The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC

+23
SecretFly
quinsforever
JonnyEdinburgh
gelodge
markb
Sin é
Poorfour
TrailApe
rainbow-warrior
Rugby Fan
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
Notch
Dubbelyew L Overate
nathan
Irish Londoner
ScarletSpiderman
lostinwales
Exiledinborders
Neutralee
Cyril
kiakahaaotearoa
madmaccas
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC - Page 2 Empty PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC

Post by madmaccas Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here we go again. Fresh from their victory over the unions, regions and celtic nations the PRL are at it again, this time threatening to play throughout the World Cup in 2015 if their compensation demands aren't met.

It won't stop here. Just look to the football model and previous club vs country debates to see where the emboldened PRL want to see the balance of power.

http://www.espn.co.uk/2015-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/238737.html

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC - Page 2 Empty Re: PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC

Post by Scrumpy Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:12 am

Just let them play, stuff the IRB and the RFU.

I want to watch club rugby.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC - Page 2 Empty Re: PRL seeks more money or will threaten RWC

Post by SecretFly Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:43 pm

They can't stuff the RFU!!!! The owe the RFU...the RFU brought them back in from the cold.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 pm

They owe them nothing.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Yep, that'll be the mindframe, Scrumpy. That's the attitude. BUT..........we all know what went down, RFU Chief soft-talked everyone down from meltdown and made a case for everyone calming down and letting PRL back in the Europe ring so that everyone could kick on to the future together.

That's what happened. Without the RFU pleading PRL's case for them (as they walked away from pleading their own case) we'd still be talking about nothing being solved yet on the European stage.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Back in the old days maybe of gentlemen handshakes and such like, but this is business.

The PRL will only look after their interests for their members only, they will not worry about a contract the RFU signed with IRB, sorry 'world rugby'
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:43 pm

What would happen in 2023 if Ireland were the host of the RWC? How would the season work for the Pro12 and Euro competition? Would the rest of the Pro 12 hold off and all countries start at once, or would Irish teams have to squash all their games into Nov - May/ June? I know France did that in 2007-08 but their own league competition doesn't affect anyone else. Could the others ask for compensation for loss of revenue? Probably not as SRU/ WRU would probably be involved in hosting matches.

Ireland national team probably wouldn't arrange a Summer tour, unlike France to Australia in 2008, or go to USA/ Canada and make it development

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:06 pm

I dont think Ireland alone has the stadia and facilities to host an RWC, so i wouldnt be surprised if the Pro12 countries all got some representation in terms of hosting RWC fixtures.

In fact i bet that any bid by Ireland would pre-commit to Scotland and Wales hosting several matches or even entire pools.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Back in the old days maybe of gentlemen handshakes and such like, but this is business.

The PRL will only look after their interests for their members only, they will not worry about a contract the RFU signed with IRB, sorry 'world rugby'

Certainly. And so be it. Business is business. Nobody owes the PRL a living. Correct.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:18 pm

quinsforever wrote:I dont think Ireland alone has the stadia and facilities to host an RWC, so i wouldnt be surprised if the Pro12 countries all got some representation in terms of hosting RWC fixtures.

Em................... they have.

But yes, Wales especially seems to be blessed by always being close to the right place at the right time when WCs come around. It seems they always manage to host a few games. I suspect even if the WC was in Japan, Wales would get a quarterfinal and two or three pool games Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:25 pm

before this thread gets deluged by sin e talking about stadium capacities, etc, it's also about accessibility and accommodation for non-residents. No-one is going to pay over the odds for a flight and one of the few hotel rooms to go watch Samoa vs Japan. And hotel room prices would be seriously eye-watering if everyone had to go to Ireland to see a game. There are less than 60,000 hotel rooms total in Ireland.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:26 pm

quinsforever wrote:before this thread gets deluged by sin e talking about stadium capacities, etc, it's also about accessibility and accommodation for non-residents. No-one is going to pay over the odds for a flight and one of the few hotel rooms to go watch Samoa vs Japan. And hotel room prices would be seriously eye-watering if everyone had to go to Ireland to see a game. There are less than 60,000 hotel rooms total in Ireland.

But will the Bars be open?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Are they ever not?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:35 pm

quinsforever wrote:before this thread gets deluged by sin e talking about stadium capacities, etc, it's also about accessibility and accommodation for non-residents. No-one is going to pay over the odds for a flight and one of the few hotel rooms to go watch Samoa vs Japan. And hotel room prices would be seriously eye-watering if everyone had to go to Ireland to see a game. There are less than 60,000 hotel rooms total in Ireland.

God, quins...there's always an "Ireland is too small to be a serious country" running between your lines. Ireland could host the Rugby World Cup -period. And in more comfort and fun and games ways than New Zealand offered to many Irish travelers who simply bought camper vans and still had a blast.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:37 pm

When I mentioned Ireland yesterday I was doing so in reference to season structure, similar to the issue being discussed regarding England. Not ability to host the tournament.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:42 pm

touchy much?

i said nothing of the sort. just pointing out a couple of the practicalities that would be considered by those making the decision where to allocate RWC 2023. IRB has the agenda and the "world spreading" goals in rugby, as exemplified by their recent name change. That takes lucre, lots of it, and when not going for lucre, they are likely to want to try to spread the game (ie Japan).

I am sure an Ireland RWC would be fun for all. But does it fit with what the IRB want?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:44 pm

MichaelT wrote:

When I mentioned Ireland yesterday I was doing so in reference to season structure, similar to the issue being discussed regarding England. Not ability to host the tournament.
i know, and i replied in that vein suggesting that the season structure might not be an issue if an Ireland hosted RWC offered several matches to other nations represented in the Pro12.

i'm not interested in a who can host it debate tbh. i shouldnt have voiced my opinion.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:47 pm

quinsforever wrote:Are they ever not?

Why worry about hotel rooms then? thumbsup
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Well look at it this way Quinns - the corporate entertainment would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier. My brother-in-law was invited to a 3 day corporate trip to Japan for the soccer world cup. Now if that is viable, I can't see how flying in and out in the one day of any number of airports in the UK & France isn't viable.

It actually suits better. I've flown in and out of games in the Millenium and elsewhere in the UK and while Cardiff Airport was a bit of a bottleneck, it is a tiny regional airport, unlike the airports in Ireland.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

quinsforever wrote:touchy much?

i said nothing of the sort. just pointing out a couple of the practicalities that would be considered by those making the decision where to allocate RWC 2023. IRB has the agenda and the "world spreading" goals in rugby, as exemplified by their recent name change. That takes lucre, lots of it, and when not going for lucre, they are likely to want to try to spread the game (ie Japan).

I am sure an Ireland RWC would be fun for all. But does it fit with what the IRB want?

You say what you say and I judge accordingly. I've given you plenty of rope in leeway terms but if you keep hitting a nail, I'll choose to think you're trying to sink a point Wink

Anyway. Give the WC eternally to England, France and SA...isn't that the theory I heard here a few days ago? Yeah...... might as well go for the big bucks areas with infrastructure and hotel rooms with en-suite.... why bother with the rest of the little people when MONEY is the new true God of the sport.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:05 pm

any complaints about who gets the RWC should be addressed to the IRB.

the blazers in world rugby set the agenda of the IRB and that in turn is what drives RWC selection. Money is just a means to whatever ends the IRB is trying to reach.

cant really blame the PRL for this one SF Wink

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:22 pm

SecretFly wrote:
quinsforever wrote:touchy much?

You say what you say and I judge accordingly.  I've given you plenty of rope in leeway terms but if you keep hitting a nail, I'll choose to think you're trying to sink a point Wink

Anyway.  Give the WC eternally to England, France and SA...isn't that the theory I heard here a few days ago?  Yeah...... might as well go for the big bucks areas with infrastructure and hotel rooms with en-suite.... why bother with the rest of the little people when MONEY is the new true God of the sport.
I think you are missing the point. It it not that England, France and SA should get every World Cup but that they need to get it fairly regularly to make up for the years when it goes to somewhere without the money generating capacity such as the last one in NZ.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:37 pm

SecretFly wrote:Anyway.  Give the WC eternally to England, France and SA...isn't that the theory I heard here a few days ago?  Yeah...... might as well go for the big bucks areas with infrastructure and hotel rooms with en-suite.... why bother with the rest of the little people when MONEY is the new true God of the sport.

First sensible thing you've said thumbsup
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2