The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New England Kit

+14
MrsP
LordDowlais
Bathman_in_London
Sin é
TrailApe
Scrumpy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
sirtidychris
Adam D
yappysnap
Taylorman
Exiledinborders
lostinwales
Irish Londoner
18 posters

Go down

New England Kit Empty New England Kit

Post by Irish Londoner Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:39 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/17/rfu-attacked-disrespectful-victoria-cross-england-kit

Personally I'm quite shocked that England have been so off handed with this, however well intentioned. The VC is the highest award for bravery across the UK and the Commonwealth and to appropriate such a potent symbol for England only is rather offensive and like something from the last century when "England" and "the Empire" meant the same thing.

Also as a more general note, I don't like the idea of rugby taking on military symbolism.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

New England Kit Empty Re: New England Kit

Post by lostinwales Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/17/rfu-attacked-disrespectful-victoria-cross-england-kit

Personally I'm quite shocked that England have been so off handed with this, however well intentioned. The VC is the highest award for bravery across the UK and the Commonwealth and to appropriate such a potent symbol for England only is rather offensive and like something from the last century when "England" and "the Empire" meant the same thing.

Also as a more general note, I don't like the idea of rugby taking on military symbolism.

lets just be glad they didnt go the Columbian cyclist route....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/17/rfu-attacked-disrespectful-victoria-cross-england-kit

Are you sure shirt designers did not just put crosses on shirts that coincidentally look like VCs?

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Companies need to gain permission and advice before appropriating cultural icons/symbols for frivolous activities such as sport. I think it is pretty naive that they didn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:34 am

ebop wrote:Companies need to gain permission and advice before appropriating cultural icons/symbols for frivolous activities such as sport. I think it is pretty naive that they didn't.

You mean like National using Eminem...how dare they ...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:49 am

Taylorman wrote:
ebop wrote:Companies need to gain permission and advice before appropriating cultural icons/symbols for frivolous activities such as sport. I think it is pretty naive that they didn't.

You mean like National using Eminem...how dare they ...

Nah, one is culture hijacking, the other is poor taste in music.

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:19 am

And there was me wondering why they had the German Iron Cross on their kit...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 am

yappysnap wrote:And there was me wondering why they had the German Iron Cross on their kit...

Of course it's a tip of the hat to the Royal Family Very Happy

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

You ought to see the crosses that the Germans put on their kit Shocked

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am

They mess this up every year....for once i was pleased with the colour and style of the jerseys but they managed to upset the entire military with a wee cross well done. At least its not bright purple, black, crimson hooped etc etc.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 am

lostinwales wrote:

lets just be glad they didnt go the Columbian cyclist route....

clap Superb, lost Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 am

Will 'The Victoria Cross Trust' also be looking to get some money from Neath RFC also?

At the end of the day 'The Victoria Cross Trust' has only been around a short time and its latest account info is 110 days overdue, doesn't sound like a very serious charity imo and if I'm not mistaken they don't own the rights to the cross symbol!

The RFU have done nothing wrong imo, apart from putting that top with blue shorts!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:10 pm

If it's coincidental and just looks like the Victoria Cross - well ok that particular shape of cross has been around for centuries, but if they are purposely 'nicking' the VC then they want their arses kicked.

The VC embraces all of the Commonwealth and is not just about one particular member of that organisation.

Of course it's not like the RFU would charge ahead on a project without consulting other interested parties is it?
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Will 'The Victoria Cross Trust' also be looking to get some money from Neath RFC also?

At the end of the day 'The Victoria Cross Trust' has only been around a short time and its latest account info is 110 days overdue, doesn't sound like a very serious charity imo and if I'm not mistaken they don't own the rights to the cross symbol!

The RFU have done nothing wrong imo, apart from putting that top with blue shorts!

Typical England - appropriating a symbol that also belongs to most of their competitors! Its interesting that only one England Rugby player has won the Victoria Cross - Ireland has two rugby internationals who won it (Tom Crean Dublin & Robert Johnson Donegal).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Sin é wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Will 'The Victoria Cross Trust' also be looking to get some money from Neath RFC also?

Typical England - appropriating a symbol that also belongs to most of their competitors! Its interesting that only one England Rugby player has won the Victoria Cross - Ireland has two rugby internationals who won it (Tom Crean Dublin & Robert Johnson Donegal).

But to have won the VC surely they would have to have been 'playing' for GB at the time?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Sin é wrote:

Actually 3, Frederick Harvey too.

While I wasn't going to buy a shirt, iron cross or not, I do think it is very odd how people always make a link with war and rugby. 'In the heat of the battle', 'a man you want beside you in a fight' etc. Its not war, its not serious, its just a bunch of big blokes running around a field, not life or death!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Sin é wrote:

But to have won the VC surely they would have to have been 'playing' for GB at the time?

Not sure what difference who they were playing for then, but England have appropirated a symbol that doesn't belong to them. By the way, they were not 'playing' for GB - Crean was a doctor in the Boer War.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Actually 3, Frederick Harvey too.

While I wasn't going to buy a shirt, iron cross or not, I do think it is very odd how people always make a link with war and rugby. 'In the heat of the battle', 'a man you want beside you in a fight' etc. Its not war, its not serious, its just a bunch of big blokes running around a field, not life or death!

Yes, you are right about Harvey. He was in the Canadian Army.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:14 pm

I like the fact that it is red, England always wanted to be Wales when it came to rugby, they need to get better players first though.

Run

Last edited by LordDowlais on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_cross

That symbol has many uses and meanings.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:38 pm

It's not a Maltese Cross - it's a Cross pattée.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Maybe if some of the cut from the overprice jersey went to the charities.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:07 pm

TrailApe wrote:It's not a Maltese Cross - it's a Cross pattée.

Possibly. But when did this charity become sole owners of this symbol? How is this disrespecting those who have been awarded the VC?

This symbol appears on lots of things from rugby shirts to wallpaper and many more besides. Do we all now have to ask this charity if it is okay to use a symbol which is the same shape as the VC?

I would doubt if the brave men and women who earned this honnor would want that, would they?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 pm

MrsP wrote:
TrailApe wrote:It's not a Maltese Cross - it's a Cross pattée.

Possibly. But when did this charity become sole owners of this symbol? How is this disrespecting those who have been awarded the VC?

This symbol appears on lots of things from rugby shirts to wallpaper and many more besides. Do we all now have to ask this charity if it is okay to use a symbol which is the same shape as the VC?

I would doubt if the brave men and women who earned this honnor would want that, would they?

I was going to ask the very same thing. This seems as I glance through it more as an affront to someone's trademark profit rights than it is considered a slur on dead soldiers or the army. And if it is such then I think the offence is more on the side of the charity who would try to drive an emotional reaction from what seems to be a commerical battle.

Where did these organisations get ownership of a British National Military Award? Surely, the Award/and images of belongs to the State and therefore the citzens as a whole?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:01 am

From my perspective, I don't give a hoot about some charity who have decided to 'trademark' the concept of the VC, what I do feel strongly about is one particular national side (in this case England) trying to buy into all of the honour and sacrifice that this particular award stands for.

In my opinion it's a bit tacky.

What has the English RFU got to do with Bhanbhagta Gurung? - what argument are they employing to lay claim (by association) to the honour he was awarded?

I'm English myself but I think the RFU have dropped a clanger here. It seems to be part of the same short sighteness (arrogance) to commit to the Premiership sides suspending operations during the RWC without consulting them and a similair short sightedness (or ignorance) when the decided to name the 'A' side of a multi-cultural society after an ancient tribe that only occupied a small part of what is now England.

Arrogance, ignorance, niavety, take your pick.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:04 pm

TrailApe wrote:From my perspective, I don't give a hoot about some charity who have decided to 'trademark' the concept of the VC, what I do feel strongly about is one particular national side (in this case England) trying to buy into all of the honour and sacrifice that this particular award stands for.

What has the English RFU got to do with Bhanbhagta Gurung? - what argument are they employing to lay claim (by association) to the honour he was awarded?

I'm English myself but I think the RFU have dropped a clanger here. It seems to be part of the same short sighteness (arrogance) to commit to the Premiership sides suspending operations during the RWC without consulting them and a similair short sightedness (or ignorance) when the decided to name the 'A' side of a multi-cultural society after an ancient tribe that only occupied a small part of what is now England.

This X 1000

Mods - can we get a "recommend" button on the site please?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:
TrailApe wrote:From my perspective, I don't give a hoot about some charity who have decided to 'trademark' the concept of the VC, what I do feel strongly about is one particular national side (in this case England) trying to buy into all of the honour and sacrifice that this particular award stands for.

This X 1000

Mods - can we get a "recommend" button on the site please?
Well, I guess you can know what I thought when I saw the jersey.  Really stupid, in the best case.  But more likely an idea suggested by an advertising guy who hasn't a clue - a total absence of mind.  Not offended but sometimes I just have to wonder what goes through peoples minds......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:07 pm

New England Kit Classic-ss-front1-72dpi-rgb

Did England ever wear this kit in a game?

BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 pm

What is that??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down