The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter vs Brook Preview.

+23
trottb
leedizzle1986
theanimal316
All Time Great
RanjitPatel
tunes666
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
Hammersmith harrier
JabMachineMK2
catchweight
88Chris05
milkyboy
aja424
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
mobilemaster8
Mr Bounce
wheelchair1991
Dipper Brown
Duty281
Steffan
hampo17
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Porter vs Brook Preview. - Page 2 Empty Porter vs Brook Preview.

Post by hampo17 Sun 10 Aug 2014, 7:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

By Erman Housein.

Such is the depth of talent in the current pool of the welterweight division, that plenty of premium bouts excluding either of the divisions two marquee names Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has the potential to be made over the next couple of years. As fight fans we sadly too often miss out on the top names in and around the same weight division meeting each other, although thankfully in the case of Shawn Porter and Kell Brook one of the intriguing and competitive fights on offer has been signed and sealed, with the contest generating plenty of excitement for fight fans both sides of the pond.

The bout will take place on 16thAugust at the Stubhub Center in California with Porter making the second defence of his IBF Welterwight title in what will be an appealing match up of contrasting styles. We'll witness the champion adopting the role of 'swarmer' a pressure fighter with proven punching power at the top level of the sport and Brook in challenger guise handling the mantle of the pure boxer. The Sheffield man possesses an abundance of natural ability and is undoubtedly the more skilful of the two fighters, but it's whether skills alone will be enough to prize the title away from a man in Porter who brings a wealth of strength, determination and aggressiveness to accompany his relentless engine.

These two unbeaten fighters have been splitting opinions on who will have the edge ever since their collision course was paved following Porter’s dethroning of Devon Alexander back in December last year. The Champion who adopts the moniker 'Showtime' has been every inch the star turn his nickname suggests since bursting on the world stage. His whirlwind all action fighting style and humble personality outside the ring has endeared him to the American public and Porter is in a position at the tender age of 26 and with a professional record of 24-0-1 (15 Ko) to seek a run of huge money spinning fights if he can negotiate his way past Brook's challenge. Although, refusing to take Brook lightly the American has mentioned on numerous occasions his desire to fight Floyd Mayweather which if he was able to secure would see him partake in the sports biggest money spinning showdown. Porter explained in a recent interview “you know this is boxing, we don't look ahead of ourselves, but at the same time, yes, Mayweather, we all know he's on the clock and we're all right there standing there hoping that we're next in line." Victory over Brook could push him ever so nearer to realising this ambition of fighting the sports number one money draw and Brook's supporters will be hopeful that with one eye on Floyd that the pressure of a possible marquee Vegas bout next Spring will heap that little bit more pressure on to Porter and allow Brook to seize his opportunity to upset the apple cart.

In terms of the challenger, a different type of pressure will rest upon the shoulders of the Englishman come fight night. Brook will finally realise his ambition of fighting for a World title having overcome the disappointment of having multiple World title dates with former IBF Champion Devon Alexander cancelled due to injuries sustained by both men. Performing on the big stage having waited so long for his challenge to arrive could prove a daunting task for Brook and a key factor in determining the fights outcome will rest upon his ability to deliver a high level performance on his biggest night in the sport. Brook has shown glimpses of brilliance at times during his career albeit at a much lower level and whether he can manifest a complete performance on the world stage against the toughest competition he will have faced in a professional ring is an entirely different proposition.

Some of the criticism levelled at Brook throughout his career has been overly harsh, the Alexander saga saw both men plagued with injuries and was an unfortunate turn of events which is part and parcel of the sport, to blame Brook for being anything other than unlucky in these instances, is an extremely hard standpoint to take but some quarters of the boxing media seem to question his heart and desire in terms of his willingness to want to compete at the highest level for world honours. Conversely, other criticisms are perhaps more justified, with ten years and 32 fights as a professional has Brook really faced enough top names to correspond with his undoubted natural talent. Whilst Senchenko, Ndou and Jones are decent wins, they are all some way short of the genuine top level fighters Brook should have been mixing it with over the last three or so years of his career.

Other question marks over discipline in making weight and working hard enough on his fitness have also cropped up during Brook’s career. This time round he claims to be in the condition of his life having endured a 13 week training camp following his last ring outing a stoppage victory over Mexican Alvaro Robles back in March. He boasts about his preparations “I've been to America, in Sheffield and over in Spain, no stone has been left unturned for this, no corners cut. I feel great, my weight is great, I'm fuelled up for training and I have never been at a better weight.” You feel it imperative that Brook enters the ring on fight night conditioned to endure an onslaught at a high pace for the full 12 rounds as he is unlikely to get much breathing space to showcase his talent if he cannot deter Porter with his jab.

Porter offers an offensive in-ring style which although quite rightly described as predictable, is nevertheless a formidable proposition for an opponent to deal with. Forcing his opponents to work at a highly intensive pace and relentlessly seeking to back up his foes with barrages of shots. This can appear crude on occasion but is highly effective at sapping the will and energy of the recipient. His most recent victim former two weight World Champion Paulie Malignaggi was despatched brutally within four rounds. Malignaggi a slickster and veteran couldn’t handle the ferocity of Porters assaults and received his most one sided and emphatic defeat in a career which as seen him mix it with some of the worlds top fighters between the 140 and 147lb limit. Brook will fancy that he has the necessary tools to keep Porter at bay and will have considerably more meat on his punches in order to back Porter up than the light punching Malignaggi did during his challenge for Porter's crown. Although, it is difficult to envisage the fight ending without Porter having success at least on a few occasions in terms of backing Brook up against the ropes and applying pressure, it's how Brook copes with these assaults and what he has left in the tank in the latter stages of the fight which will prove telling.

The opening exchanges of the fight will be extremely important, if Porter asserts his superiority early in terms of dictating the pace and backing Brook up whether he is landing clean shots or not, by making Brook work hard and in uncomfortable conditions will set the Champion up nicely for the second half of the fight. For Brook to be successful he will need to move and establish himself behind the jab in the opening four rounds, to really try and unsettle Porter. The Brook jab will need to be thrown with authority not just a range finder, with it's purpose to back Porter up and stop him coming forward this will give Brook a platform to work and gain the centre of the ring. Even if Porter does get up close early doors you feel the uppercut could be a useful weapon for Brook if he can time the shot as Porter comes rushing in.

It's not inconceivable that Brook full of adrenaline will start fast and have some positive and perhaps dominating moments early on in the fight. But it's difficult to look past a performance from Porter which doesn't see him still knocking on the door full of drive and purpose in the latter rounds of the fight and the intensity of the Porter work load will lead to some uncomfortable moments for Brook to negotiate making a late stoppage victory for the Champion a genuine possibility.

The potential for this fight to be one of the best of the year is very real. If both fighters turn up and deliver performances nearing the best of their ability we could be in for a special night of action as the differences in both sets of styles could really compliment each other and lead to a stunning spectacle.

The reality for Brook is that regardless of the accusations labelled against him throughout his career whether justified or not, these are now irrelevant. What has gone before in his career either within or outside his control is now is the past, Brook is in the position on the grandest stage where it is up to him to prove he can deliver. He has the opportunity to control his own destiny and justify the faith shown in him by his loyal followers. For Porter he has already tasted the big time, he has won his world title and successfully defended it against a big name fighter. He knows what it takes to win at the top level and he will believe that victory over Brook will be catapult him to even bigger nights over the next 12 months.

http://www.v2boxing.com/1/post/2014/08/porter-vs-brook-preview.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Porter vs Brook Preview. - Page 2 Empty Re: Porter vs Brook Preview.

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

I'll be putting a few quid on the draw. Brook will show to be better than his previous opponents could attest to and Porter will be shown to be overrated because of Paulie fight. It is an exact science, honours even, a draw.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:55 am

I'm really looking forward to this. Such an intriguing fight given Kell brings an unknown factor - no one knows how good he is. A lot of fence sitting.

Porter does look a beast though, his victory over Alexander is a top win (Alexander has been in with this likes of Maidana, Bradley, Kotelnik etc.) so he's no mug.

As a betting man, I would say Porter stops Brook early. But I could equally be just as wrong.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:30 am

Insightful article. Am really looking forward to this one, very difficult to predict given that Brook hasn't fought at this level and I have only seen Porter twice against Alexander and Paulie. Hope Brook does it but any result or manner of win won't be a surprise.

Why all the hatred for Brook though!? You can only beat who is in front of you, and he has done that convincingly apart frmo Jones I. The Alexander fiasco was horrible luck it's difficult to lay any blame on Brook for that. For the lack of high quality opposition he has fought surely more blame should be aimed at his promoter than him. Also someone mentioned that he has a high opinion of himself, I haven't seen any evidence of that. Even if he did he is a boxer for crying out loud, self promotion is his job! Seems humble enough to me. Hope Brook wins so we can see the Khan fight.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

Could not agree more animal. I really don't see where the hate for Kell comes from. He is a talented at least fringe world class fighter and we should get behind him. His detractors will say he is not world class but if he isn't then what is he? He demolished everyone at British level and has dealt with European operators(Hatton,Jacwieckz) very very comfortably.

I also don't understand where the unprofessional comments come from either. To the best of my knowledge he came in at a PREAGREED catchweight for Jones 2 after a long injury lay off, this is not unusual(Incidentally a fight he comprehensively won and improved on the first fight, however people will just use the first fight as a stick to beat him with) Other than that he has never failed weight and is always in good condition. He gassed in Jones 1 but he tells us that has been addressed so who are we to question?

He has the guts to go abroad to take on a genuine world champion who has looked a bit of a beast in his last couple and people are still having digs! For the record I think Kell will lose a close fight which will enhance his standing regardless of the result, I hope I am wrong and he does it but I am no Kell fanboy, I just can't stand people sitting behind computer screens ripping someone who is quite clearly giving it their all and going in to the hardest fight of their life. Give the lad a break!

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

Good to see Brook finally stepping up and challenging for a world title. Will he have the talent and stamina to carry him through? I guess will find out on Saturday. A genuine 50/50 fight for me and I'll be cheering on the man from Sheffield.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:33 pm

trottb wrote:Good to see Brook finally stepping up and challenging for a world title. Will he have the talent and stamina to carry him through? I guess will find out on Saturday. A genuine 50/50 fight for me and I'll be cheering on the man from Sheffield.

Surprised Hearn didn't make sure the fight was over here.........It's a definite 50/50 and worth the expense........

Let's face it Brook has more chance of getting a decision in the UK and would have a home crowd to liven him up when he needs it !!

Even If Hearn lost money (Not sure he would!!).. It would be nothing compared to the fruits of a Brook-Khan battle for the World title !!..

Worth gambling on.....Hearn should have got HOME advantage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 12 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm

Porter to win by 10th round KO/Brook quits on that stood.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm

Animal/lee. He rubs a few people up the wrong way, lots of fighters do, and plenty of people on here were fed up with his career stagnating for one reason or another. However, I think most people are giving him credit for taking the fight, and are supporting him in it.

It might seem like a lot of negativity, but it's just two people. Moby who has a pathological hatred of all things brook, and Steffan who has a pathological hatred of all things English.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:20 pm

Brook is running out of time to get an injury.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm

Don't worry Strongy;

Enough time for Hearn to pay Porter to feign an injury, a lesser opponent thrown in...the IBF to be paid by evil Hearn in order for Porter to be stripped and the title made vacant for Brook to win on the night...before jetting home with it and fighting stiff after stiff on PPV as Hearn brainwashes us all into paying for it because he has us believing that Brook is a genuine P4P World Champion...such is his evil ways..

Of course some of us won't need to be brainwashed as we will just stand by and watch as we write glowing reports on Hearn and Brook whilst continuously receiving our free Matchroom tickets plus our SKY bill paid for by Hearn himself!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm

Good marks for imagination Owen but you need to have a hook based in reality, that's how I do it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:16 am

You cheering on Porter as well Strongy?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 13 Aug 2014, 3:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
trottb wrote:Good to see Brook finally stepping up and challenging for a world title. Will he have the talent and stamina to carry him through? I guess will find out on Saturday. A genuine 50/50 fight for me and I'll be cheering on the man from Sheffield.

Surprised Hearn didn't make sure the fight was over here.........It's a definite 50/50 and worth the expense........

Let's face it Brook has more chance of getting a decision in the UK and would have a home crowd to liven him up when he needs it !!

Even If Hearn lost money (Not sure he would!!).. It would be nothing compared to the fruits of a Brook-Khan battle for the World title !!..

Worth gambling on.....Hearn should have got HOME advantage..

Would have to agree there, Truss. It definitely seems as though Hearn missed a trick there. As you have said it could have been the perfect build up to a fight with Khan, even if Brook loses, but at least gives it a good go.

That said, with some of the judging in Britain recently I'm glad it is stateside. I don't think British boxing could stand up to many more tainted fights.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm

Pick'em.

It won't be easy, but Brook's got the tools to take this. The first Jones fight can be ignored as Brook sustained a bad nose break. Quite looking forward to this one, could be a cracker.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

Steffan wrote:You cheering on Porter as well Strongy?

Not that bothered to be honest. I would have a little chuckle if Brook turns out to be a complete hype job.

I think Porter wins.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm

Strongback wrote:
Steffan wrote:You cheering on Porter as well Strongy?

Not that bothered to be honest.  I would have a little chuckle if Brook turns out to be a complete hype job.

I think Porter wins.
A hype job? I thought Brook was just classed as 'a good prospect' for the last 10 years?  laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2