The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite boxers!

+15
lambertm100
sittingringside
catchweight
Derbymanc
hazharrison
mobilemaster8
TopHat24/7
theanimal316
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
tommyhearnsprodigalson
AdamT
hayemaker
19 posters

Go down

Favourite boxers! Empty Favourite boxers!

Post by hayemaker Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:16 am

First post here so will start with an easy one. Who is you favourite current boxer and who is your favourite boxer of all time and who do you think is the best of all time?

My favourite current boxer is Haye but big fan of Froch to. Support most British boxers except for Khan and Fury!

Favourite of all time? Easy its got to be Ali!

Best of all time? I think Mayweather for defence and Ali for attack!

hayemaker

Back to top Go down

Favourite boxers! Empty Re: Favourite boxers!

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:23 am

Favourite current, Carl Frampton (im biased). On a world scene, Mayweather (though him and Pac not fighting is irritating)

Favourite of all time, Tyson and Duran.

Greatest of all time, hard to say. Everybody says SRR, but I can't say that because I have only seen old videos. I don't think there is a such thing. Lots of great champions had there time and it is to hard to compare different eras.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:31 am

I'll probably get a lot of stick for this but my favourite boxers to watch at the moment are Khan, Chris Eubank Jr and Fury...

My favourite all boxer of all time is Tommy Hearns watching him was like a thing of beauty!

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:43 am

Currently it's Froch but all time it's Duran, as for greatest ever Charles deserves a mention.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:47 am

I don't believe RJJ is the best all around boxer. On saying that, I struggle to find a fighter who could beat him when he had all his freaky speed and reflexes.

I will get laughed at for saying this, but I believe he toys with a peak Hagler at middleweight and wins a wide unaminous decision.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:49 am

tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:I'll probably get a lot of stick for this but my favourite boxers to watch at the moment are Khan, Chris Eubank Jr and Fury...

Nostradamus himself Wink
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:17 am

According to the guys on here it's Floyd Mayweather...

But alas it isn't.....Donald Curry will always be my special Boxing friend....A fighter that could fight on either foot and criminally underachieved...

Watched his whole career up until Michael Nunn ..A fight I avoided...

Sad waste....But I enjoyed the ride...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:29 am

Current favourite: Cotto. He's possibly my all time favourite as well, definitely up there.

The first boxer I saw who I deemed world class was RJJ. He had such an aura of invincibility about him, so he'd be up there as one of my all time favourites.

That's for entertainment.
For emotional investment, obviously being from South Wales I always wanted Calzaghe to win.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 1:52 pm

Favourite current: Have 2.  CarlFrampton (gotta support your own) and Amir Khan for pure excitement!  Kahn is rarely in a dull fight.

Favourite past:  Joe Calzaghe. Loved everything about the guy (except leaving his lovely missus for the dancer bird).  Without the brittle hands could have been an ATG.  

Best I've seen: Gotta say RJJ.  Haven't seen enough archive footage to comment on anything pre mid 80s os basing on what I have seen.  Though I predict a prime Calzaghe could have taken a prime RJJ all the way and nabbed a draw or an SD.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:00 pm

Currently: Framps (domestic) Mikey Garcia (International)

All time: Hearns & RJJ.

Welcome to the madhouse......(much more sane than it used to be!)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:12 pm

Favourite boxer for me is Juan Manuel Marquez.

He is also my favourite of all time along with Mike Tyson.

Best of all time for me would be again probably Mayweather. Absolutely class at what he does. Brilliant fighter to watch.

I absolutely hate Fury. Can't stand the guy. Hope he gets his face caved in against Chisora. Failing that, hopefully the K Bro with smash his stupid head in.

Also on a side note, don't go shouting too much about Haye as your favourite haha lots of people hatw him with a passion on here!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:32 pm

Now: Gary Sykes
All time: Tommy Hearns/Joe Frazier
Greatest: Robinson

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:44 pm

Now: Bellew. He ain't perfect and is far from world class.
All time: Ummm wouldn't really say I've got one, I like to watch some of the older stuff but prefer learning it from the posters on here.
Greatest: Robinson (came to the conclusion after reading an autobiography)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 18 Jul 2014, 6:38 pm

I don't know who my favourite boxer is at the moment. I watch boxing to be entertained so my favourite fighters tend to be the value for money ones. I have found boxing going through a stale period in the last few years. Most of the top fighters haven't really done much for me and the standard hasn't been great. Whether this is a result of a slow decline or just a dip I don't really know. Im really hoping for boxers like Golovkin, Frampton, Wilder, Kovalov, Thurman, Joshua amongst others to come through. The sport could seriously benefit from some top fighters that deliver entertainment and have the right attitude.

In terms of favourite of all time then there are loads from the 80s I would consider but historically Archie Moores boxing story is an incredible journey that has a bit of everything. A real legend.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:45 pm

Plenty of boxers I like for different reasons....

Hagler was the one who got me interested in the sport. As a youngster I was enthralled watching the Minter fight and intrigued as to what it was that could inflame such passion/violence in the crowd.

Domestically, Nigel Benn was a real tour de force when he came on the scene. Brash, arrogant, vulnerable and brought excitement by the bucket load. David Haye's early career reminds me of Benn's.

Got a real soft spot for Michael Watson...humbled every time I see him. A class act in and out of the ring. As a result it's also made me appreciate Eubank a lot more.

Also got a lot of time for Floyd Patterson, a true gentleman of the sport and real enigma. A man who clearly didn't like fighting yet won the greatest prize of all.

Obvious mentions for Ali and Robinson.

Special mention for Peter Jackson (still criminally overlooked on the boards).

Used to enjoy watching the likes of Michael Brodie, Michael Jennings, James Hare, Alex Arthur and Scott Harrison on Friday fight nights. Also having Toney Oakey believe that he was the best LH in the world (despite RJJ having a major say in that discussion) is something I will always remember fondly. Used to desperately want Oakey to lose and then ended up warming to him by the time he was coming to the end of his career. Nice bloke who tried his best and made a few quid.

One the world scene, I was a fan of Barrera, Morales and JMM. Used to enjoy (on his good days) Joel Cassamayor too. Also had a soft spot for the late Baby Jake Matlala.

Was going to mention Bradley Pryce but he's let himself down badly of late and I'm past caring what he does now.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:47 pm

Casamayor was criminally underrated. Beautiful boxer.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 19 Jul 2014, 9:07 am

I liked Casamayor too. I wasn't too aware of him until the Katsidis fight but that will stay with me for a long time. Absolutely thrilling battle. Well worth a rewatch on YouTube

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 19 Jul 2014, 9:08 am

Check out the first fight with Corrales if you haven't seen it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 19 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm

Favourite current boxer- Amir Khan. Great to watch due to the combination of his vulnerability and offensive class.

Favourite of all time is a toughy. Duran, Ali, Napoles, Barrera, Bob Fitzsimmons , Packey Mcfarland and Moon Sung-Kil are all boxers I've got a fondness for from watching and reading about over the years.

Best boxer ever- Muhammad Ali.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by lambertm100 Sat 19 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm

Favourite current boxer: George Groves. Hope he comes good, gutted he lost to froch.

Favourite of all time: Pernell 'sweat pea' Whittaker. His YouTube highlights give me goosebumps.

Best ever: out of the boxers I've watched, Lennox lewis

lambertm100

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 19 Jul 2014, 10:31 pm

I like a lot of boxers for very different reasons but especially those who are happy to take on all-comers win, lose or draw.

My British favourites from the past are usually in the really exciting category, the KO artists such as Benn up to the McClellan fight, Haye as a cruiser and the good solid pros who don't get mentioned enough, such as Paul Ingle, the late Gary Mason & Carl Thompson to name but 3.

International faves were Joe Calzaghe (his demolition of Lacy was a thing of beauty in the ring), Lennox Lewis, Miguel Cotto and of course Roy Jones when he was THE Light-heavy king.

Best I have seen was RJJ, avoiding Glen Kelly's punches before KOing him with a punch from behind his back. Amazing.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 20 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm

All time favourite is Joe Calzaghe

Current favorites are Nathan Cleverly who is gonna unify at Cruiserweight and Lee Selby who will go on to be one of the best Featherweights ever

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm

Lennox Lewis or Joe Calzaghe, I would suppose.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 20 Jul 2014, 7:38 pm

All time fav - Marvin Hagler

Old time fav - Henry Armstrong

Last fav - Lennox Lewis

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down