The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter vs Brook Preview.

+23
trottb
leedizzle1986
theanimal316
All Time Great
RanjitPatel
tunes666
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
Hammersmith harrier
JabMachineMK2
catchweight
88Chris05
milkyboy
aja424
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
mobilemaster8
Mr Bounce
wheelchair1991
Dipper Brown
Duty281
Steffan
hampo17
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Porter vs Brook Preview. Empty Porter vs Brook Preview.

Post by hampo17 Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:23 pm

By Erman Housein.

Such is the depth of talent in the current pool of the welterweight division, that plenty of premium bouts excluding either of the divisions two marquee names Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has the potential to be made over the next couple of years. As fight fans we sadly too often miss out on the top names in and around the same weight division meeting each other, although thankfully in the case of Shawn Porter and Kell Brook one of the intriguing and competitive fights on offer has been signed and sealed, with the contest generating plenty of excitement for fight fans both sides of the pond.

The bout will take place on 16thAugust at the Stubhub Center in California with Porter making the second defence of his IBF Welterwight title in what will be an appealing match up of contrasting styles. We'll witness the champion adopting the role of 'swarmer' a pressure fighter with proven punching power at the top level of the sport and Brook in challenger guise handling the mantle of the pure boxer. The Sheffield man possesses an abundance of natural ability and is undoubtedly the more skilful of the two fighters, but it's whether skills alone will be enough to prize the title away from a man in Porter who brings a wealth of strength, determination and aggressiveness to accompany his relentless engine.

These two unbeaten fighters have been splitting opinions on who will have the edge ever since their collision course was paved following Porter’s dethroning of Devon Alexander back in December last year. The Champion who adopts the moniker 'Showtime' has been every inch the star turn his nickname suggests since bursting on the world stage. His whirlwind all action fighting style and humble personality outside the ring has endeared him to the American public and Porter is in a position at the tender age of 26 and with a professional record of 24-0-1 (15 Ko) to seek a run of huge money spinning fights if he can negotiate his way past Brook's challenge. Although, refusing to take Brook lightly the American has mentioned on numerous occasions his desire to fight Floyd Mayweather which if he was able to secure would see him partake in the sports biggest money spinning showdown. Porter explained in a recent interview “you know this is boxing, we don't look ahead of ourselves, but at the same time, yes, Mayweather, we all know he's on the clock and we're all right there standing there hoping that we're next in line." Victory over Brook could push him ever so nearer to realising this ambition of fighting the sports number one money draw and Brook's supporters will be hopeful that with one eye on Floyd that the pressure of a possible marquee Vegas bout next Spring will heap that little bit more pressure on to Porter and allow Brook to seize his opportunity to upset the apple cart.

In terms of the challenger, a different type of pressure will rest upon the shoulders of the Englishman come fight night. Brook will finally realise his ambition of fighting for a World title having overcome the disappointment of having multiple World title dates with former IBF Champion Devon Alexander cancelled due to injuries sustained by both men. Performing on the big stage having waited so long for his challenge to arrive could prove a daunting task for Brook and a key factor in determining the fights outcome will rest upon his ability to deliver a high level performance on his biggest night in the sport. Brook has shown glimpses of brilliance at times during his career albeit at a much lower level and whether he can manifest a complete performance on the world stage against the toughest competition he will have faced in a professional ring is an entirely different proposition.

Some of the criticism levelled at Brook throughout his career has been overly harsh, the Alexander saga saw both men plagued with injuries and was an unfortunate turn of events which is part and parcel of the sport, to blame Brook for being anything other than unlucky in these instances, is an extremely hard standpoint to take but some quarters of the boxing media seem to question his heart and desire in terms of his willingness to want to compete at the highest level for world honours. Conversely, other criticisms are perhaps more justified, with ten years and 32 fights as a professional has Brook really faced enough top names to correspond with his undoubted natural talent. Whilst Senchenko, Ndou and Jones are decent wins, they are all some way short of the genuine top level fighters Brook should have been mixing it with over the last three or so years of his career.

Other question marks over discipline in making weight and working hard enough on his fitness have also cropped up during Brook’s career. This time round he claims to be in the condition of his life having endured a 13 week training camp following his last ring outing a stoppage victory over Mexican Alvaro Robles back in March. He boasts about his preparations “I've been to America, in Sheffield and over in Spain, no stone has been left unturned for this, no corners cut. I feel great, my weight is great, I'm fuelled up for training and I have never been at a better weight.” You feel it imperative that Brook enters the ring on fight night conditioned to endure an onslaught at a high pace for the full 12 rounds as he is unlikely to get much breathing space to showcase his talent if he cannot deter Porter with his jab.

Porter offers an offensive in-ring style which although quite rightly described as predictable, is nevertheless a formidable proposition for an opponent to deal with. Forcing his opponents to work at a highly intensive pace and relentlessly seeking to back up his foes with barrages of shots. This can appear crude on occasion but is highly effective at sapping the will and energy of the recipient. His most recent victim former two weight World Champion Paulie Malignaggi was despatched brutally within four rounds. Malignaggi a slickster and veteran couldn’t handle the ferocity of Porters assaults and received his most one sided and emphatic defeat in a career which as seen him mix it with some of the worlds top fighters between the 140 and 147lb limit. Brook will fancy that he has the necessary tools to keep Porter at bay and will have considerably more meat on his punches in order to back Porter up than the light punching Malignaggi did during his challenge for Porter's crown. Although, it is difficult to envisage the fight ending without Porter having success at least on a few occasions in terms of backing Brook up against the ropes and applying pressure, it's how Brook copes with these assaults and what he has left in the tank in the latter stages of the fight which will prove telling.

The opening exchanges of the fight will be extremely important, if Porter asserts his superiority early in terms of dictating the pace and backing Brook up whether he is landing clean shots or not, by making Brook work hard and in uncomfortable conditions will set the Champion up nicely for the second half of the fight. For Brook to be successful he will need to move and establish himself behind the jab in the opening four rounds, to really try and unsettle Porter. The Brook jab will need to be thrown with authority not just a range finder, with it's purpose to back Porter up and stop him coming forward this will give Brook a platform to work and gain the centre of the ring. Even if Porter does get up close early doors you feel the uppercut could be a useful weapon for Brook if he can time the shot as Porter comes rushing in.

It's not inconceivable that Brook full of adrenaline will start fast and have some positive and perhaps dominating moments early on in the fight. But it's difficult to look past a performance from Porter which doesn't see him still knocking on the door full of drive and purpose in the latter rounds of the fight and the intensity of the Porter work load will lead to some uncomfortable moments for Brook to negotiate making a late stoppage victory for the Champion a genuine possibility.

The potential for this fight to be one of the best of the year is very real. If both fighters turn up and deliver performances nearing the best of their ability we could be in for a special night of action as the differences in both sets of styles could really compliment each other and lead to a stunning spectacle.

The reality for Brook is that regardless of the accusations labelled against him throughout his career whether justified or not, these are now irrelevant. What has gone before in his career either within or outside his control is now is the past, Brook is in the position on the grandest stage where it is up to him to prove he can deliver. He has the opportunity to control his own destiny and justify the faith shown in him by his loyal followers. For Porter he has already tasted the big time, he has won his world title and successfully defended it against a big name fighter. He knows what it takes to win at the top level and he will believe that victory over Brook will be catapult him to even bigger nights over the next 12 months.

http://www.v2boxing.com/1/post/2014/08/porter-vs-brook-preview.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Porter vs Brook Preview. Empty Re: Porter vs Brook Preview.

Post by Steffan Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Let's hope Porter can do it against this up and coming prospect

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Good that the fight is on Sky Sports 1, not Box Office or Boxnation.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah I am looking forward to this one and it is good that it's on SS1. Let's hope Porter doesn't disappoint us all

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Good read, lot of depth to the article. I think there are numerous what ifs in this fight, too many what ifs for me to make a prediction of any conviction.

I have no idea how Brook will step up to this level. If I had to stick my neck out, I'd favour Porter's aggressive style to be more popular with the judges. I hope to be proven wrong.

Not a fan of Special K, Steff?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Not a fan of Special K, Steff?
Not really. I know after only 10 years as a pro he is still a good prospect with a chance...but I think Porter has the potential to go further in his career so I hope he wins

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 pm

I do not really mind who wins, just glad that Brook is finally fighting for a world title after years of faffing about.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Yeah it's about time he took the plunge, agreed. He's there now though, so I'm getting behind him!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Im backing brook i hope he does it. Yes i know he has took a long time getting there but i hope he becomes the next British world champ

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Despite not being a fan of Kell, I actually fancy him to take this. I have never rated Alexander, and whilst Porter dealt with him relatively easily, I think Brook would have done the same, possibly even more effectively. Malignaggi may have been shot, or he may simply had an off night and been caught. I think the latter is likely given that he gave Broner hell in his previous bout. Porter's previous best win was against Julio Diaz who he drew against in a previous 10 rounder. Neither of them though have ever tasted defeat, so it's intriguing.

I think there's precious little to choose between the two of them, but given that Brook has been waiting for SO long for his title shot he will either prove it in style by taking Porter's belt, or he will show he's only Euro level as some of us think. I never thought I would be saying this but I am edging towards Brook by UD.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Well majority know my feelings on here.

I hope Brook loses. Seems to lack the right attitude and determination. Hasn't been above euro level. Don't like his general demeanor having watched his career.

Does he have a good chin? Does he have good power? Does he have the right stamina and ring smarts?

I just don't know....and neither should he.....got took the distance by Jones in a life and death situation. Got stumbled by Senchenko....had a random weight in Jones 2.....

I think the stamina will prove a massive issue in this fight as will his will to win as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking for Porter to try to jump in and out with combinations and then after the 6th, start to really pour it on and win via ud or late stoppage.

Brook will go back to fighting at euro again and then the pathetic special k can do one

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 pm

Yeah I think if he loses this one "Special K" will either go back to fighting Polish binmen or retire

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Just had a thought? Is this a final eliminator? laughing

Better tell him it is - Kell doesn't know any other type of fight...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Steffan wrote:Yeah I am looking forward to this one and it is good that it's on SS1. Let's hope Porter doesn't disappoint us all

Careful, you'll upset Strony with comments like that....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:45 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Well majority know my feelings on here.

I hope Brook loses. Seems to lack the right attitude and determination. Hasn't been above euro level. Don't like his general demeanor having watched his career.

Does he have a good chin? Does he have good power? Does he have the right stamina and ring smarts?

I just don't know....and neither should he.....got took the distance by Jones in a life and death situation. Got stumbled by Senchenko....had a random weight in Jones 2.....

I think the stamina will prove a massive issue in this fight as will his will to win as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking for Porter to try to jump in and out with combinations and then after the 6th, start to really pour it on and win via ud or late stoppage.

Brook will go back to fighting at euro again and then the pathetic special k can do one

Guy is fighting under the British flag and so many on here want him to lose !!!! I'll never get it !!...

I can understand a foul mouth turd like Fury and a woman slapper like Chisora being disliked !!

But what has this guy done ??.I imagine he'd give you an autograph, shake your hand or give you a picture If you wanted one...

Seems like a nice guy to me...........I want Porter to win............But wouldn't be to upset If this guy turned him...

So he's took his time............He's there now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm with TRUSS on this one....unless I have dyslexia and I'm reading Kell Brook instead of Derry Matthews, I struggle to see the reasons for the level of animosity towards Brook. He's a tough sell based on the fact that he's hardly got the most effervescent of personalities and he's also good enough to trouble most fighters in his weight class without actually offering them anything that would be worth the gamble to fight him (the very definition of a member of the "who needs him?" club) but outside of all that, he's talented and likeable. Yes, he's lacked the discipline he perhaps should have had at times but he's earned the right to fight for the title as opposed to shouting his mouth off behaving like an imbecile to "create a buzz"

My wife likes him (he's one of the few fighters she will take time to watch if he's on tv) so that's good enough for me.

Maybe Brook folds under the pressure a gets stopped late or loses a wide UD but I'd like to think that if he fights to the best of his ability, he surprises a few of the detractors on here and hopefully shuts their mouths.

I'll be wishing him the best but have no particular axe to grind with Porter either so will simply hope for a good fight. Might even stay up to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:06 pm

I think Porter goes in over confident and gets caught by some accurate and crisp shots.
Brook will be up for this one more than any other fight previously. Understand why most are frustrated by his lack of progress over the years but I'm going for a round 9 stoppage.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Don't see Brook stopping him...........Have a feeling Brook is like Michael Watson........Bags a talent but a penchant for making mistakes and making a job harder than it should be...

Watson (love the guy)  was an underachiever..Have a sneaking suspicion Kell, though he has the tools to win....Will find a way to lose...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,,)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Heart says Brook, head says money on Porter to stop him within 10.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Unless Porter is a flat track bully, this should go to the cards. Kell's going to have to have a great start and maybe even a flash KD to be in with a shout methinks.

Also think his corner are going to need to be on their A game as much as Kell.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm

I've never found brook to have a likeable personality. Comes across as a billy big time to me. My attitude is I'll generally support the Brit but not exclusively, so if they give me a reason not to I'll happily turncoat!

Not really at that stage with brook, so I'd like him to win and prove his doubters wrong. Unlike mobilemaster, I think he has shown heart... Plenty of it against jones... It was a fight he shouldn't have had to show heart but there's the conundrum.

He has shown serious stamina issues in the hatton and jones fights (have to say, jones hadn't looked the same fighter since... His stamina in that fight was, like Peterson against khan, he just kept coming.... I'll use the word 'remarkable'). They say they've sorted brook's stamina issues, and maybe it was laziness in training, but I'll only be convinced when I see it, some guys just don't have it.

Had I not watched porter's last 2 fights I'd strongly fancy brook, but porter's improvement was also 'remarkable'. Its a tough fight to call, porter is hard to stop when he gets on the front foot dictating the pace, doesn't look so good when backed up. The guy who controls the centre of the ring will win this. On balance, on recent performances, I see a competitive fight for 6 rounds but unless brook has built up a good lead by then, the safer bet to me is porter taking control and stopping or taking a fairly comfortable points win.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Getting more and more uncertain about this one the closer it gets.

Brook's stamina has looked shaky against Matt Hatt and Jones, but if you're a big believer in Special K you might argue that he was just cruising against Hatton because he knew he had the job done and the fight had become too easy for him, and that the first Jones fight was one of those sloppy moments where he took his eye off the ball in camp (as a lot of fighters do at least once, in fairness) and will turn out to be a valuable lesson for him. Problem is, Brook's opponents since then haven't been good enough to tell us how much weight those theories carry.

Even if the stamina is an issue, Porter doesn't really stalk opponents or make them move constantly the way Jones did and prefers to fight in big spurts (albeit they're very busy spurts and more regular than some other fighters who use a similar attack), so if Brook is in the best shape he's ever been in as he and his camp are saying he definitely shouldn't be blowing too hard any time before the championship rounds here.

I don't think there'll be a knockout either way, as Brook (despite what some say) has a pretty big heart as shown against Jones and also recovered well after being momentarily wobbled by Senchenko, and Porter's whiskers seem solid enough albeit he's not been in there with too many heavy bangers. Brook's jab will be key as he'll beat Porter in a pure boxing match and Kell's accuracy, which is impressive, bodes well against a guy who doesn't move his head much like Porter.....But Porter is very, very strong on the inside, can jump in there quicker than you think and my concern is that Brook is just a little one-paced and hasn't really shown the nous or physicality to keep a brutish, barrel-chested guy like Porter off him for twelve rounds.

I'll be cheering for Brook and I definitely won't be surprised if he wins it - he's better than some people on here want to give him credit for, in my view. But I think Porter will come on strong after having a lot of problems early doors and do enough down the stretch to win a close-ish decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:51 pm

You used to be indecisive but now you're not so sure Chrissy.

It is a tough fight to call. The malignaggi fight in particular is a curve ball in any analysis... A total destruction of a previously iron chinned opponent. But was it just timing, we've seen guys get deified after such performances and then look decidedly human in their next fight.

I hope brook was just previously lazy but Witter was a 5 round fighter and I'm sure he trained hard, you might say the same with groves to an extent. I just think brook is too, when he loses the snap in his punches he can't keep lesser fighters than porter off and ships too much leather. No result would shock me, but ultimately on what we have to go on, that's the key differentiator... That and we've seen porter in with live opposition and look good, whereas this is a big step up for kel. The question marks are against brook not porter and on balance whilst I think he could win its a brave man who'd back him I think.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:53 pm

I like Porter in this. Everything in his favour.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:55 pm

catchweight wrote:I like Porter in this. Everything in his favour.
Brook will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Can someone explain how Brook has loads of talent please and also what you base it on is. Performances and quality of opposition.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Brook has struggled when he's stepped near world class and I think Porter is too dangerous. Think he'll have him out of there within 9.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Porter w12..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Wrong thread idiot.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:14 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Can someone explain how Brook has loads of talent please and also what you base it on is. Performances and quality of opposition.
Stop being so negative. These guys can vouch that Brook has lots of heart and talent

The current USBA Champion and IBF pre-eliminator to the eliminator winner:
Porter vs Brook Preview. 325px-Carson_Jones

And these tough fighters from Poland:
Porter vs Brook Preview. Article-1168259-00519F2800000258-330_468x375

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Brook has struggled when he's stepped near world class
I always had you down as European level if I'm honest Jab...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Im just confused with the whole situation really. I don't like him because he is completely overrated, seems to lack any sort of attitude regarding the sport, has poor stamina, has never ventured outside of his garden for a fight and has touched nowhere near world level....

Yet he apparently has bags of talent?

I just don't know where people get that from and if they do...where do they base it on?!

I think David price has bags of talent because he spanked Skelton early and McDermott.....eh?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Steffan wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Brook has struggled when he's stepped near world class
I always had you down as European level if I'm honest Jab...

Whistle I should be so lucky.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Haha Stefan. Good stuff.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Mobile. Bags of talent? People base it on what they see from his boxing ability. It's just observational. If you don't see it fine.

Personally, I think he has boxing ability, but we haven't seen him against a top operator to see how good it is. I don't think he's that great defensively and I question his stamina.

I've been as frustrated as the next guy with the slow pace of his career, but he's stepped up to the plate now, so fair play to him I say.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

I don't see it because its not been on show in my opinion.

I'd also say "about bloody time" as opposed to "fair play" with regards to his title shot.

The guy has had 32 fights and has been beating around the bush for years doing nothing.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 pm

You're a bit blinded by hatred on the subject of brook moby!

You asked what other's saw in him I told you. We know what you think.

It is about time he stepped up, but he has, so some credit to him... Is that better?! Very Happy just a bit of credit, not real credit obviously... A smidgeon, a soupçon?

Did you feel the same about Ricky hatton's 8 years and nearly 40 fights worth of bums and mexican road sweepers before he fought Tszyu?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:23 pm

How you can say Brook hasn't got talent is beyond me, if he had no talent he would have lost by now regardless of the level of opposition, as it is he's cruised in every fighter other than Jones I.

You could say the same about any fighter out there who hasn't fought at world level and even then you could say they haven't fought at elite level. He's beaten what's been put in front of him so clearly has talent.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Haha nicely put Milky.

To be fair,I never rated Hatton THAT highly prior to Tszyu....but I'd say its a little different then Brook fighting Porter for example.

As far as I remember, Tszyu wasnt just a champion but was also highly ranked in the ever elusive P4P ranks as well?

He then went on to fight Floyd, Pacquiao, Collazo, Castillo, Urango, Lazcano etc so until Brook steps up and (if) beats Porter and fights some decent names....I leave the comparisons...for now.

But, you all know Im not a fan.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:36 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Wrong thread idiot.

Talking about threads when are you doing another one..

You've written some crackers in the past !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Wrong thread idiot.

Talking about threads when are you doing another one..

You've written some crackers in the past !!

We need some inside info on this fight, I need to know where to put my money.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Haha nicely put Milky.

To be fair,I never rated Hatton THAT highly prior to Tszyu....but I'd say its a little different then Brook fighting Porter for example.

As far as I remember, Tszyu wasnt just a champion but was also highly ranked in the ever elusive P4P ranks as well?

He then went on to fight Floyd, Pacquiao, Collazo, Castillo, Urango, Lazcano etc so until Brook steps up and (if) beats Porter and fights some decent names....I leave the comparisons...for now.

But, you all know Im not a fan.

I doubt frank would  have put hatton in with porter, moby.  He took a calculated risk in fighting an inactive guy who was nearly 36. If he lost he lost to a legend... It was a no lose situation. He then cherry picked the other belts as the better fighters fell by the wayside or moved division, until he had the mega payday fights. Good fighter... Very well managed.  

Brook is fighting a young champion who on the face of it is in great form... And no where to go if he loses.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:52 pm

I actually watched the Porter vs Malignaggi fight again last night....porter does get hit. A lot.

So...if Kell DOES carry world level power...he could potentially do damage on Porter.

I just think Kell will freeze and get hammered.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:00 pm

I don't think he's that big a hitter moby but he certainly hits harder than paulie, so the question is, does he hit hard enough to discourage porter from taking liberties?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:09 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:I actually watched the Porter vs Malignaggi fight again last night....porter does get hit. A lot.

So...if Kell DOES carry world level power...he could potentially do damage on Porter.

I just think Kell will freeze and get hammered.

I think the Paulie fight can be misleading because Paulie has zero power and is shopworn. So Porter walking through him is not what makes me believe he beats Brook. The Alexander fight is what makes me think he will probably beat and maybe stop Brook. He beat Alexander well. Although Alexander is not the best in the division, he is a proven champ. I also feel like Porter has become some kind of beast in the last two or three fights. He looks like he might walk through Brook (taking shots but keep coming) and put some hurt on Brook on the inside. I do not rate Brook's inside game at all. If he let's Porter inside, he could wing away at him and stop him. Hope Brook boxes and moves to a points decision, but he will have to get off first at distance to do so. If this fight comes inside, it's going to be difficult for Brook.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Didn't see the Alexander fight but was very impressed with Porter against Paulie but I'm still gonna stick to my fellow countryman

Yes Porter ran through Paulie, but he got hit cleanly a lot. Now getting clocked from Paulie is a lot different to getting clocked by Kell who is a strong welter with decent power. Paulie was scraping past Cano and then he fought broner who isn't a welter and all of a sudden he's a big time player

I think that Brook will be strong enough to keep Porter from swarming him and an see him jabbing his way to close decision where the judges choose between Brooks constant work or Porters explosive but infrequent bursts

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:10 pm

Very true Milky. Does he punch as hard as Devon?? If not then I think Porter walks him. If he does contain genuine pop though....at least enough to stop him wildly running in with combinations....then he could potentially grab it.

I'm not a fan and I think he loses. He is British so I suppose there is a flip side.

But until he wins, knuckles down and takes the sport more seriously and challenges himself then I'll slowly become a fan.

I was the same with Froch up until Kessler 1. Now I think he is fantastic and one of Britain's best ever fighters.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:59 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:But until he wins, knuckles down and takes the sport more seriously

You don't know him Mobile.........A bit patronising to say the least !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Brook has struggled when he's stepped near world class and I think Porter is too dangerous. Think he'll have him out of there within 9.

He has struggled with one fight, and came back with improvements and had a rematch and won with more conviction.. He has TKO everyone apart from UD couple fighters who have never been stopped...

There is certainly a ? on how good Brook really is, but he clearly has talent..

Porter has not exactly proven to be allot better him self.

Yes he had a close and scrappy fight with Alexanda and just about won, and then looked very impressive against Paulie who despite being a handful is known to be hot and cold due to his lack of power, and may well be over the hill...

For me its a very close fight. Is Kell going to take his skills up to another level?, was Porters last performance a big statement?

This is what the fight will conclude.

Kell Brook has proven he is very clearly above Euro Level, So is very much worthy of stepping into this world title fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:40 am

Wouldn't say it was a patronising statement Truss but when he clowns around with unknowns, openly admits he couldnt be bothered making weights, pulls out of numerous fights due to "injury".

Its a general assumption that he don't take it serious. I could be wrong and as a fellow Brit I'd like to be proved wrong.

Unfortunately I don't see him changing.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next