The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers

+8
sportform
Bull
mystiroakey
Trebs
dyrewolfe
GSC
banbrotam
Fernando
12 posters

Go down

Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers  Empty Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers

Post by Fernando Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:11 pm

This is a pre-warning that abuse will not be tolerated you will be put on the naughty step

The 2014 Singapore GP preview: Everything you need to know about this weekend's race!

F1 heads under the lights for the original night race on the calendar around the streets of Marina Bay.

So read on below as Sky Sports Online provides your one-stop shop for everything you need to know about the grand prix weekend.

The 2014 Singapore GP in a nutshell

Track: Marina Bay Street Circuit. Temporary Circuit.

Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday (8pm local).

Laps: 61.

Track length: 5.065 km.

Tyre allocation: Soft (yellow) and supersoft (red).

DRS Zones: Two with separate detection points – pit straight and between Turns Five and Seven.

Driver steward: Alan Jones.

Lap record: Sebastian Vettel - 1:48.574 (Red Bull; 2013).

2013 pole: Sebastian Vettel - 1:42.841 (Red Bull).

Form guide

Sebastian Vettel is the most successful driver at the Singapore GP after taking victory on F1’s last three visits to the Marina Bay. Fernando Alonso is the only other multiple winner of the race.

2013 result: 1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 3. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus); 4. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 5. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 6. Felipe Massa (Ferrari); 7. Jenson Button (McLaren); 8. Sergio Perez (McLaren); 9. Nico Hulkenberg (Sauber); 10. Adrian Sutil (Force India).

Last five winners in Singapore: 2013: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2012: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2011: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2010: Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 2009: Lewis Hamilton (McLaren).

Tyre allocation

Pirelli will bring the two softest tyres in their range – the yellow-marked soft and the red-banded supersoft – to Singapore this weekend.

The Italian firm say that due to the race being held at night and the venue being a street circuit, these tyres “will provide maximum mechanical grip”.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers  Empty Re: Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers

Post by banbrotam Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:29 am

I see the 'radio ban' has been amended

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29276492

I hear Massa is still not happy though, I mean how's he going to cope when he can't have any advice on cornering? Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers  Empty Re: Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers

Post by GSC Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:36 am

They'll have to get a sign out telling him Valteri is faster
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 19 Sep 2014, 12:53 pm

Seems a lot more reasonable...and its not going to be implemented until next season.

banbrotam wrote:
I hear Massa is still not happy though, I mean how's he going to cope when he can't have any advice on cornering?

I feel sorry for Rosberg too. Wink

GSC wrote:
They'll have to get a sign out telling him Valteri is faster.

Don't think even Massa needs a sign to tell him that. Poor old Felipe - its one thing being #2 to someone like Alonso, but to be out-driven by a rookie...

Seriously though, I agree drivers should be left to do the actual driving themselves. I just wasn't happy at the prospect of large numbers of breakdowns / retirements because they couldn't get the help they needed to sort out mechanical / electrical issues.

A few interesting tidbits from 1st practice:

Alonso fastest (Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 3rd)
Vettel was 4th but suffered (another) engine failure
Kimi's brakes catch fire as he pulls into the pits

Just my 2 cents here but Singapore is a horrible-looking circuit (when lit up, reminds me of a crooked bow tie). Lots of short straights and 90-degree turns. If the hot weather wasn't already enough of a problem, the constant hard braking could lead to issues for a few drivers.

Ultimate speed presumably not the main factor here, so it could be a chance for Alonso and Ricciardo to get on the podium, if the Mercedes-engined cars have any issues.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 19 Sep 2014, 12:57 pm

To be honest, I felt the mass retirements scaremongering was on par with those predicting about 5 cars would finish the Australian GP.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:00 pm

I worry for the 3 car rule when RB can only get 1 car working at a time.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:52 pm

GSC wrote:
To be honest, I felt the mass retirements scaremongering was on par with those predicting about 5 cars would finish the Australian GP..

I don't remember reading anything about mass retirements, although there were some obvious concerns about how reliable they'd be. Most of the attention seemed to be focused on the fact the Renault and Ferrari units were significantly weaker than the Mercedes.

GSC wrote:
I worry for the 3 car rule when RB can only get 1 car working at a time..

Heh. This was another one of Barmy Bernie's ideas, wasn't it? Kinda flies in the face of the sport's efforts to make F1 more open and less elitist (not that Marussia and Caterham are really making a case for new teams at the moment).

Also makes entering and running a team a lot more expensive, having a 3rd car and driver. Can't see the teams supporting this tbh.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

Charlie has got bored stewarding and taken a new career into photobombing

Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers  _77698555_ffb9c853-574d-4dda-8a28-8043b7f31c0c

#Motorboating

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:40 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Just my 2 cents here but Singapore is a horrible-looking circuit (when lit up, reminds me of a crooked bow tie). Lots of short straights and 90-degree turns. If the hot weather wasn't already enough of a problem, the constant hard braking could lead to issues for a few drivers.

I played it on PS3 a couple of years back (don't laugh everyone realise it's not quite the same) and I did find the hardest circuit to get correct. And I wasn't in 90 degree heat

Or in a real F1 car picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

banbrotam wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Just my 2 cents here but Singapore is a horrible-looking circuit (when lit up, reminds me of a crooked bow tie). Lots of short straights and 90-degree turns. If the hot weather wasn't already enough of a problem, the constant hard braking could lead to issues for a few drivers.

I played it on PS3 a couple of years back (don't laugh everyone  realise it's not quite the same) and I did find the hardest circuit to get correct. And I wasn't in 90 degree heat

Or in a real F1 car picard
Yeah I can't play that circuit without barriering it often

Monacos worse though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm

To the great surprise of nobody, Maldonado is in the wall
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:26 pm

GSC wrote:To the great surprise of nobody, Maldonado is in the wall

Damn! You beat me to it! Laugh

Mercedes just Tweeted an interesting factoid. Apparently every Singapore GP has featured a Safety Car at some point. Wonder if the trend will continue this year?

Don't imagine there will be much overtaking, so quali will be critical.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Sat 20 Sep 2014, 11:32 am

The race here tends to be incredibly boring, let's hope this year something happens. Only thing to hope for is the safety car.

I would like to see Alonso have a good qualifying session, seems like a possibility this race.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Sep 2014, 12:00 pm

I think the overtaking & squabbles at the DRS zone & in sector two have been pretty good in previous seasons with some big incidents, e.g Schumacher. Also, there has been different strategies between two & three stops, with drivers struggling towards the end & some charging through. There is always a safety car, due to the nature of the track too. I agree, whoever leads, usually should win, but the fighting throughout the field is pretty decent, not boring.

Looking forward to this Q session.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Sep 2014, 12:01 pm

Ferrari and RB looks fast... Sweet. We could be on for something that resembles more than a 2 car race.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Sep 2014, 3:03 pm

Rosberg screams "damm it"

Hamilton snatches pole with what has to be said not a perfect lap. Locked up on the first corner..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 20 Sep 2014, 3:04 pm

How great is F1? Rolling Eyes Boring.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Sep 2014, 3:44 pm

Great pole for Lewis, even though he's been way off his best. Shame for Kimi, looked liked the old Iceman was back. Should be a great race tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 21 Sep 2014, 1:00 pm

Rosberg has a steering wheel problem. It is only going to steer into Hamilton's car.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 21 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

But wait a second I thought the German team only wanted the German driver to win?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 21 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

Olly wrote:But wait a second I thought the German team only wanted the German driver to win?
Hamilton hasn't finished this race yet.

I wonder if Mercedes have tried changing the batteries on Rosberg's car? idea
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 21 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

Looks like the overrated Lewis Hamilton is on his way to fluke his second world drivers championship.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 21 Sep 2014, 3:20 pm

Safety car and strategies made it somewhat interesting, but an obvious result once Rosbergs car stopped on the grid
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 21 Sep 2014, 3:27 pm

3pts in it now. Decent run in.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 21 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

Excellent drive from Sebastian Vettel. The outgoing quadruple world champion finally starting to rediscover some form. Still tipping him to beat Ricciardo down the stretch. 

Hamilton has mentally broken Rosberg now. Don't see Rosberg having the heart to come back from this setback.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:50 pm

Gerry anything can happen.

Hamilton's car could blow up again , his breaks could fail, rosberg could again take him out and not retire himself..etcetc

The reliability of Mercedes is making this contest. Yes on the plus side if there were no issues Hamilton would be 100 pts ahead, so at least its still exiting I suppose.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:57 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Looks like the overrated Lewis Hamilton is on his way to fluke his second world drivers championship.

More ridiculous posts. Behind Ricciardo, Hamilton has been a star performer this year, driving quite brilliantly at times, given numerous issues. Rosberg fluked Australia & was gifted Germany, thanks to issues on Hamilton's side in qualifying. Nothing fluked about seven race wins to Rosbergs four, he's outdriven Rosberg & that can't be even questioned.

As for the race, great result for Lewis. Shame about us being denied the fight between the Mercedes pair but that's Motorsport & why reliability will play a huge outcome in who lands the title. Nothing is decided as of yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 21 Sep 2014, 7:12 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Gerry anything can happen.

Hamilton's car could blow up again , his breaks could fail, rosberg could again take him out and not retire himself..etcetc

The reliability of Mercedes is making this contest. Yes on the plus side if there were no issues Hamilton would be 100 pts ahead, so at least its still exiting I suppose.
Whilst I agree anything can happen, rosberg had the body language of a man who's race is run.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 21 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

John wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:Looks like the overrated Lewis Hamilton is on his way to fluke his second world drivers championship.

More ridiculous posts. Behind Ricciardo, Hamilton has been a star performer this year, driving quite brilliantly at times, given numerous issues. Rosberg fluked Australia & was gifted Germany, thanks to issues on Hamilton's side in qualifying. Nothing fluked about seven race wins to Rosbergs four, he's outdriven Rosberg & that can't be even questioned.

As for the race, great result for Lewis. Shame about us being denied the fight between the Mercedes pair but that's Motorsport & why reliability will play a huge outcome in who lands the title. Nothing is decided as of yet.
Hold on. Hamilton has the best car and has won the most races. So he's a superstar. Yet when Vettel did the same, he's lucky. 

Hamilton has had the best car three times, 2007, 2008 and 2014. Yet he lacks Vettel's ruthless streak.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 21 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29303579

This race really needs shortened. Its already the toughest conditions before each race goes up to the 2 hour limit.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:32 am

I'm slightly surprised RB didn't order Vettel to let Ricciardo through yesterday. With the double points at the end of the season, it would have kept him a little closer to the Mercs in the title fight. Surely RB have to tell Vettel to act as Number 2 from here on in?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:41 am

Not sure three points will make much difference to be honest. He looks close but really isn't in my opinion, he'd need incredible luck & bith Mercedes to DNF in Abu Dhabi.

I thought the story of Magnussen being burnt would be exaggerated by the media. Just got & sweaty......what do you expect? Okay, his drink might be warm but this is to be expected. It was Magnussen/Kyvat that were struggling & that doesn't surprise me. These young drivers are no way as physically prepared as a Button or Alonso type. They need to be elite athletes, Magnussen/Kyvat are still developing & learning what is required to perform at the elite level.

Agree, the race needs to lose five or six laps but that's about it, it really should be a test of endurance for driver & machinery.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:42 am

I agree with the test of endurance, but its the same lap time as Spa and 20 laps longer in very hot and humid conditions.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:18 am

Born Slippy wrote:I'm slightly surprised RB didn't order Vettel to let Ricciardo through yesterday. With the double points at the end of the season, it would have kept him a little closer to the Mercs in the title fight. Surely RB have to tell Vettel to act as Number 2 from here on in?

Good luck telling the four time reigning world champion to be Ricciardo's number 2, when Vettel still has a mathematical chance of winning the title...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Mon 22 Sep 2014, 11:26 am

LiamB wrote:

I thought the story of Magnussen being burnt would be exaggerated by the media. Just got & sweaty......what do you expect? Okay, his drink might be warm but this is to be expected. It was Magnussen/Kyvat that were struggling & that doesn't surprise me. These young drivers are no way as physically prepared as a Button or Alonso type. They need to be elite athletes, Magnussen/Kyvat are still developing & learning what is required to perform at the elite level.
I guess you didn't watch the notebook?
Kyvat's drink failed on the lap to the grid and couldn't get it fixed and Magnussen had to go to the doctors because he had burns on his back and above his arse and his drink was too hot to drink.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 11:50 am

Yeah, I watch the notebook but Kravitz loves to dramatise a story. Magnussen post-race tweeted to say that reports that he had had burns and had medical treatment "were a bit exaggerated - I was just hot and sweaty".

Kyvat's drink did break & I was harsh on him but you do get the sense, these young drivers are thrown in from lower formula's & aren't able to cope with the demands of racing at such tracks with these conditions. GP2 didn't race here, so none of those drivers are getting the experience & understanding of two hours in these conditions. To add to this, did you see the video of Button vs the Brownlee brothers in the physical testing? Button just showcases the amount of training needed to succeed at this level & in many areas was actually superior to that of the best triathlon brothers in the world. Astonishing stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

Water bottle failure is in effect like any other failure. If you need fresh cool water . do it at the pits. Say it takes 10 secs. So what

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Water bottle failure is in effect like any other failure. If you need fresh cool water . do it at the pits. Say it takes 10 secs. So what

Well, given the average pit stop takes 2 or 3 seconds now (under 2 seconds for the best teams) 10 seconds can mean losing several places. Only takes slightly longer to change a front wing.

And thats assuming your guess is correct. If drinks bottles can get that hot, it suggests they're packaged away inside the car, somewhere near the ERS or something. Possibly difficult to change quickly/easily?

Surprisingly interesting race, for a street circuit - still got the 100% Safety Car record.

Felt sorry for Rosberg - I never like to see any driver's race ruined like that. Made worse as there was a sense of impending failure even before he got to the grid. Hamilton did everything he could, drove a flawless race and coped with the SC to secure maximum points. Is it just me or is he a lot more chatty and nervous-sounding just lately? He seems to be on the radio a lot more than he was in his early career.

Good result for Red Bull - best finish of the season for Vettel and another solid performance from Ricciardo. Apparently both drivers suffered ERS issues throughout the race (wasn't charging properly or something) so quite impressive.

Another solid drive by Alonso - a bit naughty with his banzai 1st corner, but at least he gave Vettel the place back straight away. If the rumours are true Ferrari will be screwed without him, unless they can develop a decent car. Kimi was looking good for a better finish than he managed but his tyres seemed to give up towards the end.

Decent race by Massa and a respectable 5th place. Felt Bottas was hard done by with his tyre strategy - he as looking good for 6th until his tyres completely fell away in the closing laps, ending up out of the points.

Impressive finish by Vergne who drove the wheels off his Toro Rosso in the closing stages, pulling off some pretty hairy overtakes on fresher tyres. You get the feeling he's looking to impress teams for next season.

Decent race for Force India with both Perez and Hulkenberg finishing in the points.

A race to forget for McLaren - Button forced to retire with car problems and Magnussen having problems of his own, only able to finish 10th.

Have to agree with whoever made the point earlier that the race needs to be a few laps shorter, now the cars are slower. Seems to have made just enough difference that the 2hr time limit can be reached if the SC is deployed (as it has been every race so far). If there had been rain they might only have managed half race distance!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:40 pm

With the length of the race, it being a street circuit and the conditions, a Safety Car is a virtual guarantee
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:46 pm

There must be a better way to keep the drivers hydrated. If it was mandatory for all. No one would be worse of. Say having a mini cooler in the car. If it wasn't mandatory no one would have it as the margins of the weight would mean the drivers wouldn't take the disadvantage.

Imagine driving at 200 mph and sipping boiling water. It would make us mortals crash..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:51 pm

To be honest, its going to lead to a situation where someone blacks out during a race. Shortening it by 10-15 laps would be a smart move.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 26 Sep 2014, 10:13 pm

Nico Rosberg's retirement from the Singapore Grand Prix was caused by a freak substance contamination creating an electronics short circuit in his Mercedes Formula 1 car

Singapore GP Thread - contains spoilers  Its-conspiracy

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Sep 2014, 10:58 pm

Mercedes statement issued regarding this, 'The error occurred during our normal pre-event servicing procedures at the factory and the substance found is used as part of our normal standard servicing procedure'.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:42 pm

Hmm. Putting my tinfoil hat on for a few moments, it does seem that Hamilton and Rosberg's issues have occurred in quite a "convenient" way to keep the title race tipping back and forth between the two drivers.

Wonder if this will continue for the remainnig races?

Its a conspiracy I tells ya! chin
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down