The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRB's WWC today

+21
majesticimperialman
kunu
Cumbrian
GoodinTightSpaces
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
lostinwales
Jimpy
Preserved Killick
brennomac
disneychilly
Nachos Jones
Pete330v2
Cyril
Engine#4
The Great Aukster
Hound of Harrow
BigTrevsbigmac
Notch
PenfroPete
Neutralee
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

IRB's WWC today - Page 2 Empty IRB's WWC today

Post by Neutralee Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not sure if anyone is aware, or interested, but the pool stages of the Womens World cup is on today, with Aus playing SA, Eng playing Samoa, and France v Wales.

In reality England and NZ should compete to win the cup, but you never know as a few nations have improved rapidly lately.

As usual I have no representation in the World cup, but i'm used to that now, and will just enjoy the rugby.

I like watching womens rugby, it's inevitably slower, and less physical but skillsets have improved massively over the last few years, and it makes for an entertaining game.

Good luck to every lady involved

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

IRB's WWC today - Page 2 Empty Re: IRB's WWC today

Post by Notch Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree Rugby Fan. If I was in the shoes of England coach at that moment I would have all the permutations mapped out in my head and be telling the players to get it out for a draw and knock out the side which may well have posed the biggest threat!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:06 pm

I think they knew, with todays analysis and communication they mustve been in the position to know what a 13 draw would outcome, if they didn't get that news onto the pitch then more fool the England back room staff.

They were in a decent position 40 or so out, the maul was going at a rate of knots and I don't think the ref had called once had she, they could have comfortably let that maul go for another few yards and found the outcome before making the decision, thats why I think the decision was made pre lineout, jump secure, numbers bang!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Ireland could well be more of a test to England than NZ would have been so I don't think it really matters.

Looking forward to the semi-finals. Good to see how strong some of the NH sides are in the women's game.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Cyril wrote:Ireland could well be more of a test to England than NZ would have been so I don't think it really matters.

Looking forward to the semi-finals. Good to see how strong some of the NH sides are in the women's game.

You may be right, Ireland were superbly structured and organised, fair play to the coaching team they have those girls drilled. Also Ireland had huge support in the NZ game.

However last 4 WC winning champs, experienced, one of, if not the biggest and most physical side in the comp, superb athletes, and talent from 1 to 15, I think England would play Ireland 10 times out of 10 in the semi before NZ.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Neutralee wrote:I think England would play Ireland 10 times out of 10 in the semi before NZ.
I think that used to be the case, but not any more.

As some of the experts were saying on the show last night, they weren't that surprised to see NZ struggle and not make the semis. I think a number of sides are going to show that they've caught up and surpassed them.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Cyril wrote:
Neutralee wrote:I think England would play Ireland 10 times out of 10 in the semi before NZ.
I think that used to be the case, but not any more.

As some of the experts were saying on the show last night, they weren't that surprised to see NZ struggle and not make the semis. I think a number of sides are going to show that they've caught up and surpassed them.

maybe your right, I was dissapointed to see NZ who looked like a typical PI team, they had a huge physical advantage over Ireland, but technicals were poor, and they kept relying on the same mediocre strike plays, they then become ragged and struggled with Ireland once the structure was broken down.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:23 am

Semi- finals loom.

Expecting an Ireland-France final.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 am

England haven't played very well so far, so hopefully they'll step it up this evening.

If Ireland play like they did vs NZ then it could be very close.

France should beat Canada. Their forwards are enormous!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Totally forgot these games were on today  clap thanks guys

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:46 pm

http://www.rwcwomens.com/liveblog/blogid=1895.html

(16:45 – 19:00) – 17:00 – Ireland v England - IRB Womens World Cup Semi-Final – Sky Sports 4
Referee: Amy Perrett (Australia)
Assistant referees: Nicky Inwood (New Zealand), Alexandria Pratt (Scotland)
http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/teams/team=4107/index.html

http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/teams/team=4083/index.html

(19:30 – 22:00) – 19:45 – France v Canada - IRB Womens World Cup Semi-Final – Sky Sports 4
Referee: Helen O'Reilly (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Nicky Inwood (New Zealand), Clare Daniels (England)
http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/teams/team=4106/index.html

http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/teams/team=4084/index.html

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Once again we have ref issues, Helen O'Reilly could be put in a pretty awkward position! As too could Clare Daniels

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:00 pm

C'MON IRELAND

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Cyril wrote:England haven't played very well so far, so hopefully they'll step it up this evening.

England seemed to have in general struggled since deciding in 2013 to prioritise the 7s WC over that years 6Ns. This saw a very much second string team lose to Ireland and France. While the 6Ns GS was won this season, a number of wins were tight, Ireland especially unlucky to lose at Twickenham and england often looked flustered when up against well drilled teams. We saw this again against Canada. Ireland are a very well drilled side.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:18 pm

First blood for Ireland- they turn down a shot at goal to have a crack at the driving maul, they carry the English pack over the line and the ball is lost in a mass of bodies but the TMO sees no reason a try can't be awarded!

Ireland 7-0 England!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:28 pm

England hit back with a try from Rochelle Clark. 7-5, conversion missed. This is a real forwards battle. Physicality is huge out there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:35 pm

England scrum right now has the Irish on the rack. They push Ireland off the ball for a penalty which Emily Scarratt converts to give England an 8-7 lead.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:38 pm

England try, starting to look ominous for Ireland now
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 pm

England brought back 6 players for this game with about 290 caps between them.

Still, a way to go yet.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:07 pm

With Englands set piece dominance this is completely under their control. 21-7 and Ireland are rattled. Can't see a way back for us now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:27 pm

26-7 with about 20 to go (following it on the IRB website) and maybe all that experience England brought back has made the difference.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Cyril wrote:England haven't played very well so far, so hopefully they'll step it up this evening.

England seemed to have in general struggled since deciding in 2013 to prioritise the 7s WC over that years 6Ns. This saw a very much second string team lose to Ireland and France. While the 6Ns GS was won this season, a number of wins were tight, Ireland especially unlucky to lose at Twickenham and england often looked flustered when up against well drilled teams. We saw this again against Canada. Ireland are a very well drilled side.

How wrong could I be. Really well done by England.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Sounds like things started very brightly for Ireland, but its been one way traffic for an hour

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:48 pm

40-7, final whistle.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Gotta say, given that performance England will almost certainly be winning this World Cup. They look like they know it is their destiny and they are fearsomely trying to make it happen.

A formidable side. Hard to watch that in the end. We were brushed aside. It's not that Ireland are in any sense a bad team either. England were just too good. Congratulations to them.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Well done England and commiserations to Ireland. A cracking tournament from them, and a notable scalp along the way.
clap

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Wowzers!

That was an excellent, dominant display by England.

Fair play to Ireland, their defence was really good at times (it could have been a really nasty score for them otherwise) but England really found their momentum. Excellent at the breakdown, strong scrum and good recycling in attack.

I'm more and more impressed by the ladies game each time I watch it. Brutal and skilful. Brutiful Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Well done the English Roses. The predicted walkover happened as it logically should, given it was professionals v amateurs.

The ladies game is more brutal than skillful, especially when one side don't wear make-up.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:46 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Well done the English Roses. The predicted walkover happened as it logically should, given it was professionals v amateurs.

The ladies game is more brutal than skillful, especially when one side don't wear make-up.

Rubbish. Who are the professionals? The England women all have day jobs outside of rugby.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:59 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Well done the English Roses. The predicted walkover happened as it logically should, given it was professionals v amateurs.

You are mistaken if you think England's women are professional. They all have jobs* or are studying, and have to take annual leave and/or unpaid leave to fulfil their training commitments.

Yes, the RFU fund the womens game really well, but the players are not on pro contracts.

* 3 of the starting XV v Ireland are RFU employees, but that just makes getting the necessary time off a bit easier.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Didn't watch the game, but sounds like the Irish psyche taking its toll. We typically don't expect to win like England or NZ do, and when a deserved big win comes our way and we are emotionally overdrawn. The way the team celebrated after beating New Zealand was telling, an unknowing spectator could be forgiven for thinking they won the tournament. Ireland v Aus in the men's wc serves as another example.

Both of the above resulted in a subsequent embarrassing score lines against teams each had experience beating in the past. In the back of their minds, the players had already achieved something amazing, and consequently their opponents wanted it more.

Sometimes I feel like the greatest thing anyone could do for an Irish team is to make them TRULY expect success. Anyway, I'm off on a tangent here - congrats to the English team for what sounds like a ruthlessly effective display, typical of their hunger to dominate.
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Sorry - Cumbrian has already made the point. 

And a good comeback by USA who pipped Aus. It looks like Aus missed a penalty with the last kick.

France 6-3 up v Canada...tense game judging by the IRB text updates.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I read in the paper that Ireland was underdogs for this game.

But Ireland knocking out the Black Ferns, made me wonder should England be the underdogs. For this game? With the way England played against Canada i mean.

But watching this  game today England was far the better team. But would just like to say well played Ireland today.

The Irish ladies have beaten an All Black side. So it now begs the question, When are the men going too beat the All Blacks.

Is it just me or does the Womens game get a shorter break at half time than the mans game?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Really enjoying the cup & rugby being played. Great performance by England this evening.
Canada now really turning on the heat against France.

All very impressve stuff & the first time I have genuinely been interested in watching the women's game.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:57 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Really enjoying the cup & rugby being played. Great performance by England this evening.
Canada now really turning on the heat against France.

All very impressve stuff & the first time I have genuinely been interested in watching the women's game.

Yes its funny how easily attitudes change. Its like the womens boxing at the commonwealth games. There was probably no boxer there of either sex more accomplished and skillful than Nicola Adams

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Cumbrian wrote:

Rubbish. Who are the professionals?  The England women all have day jobs outside of rugby.

Aren't there at least 7/8 girls in there on the RFU payroll as DO's or something similar? Also there are a lot of girls studying through RFU funding, allowing their training schedules to be pretty comprehensive. Then there are a few teachers and unskilled girls.

Taking nothing away from the English girls though, just fantastic, their skill levels are a world apart from the rest of the worlds, even the kiwi's. What they are doing is very very right!

Can't see beyond England now after that, I think they'd give most championship sides a go!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:33 pm

England V Canada in the final on Sunday

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I knew I had seen this earlier today (while waiting for a taxi).

Here's an extract from an article centering on La Toya Mason - Eng no. 9.

[size=32]Despite the financial strength of the Rugby Football Union, the squad remain amateur and many of the players have had to use up annual or unpaid leave to take part.[/size]

[size=32]“I'm one of the more fortunate players in the squad because I work for the RFU as a community coach in Surrey and it was not as difficult for me to take the time off work because the RFU have been so helpful,” added Mason, who first came to England in 2007 to play for Northumbria University.[/size]

[size=32]“But other players have had to take time off work, unpaid leave, all their annual leave or pay cuts.[/size]

[size=32]"Everyone has this idea that England have full-time professionals and have everything but some of the stress some of our girls have been under has been immense.[/size]

[size=32]"That’s why I think we are so tight together as a squad because we all know what each other has gone through. It brings us together more.[/size]

[size=32]“We've been asked to take a week off every month from [/size]
January and for some players who have real jobs like being police officers, they can’t go on holiday after this tournament because they have no leave left.”

PS. Apologies if the text size changes.

PPS - 2 of today's starters are RFU community coaches and one is RFU university rugby Development Officer.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:58 pm

HOH

I wasn't having a pop at them, I think it's great how they have worked this out. The RFU have funded study etc, employed a few girls, and aided others, if any union wants to be successfull before going pro this is how to do so!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:06 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:England V Canada in the final on Sunday

Well done Canada. 

At least the girls get the same number of days turnaround unlike the men's RWC where the scheduling often gives an advantage to tier 1 countries.

Still, a four day turnaround in the WRWC is ridiculous. Surely this comp could have been over another 8 days giving an additional 2 days recovery between each round.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:18 pm

I think the game on Sunday between England and Canada, will be a very tight game.

If you look at the last time these two teams played. Well you will know what i am talking about

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Neutralee wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:

Rubbish. Who are the professionals?  The England women all have day jobs outside of rugby.

Aren't there at least 7/8 girls in there on the RFU payroll as DO's or something similar? Also there are a lot of girls studying through RFU funding, allowing their training schedules to be pretty comprehensive. Then there are a few teachers and unskilled girls.

Taking nothing away from the English girls though, just fantastic, their skill levels are a world apart from the rest of the worlds, even the kiwi's. What they are doing is very very right!

Can't see beyond England now after that, I think they'd give most championship sides a go!

So what you’re saying is that they all have jobs, they aren’t paid to play rugby and therefore aren’t professional rugby players?  What a coincidence, that is exactly what I’m saying!  

According to the RFU website, four out of the squad of 26 work for them.

Ceri Large
La Toya Mason
Sarah Hunter
Tamara Taylor

The rest are teachers, students, personal trainers and a number of other professions such as vets, plumbers and occupational therapists.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:23 pm

I understand that you're not having a pop, but it irritates me that there always seems to have to be an excuse when an English team does well. Be it for the U20s being bigger than everyone else (they often aren’t) or the women are professional (definitely not).
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:37 am

Cumbrian wrote:I understand that you're not having a pop, but it irritates me that there always seems to have to be an excuse when an English team does well.  Be it for the U20s being bigger than everyone else (they often aren’t) or the women are professional (definitely not).

And don't forget that, if they do actually win the tournament, it will be devalued because they didnt play NZ....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:16 am

Well done England, comiserations Ireland.

Reading this thread does please me (apart from the obvious tired, hackneyed and rather dull argument about professionals v amateurs) - because a recurring theme amongst some posters on 606v2 with regards to the women's game was that rugby was a sport for men, women shouldn't be playing such a rufty-tufty sport, that the skill levels were poor, the pace was slow and the contacts half hearted.

Most of us are able to appreciate it for what it is - a fast and skillfull game, with plenty of physicality and plenty of scoring. The women's game is growing in stature and rightly so. The absence of hecklers on this forum sees them put back in their narrow minded boxes.

England to win at a canter on sunday, they're fired up and ready.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:28 am

I believe the commentator stated yesterday that women's rugby was the fastest growing team sport in the world.
It may have come from a low base with many countries struggling to play any tests at all but this is good news.
This tournament has shown the players to be highly skilled and many teams competitive.
Highlights for me were
Ireland's win against NZ
Canada's performance against England (they should have won)
Yesterday's performance by England.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:15 am

Well done indeed England and I don't know what to say to the Irish girls, England were simply a class above, there was nothing anyone in the Irish camp could have done bar getting the men to play wearing full makeup.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:41 am

Pete330v2 wrote:Well done indeed England and I don't know what to say to the Irish girls, England were simply a class above, there was nothing anyone in the Irish camp could have done bar getting the men to play wearing full makeup.

And even then, only maybe.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:36 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:I understand that you're not having a pop, but it irritates me that there always seems to have to be an excuse when an English team does well.  Be it for the U20s being bigger than everyone else (they often aren’t) or the women are professional (definitely not).

And don't forget that, if they do actually win the tournament, it will be devalued because they didnt play NZ....

You've taken it the totally wrong way, if you read my other comments I was congratulating the English system in how they have geared up towards this WRWC, the fact they have 4? apologies if I got the number wrong, on the payroll, are funding a number of students, and contribute to others is great. They get the best access (on the whole) and have developed the best players, which is what it's all about.

Theres no need to be defencive, nowehere in the mens game is it an insult to call a setup more professional than another!

If other countries don't allocate a similar type of funding, and it's probably not that much in reality, thats up to them.

And nobodies mentioned a devalued WRWC, infact everyone has been pretty impressed and congratulatory in every winning teams success, relax!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Well done indeed England and I don't know what to say to the Irish girls, England were simply a class above, there was nothing anyone in the Irish camp could have done bar getting the men to play wearing full makeup.

And even then, only maybe.

Agreed Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:I knew I had seen this earlier today (while waiting for a taxi).

Here's an extract from an article centering on La Toya Mason - Eng no. 9.

[size=32]Despite the financial strength of the Rugby Football Union, the squad remain amateur and many of the players have had to use up annual or unpaid leave to take part.[/size]

[size=32]“I'm one of the more fortunate players in the squad because I work for the RFU as a community coach in Surrey and it was not as difficult for me to take the time off work because the RFU have been so helpful,” added Mason, who first came to England in 2007 to play for Northumbria University.[/size]

[size=32]“But other players have had to take time off work, unpaid leave, all their annual leave or pay cuts.[/size]

[size=32]"Everyone has this idea that England have full-time professionals and have everything but some of the stress some of our girls have been under has been immense.[/size]

[size=32]"That’s why I think we are so tight together as a squad because we all know what each other has gone through. It brings us together more.[/size]

[size=32]“We've been asked to take a week off every month from [/size]
January and for some players who have real jobs like being police officers, they can’t go on holiday after this tournament because they have no leave left.”

PS. Apologies if the text size changes.

PPS - 2 of today's starters are RFU community coaches and one is RFU university rugby Development Officer.

If this is true about some of the girls having to use their holidays/ annual leave to play in the Rugby World Cup. Then i think it is disgusting.

These women are repersenting their country in a Rugby World Cup. They should be paid or atleast allowed to play with out using up their ANNUAL LEAVE.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next