The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record

5 posters

Go down

Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record Empty Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Sep 2014, 7:15 am

Marciano's record is a heavyweight record - a heavyweight champion's record.

Here are some records he could aim for:

Ruben Olivares 61-0
Willie Pep 62-0 (after his first loss to Angott, he then went unbeaten in 73)
Julio Cesar Chavez 87-0
Jimmy Wilde 93-0-2
Niño Benvenuti 65-0
Carlos Zarate 52-0

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record Empty Re: Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 7:43 am

This is what has always got me marciano's record its only the record for the HW division and yet very few seem to know this and think it is the longest unbeaten record in the whole of boxing

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record Empty Re: Mayweather Can't Beat Marciano's Record

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:09 am

However much you dislike him and it seems intense...He has had a wonderful career......A little credit wouldn't go amiss..

Those guys didn't finish unbeaten Mate as you well know..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Sep 2014, 9:32 am

He's compiled the most successful career of all time in my book.

Wonderfully talented fighter. Terribly overrated and tedious to watch (and a piece of trash as a man -- not that it matters).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 9:53 am

That's better....No one likes the Man......But I love to watch a Boxing genius in action

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

wheelchair1991 wrote:This is what has always got me marciano's record its only the record for the HW division and yet very few seem to know this and think it is the longest unbeaten record in the whole of boxing
No, whenever I see it discussed it's to do with him retiring with the unbeaten record - something Mayweather may have an opportunity to do.

None of those others did.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:20 am

Absolutely....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:24 am

Scottrf wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:This is what has always got me marciano's record its only the record for the HW division and yet very few seem to know this and think it is the longest unbeaten record in the whole of boxing
No, whenever I see it discussed it's to do with him retiring with the unbeaten record - something Mayweather may have an opportunity to do.

None of those others did.

None of them had the opportunity to pick and choose their fights either.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:26 am

No, Chavez only faced the best Mexican roadsweepers Cool

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:30 am

Haz is overly sentimental......Solomon showed The ring magazine the contract Robinson reneged on for Turpin 3.. Bought the edition at a car boot I was dragged to...It has Walcott- Charles robbery on the front..

Yep...Picking and choosing never happened in the old days...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:48 am

I wouldn't call it sentimentality. I just like to see great fighters take on their biggest rivals -- test themselves.

Look at Hopkins. While I maintain Hagler would have ran clean through him, taking on Kovalev at his age can only be applauded (though I'd be a lot easier about it if there was more stringent testing protocol -- not sure he's ever been VADA'd for instance).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:24 am

There is truth in your points...But Mayweather rematched Castillo....Where was Frankie Randall's 3rd fight after beating Chavez twice....

Always gone on Mate....and If the old fighters desperately trying to make a living back then were around now...They'd be cherrypicking..

Because It was about feeding your loved ones....Glory was a secondary consideration...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:43 am

Perhaps. Robinson and Leonard liked to control negotiations but Leonard was quoted recently as saying he couldn't imagine not having faced Hearns and Duran -- that was the reason he fought.

Also, ifs and maybes don't take away from the fact they fought their great rivals -- regardless whether they were coerced into it or not.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:56 am

What the record for the most fights undefeated, a former world champion, and permanently retired? Lopez was 51 does anyone beat that?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 12:04 pm

hazharrison wrote:Perhaps. Robinson and Leonard liked to control negotiations but Leonard was quoted recently as saying he couldn't imagine not having faced Hearns and Duran -- that was the reason he fought.

Also, ifs and maybes don't take away from the fact they fought their great rivals -- regardless whether they were coerced into it or not.

I'm not the one who gives F**k...The only reason you posted that Fischer list was because Floyd wasn't in it....and this article is another cry baby one like the "Maidana shows Floyd isn't Top 10" classic..

How many 37 yr olds in the past were the best fighters in the sport..

We get it you don't like him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Perhaps. Robinson and Leonard liked to control negotiations but Leonard was quoted recently as saying he couldn't imagine not having faced Hearns and Duran -- that was the reason he fought.

I'm not the one who gives  F**k...The only reason you posted that Fischer list was because Floyd wasn't in it....and this article is another cry baby one like the "Maidana shows Floyd isn't Top 10" classic..

How many 37 yr olds in the past were the best fighters in the sport..

We get it you don't like him..

Cry baby? I really couldn't care less whether you think Floyd's the Steve Davis of boxing. It generated some pretty good debate, I feel.

Pretty relevant considering he's all over the news feeds.

And I don't think he's the best fighter in the world any more. He's been going off for a while.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down