The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 8

+21
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
mthierry
tennismaster
banbrotam
invisiblecoolers
MrInvisible
laverfan
HM Murdock
naxroy
Gerry SA
Jahu
kingraf
ChequeredJersey
Mad for Chelsea
Josiah Maiestas
FedsFan
sirfredperry
The Special Juan
88Chris05
CaledonianCraig
25 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Wimbledon Day 8 - Page 9 Empty Wimbledon Day 8

Post by Guest Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

So we are nearing the business end of Wimbledon.

Federer is up against Robredo looking to avenge his US Open defeat last year.

Nadal will face the new kid on the block Kyrgios.

Wawrinka is up against Lopez and Raonic will face Nishikori.

On the ladies side Sharapova against Kerber.

Kvitova, Lisicki and Halep all in action.

Interestingly enough Wimbledon is the only event not to have Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray all clash in the Semi's. So could we see that duck get broken?

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 8 - Page 9 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 8

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 am

I may come across as a skeptic but it is merely because I still haven't seen anything of him (working today). I know from recent years that one win by a promising youngster does not automatically turn into a multiple slam winner. Posters on here seem impressed so lets wait and see.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:26 am

I was far more impressed with his bottle and mental strength rather than his shots (good as they were).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:29 am

Same here Juan. Kid didn't miss one serve in the third set tie, and only one after breaking in the fourth. The kid is cold blooded, and has the hair and jewelry to match.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:34 am

yeah, I was frustrated (as a nadal fan) how he never missed an important serve in the third set
(didnt watch 4th set)

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:03 am

I didn't even notice that. Tremendous from Kyrgios then!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:21 am

I just read that Krygios had 68 un-returned serves (including aces).

That's 17 games' worth of points where he didn't have to hit more than a serve!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:22 am

That's Karlovic territory!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am

HM Murdoch wrote:I just read that Krygios had 68 un-returned serves (including aces).

Hell,'that's nearly 3 sets
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:38 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:I just read that Krygios had 68 un-returned serves (including aces).

Hell,'that's nearly 3 sets

100% first serve points won untill 6-6 in the first set, I guess he lost just a point in 1set serve at the tie breaker otherwise it could have been a clean chit.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:43 am

kingraf wrote:Rafa wasn't blown away (which I assume would be easier to handle and have a prognosis on)... He lost two tie breakers, having had a set point in one of them. Got broken in the only break point he faced. They were quite even, but Krygios just edged the big points. That simple

This made the victory more sweeter, this showed the youngster had the metal to fight on tougher situations and bigger points, he could have easily lost the 3rd set and match but he didn't.

Outrageous 3 sets are not as fun as close win, I would any day take a close win over easy win.  thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:43 am

kingraf wrote:Rafa wasn't blown away (which I assume would be easier to handle and have a prognosis on)... He lost two tie breakers, having had a set point in one of them. Got broken in the only break point he faced. They were quite even, but Krygios just edged the big points. That simple

This made the victory more sweeter, this showed the youngster had the metal to fight on tougher situations and bigger points, he could have easily lost the 3rd set and match but he didn't.

Outrageous 3 sets are not as fun as close win, I would any day take a close win over easy win.  thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:46 am

Id say the best day in tennis tomorrow, every match is a big one and all could be classics.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:02 am

falzy21 wrote:Id say the best day in tennis tomorrow, every match is a big one and all could be classics.

Cilic beating da joker would make my day, I would love to see a Fed-Murray repeat of 2012 with roof closed.  Yahoo 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Glad to see Kyrgios win.  So, between Raonic and Kyrgios, we are guaranteed at least one youngster in the SF.  I hope it will be Kyrgios but expect it will be Raonic.  That said, I think Kyrgios has more potential than Raonic in the long run.  Obviously, long way to go and a lot can go wrong between now and then.

I am also hoping we can get Dimitrov in the SF as the second youngster.  That would be a nice break-through.  He is almost guaranteed to be in top 10 after Wimbledon (unless Cilic does something really big) and, if he beats Andy, he will overtake Andy in the rankings too.

I do not have a strong preference between Cilic and Djokovic, probably mildly prefer Cilic, but will be ok with the inevitable Nole victory.

I do have a strong preference between Federer and Stan Smile.  That said, I do like Stan too, so would not be totally heart-broken if he won.

Hoping for a Fed vs Dimi final.  With today's result, Fed must think now that he has a chance to win the title here.  If he is playing near his current best, I would still give him better than even odds against all of the players remaining in the field.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:34 pm

summerblues wrote:Glad to see Kyrgios win.  So, between Raonic and Kyrgios, we are guaranteed at least one youngster in the SF.  I hope it will be Kyrgios but expect it will be Raonic.  That said, I think Kyrgios has more potential than Raonic in the long run.  Obviously, long way to go and a lot can go wrong between now and then..

I am not sure about that SB, its about matchup Krygious matches up well against Rafa, it won't be the same against Raonic, Raonic will give him no rhythm either, Nick is a poor returner and given the serve Raonic posses it could easily make the kid lose hope, next match will be more tough than Nadal or Fed, we could see how Nick counters it.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:58 pm

I think we are agreeing on tomorrow's match.  I also said I expect Raonic to win tomorrow.

But I think that in the long run, Kyrgios has more potential than Raonic.  If you told me now that - in future - one of them will make it to #1 and the other one will not, I know I would not bet on Raonic.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:17 pm

summerblues wrote:I think we are agreeing on tomorrow's match.  I also said I expect Raonic to win tomorrow.

But I think that in the long run, Kyrgios has more potential than Raonic.  If you told me now that - in future - one of them will make it to #1 and the other one will not, I know I would not bet on Raonic.

But Raonic can always be a thorn in Kyrgios stats atleast in h2h, I have to see how this kid plays a guy of super natural serve, also being a Canadian I guess there is some kinda patriotism for Roanic I guess  Very Happy 

But I like Nick's game better and he is impressing me every day in court.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Raonic will beat him at the net and is a better mover for now.

Korgi has a lot to improve around the court.

Dimi with a little luck but crowd against him, will have it hard.

Stan to lose in 4.

Djoko to win in 4.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Federer looking like the comfortable favourite for the title now. Should cruise to the final and I would back him over Djokovic, who I expect to get through from the top half. Looks in great form.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Federer looking like the comfortable favourite for the title now. Should cruise to the final and I would back him over Djokovic, who I expect to get through from the top half. Looks in great form.

Until last night I was more or less relaxed about Wimbledon an Fed's chances because I felt he will make the QF or SF at best because of the potential match up with Nadal. Now I am starting to feel nervous!

I still think the winner of this is most likely to come from the Djokovic or Murray SF. I think Federer will be up against it today because this is a new Wawrinka and he knows this is a great chance to do great things here. He has beaten Murray now at a slam and has had success against Djokovic and to knock out two defending champions gives him loads of confidence.

I have also noticed Federer tends to throw in a shocker of a match the day/round after Nadal makes an exit. Whether he then puts himself under pressure to win the whole thing I don't know causing his game to be affected. It happened at RG in 09. Nadal goes out on the Sunday, Fed goes down 2 sets to love and is down 3-4 15-40 before pulling off a comeback. Happened again here in 2012 after Nadal lost to Rosol. He went down 2-0 and was two points away from going out in the 3rd set t/b but won in 5. Also, last year he followed Nadal the next round.

Federer today can lose to a number one or 114 in the world. You just never know. He has a great chance to do something but he has a lot of tough matches before he can even think of reaching a final.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 pm

FedsFan. Understand your anxiety. The path to the final beckons for Fed now that Rafa is out. Funny how opportunities can come when someone else knocks out the big guy for you. Would Murray have won last year if Rog and Rafa had not gone out early ?
  Then Soderling did the bizzo against Rafa in Paris in 09 opening the way for Fed to nip in for probably what was going to be his only chance to win the French.
  Many will recall Fed doing Henman an enormous favour by beating Pete S at Wimbledon in 2001 only for the rain to scupper Tim in the Ivanisevic semi.
  Who did Becker beat in 85 in the final? Kevin Curran who was 12th seed who very obligingly had earlier demolished a for-once off-colour Johnny Mac.
  They say you can only beat the guy who's put in front of you. Sometimes, you don't even have to do that.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

sirfredperry wrote:FedsFan. Understand your anxiety. The path to the final beckons for Fed now that Rafa is out. Funny how opportunities can come when someone else knocks out the big guy for you. Would Murray have won last year if Rog and Rafa had not gone out early ?
  Then Soderling did the bizzo against Rafa in Paris in 09 opening the way for Fed to nip in for probably what was going to be his only chance to win the French.
  Many will recall Fed doing Henman an enormous favour by beating Pete S at Wimbledon in 2001 only for the rain to scupper Tim in the Ivanisevic semi.
  Who did Becker beat in 85 in the final? Kevin Curran who was 12th seed who very obligingly had earlier demolished a for-once off-colour Johnny Mac.
  They say you can only beat the guy who's put in front of you. Sometimes, you don't even have to do that.

I agree but the victory is sweeter if you can defeat the top guys for the title. I think 2001 was Henman's best chance for Wimbledon glory and in a way it is a pity he didn't achieve that.

What is interesting is that you will always have people comment on the fact player x won only becaue y and z were knocked out. I believe Murray won last year because things worked out for him only by looking at previous results i.e he always fell to Nadal in the semis here. But as you say, you can only beat the guy in front of you. I think if you are destined to get something, you will get it ala Federer at RG in 2009. Its amazing that Nadal had that blip as otherwise with Fed's decline in form and the rise of Djokovic that FO would have looked very unlikely. Same with Murray I think last year.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9