The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight

+17
Pedro147
kingraf
Rowley
RanjitPatel
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
spencerclarke
jimdig
Derbymanc
Soldier_Of_Fortune
djlovesyou
wheelchair1991
Gerry SA
Hammersmith harrier
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
catchweight
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight Empty Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight

Post by catchweight Sun 28 Sep 2014, 5:50 pm

Rigondeaux career suffered another set back as it was confirmed his mandatory challenger Chris Avalos has withdrawn in order to face Carl Frampton instead. Purse bids for the fight had already been agreed. Rigondeauxs manager, Gary Hyde, has become increasingly frustrated by difficulties getting his fighter a fight and the unwillingness of the other key names in the division to agree to face Rigondeaux.

Hyde plans to remedy that by demanding the WBA enforce a match with "regular" WBA title holder Scott Quigg. Rigondeaux hold the "super" WBA title. The WBA have the authority to force such matches as occured recently with Wladimir Klitschko and Aleksander Povetkin. Hyde will write to the WBA demanding they enforce a fight between Rigondeaux and Quigg. Hyde also stated that they would be willing to travel to the UK if neccessary.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight Empty Re: Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:11 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Quigg's chances.............

This guy is 34 which is ancient for a guy below 126...........Sure he'll outbox Quigg early but a quick pace who knows.......

Everyone has this idea he'll just counterpunch him to death showing him different angles....

Me I see a guy who's getting old in small fighter terms..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight Empty Re: Rigondeaux plans to force Quigg fight

Post by bellchees Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Quigg's chances.............

This guy is 34 which is ancient for a guy below 126...........Sure he'll outbox Quigg early but a quick pace who knows.......

Everyone has this idea he'll just counterpunch him to death showing him different angles....

Me I see a guy who's getting old in small fighter terms..

Most little guys when they have reached 34 have fought 30-40 times though with a lot of them going the full 12 as they carry less KO power than the bigger weights, so it's certainly possible Rigo will be considerably fresher than other fighters his age. I know he fought a lot as an amateur but I don't think that takes as much of a toll on the body.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

Over 300 amateur fights are going to take some toll on the body but all boxers age differently and i've not seen anything to suggest Rigo is a on a downward spiral, looked very fresh when he fought Agbeko.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

But your body gets old and more mature with age.. Belly............

Not as fast.....Not as able to go the wire........Stamina becomes a problem.........

It's why athletes in sport rarely succeed past 30...............Why footballers don't get sold for huge money after 30......

Body finds it harder to cope with the demands......

I'd pick Rigo but he's knocking on...........

Leonard had hardly fought for years and he looked like an old Man at 32/33 against Norris..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:31 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Over 300 amateur fights are going to take some toll on the body but all boxers age differently and i've not seen anything to suggest Rigo is a on a downward spiral, looked very fresh when he fought Agbeko.

It sounds a lot but I think the top guys have between 100-150 by their early 20's or late teens so 300-400 for a 30 year old isn't a great deal. Roy Jones had nearly 150 at 19.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:33 pm

Reflexes and stamina Belly.........

Mid to late 30s I needed longer to recover from sets in the gym...

It's called getting old............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:33 pm

Hearn will 'advise' Quigg to vacate his 'world championship' and fight Frampton instead. 

Quigg gets humilated by Rigondeaux. If Quigg was clueless against a third tier Cuban in Salinas, what's he gonna do against the Cuban King?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:34 pm

You think every Brit is crap though don't you....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You think every Brit is crap though don't you....
Depends on whether Franpton is considered british papi...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:39 pm

If Quigg struggled woth Salinas he is never ever taking this fight Eddie wont go near this

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:45 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

Certainly does old boy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Certainly does old boy..
Than that's one Brit that I rate.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:53 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Certainly does old boy..

Good answer....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:59 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

If he was from England you wouldn't rate him, it's only based on the fact that coming from Northern Ireland there's some ambiguity.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:10 pm

djlovesyou wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

If he was from England you wouldn't rate him, it's only based on the fact that coming from Northern Ireland there's some ambiguity.
Whatever gets you to sleep at night papi...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:08 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

Whatever gets you to sleep at night papi...

Oh, come on, be grateful for the attention. I've seen you grovel and beg for it on the cricket forums and nobody even bats an eyelid.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But your body gets old and more mature with age.. Belly............

Not as fast.....Not as able to go the wire........Stamina becomes a problem.........

It's why athletes in sport rarely succeed past 30...............Why footballers don't get sold for huge money after 30......

Body finds it harder to cope with the demands......

I'd pick Rigo but he's knocking on...........

Leonard had hardly fought for years and he looked like an old Man at 32/33 against Norris..

If Donaire struggled to land clean, I can't forseeth Quigg landing much leather. No way Quigg will fight Rigo, Joe would rather vacate.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:54 am

I don't get why no-one will fight Riggy, for me it looks like a win-win situation.
Lose and you've just lost to the very best that everyone is running scared from.
Win and your sitting on top of the pile with the legitimate right to call yourself the best. (get some proper ambition)

And if you lose, you can still boast that you were the one to step up to the plate while the likes of <frampton/Quigg/Santa Cruz etc) we're running scared, and that's why they won't go anywhere near you.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:57 am

Rigondeux chin can be got at, quigg has power. I only see quigg having a punchers chance, but that being a very live possibility. I think this match will come off. Quigg dropping the belt puts him back to nobody status, I think he's in a corner of bad options.

At least he can take some kudos from being the only current title holder brave enough to face rigo. I don't think a loss should be seen as that damaging either

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:21 am

Rigo seems to have this air of invincibility at the moment. I think some of the current crop of the division could have a chance due to being natural at the weight. He's been hurt before. Donaire was raising through the weights. Obviously rigo would be a big favourite but frampton, cruz and quigg are not complete gimmes.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:54 am

Quigg's 'title reign' is over then.

Not a hope, despite what Truss says (still high on his AA prediction, no doubt).

Rigo is arguably the world's single most talented boxer and has barely had a glove laid on him since he turned pro. Inactivity is his only weakness.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:48 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Quigg's 'title reign' is over then.

Not a hope, despite what Truss says (still high on his AA prediction, no doubt).

Rigo is arguably the world's single most talented boxer and has barely had a glove laid on him since he turned pro. Inactivity is his only weakness.

Have experience how much more difficult it is to a) Motivate yourself to train....B) Get the body to do what you want it to.....When you reach your mid thirties....

Make no mistake a younger Rigo takes the p**s out of this guy...............But If Quigg can keep a hot pace and Rigo doesn't dissuade him early.....

I pick Rigo but Quigg has a better chance than people think.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:56 am

You were never a pro athlete Truss, nor motivated by 6 figure pay-days.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:57 am

What difference does that make to my capacity to train hard.......Older you get the harder it is...

Soccer players decrease in value once they reach 28........

There is a reason for that.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

You don't think someone dangling a million quid in front of you alters your ability to motivate??

Part of the reason footballers reduce in value is because they're seen as a diminishing asset, not just because they're getting older. You buy a 20 yr old confident you'll get 10 good years out of him, you buy a 30 yr old thinking you'll only get 2 or 3. Ergo the pricing is different.

One of the starkest indictments of United the last year or two was that, pushing 40, Giggs and Scholes were too often our best players still.

Rigo is Giggs/Scholes, Quigg is Cleverley.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:06 am

Of course it helps motivate..........But I know for a fact where as my body couldn't wait to train in my 20s.......In my late thirties it was "Oh let's do something else" ....

Just ask anybody...

Giggs couldn't play every game......

.If the prime of a soccer player was longer they wouldn't be a diminishing asset at 28....

I know you like to be contrary but .......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

Said it before, but I'm pretty disappointed with the attitude the other Super-Bantams and even Feathers have shown when it comes to Rigondeaux. We had Lee Selby on the podcast a while back - a young, talented Feather knocking on the door of a world title shot who should feel like he's got the world at his feet, but when asked about the toughness and quality of his division he said, "It'll get tougher if Rigondeaux moves up - there's no beating him." Likewise, the teams of Quigg, Frampton and Santa Cruz talk about cleaning out the divison, but then list a load of 122 pounders they're going to fight in order to do that without mentioned Rigondeaux, who you need to beat in order to claim to be the top dog.

More or less telling the whole world that you don't want to fight a guy because he's too good, or basically conceding that you can't beat him in any case, just smacks of a negative mid set and goes against the fundamentals of competitive sport.

Rigondeaux's a phenomenal talent but as others have said, so what if you lose to him? I think if one of the other belt holders at 122 shows some 'nads and takes him on they'll get a massive amount of respect from the fans regardless of the result. Who knows, maybe they'll perform better than we're giving them credit for. Rigondeaux hasn't had a taxing pro career and his smooth style lends itself well to longevity, but it's still not beyond the realms of possibility that his prime could be coming to an end in the next year or so. He should still beat the guys listed above without a great deal of problems, but at least make him prove it rather than just conceding without trying.

Rigondeaux is extremely hard to hit cleanly....But on the rare occasions someone has managed to lay a telling glove on him, his reaction hasn't always been great (although in fairness, in contrast to the Cordoba fight where he got dropped and then went in to his shell for the rest of the fight, he got dropped against Donaire but then went on to beat the snot out of Nonito for the remainder). History tells us that almost nobody is invincible, and Frampton in particular has the hand speed and heavy counter punches to potentially give Rigondeaux a stern examination.

Rigondeaux losing to someone like Frampton, Santa Cruz or Quigg would be a big upset, sure - but there have been even bigger ones in the past which came about because the contenders to the so-called invincible fighters had the nerve to have a go. Let's hope the best of the rest at 122 / 126 follow suit.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

I agree Chris.......Curry was supposed to be unbeatable and World number 1 and apparently Honey said he'd fight him before he left Welter.....

But then again Curry had all the titles..

There-in lies the problem..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:38 am

Rigo's issue is he's not a draw.

So unlike Floyd, who arguably could have had a similar problem of just being simply too good for anyone else out there, he can't dangle a massive diamond-encrusted gold carrot out there for people to fight him.

Sure LSC etc would fight him for a guaranteed £2-5m pay day.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:45 am

The problem lies where Quigg, Frampton and Santa Cruz all have the ability to give Rigo trouble, the fact they all squirm the second his name gets mentioned suggests that they would mentally beaten before they have even stepped in the ring.

You have got to at least want the fight and believe you can win otherwise its pointless.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:53 am

£2-5 millon pay days for Super-Bantams is a pipe dream though Toppy, even if the kingpin of the division is a big name (ie, a Morales or Barrera back in the day).

Donaire's been an established attraction for a long time and had been considered one of the best fighters in the world for years before facing Rigondeaux, but he still got a career-best purse for that fight - off the top of my head, $1.4 million I believe (so what's that, about £830,000 - £850,000 in our currency?). That figure might not seem all that impressive by Floyd, Manny, Wladimir or Froch standards, but for that weight class it ain't half bad, and for a fighter as consistently successful and as exciting as Donaire to be getting the best pay of his career against Rigondeaux kind of flattens this idea that there's nothing in Rigondeaux financially.

To put it in to context, Santa Cruz said he'd be willing to travel to Belfast to defend against Frampton if they could guarantee him £500,000. Can't see any reason why he wouldn't be getting a similar figure at least (though probably better) if he were to face Rigondeaux in a unification bout.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:31 pm

I hope Frampton fights him at some point. Hopefully soon. I'd give Frampton a very good chance of beating him.

I understand all the hype with Rigo and its well earned from his amateur days. Problem is I've always thought he's been put on this pedestal as unbeatable because of the Donaire fight. I've always thought Donaire just didn't show up and had shown signs of regression beforehand. Definitely not the same fighter now but it can't all be attributed to the Rigo . I don't think a peak Donaire, with them tactics, could have beaten him but its not the win that it's perceived as for me.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:36 pm

The one thing Smith did well was to try to make Abraham work more than he wanted to.........When you reach AA and Rigy's age you want to work in fits and starts and control the pace....

Like I said Frampton-Rigo is 50/50 for me..............and Quigg is 30/70.......

Rigo can't fight 12 hard rounds..............Got to find a way to make him...Which is the hard bit....

Get him in the King's hall and turn the heat up like Barry's mates used to..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Rigo can't fight 12 hard rounds..............

Laugh how do you know?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Laugh how do you know?

Yeh, Truss might wanna tell Donaire that....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Laugh how do you know?

But Quigg as a chance....... censored

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Laugh how do you know?

Quiggs has power though, a real punchers chance.

Just a pity Donaire wasn't so blessed, oh wait.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:27 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Laugh how do you know?

Quiggs has power though, a real punchers chance.

Just a pity Donaire wasn't so blessed, oh wait.....

But Donaire doesnt have Quiggs speed!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:36 pm

Think Chris is bang on in this respect, would like to see a few more guys getting some guts when it comes to Rigo. He is an excellent fighter, no question, but he seems to be gaining a reputation as some sort of unbeatable beast in the sport. If history has taught us anything in this sport it is that nobody is unbeatable, Buster Douglas, Randy Turpin, Lloyd Honeygan and Jim Corbett have all proven that, along with countless others. Rigo has come from a long amateur career and a relatively impoverished background, who knows, now he has made a few quid he could take his eye off the ball or develop a taste for wine, women and song. Not saying he will, but unless someone actually grows a set and gets in with him we will never find out.

Also as an aside I am not sure why Quigg gets so much grief on here. Rigo is world champion at the weight, anybody else claiming to be world champion is no more or less credible than Quigg. The fact they hold one of the belts Rigo has not bothered to pick up yet makes them no more of a champion than Quigg. Until one of them, be it Quigg, Frampton or LSC beats Rigondeux they will remain paper champions, as such not sure why Quigg should be singled out for criticism whilst the others get a pass.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

Rowley wrote:Think Chris is bang on in this respect, would like to see a few more guys getting some guts when it comes to Rigo. He is an excellent fighter, no question, but he seems to be gaining a reputation as some sort of unbeatable beast in the sport. If history has taught us anything in this sport it is that nobody is unbeatable, Buster Douglas, Randy Turpin, Lloyd Honeygan and Jim Corbett have all proven that, along with countless others. Rigo has come from a long amateur career and a relatively impoverished background, who knows, now he has made a few quid he could take his eye off the ball or develop a taste for wine, women and song. Not saying he will, but unless someone actually grows a set and gets in with him we will never find out.

Also as an aside I am not sure why Quigg gets so much grief on here. Rigo is world champion at the weight, anybody else claiming to be world champion is no more or less credible than Quigg. The fact they hold one of the belts Rigo has not bothered to pick up yet makes them no more of a champion than Quigg. Until one of them, be it Quigg, Frampton or LSC beats Rigondeux they will remain paper champions, as such not sure why Quigg should be singled out for criticism whilst the others get a pass.

Because Quigg doesn't hold the full version of his World Title whereas Frampton and Leo do. Also Quigg seems quite happy to proclaim himself as a World Champion whilst also producing a turtle head in his pants every time Rigo's name is mentioned.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:53 pm

Don't get the logic though SOF, if you happen to pick up a title Rigo has been stripped of you're not a world champion. If you pick one up he has not bothered to win you're legit?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:00 pm

The three are the same SoF, for as long as Rigo is the man the others have no claim to be a world champion unless they start beating eachother.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:03 pm

Rowley wrote:Don't get the logic though SOF, if you happen to pick up a title Rigo has been stripped of you're not a world champion. If you pick one up he has not bothered to win you're legit?

WBA Super World super bantamweight title holder is Rigo
WBA World super bantamweight title is Quigg

Rigo holds the full version of the belt. Quigg might as well be listed as 1# contender.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:05 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The three are the same SoF, for as long as Rigo is the man the others have no claim to be a world champion unless they start beating eachother.

No sorry, Santa Cruz WBC Champ, Frampton IBF Champ, Rigo WBA and WBO Champ. Quigg holds no full version of the title.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

See what Hammy & Rowls are saying, but I'm with SOF on this.

Quigg is a glorified #1 contender.

The others can at least claim to have a portion of the world title, albeit none can refer to themselves as 'the man' at the weight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:19 pm

So can Quigg top hat, the governing body in its infinte wisdom have deemed him world champion as such he has a portion of the world title. For me once you get past the point there is only one world champion or that there can be more than one world champion it is all ridiculous, why one persons ridiculous situation should attract more vitriol and ire than the others is what I cannot comprehend.

Quigg's only offence appears to be picking his ludicrous title up in the same governing body as Rigo picked his up in. Cannot really get my head round the idea that for instance if LSC was to move up and for example Kid Galahad was to win his vacant belt against a nobody he would apparently have more legitimacy than Quigg.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:24 pm

It's so difficult to take the WBA seriously. I mean WTF is a Super Champion?! It would at least be palatable if they only gave It fighters who hold titles in another organisation
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:28 pm

The amount of different belts, even within organizations, is doing my nugget in.

It's like a scene from that film Inception

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:49 pm

Rowley wrote:Quigg's only offence appears to be picking his ludicrous title up in the same governing body as Rigo picked his up in.

Well Rigo was the Super Champ before he picked up his little trinket.

And in his first 'defence' he eeked a draw against a boxer who was then stopped be a journyman in his next fight. He has then defended against 3 blown up Bantamweights.

If he can't see why he's getting much flak, he's not the sharpest tool in the places they keep tools.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next