubt will pee off the haters Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm

Here we go again the bloke takes his time but if that's all you got then its a flimsy argument. Take aus 2009 putting his arms around the beaten fed. The happiness for fed winning the French the fact he has maybe one match with bad temper. You think he's fake? Fine your opinion but don't go spouting it as fact out if anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:50 pm

DirectView2 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

Well I have every right to critic a sportsman if he doesn't play with the spirit of the game, I am not an ATP to be afraid of portraying the truth. Rafa doesn't gets the recognition of a 14 time slam champion coz of many issues of never following the rules of the game, be it 20 second rule , medical time out to on field coaching Rafa gives a Poopie to any of these rules.

I really doubt how many trophies Rafa would have won had he played within the spirt of the game.

I agree why dont you follow cricket ... such a typically gentlemanly sport... or even English Football that should keep you amused !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

It's hard to see Nadal losing in this tournament. Things are going his way.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:53 pm

Fact is its such a one eyed view. Utterly ignoring his play his character and determination and have the gall to say its a just cheating

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:53 pm

Well I for one will say Nadal is not the only one who violates the time between points. Murray has sometimes overtepped the mark as has Djokovic. IIRC IW 2013 between Nadal and Del Potro at when it got to the 3rd set Nadal's average time between points was 29 seconds and Del Potro's? A whopping 32 seconds!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

DirectView2 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

At a wild guess, 14 majors, 27 masters, 1 Gold Medal, 4 Davis Cups and a few more?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I agree why dont you follow cricket ... such a typically gentlemanly sport... or even English Football that should keep you amused !!!

Why would I leave the sport for one person abusing it?  mad 

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

Spare a thought for Tsonga for a moment. He has played everyday so far in the singles. Poor bloke.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

If they're both doing it, it's not so bad, but if one player's holding up another then it's poor, especially when the player being held up is serving.  It can be called cheating because it is the breaking of a rule, however I wouldn't go that far.  Gamesmanship yes, "cheating", no.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

Rosol not giving up Smile
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

Gerry SA wrote:....................................................................

So as long as plenty of tickets are sold then the rules don't actually matter .....??

Don't forget that many tennis fans actually play the game themselves. Even if you're just playing at the lowest club level (where not even a dog is watching, let alone one man) you want your opponent to respect the rules. That being the case, why should rule-breaking then suddenly become acceptable at the highest levels of the professional game  Headscratch

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

lags72 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:....................................................................

So as long as plenty of tickets are sold then the rules don't actually matter .....??

Don't forget that many tennis fans actually play the game themselves. Even if you're just playing at the lowest club level (where not even a dog is watching, let alone one man) you want your opponent to respect the rules. That being the case, why should rule-breaking then suddenly become acceptable at the highest levels of the professional game  Headscratch

I agree that when Rafa breaks the rules he should be warned and punished appropriately and often he is not. However, the 20s for slams rule is stupid and should also be scrapped
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

Done deal. Very dodgy for a bit but the ghost is laid to rest thanks to nadal going more aggressive and never giving up. Unless of course you're in the camp that he just cheated and no one likes him

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:59 pm

Rafa's big match experience made all the difference in the end.

Well played from both players

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:01 pm

I would like to see a rule installed where if the receiving player isn't in place when the server is, the server can simply go ahead and serve, and get an ace. Would be fun Very Happy

Nadal played very well in those last two sets though, much more aggressive, and in the end had too much for Rosol. The debate over the time violations will unfortunately rumble on, for as long as the rule is there and Nadal keeps abusing it. For what it's worth Del Potro and Berdych are just as bad, but get less publicity because, well, they're not winning so much. The price of fame...

Nadal BTW took 31 seconds between the score being announced and his serve when he was BP down in that last game Run

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:01 pm

I have work to do, excuse me, but before I go, the Stanimal is 2 sets up in his match and Querrey and Tsonga have resumed play.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:02 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:the 20s for slams rule is stupid and should also be scrapped

I agree with this. At one point they showed Rosol averageing 20 secs between points, which means roughly he'll have been on or over the limit half the time. Did anyone think Rosol was playing slowly? I didn't...

25 seconds uniform accross all tournaments would make more sense.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

rosol has proved to be a true huge rival for nadal

very difficult for the spaniard.

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

Coz of all these bullies, a simple guy like me questioned on why Rafa above the rules of ATP and I get hammered to watch a different sport, if ATP shows spine to force Nadal and his team to follow the rules the particular member of the ATP will be bullied out of his position, this is the exact fate of referees.

Why would Rafa change, he knows different ways to spoil the momentum of his opponent and he knows he gets rich dividend in doing it and the worst he knows nobody in ATP has the guts to question him.

Well to be frank if Saurez can esacpe with just a 4 month ban for biting his opponent more than 2 times, then yes we can allow Rafa to break all rules and win.

very good win Rafa, keep it up.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

Also, are English commentators as biased as Spanish ones? Whenever Nadal won a point it was all "vamos!" this and "bravo!" that. Rosol barely got any praise at all for his winners.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:06 pm

I won't call Rafa a chear, thats not me to decide, but I would certainly say he is a champ who never followed the spirit of the game.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:06 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Also, are English commentators as biased as Spanish ones? Whenever Nadal won a point it was all "vamos!" this and "bravo!" that. Rosol barely got any praise at all for his winners.

Now days several are Rafa fanboys, yes
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

Direct View
You have a very blinkered view of this sport if you believe that Rafa is the only one who, as you quaintly put it abuses it. There are several players on Tour who abuse more than the sport Foginini has just been fined 25,000 pounds for threatening an umpire, Djokovic violates the time rules, as does Del Potro... wake up and smell the coffee and stop allowing your hatred of one player to spoil the game you say you want to watch or else stop watching Nadal and spoiling it for the rest of us

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:08 pm

Looking forward to Federer v Muller.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next