The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience

+3
TRUSSMAN66
ONETWOFOREVER
Valero's Conscience
7 posters

Go down

My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience Empty My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Sep 2014, 11:18 am

I've just come back from a holiday to the West Coast of America and managed to fit in visits to the Wild Card Gym in LA and the Mayweather Boxing Club in Vegas.

A few things from my trip and a couple of interesting things discussed and heard:

Wild Card

Me and a mate got there and the manager was happy for us to walk around but were not allowed to take photos inside.

Got speaking to the manager and asked him about Khan's claim about him getting the better of Manny in sparring. He quickly dismissed it saying he had never seen it himself and he's seen a lot and the only way he could imagine that happening is if Manny was purposely taking it easy.

He also said he was very confident of a Manny/Floyd fight happening next year (I still doubt this).

After 10 minutes Freddie Roach's scouse assistant came in and got chatting to us.  5 minutes into general chit chat he asked if we wanted to meet Freddie.  Obviously we said yes and went outside and he was having an interview which he interrupted to shake our hands and take a pic.  We didn't talk much but he was very approachable and friendly.

We then bought some wild card t shirts which Freddie signed.

As we were about to leave the Scouse lad (forgot his name) took us in the ground floor training room which he said wasn't for general public access where Denis Lebedev and and another champ I didn't recognise were training.

Overall a great experience and everyone there very approachable and friendly.

Mayweather Boxing Club

During a stay in Vegas me and my mate got a cab from the strip to the gym (less than 10 mins away in Chinatown).

The staff were again friendly and the gym was very busy but no one of note.  They were happy for us to sit,take photos and watch people train and spar and said Floyd Snr, Roger and Jeff Mayweather may be in in 30-45 mins.  We were pretty hanging so we were happy to delay drinking for the day and wait around.

Whilst we were waiting Joseph Agbejo and Mickey Bey came in.  Agbreko to train and Bey to see everyone after he won his world title on the Mayweather/Maidana undercard.  To be honest I didn't recognise Bey and he sat right next to me and I didn't realise until people started coming up to him!

I didn't speak to him but whilst sitting next to him I heard some interesting things.

Firstly he said he was negotiating to fight Figueroa.  The next bit is more interesting.  He got talking to the other guys about Leonard Ellerbe.

In short, Bey said the key reason Mayweather parted with Ellerbe was that Ellerbe was undercutting Mayweather's fighters which Floyd was angry about.  He said that a lot of the fighters were getting as an example 3x less than what Ellerbe was making on top of what he should rightfully get.

He was talking at length but it sounded like Ellerbe was getting greedy and was the main reason for the split.  My hotel didn't have wifi so I didn't even know about the split until he said it.

After a while waiting one of the trainers let us know Floyd Snr had arrived and should be ok for a photo.

We went out the front and he was 'spaced' out of his mind!  I have no idea what he was on but he was like a zombie and could barely answer a simple question.

We said we were from the UK and would be very grateful for a photo. He just stared blankly at us for 10 seconds then very slowly mumbled back that it was ok but looked completely out of it and uninterested.

I imagine Roger and Floyd Snr have the same social activity habits.

Overall another good experience but Floyd Snr obviously has a problem.

606v2.com disclaimer - please note that all of the above are the views of the poster and are opinions and not statements of fact. Any claims made are not made under the v2 name but are statements belonging to the poster. 606v2 has no evidence to back up the claims made in this statement.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience Empty Re: My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 22 Sep 2014, 11:43 am

To be fair to Floyd Snr he has been suffering from some ailment for a good few years now.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience Empty Re: My Wild Card & Mayweather Gym Experience

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

I admit he could have been having an off day but a friend of mine and his brother both have the same lung condition he has and as far as I'm aware it doesn't affect your brain or speech.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm

Maybe he's bored of Brits going over and mithering him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm

Rolling Eyes

Great article though, Valero, really interesing read.

Nice to see something original on here for a change.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Sep 2014, 1:27 pm

not a lot of talk on this. Sounds like a great expierence. Always took the Khan and Pacquiao comment with a pinch of salt. Maybe Pacquiao was working on defence against the fast Khan. Plus with head gear and large gloves Khan had less fear of getting chinned. Pacquiao also seems a nice guy so would think he was possibly holding back a tad as he maybe classed Khan as a friend.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 23 Sep 2014, 2:51 pm

Seems like both trips were well worth doing. I've a trip to Vegas planned for April, wouldn't have thought about showing up at mayweathers. But should be well worth trip, especially as he should have a fight in May.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 24 Sep 2014, 7:59 am

If you're in Vegas I would go Jimdig as literally 10 mins max from the strip or 20-25 min walk. They said he's normally in at 3pm when training so worth going.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:14 am

Thanks Valero definitely will. Much like you I'll be hanging, my vegas trip will be under the pretence of a stag party.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:48 am

I was in Vegas 8 nights which included, a stag do, 30th birthday and a wedding. It broke me!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by .aveyard2.0 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm

I was in vegas for the fight and wanted to check out the gym, but for one reason or another (gambling and drinking largely) it didnt happen! Good article thought
.aveyard2.0
.aveyard2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down