The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't you say it!

Go down

Don't you say it! Empty Don't you say it!

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:26 am

NZ wrapped up their third RC trophy last night with a pleasing victory. This team thrives on dry decks but part of me hopes for typical late autumn conditions in the November tour. That said, it's likely that NZ will encounter similar dry conditions in their two upcoming matches in J'Burg and Brisbane.

It's going to be mentioned. It always is. Those dreaded two words that would make a mockery of international matches: dead rubber. To me a dead rubber is a used condom. Or an eraser that's reached the end of its life. In international rugby, there is no such thing. There's always something to play for.

Take next week's match. The Bokke can't win the RC. They won't need to go for a 4-try bonus point win. They just need to bloody win the game and get Meyer his first NZ scalp. He's sick of bringing a beer to Hansen. He wants to savour the taste of victory. So expect a Cake Tin 2.0 performance. I say fantastic. NZ had oodles of possession in Wellington this year and had a poor kicking game. Too much aerial, aimless kicking. NZ were frazzled by the rush defence and the savagery at the breakdown. I hope SA bring more of that next week and let's see how NZ adapt to that.

Then Australia in Brisbane. The number three ranking and they'll be hurting not only from the Eden Park humiliation but also their inability to get a victory in Newlands after leading in the first half. Last year they set up their Autumn tour with a great attacking display in Argentina and getting a brace of tries in Dunedin. The Wallabies will want to take it a step further and get that NZ hoodoo off their backs.

It's tempting for Hansen to ring in the changes. Mealamu had a strong game last night. Coles will be back for Brisbane but maybe Hansen will want to see how Harris goes. He seemed to do alright last night so he might get more game time in the second half. Retallick took a head knock so depending on how he comes through this week, Thrush might get a start alongside Whitelock and Retallick might not even play. Fekitoa played at 13 for the Highlanders but he looks a lot more solid at 12. He'll be gutted he didn't get a try last night but he looks a lot more composed inside one. Jane pulled a hammy so I think Hansen will put Crotty in at 12 and put Fekitoa on the bench in the utility spot.

The RC may be over but there are two games coming up for NZ where they will face teams desperate to get one over their arch rivals. Standards must be kept. NZ must approach these two games as must wins and not allow their rivals to get some much needed confidence after a mixed season. It's a tough ask but that is the challenge ahead. I enjoyed the interplay from both sides last night. NZ knows they won't be handed victory on a plate with so many unforced errors in their next two games. They know what to expect. They just have to absorb what gets thrown at them and execute their own game plan.

kia kaha

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down