The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saturday Nights Bill

+15
wheelchair1991
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Derbymanc
jimdig
3fingers
hazharrison
RanjitPatel
Hammersmith harrier
rob-glos
catchweight
Dipper Brown
owen10ozzy
mobilemaster8
Strongback
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saturday Nights Bill Empty Saturday Nights Bill

Post by Strongback Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:18 pm

Saturday Nights Bill BtPN0xkCQAAfCTw

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Saturday Nights Bill Empty Re: Saturday Nights Bill

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:04 pm

I'll probably leave that. Let me know how it goes. Sounds utter garbage.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:07 pm

What do you think of that bill then Strongback....

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:14 pm

Haven't heard of anyone on before 10pm. I'd be howling by then. Rubbish card

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:17 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:What do you think of that bill then Strongback....

A big local name in Fury.
A European Title fight
A British Title fight
Eubank Jr, Chambers

As a domestic card goes it's as good as any I have seen in recent times particularly as it won't be a succession of one sided fights.

I watch most of the bigger British domestic bills so I'll be watching this. Fury is of course the draw.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Haven't heard of anyone on before 10pm. I'd be howling by then. Rubbish card

Eddie's put on worse mate. Tell him I said that will you.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm

Its too long and drawn out. I couldn't sit through all that. Id struggle even if they were all top fights.

Ive heard it been a problem at his Copper Box shows. These marathon cards that run overtime with people having to leave the main event to get the tube and crowds of people coming and going in between the fights as each boxers personal contingent of fans up and leave after their fight and knew ones arrive.

Ive even read some of the refs were instructed to stop fights asap when the card was running way over schedule.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:34 pm

Strongback wrote:
Dipper Brown wrote:Haven't heard of anyone on before 10pm. I'd be howling by then. Rubbish card

Eddie's put on worse mate. Tell him I said that will you.

How many times Strongback, I'm only level 7! I can't communicate directly with Dear leader. Stop rubbing it in!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 24 Jul 2014, 6:27 pm

You've never heard of Eddie Chambers?
You've never heard of Tom Stalker?
You've never heard of Liam Smith?

You've never heard of Martin Gethin?

Yet apparently you're a boxing fan. 

Odd.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 24 Jul 2014, 6:41 pm

I could trawl Boxrec and say yes but that would be disingenuous of me.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:08 pm

Eddie Chambers is a good boxer surely he should be climbing the ladder.

Stalker is toss. No power. He really does bore me. Don't see him going places to be fair.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm

It's a really poor card, no fights of interest other than the hope Ustinov finishes Fury.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm

Good card after 7pm. Gethins fight will be fight of the night I reckon.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm

Flanagan against Gethin is a top fight - Flanagan to win that one. Fury is always entertaining but I can't get away with BJ Saunders. I think Eubank Jr. shuts him up.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:14 pm

Good on you dipper.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:06 pm

Not sure why Eddie chambers has ended up opening warren cards. Maybe because he'll draw people in early. I'd also have an interest in seeing Gomez jr just to see if he's likely to go anywhere. 

In hypothetical land if I was going I'd want to see chambers which would mean I'd be blind drunk by the time fury rolls out.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm

jimdig wrote:Not sure why Eddie chambers has ended up opening warren cards. Maybe because he'll draw people in early. I'd also have an interest in seeing Gomez jr just to see if he's likely to go anywhere. 

In hypothetical land if I was going I'd want to see chambers which would mean I'd be blind drunk by the time fury rolls out.

You actually want to see Chambers fight? Dude....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm

hazharrison wrote:
jimdig wrote:Not sure why Eddie chambers has ended up opening warren cards. Maybe because he'll draw people in early. I'd also have an interest in seeing Gomez jr just to see if he's likely to go anywhere. 

You actually want to see Chambers fight? Dude....
Ha, I have nothing to say for myself. I'll go stand in the corner.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:I could trawl Boxrec and say yes but that would be disingenuous of me.

You shouldn't really need to trawl Boxrec... 

Eddie Chambers has been in with Wlad and Povetkin, he's not exactly a nobody. 
Liam Smith is a Smith brother, I don't see how you can be a British boxing fan and not know who he is. 
Tom Stalker (even though he's hugely overrated) was the captain of the 2012 Olympic boxing team. 
Martin Gethin is a former british champion and has been in a few big(ish) british fights. 

See what I mean?

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:23 pm

I do. I'm just being honest and saying that I haven't heard of them.

Im sure not even the parents could name all the Smith bros.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm

Wasn't meaning to be a dick... Just a bit surprised as I consider a couple of them to be names.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm

No worries, wouldn't consider myself a die hard boxing encyclopaedia. This kind of ties in with the Golovkin thread about what a fighter needs to do to get himself known.

I'll point out I've seen all the recent Callum and Paul Smith fights and didn't even know there was a fourth brother. The others fight for Matchroom...not using that as a stick to beat Hearn critics with, just find it interesting.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:34 pm

Rob it's patently obvious you're a better human being than Dipper because you know more British boxers than him. Dipper it is equally obvious you are a better living creature than hammer due to your integrity and unwillingness to consult boxrec.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 25 Jul 2014, 8:45 am

rob-glos wrote:
You've never heard of Eddie Chambers?
You've never heard of Tom Stalker?
You've never heard of Liam Smith?

You've never heard of Martin Gethin?

Yet apparently you're a boxing fan. 

Odd.

So what, you don't need to watch every boxer going to show your a boxing fan. I only vaguely recalled Eddie Chambers before he was on Ch5, Stalker bored me to death on one of the masters cards (I think). Can't remember why I know of Liam Smith, and Martin Gethin seems the perennial underachiever.

It's this elitist attitude that winds a lot of people up.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 10:09 am

Be going out for some Italian tomorrow night.....and then later I'll be taking Jo out for a meal...

Not missing much it seems.....Warren wants to retire with dignity while he has some fighters left ....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 10:28 am

Strongback wrote:

A European Title fight
A British Title fight
Eubank Jr, Chambers

And if Hearn but on an identical card, on PPV (which BN essentially is) you'd be screaming blue murder!!

Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:15 am

Very true..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

A European Title fight
A British Title fight
Eubank Jr, Chambers

And if Hearn but on an identical card, on PPV (which BN essentially is) you'd be screaming blue murder!!

Rolling Eyes

Hearn has put on worse cards. At least there are some decent match-ups and not all one-sided walk overs. Don't forget it is only a domestic card.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm

Unfortunately these cards seem the norm for BN which makes it worse when it was marketed as a massive thing. Most of Hearns smaller bills are advertised as Saturday Fight Night.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 25 Jul 2014, 1:32 pm

Its become very apparent to me that Derbymanc and Dipper Brown only joined this site to champion Hearn and run down Warren.

Judging by this thread their boxing knowledge is on a par with Eddie himself who only entered the sport of boxing 3 years ago.

I judge any card by its potential to throw up good fights. On a domestic British card I don't expect to see a plethora of world class fighters.

Never heard of Eddie Chambers, Liam Smith, Tom Stalker etc...........you two should be doing more reading and less typing.

The term noob was invented for you guys.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm

I've never claimed to be an oracle on boxing, I enjoy the sport but it's no obsession of mine. Not everyone who comments on this site will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of boxing, I'm sorry if this disappoints you. In a lazy sporting comparison, do you think every supporter in Old Trafford could name the Man Utd youth team?

I think the card on Saturday is poor. For a huge arena in Manchester I believe it's disappointing. It's billed as a world title eliminator and it's at the MEN not York hall.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough. I don't care about Eddie Hearn. I doubt many boxing fans do really. I subscribe to sky mainly because I like football, I also like boxing so I try to watch that when it's on. For that reason I know more about the boxers on Sky than Box nation, which I'm unwilling to pay for as I pay enough for television. It's very, very simple.

You should maybe take a moment to write more appropriate and measured responses. Less typing, more thinking.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:13 pm

Christ give it a rest Strongy, nobody on here champions Hearn, there's a few that do counteract the utter bile you throw his way but in your mind that means they must be a fanboy of his.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:24 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:I've never claimed to be an oracle on boxing, I enjoy the sport but it's no obsession of mine. Not everyone who comments on this site will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of boxing, I'm sorry if this disappoints you. In a lazy sporting comparison, do you think every supporter in Old Trafford could name the Man Utd youth team?

I think the card on Saturday is poor. For a huge arena in Manchester I believe it's disappointing. It's billed as a world title eliminator and it's at the MEN not York hall.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough. I don't care about Eddie Hearn. I doubt many boxing fans do really. I subscribe to sky mainly because I like football, I also like boxing so I try to watch that when it's on. For that reason I know more about the boxers on Sky than Box nation, which I'm unwilling to pay for as I pay enough for television. It's very, very simple.

You should maybe take a moment to write more appropriate and measured responses. Less typing, more thinking.

Why say you have never heard of a lot of the well known fighters and then say the card is rubbish.

BTW its a domestic card and this is what domestic cards look like. Eddie has put on many cards of this scale.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:39 pm

I've already explained, second paragraph.

I'm sure he has but again, I don't care about Eddie Hearn (third paragraph). I was commenting on this particular card. I wasn't comparing it to a Matchroom card or to any other card FW has put on.

In February Matchroom put on a card in Cardiff with AJ, Rees vs Buckland, Selby vs. Munroe and I bought a ticket. In May (I think) they put on a card with Nathan Cleverly headlining, I didn't fancy it so I didn't go and watched it on TV. Didn't think once about who the promoter was, didn't cross my mind.

So those are my thoughts on the card. You're welcome to disagree. If you're offended that people without a deep knowledge of boxing comment on this board then I'm disappointed for you. I don't feel the need to seek validation from a stranger on the internet so I won't be apologising for my opinion.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

Strongback wrote:Its become very apparent to me that Derbymanc and Dipper Brown only joined this site to champion Hearn and run down Warren.

Judging by this thread their boxing knowledge is on a par with Eddie himself who only entered the sport of boxing 3 years ago.

I judge any card by its potential to throw up good fights.  On a domestic British card I don't expect to see a plethora of world class fighters.

Never heard of Eddie Chambers, Liam Smith, Tom Stalker etc...........you two should be doing more reading and less typing.

At no point have I ever said my boxing knowledge is extensive or even 1/5th of what a lot of the people on here know (Your company is excluded of course,)

If you read my post a few bits above yours, you'll notice the fact that I did know who they were, I just bemoan the fact that people try to put others down that don't.

I'm quite happy to hold my own talking about Johnny Owen or Luis Resto, doesn't make my view more valid than anyone that only knows about Audley Harrison.

The term noob was invented by people on the Internet to try and make them sound more superior than others, what it tends to do is show the fragile persona's that are desperate for attention in whatever way they can (The same people can be heard shouting obsceneties through Xbox Live, Playstion network etc (Noob is a favourite term along with things they'd like to do to yo' momma.)

Unfortunately for you, whenever you see the name Eddie Hearn/Hearn or Matchmaker it turns you into a rage, and if you'd like to go through quite a few of my older posts you'll see I liked the magnificent seven card (I even paid for it) but in my opinion your uncle (Frank Warren for those that don't know,) has put on bog standard to lower standard cards lately.

As I live just up the road from the MEN I did look at going to this domestic showcard, unfortunately the prices were more for an International showdown so I passed, and this is the problem most people have with it.

Also-Exactly what Dipper said, who cares who the promoter is, if it's a bad card it's a bad card. How many 50/50 fights are on that card?

Last edited by Derbymanc on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My spelling is atrocious)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 4:17 pm

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

A European Title fight
A British Title fight
Eubank Jr, Chambers

Rolling Eyes

Hearn has put on worse cards.  At least there are some decent match-ups and not all one-sided walk overs.  Don't forget it is only a domestic card.

What complete and utter rubbish.

Both Hearn and Warren have put on both better and worse cards than this. Sticking a couple of average uninteresting fighters in together does not suddenly constitute a 'decent match-up' just because the finish isn't predicatable.

Eddie Chambers is a name but little else, basically a blown cruiser fighting a nobody. So that's not a draw.

Next recognisable name is Tom Stalker who's only contribution to the world of boxing is captaining GB12 and is otherwise boring and average - but this is still a fairly obvious home win.

Then you've got a couple of uninspirising Brit title match-ups, including the least relevant and least interesting Smith brother.

Then Eubank Jr and BJS are in totally predictable one-sided fights, no different to what Hearn would be doing with them. The only time anyone will take notice of them is when they fight eachother.

Finally, for all intents and purposes, you've got a poor lumbering HW fighting in a back-up last-minute match against a poor slow lumbering HW.

There's nothing to get excited about there.

And stop bleating on about this being a 'domestic card'. It's totally irrelevant. It wasn't billed that way originally and the pricing (both tickets and PPV) doesn't suggest this is any better an effort than the sort of card Eddie would stick on SS1.

This card is no better, and arguably a lot worse, than Eddie's last card at the Echo Arena which had someone interesting and decent in almost every fight and the results were not much more predictable - bar maybe AJ.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 25 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm

Another thing to remember....

Frank Warren will be trying to spin the embarrassingly small crowd there by saying lots of people returned their tickets after Chisora pulled out....

Don't believe a word of it!!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 4:49 pm

Strongback wrote:Its become very apparent to me that Derbymanc and Dipper Brown only joined this site to champion Hearn and run down Warren.

I judge any card by its potential to throw up good fights.  On a domestic British card I don't expect to see a plethora of world class fighters.

well Strongy you have accused me and Derbymanc of being planted on here by Hearn because of our post count(not sure why but this is the world of Strongback) I can only assume you are a WUM or just suffer from an irrational hatred of a person you don't actually know

as for the card its rubbish I prefer the look of next week's card compared to this

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 25 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm

To be honest, I've only paid attention to the MEN card in the last week or so since Fury's rant and the pull out. I'm really excited about the GGG Geale fight personally. I'll be recording it and watching it on Sunday.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:51 pm

I've seen a fair few of the posters on here coming out with this card is rubbish, it's a load of one sided beatings and then it turns out to be a good card and their tune changes completely.

It's a domestic card nothing more, these guys have to earn money somehow. Personally never understand the point of moaning about fights before the event, could easily be a few upsets on this card.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

A European Title fight
A British Title fight
Eubank Jr, Chambers

Rolling Eyes

Hearn has put on worse cards.  At least there are some decent match-ups and not all one-sided walk overs.  Don't forget it is only a domestic card.

Both Hearn and Warren have put on both better and worse cards than this. Sticking a couple of average uninteresting fighters in together does not suddenly constitute a 'decent match-up' just because the finish isn't predicatable.

Eddie Chambers is a name but little else, basically a blown cruiser fighting a nobody.  So that's not a draw.

Next recognisable name is Tom Stalker who's only contribution to the world of boxing is captaining GB12 and is otherwise boring and average - but this is still a fairly obvious home win.

Then you've got a couple of uninspirising Brit title match-ups, including the least relevant and least interesting Smith brother.

Then Eubank Jr and BJS are in totally predictable one-sided fights, no different to what Hearn would be doing with them.  The only time anyone will take notice of them is when they fight eachother.

Finally, for all intents and purposes, you've got a poor lumbering HW fighting in a back-up last-minute match against a poor slow lumbering HW.

And stop bleating on about this being a 'domestic card'.  It's totally irrelevant.  It wasn't billed that way originally and the pricing (both tickets and PPV) doesn't suggest this is any better an effort than the sort of card Eddie would stick on SS1.

This card is no better, and arguably a lot worse, than Eddie's last card at the Echo Arena which had someone interesting and decent in almost every fight and the results were not much more predictable - bar maybe AJ.

Waffle and there is a good British title fight included. Paper never refused ink is the overriding impression when it comes to TOPHAT's posting history.

Watching Olympian's knocking over totally over-matched opponent is less interesting to watch than the majority of the fights on this card.

BoxNation is a subscription channel and guess what so is Sky Sports. You're a dummy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:29 pm

A world of difference between what the two channels offer though Strongy so fair to say you are the dummy yet again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 26 Jul 2014, 12:01 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:A world of difference between what the two channels offer though Strongy so fair to say you are the dummy yet again.

Yeah for a boxing fan BoxNation shows the best fights in the world for £10/12 a month. You are a muppet.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:12 am

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

A European Title fight
A British Title fight
Eubank Jr, Chambers

Rolling Eyes

Eddie Chambers is a name but little else, basically a blown cruiser fighting a nobody.  So that's not a draw.

Then Eubank Jr and BJS are in totally predictable one-sided fights, no different to what Hearn would be doing with them.  The only time anyone will take notice of them is when they fight eachother.

And stop bleating on about this being a 'domestic card'.  It's totally irrelevant.  It wasn't billed that way originally and the pricing (both tickets and PPV) doesn't suggest this is any better an effort than the sort of card Eddie would stick on SS1.

Waffle and there is a good British title fight included.  Paper never refused ink is the overriding impression when it comes to TOPHAT's posting history.

Watching Olympian's knocking over totally over-matched opponent is less interesting to watch than the majority of the fights on this card.

BoxNation is a subscription channel and guess what so is Sky Sports.  You're a dummy.

ok, say someone did think this was a card worth watching (and not just for your shameless reasoning) - how much would it cost to watch it?? Answer me that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 26 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

Strongy showing his knowledge again, and you try and say I know nowt.

Your a complete loony.

Hampo, Speaking for myself there isn't a major problem with the card, it's a local domestic card that 'could' throw up a few surprises (but probably won't). My issue is that it's been marketed as this amazing card that everyone wants to see due to Fury's drawing power (Hi again Strongy.)
Unfortunately that's not the case and it's done poor numbers at the MEN (4000 or less if rumours to be believed) and people (Who knows who?) are somehow using this to shoehorn an argument about Matchroom.

It's a half decent domestic card
But a very poor extravaganza card.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 26 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

In all my haste to say I didn't know anyone before 10pm. I forgot about Liam Williams, but this is probably more to do with the fact he's from the same town as me more than my knowledge of the domestic scene.

And in my defence, everyone is called Williams in the valleys so no wonder I didn't twig and make the connection.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

FURY HAS PULLED OUT.

Absolute shambles.

Still a good card, Strongy??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:FURY HAS PULLED OUT.

Absolute shambles.

Pretty negative from you Toppy.

I just wanted to see a fight, you seem to be revelling in the fact we won't see one.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:24 am

Got to feel for the fans who've bought tickets. Were they offered refunds after Chisora pulled out? Have to be now surely?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:59 am

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:FURY HAS PULLED OUT.

Absolute shambles.

Pretty negative from you Toppy.

I just wanted to see a fight, you seem to be revelling in the fact we won't see one.

doesn't answer either of my two questions.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next