The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons secure Half Back pair

4 posters

Go down

Dragons secure Half Back pair Empty Dragons secure Half Back pair

Post by Adam D Wed 25 May 2011, 10:02 am

From the official website:

Dragons half backs James Leadbeater and Steffan Jones have signed contracts with the region, securing their services for 1 and 2 years respectively.

Jones (20) made his name last season in the Premiership at fly half for Cross Keys with his boot securing over 300 points for the Keys. But it was his first start for the Dragons against the Blues where he opened his regional account out of position at fullback with a try after just 7 minutes that he really burst onto the regional stage.

Scrum half Leadbeater (22) picked up 5 appearances for the Dragons last season and has acquitted himself well in several high-pressure matches.

“We’re delighted to have Steffan on board for another 2 years,” said Dragons Director of Rugby Robert Beale. “He has shown how talented he is and we are looking forward to seeing him develop further with us.

“James is another regional talent who we believe has a bright future in regional rugby. It is again indicative of the direction the region is taking that we are concentrating on developing local youngsters as we see them as being key to the future of rugby at the Dragons.”

link - http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=17313&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Good signings?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Dragons secure Half Back pair Empty Re: Dragons secure Half Back pair

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 11:00 am

Good news this. There's been some rumours about Stefan Jones such as Ospreys were sniffing around and that Jones wasn't happy with his initial offer off the Dragons.

Leadbetter will probably still be a bit part player behind the two Evans' and maybe this Bedford fella.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 25 May 2011, 12:37 pm

I agree it's a good signing but I don't like the sound of the rumors with him not wanting the Dragons initial offer. Surely the young lad must prove himself before making such contractual demands. I mean he is only an academy player. I hope he gets some more game time at the Dragons so we can see if his potential develops.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 12:53 pm

I don't think there is anything in the contract story. I think there was an article a couple of days later in the Argus that basically rubbished it.

I'm just relieved it's sorted anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 25 May 2011, 4:15 pm

Fair enough RR.
I was eluding to rumors I'd read on other forums but like you say there's probably nothing in it.

Hopefully the lad can kick on and get a good season going. Glad the ospreys didn't pinch him!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 May 2011, 10:53 pm

I dont see why the Ospreys wouldn't be interested in Jones, he looks a great attacking Full Back and we do have a vacancy for one.
Secondly every player has a right to secure the best deal he possibly can like anyone else in paid employment. He clearly looks an exciting prospect, a good goal kicker, with running ability, and vision, not to mention a certain amount of self confidence and cheekiness. However I'm sure Edwards will do well with him, clearly Edwards like his teams to attack from the back line.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sat 28 May 2011, 12:34 pm

This is excellent news for all Dragons fans, two quality players to take the region forwards.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down