The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumour about CM Punk

+9
Jammy31
Kay Fabe
Samo
Prometheus
XR
Marky
Paul Mac 6CW
NickisBHAFC
Adam D
13 posters

Go down

Rumour about CM Punk Empty Rumour about CM Punk

Post by Adam D Thu 9 Oct - 19:28

Apparently, TNA have offered him stupid amounts of money to join them on a "Hogan" type contract.

And I got poo-pooed for this suggestion a few weeks back on the podcast.

Not saying he is joining (he wont) but stranger things have happened!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Rumour about CM Punk Empty Re: Rumour about CM Punk

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 9 Oct - 20:37

Would be a stupid move for him.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 9 Oct - 20:57

NickisBHAFC wrote:Would be a stupid move for him.

Why?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Thu 9 Oct - 21:04

Would be huge for TNA and why shouldn't they at least try?

Punk is obviously still young enough to perform at the top and whoever the new TV deal is with would be mad not to see the potential for commercial gain by having Punk on board

I agree that it probably won't happen but if it did I would watch TNA

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 9 Oct - 21:12

What do you mean by a Hogan type contract? As in part time, or as in creative control?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 9 Oct - 21:21

I am not sure what is meant by a Hogan type contract (it was the term I read) but I am guessing its creative control of some sort and a guaranteed contract.

Apparently a typical TNA contract is $1000 a month downside plus appearance money, which is why they all work the indies.

I would assume that a Hogan contract would be a guaranteed downside and direction over his character.

Answering Nickis "stupid to go comment", I don't see why not.

If he can pick up as much money as in the WWE, with creative control, and a limited schedule, why would he be stupid?

He is already regarded as a great in WWE. He is one of the few people to screw over the WWE (TUW being another). He could wrestle on his terms and have some new match ups.

Punk vs aries
Punk vs Joe
Punk vs Roode
Punk vs Angle
Punk vs Hardy
Punk vs Lashley
Punk vs EC3

All of these would be great feuds that the IWC would love to see.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 9 Oct - 21:31

lol. Punk in TNA is such an hilarious idea i'd like to see it happen. From Best in the World to Best in Florida.

Anyway...this is a simply publicity stunt by TNA, try and make people believe they're still operating at a higher level than they are. Are we really meant to believe TNA are offering him an obscene amount of money when talent are having their contracts re-negotiated DOWN in their salary because the company is awful with finances?

Just a simply publicity stunt by TNA. they've done it before using Punk to try and cash in and they're doing it again. They let go the ONE guy they created in to a legitimate Main Event with no prior mainstream exposure (ignoring the last 6 months of WCW) and what's their focus? Offering money they don't have to a guy who is not interested rather than trying get someone of their own cut to replace AJ.

Adam D wrote: He could wrestle on his terms and have some new match ups.

Punk vs aries
Punk vs Joe

Punk vs Roode
Punk vs Angle
Punk vs Hardy
Punk vs Lashley
Punk vs EC3

Those bolded aren't new match ups in anyway, you're extremely misguided by thinking/saying that. Punk vs Angle, i'll give you that one. Roode isn't good enough on the mic to carry a main event feud with someone of Punk's calibre, same with Lashley (who i'm still not convinced is a decent wrestler - just a big man with a lot of throws), and Derrick Bateman just is not at the same level at anything.

So yeah, of that list only the match/feud with Kurt Angle would be interesting to anyone outside of TNA and surely, by trying to get punk, that is what they're trying to achieve?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 9 Oct - 21:43

gcBlues wrote:lol. Punk in TNA is such an hilarious idea i'd like to see it happen. From Best in the World to Best in Florida.

Anyway...this is a simply publicity stunt by TNA, try and make people believe they're still operating at a higher level than they are. Are we really meant to believe TNA are offering him an obscene amount of money when talent are having their contracts re-negotiated DOWN in their salary because the company is awful with finances?

Just a simply publicity stunt by TNA. they've done it before using Punk to try and cash in and they're doing it again. They let go the ONE guy they created in to a legitimate Main Event with no prior mainstream exposure (ignoring the last 6 months of WCW) and what's their focus? Offering money they don't have to a guy who is not interested rather than trying get someone of their own cut to replace AJ.

Punk vs aries
Punk vs Joe

Punk vs Roode
Punk vs Angle
Punk vs Hardy
Punk vs Lashley
Punk vs EC3

Those bolded aren't new match ups in anyway, you're extremely misguided by thinking/saying that. Punk vs Angle, i'll give you that one. Roode isn't good enough on the mic to carry a main event feud with someone of Punk's calibre, same with Lashley (who i'm still not convinced is a decent wrestler - just a big man with a lot of throws), and Derrick Bateman just is not at the same level at anything.

So yeah, of that list only the match/feud with Kurt Angle would be interesting to anyone outside of TNA and surely, by trying to get punk, that is what they're trying to achieve?
A bit rude!

Of course I knew about those feuds, it was the other ones that were new.

I don't think anyone wouldn't want to see a proper conclusion to the Punk/ Hardy feud and a rerun of the ROH feuds with the other two.

And EC3 has been great in TNA since his introduction. Put on good matches in all his feuds and knows how to work a crowd on the mic better than most people on TV. Very few can adlib to the "what" chants like he has been doing.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 9 Oct - 21:55

Wait, they get the "What" chants in TNA too? In the words of Zandig...

JESUS

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 9 Oct - 22:49

I doubt there is much to these rumours, but it doesn't hurt TNA to be associated with Punk possibly turning up there, or Punk to be associated with a big contract.

As I think this is most probably fantasy. Then here would be my fantasy for Punk in TNA.

Punk joins primarily for the reason of giving WWE a bloody nose, rather than for a big bag of cash. He joins on the standard contract with the guaranteed downside of $1K a month, but if he can move the needle enough for TNA then his take home really starts to rise, i.e. he's paid by his draw.

For his first outing I'd advertise it as Monday Night Wars. I'd have CM Punks return to wresting well publicised across the IWC and have a 2 hour TNA show scheduled against Raw. I'd use Punk 3 times in that. At the opening have a big build up of Punk in the limo etc. Mid-way through I'd have a 1-to-1 interview or video. And then I'd have him wrestle the main event.

After that I'd probably go back to TNA on whatever time and channel it is. But for the first go of what could be the biggest name available in wrestling I'd see how many fans he could get trying the TNA product against WWE and see if I can get a few of those interested fans to then stick and try something different for a while.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 9 Oct - 22:55

I dont think Punk could be swayed by creative control, it was the direction of the company he was disillusioned with. But atleast WWE have a direction. We might not all like it but they arent just throwing things to the wall to see what sticks.

Punk's a purist and wants to see stories resolved and the fan favourites at the top, not Vince's favourites. While TNA might be slightly better at storytelling at this point, the fact they seem to try and rebrand every 3 months reeks of a company with no direction.

A guy like Punk would see TNA as a potential pay-day, but wouldnt risk his legacy. He's too proud.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 10 Oct - 3:19

TNA if they can afford a deal would not be doing their job properly if they didn't explore this possibility but it would be unbelievably stupid of Punk if he chose to go there.

Punk may have been peed off with how guys like Batista come back and get a WrestleMania main event run but Punk himself could be in that very position if he stays away from the game for another year or two, if he goes to TNA though he's finished altogether as a guy who could be considered a big name draw for WWE ever again IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 10 Oct - 8:45

Adam D wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:Would be a stupid move for him.

Why?

He would be joining a stupid boring wrestling organisation.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Fri 10 Oct - 12:48

In the same rumour though, it was said that Punk was offered the contract, but stated to TNA officials that he didn't want to return to Pro Wrestling ever again. Take that as you will.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 10 Oct - 14:12

gcBlues wrote:lol. Punk in TNA is such an hilarious idea i'd like to see it happen. From Best in the World to Best in Florida.

Punk vs aries
Punk vs Joe

Punk vs Roode
Punk vs Angle
Punk vs Hardy
Punk vs Lashley
Punk vs EC3

Publicity stunt? Sure. Of course it is, Punk is out of TNA`s league, but not because they don`t have the talent, just because of their financial status.

Roode could rise to the occasion, he`s got great ring presence, a solid move set and is a fantastic heel. As a heel he could make the feud work.

Lashley is a good wrestler (both amateur and professional), his current run in TNA has established him as the most dominant TNA world champion and as Punk had his "best in the world" gimmick in the WWE that rivalry writes itself. Okay Lashley isn`t talented on the mic, but neither is Lesnar and so with MVP acting as mouth piece you could work it out.

EC3 is a rising star in TNA and if his push is continued he could be a contender against Punk in the not too distant future.

Punk vs Hardy would probably be the most ready to go of all the hypothetical feuds and Punk`s first major feud. The pair could put on quite a show together.

Angle would make a great match if he was fit, but of all of these Angle would be last on my list.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri 10 Oct - 18:07

Dont know if Punk or Hardy would want to work with each other again. They never exactly got on the last time around.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 10 Oct - 20:30

I don’t buy into the whole ‘Punk didn’t like the direction of the company’ thing. This is a guy who has flown the flag for years for the wrestling purists and the indie guys. It’s always been about the wrestling for Punk and he’s always been an advocate for people who work hard should get their rewards with a good spot on the card. Taking all of that into account let me write some names – Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler, Kenta, Devitt, Neville, Steen. I’ve probably missed some. Yet Punk doesn’t like the ‘direction’ of the company? Personally I don’t think there has EVER been a better pool of talent at the WWE’s disposal. In a few years when all of these guys are on the main roster us fans will be in for a treat. I just hope they are booked well.

Punk left because of one reason – he wanted to be in the main event of Wrestlemania and when he found out he wasn’t going to be he took his ball and went home. But the truth is no one really knows what happened or why, only he knows and the fact that he’s ‘left the company’ yet made no comments about his departure or made any disparaging remarks leads me to believe he doesn’t want to badly burn any bridges. Make no mistake – CM Punk will wrestle for the WWE again, he’s just delaying the inevitable, he’s a smart guy and he’s playing hardball but if he wanted to he could go on podcasts, tv shows or social media and vent – but he hasn’t, which for such an outspoken guy is surprising.

There is nothing wrong with Adam’s list of potential matches in TNA. Punk v Aries etc would be great, but Punk vs the guys mentioned above, in my humble opinion, would be a lot better.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 10 Oct - 22:59

What happened with Punk and Hardy???

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 10 Oct - 23:06

Derbymanc wrote:What happened with Punk and Hardy???

One's a substance abusing free spirit and the other's completely straight edge.

That and Punk dated Lita.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Oct - 23:07

CM Punk reportedly immediately said no and said he had no interest in joining TNA or professional wrestling in general.

I agree with those who are saying this is a publicity stunt by TNA, this thread is exactly what they wanted, they want people to be talking about TNA and making sure news of them contacting Punk was leaked is one way of doing that. It was never going to happen because Punk doesn't need to go to TNA and TNA can't really afford him.

I'm not sure if this would be good for either party, while on paper TNA getting a big star should be a good thing, the past has showed that it doesn't matter who is wrestling for TNA or who is associated with TNA, they need more than just star power. Hulk Hogan remains one of the biggest names in wrestling, even now his merchandise selling in the WWE is reportedly in the top ten, yet he could do very little for TNA. They acquired Jeff Hardy at the very peak of his popularity, when he was the biggest star in WWE, and he did very little for them. As big of a star as CM Punk is, even if he did sign for TNA I'm not sure he would have a big long-term impact. Star power has not helped TNA in the past to the extent it should, and it won't now.

I don't think it would be a good move for CM Punk either, it may mean he can wrestle on his own terms and get a big pay day, but he's wrestling in what is at this point a much smaller company and with no guarantee of it even sticking around for the long-term future. He would harm his own marketability by dropping down to TNA, it would actually make him look like less of a star in my opinion. If he does want to wrestle again, he would be best wrestling in big showcase matches in Japan or something along those lines.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 10 Oct - 23:42

Marky wrote:

Seems like something stupid to fall out over. You don't hear everyone falling out with Punk cause they like a beer and he doesn't

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 11 Oct - 0:24

Derbymanc wrote:
Marky wrote:

Seems like something stupid to fall out over. You don't hear everyone falling out with Punk cause they like a beer and he doesn't

Didn't punk bury him in a promo after he left WWE as well?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sat 11 Oct - 2:39

Adam D wrote:

Didn't punk bury him in a promo after he left WWE as well?

And the infamous shoot were Hardy was clearly off his jubblies.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down