The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Wingers

+22
Knackeredknees
Cyril
HammerofThunor
bluestonevedder
BamBam
Cumbrian
WELL-PAST-IT
LordDowlais
quinsforever
dgttaylor
Hound of Harrow
Tiger/Chief
Geordie
lostinwales
Rugby Fan
funnyExiledScot
beshocked
BigTrevsbigmac
TightHEAD
dummy_half
Welly
robshaw4england
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England Wingers - Page 2 Empty England Wingers

Post by robshaw4england Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been thinking and I can't decide who I want to represent England on the wings. So i'm going to look at options on both the right and the left wing.

Right Wing

S.Rokodeguni - Bath - Uncapped
J.Nowell - Exeter - 5 Caps
C.Wade - Wasps - 1 Cap
M.Yarde - Quins - 5 Caps
C.Ashton - Saracens - 39 Caps
C.Sharples - Gloucester - 4 Caps
T.Brady - Sale - Uncapped
T.Ojo - L.Irish - 2 Caps

Left Wing

A.Watson - Bath - Uncapped
J.May - Gloucester - 7 Caps
B.Foden - Saints - 34 Caps
D.Strettle - Saracens - 14 Caps
U.Monye - Quins - 14 Caps
T.Arscott - Sale - Uncapped
T.Varndell - Wasps - 4 Caps
M.Benjamin - Leicester - Uncapped

Who would you choose and why?

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

England Wingers - Page 2 Empty Re: England Wingers

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:04 am

He he he Dowlais that was quite a successful little fishing trip...got few bites Very Happy

Mind in all honesty you can have Mako Vunipola back if you like, we like props who can scrum. Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:06 am

As for the other 'problem'

To paraphrase 'All players from country X are crap/foreign. Only joking. Actually only most of them are crap/foreign, the rest are just one dimensional/somehow managed to find a grandparent. But its only banter and you know what its so funny seeing the reaction.'

Its. just. sad.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:08 am

BamBam wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:I like Nowell, he always seems to beat the 1st tackle but I don't see him as a 1st choice if others are fit.

I could very much see him as Brown mk2. I honestly thought he'd take longer to break back into the squad after last year, although he showed a lot of promise, but so far he is doing well with the limited opportunities he has had and the competition isnt where it could be.

Yep, I like Nowell's game, anyone who stops Louis Picamoles at full tilt one on one has got to have something about him

Will be interesting in future to see how the FB spot works out, with Brown/Foden not exactly over the hill, Nowell/Watson coming up through the ranks and maybe someone like Hammersley being a long term bet

Hey now warning , dont be going and building up any of our players...we've done enough of that already ourselves and we're still waiting for them......

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:10 am

Haha, he was the first rookie FB who looks like he can play a bit I thought of, there probably are others though!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:26 am

Actually he's done very well since he came into the side. Only 21 and looking very assured.

But he's not even Saxons ready yet. He's doing well just learning the ropes of the prem and standing out currently in a poor side.

Hopefully we'll have Zac Kbirigie back soon aswell.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:04 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Lost, I didn't catch the Exeter game against Harlequins other than the highlights- which only showed Nowell's yellow card. How did he go?

I havent caught the game yet either. I only know what I have read, that he played in an A game before hand and did a lot of damage before coming off, and then looked OK vs Harlequins. But there is a good vibe about him at the moment.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:35 pm

lostinwales wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Lost, I didn't catch the Exeter game against Harlequins other than the highlights- which only showed Nowell's yellow card. How did he go?

I havent caught the game yet either. I only know what I have read, that he played in an A game before hand and did a lot of damage before coming off, and then looked OK vs Harlequins. But there is a good vibe about him at the moment.

OK

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 02 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:He he he Dowlais that was quite a successful little fishing trip...got  few bites Very Happy

Mind in all honesty you can have Mako Vunipola back if you like, we like props who can scrum. Wink

Cheers Geordie, at least somebody can have laugh on here, i wish more people would lighten up like you. Anyway, I reckon Sharples and Strettle are your best bets on the wings.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:29 pm

Fit the bill do they?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:30 pm

Sharples and Strettle...is that so North and Cuthbert can have an easy jog out against them...

Nah i think we need a big bruiser on one wing. But we dont have that.

I still think Yarde is the lad...not massive but he's powerful and fast and England do have a knack of getting out of form players...in to form (which is a sign of good coaching)

On the other wing...well i still like what Ashton offers...its just we havent seen it in too long for whatever reason.

I do like Nowell...offers much as does Wade in a different way.

But with Nowell, Wade, Watson, Nathan Earle, Zac Kibirige etc coming through hopefully our options will start to improve.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:43 pm

There's always little chat about Tom Varndell when it comes to international selection but he does have a good try scoring record at club level, and I'm not convinced his defence is any weaker than a number of the other more touted options these days.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:46 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Fit the bill do they?

For years now, since Shane Williams has retired, I have longed for an intelligent winger, a winger who has good positional sence, a winger who can score a try from nothing, one that can sidestep, drop the shoulder, can defend, Sharples and Strettle will both run into space, create an overlap, turn defenders inside out, and be in the right positions to defend a kick, North and Cuthbert are both one dimensional, the will get the ball, flat footed, run at no angle, and look for contact as they are "bigger" than their opponents, you ask them to defend though, North cost us the game out in South Africa during the summer, he cannot tackle for toffee, and Cuthbert, the less said about his defence the better, but on the other hand they are both powerful finishers, and some people like that sort of play, myself, I prefer the off the cuff, bums off seats type of players, like Sharples and Strettle. Their, have I explained that enough for you. Hug

Last edited by LordDowlais on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:49 pm

Watson is a good defender, has a step and can out run most on a rugby field.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 02 Oct 2014, 1:55 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Watson is a good defender, has a step and can out run most on a rugby field.

I have not seen much of him, I would have to take your word for it, the other two though I have seen, and they do "fit the bill" for my favourite type of winger.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

Strettle looked fantastic when he first made it into international rugby. The last chances he had he was safe rather than amazing, and was little of a threat. I dont know if he has just lost pace but the current version doesnt cut it at the top level whatever he achieves at club level.

Sharples is a funny one, but in general has been quieter than the competition. I dont think he offers anything that May doesnt, for instance (and if you want to see some good tries May scores some stunners)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

What is Sackey doing these days ? Has he retired or something ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:What is Sackey doing these days ? Has he retired or something ?

I believe so. I think he was at Quins last year but only really as injury back up. Wiki still lists him as at Quins but I suspect its out of date.

Just in case you were wondering I am pretty sure that Rory Underwood retired and is a pilot now.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:26 pm

Maybe Sackey is just chilling out.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:32 pm

lostinwales wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:What is Sackey doing these days ? Has he retired or something ?

I believe so. I think he was at Quins last year but only really as injury back up. Wiki still lists him as at Quins but I suspect its out of date.

Just in case you were wondering I am pretty sure that Rory Underwood retired and is a pilot now.

He was a pilot before!

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

He was a pilot before!

Ok - he's a commercial pilot now!

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:37 pm

Rory was in the RAF whilst playing rugby
Tony trained as an airline pilot after rugby.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:38 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

He was a pilot before!

Ok - he's a commercial pilot now!

To be fair all he did was enough hrs to keep certified and flew a desk the rest of the time. On a side note one of the most welcoming members of the RAF squad when i broke through and was challenging him for a wing spot

Last edited by Knackeredknees on Thu 02 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : note*)

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:21 pm

lostinwales wrote:Strettle looked fantastic when he first made it into international rugby. The last chances he had he was safe rather than amazing, and was little of a threat. I dont know if he has just lost pace but the current version doesnt cut it at the top level whatever he achieves at club level.

Sharples is a funny one, but in general has been quieter than the competition. I dont think he offers anything that May doesnt, for instance (and if you want to see some good tries May scores some stunners)

Sharples is a strange one. Apparently the fastest premiership player, and also according to Ashton. Poor in defence from what I remember. Like you say lost- he doesn't offer anything better than May.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:59 pm

Jack Nowell played all of his age grade rugby at 15 but to my knowledge has never played a first team game for the Chiefs at Full back! was interesting however that Nowell played 15 in the Junior World Cup final pushing Watson onto the wing.

Yarde,Ashton and Nowell all play right wing I think, I don't think Brown is playing his best rugby this season.... Could Foden be picked in the AI's???

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 02 Oct 2014, 4:24 pm

Isn't that mainly because Chiefs have had Luke Arscott before this season, who is a very good prem level FB

Who has been playing 15 this season for the Chiefs?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Thu 02 Oct 2014, 5:05 pm

Chrysanda Botha and Phil Dollman, although Nowell has only played 1 game since March! Be interesting to see what happens now Arscott has moved on!

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 02 Oct 2014, 5:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:We only have Faletua, and he has been living in Wales since he was about 6yrs old, people like Jake Ball have a Welsh parent at least.

For Geordie, I will list a few, just off the top of my head:-

Mako Vunipola
Billy Vunipola
Brad Barritt
Dylan Hartley

To be fair with Wales picking only English outside backs, you have severely reduced our player pool

Give us back North and JD2 and we won't pick Roko
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mbernz Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:05 am

I think it would take a fair bit for Lancaster to stray from Yarde starting the AIs.  He hasn't been in great form for Quins so far, but based on how he performed for England as a more powerful wing option I think Lancaster will give a decent amount of leeway in him being at a new club and that club's form.  Short of poor training in the England camp I'd be surprised if he didn't get the nod in the opening matches.

On the other wing I think Lancatser is really keen to have a good look at Watson.  He made a point of bringing him into training squads early and very much likes his pace, strength, athleticism, breaks and aerial ability, impressing when given the start against the Crusaders in the summer. Watson also ticks the box of having at least one wing who can play FB to a decent standard, which gives more options in who gets the 23 shirt.

May & Nowell can also fulfill that wing/FB role but I don't think they did enough in their run of 6N games to secure a position.  Nowell looks the more likely candidate of the two, doing most things well, though they'll want him to have a good run of quality games before selecting him having been injured for so long.  I think May makes Lancaster a bit nervous and has dropped down the pecking order, he can produce some exciting moments, but those opportunities are few and far between at international level and at present he seems just as likely to make an error of judgement when under pressure at the top level.

Ashton has more recently been Lancaster's fallback option when injuries and uncertainty take hold, but it's been so long and so many opportunuties since he's had a notable performance in an England shirt under the current systems that I think short of absolutely sparkling form Lancaster is more interested in seeing what others can do.  I think top of that others list are Wade and Rokoduguni.  Wade is the most electric and creative of all the wing options and almost certain to be tested at some stage, which I hope will be against tougher opposition so that he can answer one way or another questions about his defence and size.  Roko is one of the more physical options on the table and doesn't seem to have any notable weaknesses, with pace and finishing ability right up there.  He also appears to be really hard working and noticeably improving his game, which are qualities that will particularly entice Lancaster.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 03 Oct 2014, 9:02 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:We only have Faletua, and he has been living in Wales since he was about 6yrs old, people like Jake Ball have a Welsh parent at least.

For Geordie, I will list a few, just off the top of my head:-

Mako Vunipola
Billy Vunipola
Brad Barritt
Dylan Hartley

To be fair with Wales picking only English outside backs, you have severely reduced our player pool

Give us back North and JD2 and we won't pick Roko

Yeah, why not, take them, we have enough to cover those, and at least then you only need to look within our own island for players then. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

Agreed LD, it is thoroughly annoying that people who are willing to fight in battle for our country should then wish to be selected to play a game wearing that country's colours.

The scoundrels

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:35 am

BamBam wrote:Agreed LD, it is thoroughly annoying that people who are willing to fight in battle for our country should then wish to be selected to play a game wearing that country's colours.

The scoundrels
BamBam, do you need a sense of humour transplant ? FFS, come on, have a larf, anyway, you can take a job with the British army, no matter what your nationality is, and he is very brave, like all our soldiers, to be out in the middle east putting their neck on the line, but just because he has fought for the British army, it does not make him British, if that was the case, then any of Wales or Scotland could pick him. He qualifies for England on residency, not because he was in our army. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 03 Oct 2014, 11:24 am

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:Agreed LD, it is thoroughly annoying that people who are willing to fight in battle for our country should then wish to be selected to play a game wearing that country's colours.

The scoundrels
BamBam, do you need a sense of humour transplant ? FFS, come on, have a larf, anyway, you can take a job with the British army, no matter what your nationality is, and he is very brave, like all our soldiers, to be out in the middle east putting their neck on the line, but just because he has fought for the British army, it does not make him British, if that was the case, then any of Wales or Scotland could pick him. He qualifies for England on residency, not because he was in our army. Hug

Being a very sensible chap he chose very wisely which of the four countries to live in, can't blame him for picking the best of the lot Hug

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 03 Oct 2014, 12:03 pm

Yes and that is my point, it does not matter that he fought in our army, however brave it is, he was still a foreigner being employed by a British company, so the army has no impact on anything, the fact that he has lived in England for more than three years though is enough to qualify him, and that is the issue really, but thems are the rules, so he is doing nothing wrong, I was just having a bit a fun, which most people on here took far too seriously, this site needs some good old banter.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 03 Oct 2014, 12:27 pm

Broken Record
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 Oct 2014, 12:55 pm

Pretty much every DoR after a defeat.

Oh this is England WINGERs

oops

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 04 Oct 2014, 9:53 am

Another cracking game from Roko last night for Bath, he is playing himself into the team
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:24 am

What is the most number of tries scored by a single England winger against any single opposition team in all his career?

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2