The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roman Gonzalez: Top 5 P4P?

4 posters

Go down

Roman Gonzalez: Top 5 P4P? Empty Roman Gonzalez: Top 5 P4P?

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 05 Sep 2014, 2:39 pm

Roman has just stopped Akira Yaegashi in a high quality entertaining bout. He is now 40 - 0 (33), a 3 weight world champ and has fought the best operators in his divisions.

Does this warrant him a high P4P ranking even though he fights in the less known lower weight division?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Roman Gonzalez: Top 5 P4P? Empty Re: Roman Gonzalez: Top 5 P4P?

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Sep 2014, 2:48 pm

Well with Ioka losing a few months back and this win over Yaegashi (will be checking the fight out tonight as it's one I've been really looking forward to, even though I know the result now!) I think Gonzalez is definitely the premier 'little man' in the sport right now. He was probably about number 12-ish for me beforehand and I think this win cements his place inside the top ten currently.

Not sure about top five as it's always a little tricky to properly guage the quality of talent down at the bottom of the weight scale. So many fighters separated by so few lbs which makes it fair to question just how meritorious cleaning out a weight class or winning titles in 2 / 3 of them is. But even if they're not the same class as some of their bigger counterparts, there are still some very good operators down there and Gonzalez has been beating every one put in front of him, usually in style.

I'd have him about 8/9-ish as things stand. I still think Floyd, Rigondeaux, Ward and Pacquiao are locks for the top four spots but Gonzalez has put himself in the mix for the chasing pack behind them.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 05 Sep 2014, 3:06 pm

He's also the new lineal flyweight champion. Big fan of Gonzalez -- real action fighter.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 05 Sep 2014, 3:12 pm

Sorry Chris my bad. But you probably figured he'd won anyway with the title of the article Wink

I had Yaegashi edging Ioka, so this kinds of put into prespective how good Gonzalez is.

Gonzalez won TKO 9 but he seem to have some trouble with Yaegashi's hand speed early on but figured him out and probably could have had him out of there in 3. Yaegashi rallied in round 5 and looked like he went for broke in that round as Gonzalez then began to methodically break him down. Yaegashi has a hell of a chin.

On the undercard Inoue stopped Samartlek and Ryo Murata won UD10 over Adrian Luna Flores(?)

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:54 pm

I personally thought it was a tremendous fight. Gonzalez went in as favourite but was the 'away' fighter.

The superior arsenal with the P4P rated Roman Gonzalez but the defending champ showed plenty of balls; to fireback when others may have wilted. Even when the end looked close, for the tired and battered champion - he chose to make a stand and fire, for all he could muster but it wasn't enough.

Gonzalez is relentless and his uppercuts, in combo, were mightily impressive. Really enjoyable performance and contest by both men.

Top 5? I can't see no reason why he isn't. Tremendous fighter.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 09 Sep 2014, 10:25 am

I think the same Rob, I feel he's got a better resume then GGG who is meant to be the dogs nutsack.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down