The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BMW PGA Championship

+17
ryan86
navyblueshorts
plugster
raycastleunited
NedB-H
Doon the Water
Lairdy
EmmDee57
Davie
Redrage
sharrison01
super_realist
SmithersJones
LondonJonnyO
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Maverick
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

BMW PGA Championship - Page 3 Empty BMW PGA Championship

Post by Maverick Wed May 25, 2011 4:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firstly great to see the return of Kwini to the scene with his US tour coverage this, lets hope this can live up to the standard he has set with another fanscinating read and informative article he always gives us.

Couple of quick opening points to set the scene for the European Tours flagship event.

- Monday saw many top name players, participate in a special charity day held in Seve's honour raising what is reported to be £618828 for his foundation.

-Last night (24th May) Heralded the ET's annual gala dinner event which all players that attended seemed to have enjoyed

- This year has also seen more changes to the 18th Green by a resident of Wentworth Ernie Els design team. Apparently it makes it more playable and a better chance of going for it in 2, according to both McIlroy and Westwood.

- Harrington has pulled out of the event citing Knee pain (heard that from someone else haven't we) but also struggling with a hamstring issue according to statement released by Padraig.

- This years event see's the first time the PGA has ever had all 4 current major champions in it field something never before seen.

Couple of good early groups to follow if your lucky enough to be going, with McDowell, Khan and Donald off at 8am, followed by Westwood, Goosen, Quiros who are immediately followed by Manassero, McIlroy and D Clarke.

A real 3 way shoot out this week for top spot in the OGWR too, which has many if's and buts to be looked and and on many cases for some a when! If Kaymer wins he goes to number 1, if Donald wins he goes top, but if neither win Lee stays top and for many they are just waiting for the day when Luke is No1. I think its coming his form always consistent and his class always apparent. He finished runner up last year with only his poor accuracy costing him down the stretch at 17, something he has worked on in the off season and come back far more accurate and it show.

So who's your pick to win this fantastic event at a club that has become home to the ET and this tournament since 1984, will westwood, Kaymer, Donald McDowell the current european big 4 be able to emulate the feats of the European greats of Old Monty, Olli, Seve, Sir Nick, Bernhard and Woosie in capturing the flagship event, or will some outsider do a Khan and pick up the check and a good exemption to the tour.

My money this week goeson Anders Hansen he is 45/1 to win and 10/1 for a top 5 finish. When you cosnider his form in this event in the last few years 2wins, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th I'm thinking my money looks safe Erm

Maverick

Back to top Go down

BMW PGA Championship - Page 3 Empty Re: BMW PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Nice round by Ernie; where'd that come from?

Where has Scott Jamieson been for the past few years? Always thought he was not much more than a Challenge Tour player but he's had some top class efforts so far this season.
What's changed? Inspired by Laird and Knox perhaps??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri May 27, 2011 11:35 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Nice round by Ernie; where'd that come from?

Where has Scott Jamieson been for the past few years? Always thought he was not much more than a Challenge Tour player but he's had some top class efforts so far this season.

Jamieson had a good year last year, many top 20 finishes on the Challenge Tour and seems to have continued that steady form into this year. I fancied him to keep up that good form this week and he's proving me right so far. The good thing is he's done enough to keep his card for next year and also when the re-rank comes he'll be eligible for the better tournaments (Scottish Open, French Open.....). Here's hoping he can win something soon and get himself up the rankings alongside Stephen Gallagher and then up with Martin Laird.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Very nicely played by the big easy. Jamieson has had a nice solid start to the year, the biggest disappointment on CT graduates this year has to be my local lad Matt Haines, good Am career, great break through on CT last year with couple wins and a 2nd place on the OOM, but I don't think he's made a single cut this year and posted some pretty high numbers. Lot like Olly Fisher, you know he has the talent but something in himself is holding him back.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Nice round by Ernie; where'd that come from?

Ernie's been in a slump ever since his redesign was criticised last year. Perhaps the good vibes around his changes this year will lift his cloud!

Whiteford going ok but Monty dropping like a big pudding. A few Scots the right side of the cut line but suprising to see Gallacher way down. Didnt he do well here last year? And I expected better from Ramsay and Drysdale.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat May 28, 2011 12:02 am

Does anyone know why sky have a large break in most of their golf coverage?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat May 28, 2011 12:05 am

McLaren wrote:Does anyone know why sky have a large break in most of their golf coverage?

They are conducting interviews for the replacement of Monty as a commentator as he's useless?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat May 28, 2011 12:07 am

Cheers EmmDee, Mav, I see Jamieson is 211 in the owgr's. A continuation of this form over the weekend and he'll be well inside the top 200. At least.

Good start for lw1, hopefully he can keep that going.

Lairdy,
I've followed Whiteford for a while now but just when you think he's going to break through he seems to slide for a few months. Any chance of him becoming a top player?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat May 28, 2011 12:35 am

sod this I'm bored.

I'm off down the boozer.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Sat May 28, 2011 12:42 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
Lairdy,
I've followed Whiteford for a while now but just when you think he's going to break through he seems to slide for a few months. Any chance of him becoming a top player?

Dunno really. The first few times I saw him I thought we'd found a golfer who can putt! We seem to produce a lot of good ballstrikers but without the putting to go with it. O'Hara, Gallacher and to begin with Laird. But now i'm not sure what kind of player Peter is to be honest. A streaky one perhaps - dont know what part of his game gets streaky though... anyone? He comes across quite confident in any interviews I've seen.

I'd like to see more of George Murray but he's just had a triple... My brother in law knows him fairly well so I've followed his progress lately. Seems a pretty laid back character who got a win on the CT at Spey Valley last year.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat May 28, 2011 3:58 am

Good to see Howler putting together another couple of decent rounds.
Four would be nice

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

Some nice tee times for Saturday:
8.25 a.m.: McIlroy and Lowry: Simple Simon met a Pie Man . . . .
10.20: Momntgomerie and Davies: Mentor and protege
11.00: Fisher and Hanson: Wot's the chances of either of us makin' another Ryder Cup Team, eh Pete?
11.10: Casey and Els: Come on Paul, What does Poultie really think about my course design?
12.35: Westwood and Clarke: Well Darren, how much of a cut does Chubby take out of your earnings?
13.25: Aiken and Horsey: As the PGA Tour likes to say: These guys are good.
13.45: Donald and Quiros: We've got Ronnie Corbett and we've got John Cleese, Where's Ronnie Barker?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Anyone know what time skys coverage starts it appears to have gone wandering off my planner and cannot find on the tv guide!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat May 28, 2011 4:38 pm

I think because the BBC have the weekend coverage, it has been relegated to the red button in SS3 from 8:30 tonight only.

BBC coverage starts from 2:30pm

Another good reason (apart from Aliss) why BBC should leave the golf to Sky

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat May 28, 2011 6:04 pm

BBC aye..... Dodgy camera angles and filler from pointless commentators ensuing then.. Hmmm wonder how far I can hobble on my crutches attempting a jaunt out on those maybe less painful to endure! That said can't be worse than Critchleys comments on Horsey last night saying here's the recent spanish open winner err no sorry I correct myself he said and went onto say Malaysian open winner..... Bruce stop there and actually check the facts Horsey Hassan deux winner that'd be Morroco old bean! Maybe Allis might not be so bad after all

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Alliss seems to be getting better these days, perhaps he has been given a warning that the BBC is running out of glue.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat May 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Maverick wrote:

BBC aye..... Dodgy camera angles and filler from pointless commentators ensuing then.. Hmmm wonder how far I can hobble on my crutches attempting a jaunt out on those maybe less painful to endure! That said can't be worse than Critchleys comments on Horsey last night saying here's the recent spanish open winner err no sorry I correct myself he said and went onto say Malaysian open winner..... Bruce stop there and actually check the facts Horsey Hassan deux winner that'd be Morroco old bean! Maybe Allis might not be so bad after all

Exactly, the BBC might not be great, but Sky have more dreadful commentating, pointless studio waffling, and dubious camerawork. Plus adverts.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat May 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I see Denis Pugh is tweeting this morning about how 14 is the worst pin position he's ever seen at Wentworth. Poulter is having to play with a substitute caddy as his is ill after a dodgy meal

As for coverage I'm a sky man myself, generally more knowledgeable than the beeb. However its the ET sky team that's not as good as their US one. Critchly is awful

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Alliss seems to be getting better these days, perhaps he has been given a warning that the BBC is running out of glue.

laughing
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Quite fancy Rory to do a reverse Masters.
Scores seem much higher today.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat May 28, 2011 11:16 pm

I think Rory is going to have a winless year or maybe 2 something not right there for my liking but then I've never been his biggest fan

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun May 29, 2011 12:47 am

Just to say I love BBC coverage of golf and think Alliss is an all time great.

Not sure I agree with the sexy Hazrl Irvine's opening proclamation that this is the strongest ever field for this event. I may be wrong but all time greats like Monty and Ernie have entered this event at the hight of their powers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun May 29, 2011 2:48 am

Scott Jamieson well and truly jinxed by the 606v2 massive today. Doh He needs an eagle, birdie finish to get back to single digits over par for the round.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun May 29, 2011 2:53 am

McLaren wrote:Just to say I love BBC coverage of golf and think Alliss is an all time great.

Not sure I agree with the sexy Hazrl Irvine's opening proclamation that this is the strongest ever field for this event. I may be wrong but all time greats like Monty and Ernie have entered this event at the hight of their powers.

Mmm, who do I believe, a respected golf journalist of twenty years standing or a keyboard warrior with a chip on his shoulder about the European Tour? Tough choice. Very Happy

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun May 29, 2011 2:58 am

It's a hollow claim IMO, the tour is very strong at the minute due to the progress of a number of players. Is the field drastically different to any other year in the last 5-10 years? Not really.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun May 29, 2011 3:03 am

I do wish Alliss would stop burbling

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun May 29, 2011 3:36 am

Redrage wrote:It's a hollow claim IMO, the tour is very strong at the minute due to the progress of a number of players. Is the field drastically different to any other year in the last 5-10 years? Not really.

The field is probably broadly similar to prior years but in terms of the rankings improvements and importance of the tournaments won by those taking place those same players have a greater and more noteworthy standing in the game than in previous years. Hence the field is stronger in a global standing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun May 29, 2011 4:56 am

Surprised not to hear a few more people on here commenting on a great come back from donald. I think a lot of players would have been finished mentally after his start. And that shot on 13?? out of the trees was as good, if not better, than Phil Mickelson's escape on the 13th at the masters in 2010.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun May 29, 2011 5:00 am

Mac
It was a great mental comeback.
Wonder how he will sleep tonight, and how the poor first nine today will affect his thinking tomorrow.

I have a gut feeling that some one like McInroy or Howell will score low tomorrow and will sit in the clubhouse and watch them all fade away.....ala Paul Lawrie at Carnoustie.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 am

Great comeback by Lukey (lots of comments on 606!), but those putts on 17 and 18 flattered him a touch. Don't know what price he'd be but anything round about 4/1 would be a good investment on Westwood. And, YES!, that's my heart talking, rather than my head.

Either way, it would be great to see Luke and Lee (sorry Matteo etc) coming down the final few holes with the chance to take Number One emphatically before the US Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 am

Doon the Water wrote:

I have a gut feeling that some one like McIlroy or Howell will score low tomorrow and will sit in the clubhouse and watch them all fade away.....ala Paul Lawrie at Carnoustie.

I'd be quite happy about that as long as it is Ross Fisher who takes on that role.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun May 29, 2011 8:53 am

AS i Said earlier I cant see Rory picking a title up this year, I think it will be one from Lee, Matteo or Luke. I don't think luke will even be thinking about the front 9 issues of today, because his back 9 score was as good as it could have been even on a good day so lots of positives for him. What will be good to see is him v's manassero aas they're both similar, not long but straight, both good wedge players and both solid on the greens. My outsider for a low round tomorrow Edfors

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun May 29, 2011 9:14 am

I've not been home much of the day but I did watch Luke's back nine down at the golf club and if I'd been here I'd certainly have commented on it!

Not sure about his last two greens "flattering him". That's what he does best. OK so the monster snake on 17 had a bit of good fortune about it but if anyone will do it then Luke will.

I'm heading over to Wentworth on Sunday morning so won't be commenting during the day tomorrow either but I'll be supporting Luke all the way (and Quiros who I have a little e/w bet on)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon May 30, 2011 1:02 am

Looks like it's going to be a great finish. Wish I could watch it but I'm travelling so only have a mobile broadband connection.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon May 30, 2011 1:05 am

Have just passed the Titleist tour truck on the M4. I assume it's on its way to Celtic Manor for the Powerplay tomorrow.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 am

Actually, it's a bit stuttery but I can watch. Result!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon May 30, 2011 3:07 am

Looks like a first top ten for years for Monty, and will probably move him up 200 places in the rankings if my rough calculations are correct.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon May 30, 2011 3:22 am

Heading for a grand slam finish here. Westy's gone wide with his second, and thrown his chip back long. Difficult two putts from there. Big oppertunity for Luke.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon May 30, 2011 5:32 am

Great to see luke become only the third english number one. But that wedge of westys shows more is needed on the 18th green. Should never have gone that far left on the spin back. Harsh.

That said both of them now look like the real deal for majors. I think an english tussle for the one two spots could be on the cards for a fair while.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon May 30, 2011 5:41 am

I was watching the BBC coverage and listening to Peter Alliss' commentary and I have to agreee with his views of how the players played the 18th. I have to agree with his view - he said that the players should tee it low, get their feet in the right position and hit a driver and slide it around the corner with a fade. Not many players did this. Was this because the risk was too great in going for the green in two, or they can't hit the shot? (In passing he said that he didn't like the way the green was set up, thought the ditch in front of the green should be filled in).

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon May 30, 2011 5:47 am

Did you hear him on westwoods shot on 15 though?

On landing he said thats too high to catch the bank. It rolled down to three feet. Doddery old fool. Glue factory time!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 am

Yes, and it wasn't the only time. I do wonder if he actually goes out and looks at the course sometimes, or does he rely on Ken Browns' little pieces to camera he does about the holes?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon May 30, 2011 6:29 am

Yes, and it wasn't the only time. I do wonder if he actually goes out and looks at the course sometimes, or does he rely on Ken Browns' little pieces to camera he does about the holes?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon May 30, 2011 7:29 am

I've just got back from Wentworth (via the pub for a swift couple of much needed golden throat charmers)

First time I've ever been to Wentworth though I only live about 30 minutes away and it was a great day.

Got there about 10:30 and walked up and down the first 6 or 7 holes watching some of the earlier starters. Missed Kaymer but saw Poults, Monty, Rory and others who I've already forgotten, go through the early holes.

Watched Monty and Rhys Davies for a couple of holes. Monty very chatty and light hearted - Davies sank a couple of long putts and Monty said he was the Barca of the putting green - then held up his own putter and said he was Blackpool.

By the time we reched the 8th we turned around and walk back along the course watching the later groups come through until we watched LW and Luke's groups come through the 3rd green.

After that followed the last 3 or 4 groups by skipping a couple of holes then watching them come through and leap-frogging again.

Highlight of the day was Lee's shot to the green on 15 when he played his 2nd shot (after getting a drop from the path) - that was about 5 yards away from where I was watching. He showed great emotion there urging the ball on as he hit it and then shouting at it as it fed down from the right of the green.

Of all the players I watched he interacted best with the crowd.

One thing that surprised me was that an awful lot of the players were smaller than I expected! Big Ernie was ... well ... big Ernie but guys like Casey and Fisher weren't the bug strapping lads that I expected (though Casey really does have forearms like Popeye). Even Shane Lowry wasn't as large as I'd been led to expect from reading here and BBC.

Simon Dyson was the biggest surprise - he could have a career as a steeplechase jockey if his golfing mojo ever leaves him!

Westwood, despite looking trimmer recently on TV, is still a big old unit - though he didn't look overweight - just a big strong boy. Luke and Matteo were great to watch though and Luke's putting is even better "in the flesh" than on TV.

Huge crowds around the 18th and I wouldn't have been able to get a view of anything so watched the final two groups (and playoff) come through 18 on the big screen behind the 18th complex.

Fabulous day - can't believe I've never been before when the place is so damned close to me!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon May 30, 2011 7:37 am

Davie

I went on Friday, been on the last day for the past couple of years. Enjoyed a 'pre cut' day as you get to see everyone and also slightly smaller crowds, also able to get really close up if you follow some of the lesser groups.

See you up there next year for a 'throat charmer' thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Davie;
Simon Dyson grandfather WAS a jockey. And you know all about his Uncle Terry?
Maybe not, forget you're just a youngster . . . .

Glad you had a good day; these guys really ARE good! Will be seeing some of them myself in a few weeks, tho maybe not many Europeans; Harrington, Poulter and Rose I think, at Hartford.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon May 30, 2011 6:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Davie;
Simon Dyson grandfather WAS a jockey. And you know all about his Uncle Terry?
Maybe not, forget you're just a youngster . . . .

Well hell I never knew that! I can certainly imagine it though.

TV plays such strange tricks...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue May 31, 2011 8:36 am

Talking of the BMW . . .

Did you see me at 1055 on Thursday?

Stood next to Quiros as he played his wonder-wedge from the heather on the left side of the 11th, donning cargo pant shorts and an England cricket sweater?

No? Don't worry, just PM me and I'll send you a DVD.

Whistle

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3