The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 Greatest Victories Of All Time

+15
Rowley
kingraf
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Atila
bellchees
AdamT
John Bloody Wayne
Hammersmith harrier
rapidringsroad
milkyboy
jimdig
TRUSSMAN66
Cast a Shadow
hazharrison
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

12 Greatest Victories Of All Time - Page 2 Empty 12 Greatest Victories Of All Time

Post by hazharrison Sun 2 Nov - 7:42

First topic message reminder :

Think we've ran something similar here. Can't argue with the top three:

http://www.thefightcity.com/top-12-time-greatest-victories/

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

12 Greatest Victories Of All Time - Page 2 Empty Re: 12 Greatest Victories Of All Time

Post by AdamT Mon 3 Nov - 23:40

kingraf wrote:Haven't benched in a while. My shoulder were nagging me for a few weeks, so dropped the pull up and bench. Started pull ups again, but I'm wary of the bench.

I only bench because I compete in powerlifting. Id much rather do weighted dips and work with dummbells. Too many injuries with benching.

Anyhow back on topic. Iran Barkley vs Hearns was a great upset. Has anyone mentioned it yet?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

12 Greatest Victories Of All Time - Page 2 Empty Re: 12 Greatest Victories Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Nov - 23:41

kingraf wrote:Of course there are freaks... you tend to need to be one to play elite sports.

No way anyone of Agassi's build can naturally shift 400 ..................

I've took all sorts of crap and I couldn't get close If I tried which I don't want to..

Bull crap....

The gym is full of elite athletes........Zane couldn't bench 400...

As for the other guy let me know what he takes and I'll try some..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 3 Nov - 23:42

One fight I'd like to see in the list is Joe Gans beating Battling Nelson in their first fight. There were mitigating factors and caveats that can be placed against this fight, but every one of them was to Gans' disadvantage. The weight stips he was expected to meet, and the tactics Nelson got away with employing were ridiculous. Gans winning that one was almost unbelievable, and Nelson certainly fits the bill of being no slouch as a figthter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Nov - 23:43

AdamT wrote:
kingraf wrote:Haven't benched in a while. My shoulder were nagging me for a few weeks, so dropped the pull up and bench. Started pull ups again, but I'm wary of the bench.

I only bench because I compete in powerlifting. Id much rather do weighted dips and work with dummbells. Too many injuries with benching.

Anyhow back on topic. Iran Barkley vs Hearns was a great upset. Has anyone mentioned it yet?

The fight where he got completely hammered and won the lottery.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 3 Nov - 23:45

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

The fight where he got completely hammered and won the lottery.......

Yes that is the one. He was hammered and was the heavy underdog but it was a great victory none the less. Would loved to have seen the betting odds for that fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Nov - 23:49

Rowley wrote:One fight I'd like to see in the list is Joe Gans beating Battling Nelson in their first fight. There were mitigating factors and caveats that can be placed against this fight, but every one of them was to Gans' disadvantage. The weight stips he was expected to meet, and the tactics Nelson got away with employing were ridiculous. Gans winning that one was almost unbelievable, and Nelson certainly fits the bill of being no slouch as a figthter.

Napolean struggled Battling Nelson so he must have been good ...!!!!

I'll chuck in Siki - Carpentier ...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov - 0:17

CURRY/HONEGHAN

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 4 Nov - 0:34

Is that a metal band?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 0:35

Can't buy our douglas count argument raf. Douglas was watching the ref the whole time and timed his rise accordingly. He cut it fine, certainly but you can't say he couldn't have got up earlier. Its possible, but he looked fairly steady when he was up.

He battered the guy, got dropped, got up to beat the count, continued to batter him and knocked him out. Nothing to mitigate for me. Had the punch landed earlier in the round then who knows how the fight ends, but it's not a what if debate. The crimes in that fight were kings behaviour afterwards and some ludicrous score cards that the ko saved us from.

Curry honeyghan is a fair shout Dave, the mitigation being weight issues for curry... Which again is in the mitigation or excuse category

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 4 Nov - 0:37

Ja well.. fine... Refs are never wrong. Why the hell did we need Froch-Groves 2?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 0:42

Who said refs are never wrong......

Don't be a drama queen..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 0:47

milkyboy wrote:Can't buy our douglas count argument raf. Douglas was watching the ref the whole time and timed his rise accordingly. He cut it fine, certainly but you can't say he couldn't have got up earlier. Its possible, but he looked fairly steady when he was up.

He battered the guy, got dropped, got up to beat the count, continued to batter him and knocked him out. Nothing to mitigate for me. Had the punch landed earlier in the round then who knows how the fight ends, but it's not a what if debate. The crimes in that fight were kings behaviour afterwards and some ludicrous score cards that the ko saved us from.

Curry honeyghan is a fair shout  Dave, the mitigation being weight issues for curry... Which again is in the mitigation or excuse category

Mitigation seems to win the day... when you consider the two boxers (Starling/Breland) who said Curry looked awful................Embarrassed the lotto winner !! Absolutely creamed him !!............

Both in my desert island collection !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 4 Nov - 0:54

How about Watson vs Benn?

Although I seem to recall that Watson was highly rated, I dont think anyone really saw him winning that fight? Maybe not as high profile as some of the fights on the list but it certainly dispelled the aura around Benn.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 0:59

We are talking about the greatest victories of alltime Mate........

A happy slugger losing in 6 to an underachieving Brit in a second division fight....

Not for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 4 Nov - 1:01

Okay, how about Watson vs Euban II?

Not so much that the win was unexpected but the manner in which he won? Behind on all score cards, knocked down in the 11th, to get up and win?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov - 1:02

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Can't buy our douglas count argument raf. Douglas was watching the ref the whole time and timed his rise accordingly. He cut it fine, certainly but you can't say he couldn't have got up earlier. Its possible, but he looked fairly steady when he was up.

Curry honeyghan is a fair shout  Dave, the mitigation being weight issues for curry... Which again is in the mitigation or excuse category

Mitigation seems to win the day... when you consider the two boxers (Starling/Breland) who said Curry looked awful................Embarrassed  the lotto winner !!  Absolutely creamed him !!............

Both in my desert island collection !! Cool
Still bitter then TRUSSY....

Greatest victory...any of Floyd's wins "as he faces the most dangerous foe yet" and blah blah blah blah blah

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 1:07

Your boys breland and starling had no vested interest did they trussy!

Raf, I'd actually be interested in what the average amount of time fighters knocked down are given before the fight is waved off. Often, if they're on their feet, unless they are falling into the ref, they get a few extra seconds of arm lifting and eye staring before being given the hug of rescue... Unless they're meldrick Taylor. Douglas was waved straight back in, only for the bell to ring. If you're mitigating refs mistakes then you're mitigating a ref who was lenient on holding, low blows etc.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 4 Nov - 1:10

Surely my eternal moans regarding a certain Bernard Hopkins have proved that to be the case?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 1:10

milkyboy wrote:Your boys breland and starling had no vested interest did they trussy!

Raf, I'd actually be interested in what the average amount of time fighters knocked down are given before the fight is waved off. Often, if they're on their feet, unless they are falling into the ref, they get a few extra seconds of arm lifting and eye staring before being given the hug of rescue... Unless they're meldrick Taylor. Douglas was waved straight back in, only for the bell to ring.  If you're mitigating refs mistakes then you're mitigating a ref who was lenient on holding, low blows etc.

Starling instead of bigging up his win over Honey like most fighters do...said..."I told you he got lucky".....

No vested interest there Matey.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 4 Nov - 1:14

Charles over Moore or maybe Mclarnin beating Ross.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 4 Nov - 1:16

Sounds like an excuse for losing to Curry myself Truss.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 1:29

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Sounds like an excuse for losing to Curry myself Truss.

You've lost to Curry ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 1:46

kingraf wrote:Surely my eternal moans regarding a certain Bernard Hopkins have proved that to be the case?

Yep was aware of that, best discount floyd's win over hatton while we're at it. There'd be a lot of mitigating and not much left to choose from!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 1:51

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Your boys breland and starling had no vested interest did they trussy!

Raf, I'd actually be interested in what the average amount of time fighters knocked down are given before the fight is waved off. Often, if they're on their feet, unless they are falling into the ref, they get a few extra seconds of arm lifting and eye staring before being given the hug of rescue... Unless they're meldrick Taylor. Douglas was waved straight back in, only for the bell to ring.  If you're mitigating refs mistakes then you're mitigating a ref who was lenient on holding, low blows etc.

Starling instead of bigging up his win over Honey like most fighters do...said..."I told you he got lucky".....

And yet curry the guy who eas in the ring with him, spoke very highly of honeyghan. To be fair starling did give some good post fight sound bites. The molinares one being my personal favourite. 'I wasn't knocked out, do I look knocked out?'... 'You only have to be knocked out for 10 seconds marlon'. Whistle

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 4 Nov - 2:03

milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

And yet curry the guy who eas in the ring with him, spoke very highly of honeyghan. To be fair starling did give some good post fight sound bites. The molinares one being my personal favourite. 'I wasn't knocked out, do I look knocked out?'... 'You only have to be knocked out for 10 seconds marlon'. Whistle

Give or take seven or eight.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 2:05

So the douglas count was about 17 or 18 seconds then raf?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 4 Nov - 2:14

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Atila, again it comes down to the size argument, there can't be a great many fights that don't come a disclaimer or some sort of excuse.
Hearns was taller, had a bigger punch, a longer reach, was faster and weighed more for the fight. To me, they were pretty evenly matched.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 4 Nov - 2:39

I was being facetious
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov - 2:40

kingraf wrote:I was being facetious
That's sooo unlike you.

I, too, was being facetious

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 2:45

I don't know what facetious means, but if its good, I too was being facetious.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 3:31

milkyboy wrote:I don't know what facetious means, but if its good, I too was being facetious.

Starling = Breland twice, Simon Brown, , Lloyd Honeyghan, Lupe Aquino, Tommy Ayers.............

Honey = Curry..............

end of..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 4 Nov - 3:53

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:I don't know what facetious means, but if its good, I too was being facetious.

Starling = Breland twice, Simon Brown, , Lloyd Honeyghan, Lupe Aquino,  Tommy Ayers.............

end of..........

Were you watching a different fight Wink

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 4:22

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Starling = Breland twice, Simon Brown, , Lloyd Honeyghan, Lupe Aquino,  Tommy Ayers.............

end of..........

So you're listing starlings wins and draws. Not the defeats to curry twice, bumphus and blocker, all three of whom list to honeyghan. Aquino lost to rosi, another honeyghan victim. As for ayers, that's called scraping the barrel.

Honey got battered by starling when he was on the slide and knocked down by a jab against breland when he was about as shot as it gets. But hey, this one is Groundhog Day for us fella. Starling may well have always been wrong for honey but he didn't get the best version of him, like honey didn't get the best version of curry.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 4:34

Vaca, Pazienza, Starling, Breland, Dodson...........

The best Honey?? The guy who lost to Vaca a year after Curry .............

He wasn't at his best for long Mate was he ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 5:04

No he wasn't. He spent the money he got from being champion on wine and women, and the rest he just frittered away.

He also believed his hype and thought he could knock everyone out.

A familiar tale.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 4 Nov - 5:40

Good thread here, worried the gym nerds would hijack it at one point but good debate Wink.

Of recent times Jones Toney is a great shout. RJJ became a superstar with that performance in my eyes. The first fighter I ever saw who I considered unbeatable.

I'd also put down Mayweather's one sided beating of JMM as his finest performance. Coming out of (an albeit short lived) retirement and putting a real show on against Pac's toughest ever opponent. I know Mayweather is an all round better version of JMM but he made a great fighter look anything but.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov - 5:45

Dipper Brown wrote:Good thread here, worried the gym nerds would hijack it at one point but good debate Wink.

Of recent times Jones Toney is a great shout. RJJ became a superstar with that performance in my eyes. The first fighter I ever saw who I considered unbeatable.

I'd also put down Mayweather's one sided beating of JMM as his finest performance. Coming out of (an albeit short lived) retirement and putting a real show on against Pac's toughest ever opponent. I know Mayweather is an all round better version of JMM but he made a great fighter look anything but.

Eh?

Fighting a career feather/superfeatherweight at fat blown up catchweight which PBF ignored anyway? Yes it was a great 'performance' but everything was in his favour (including being about 5 years younger) and he beat a guy that wasn't bringing anything that should trouble him (e.g. pressure, fast hands, southpaw, angles [no points for guessing someone to offer all 4]).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 5:48

JMM was crap...Just like that useless zombie Alvarez......

Poor Man's Chuvalo that guy !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco_Marky - Stuffington Tue 4 Nov - 5:52

Marquez isn't even Floyd's best performance. It is light years from being one of the greatest wins of all time.

Marco_Marky - Stuffington

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 4 Nov - 6:26

Ha ha, well I thought he was brilliant to be fair. And I'm no Floyd fan. Marquez still around the p4p ratings (if you're into that kind of thing.).

Out of interest, what does everyone rate as Floyd's best performance?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 4 Nov - 6:30

TopHat, obviously you're alluding to Pac (or Martinez if you're being cheeky) and I agree with you. He's tailor made to trouble Floyd. Although JMM always gave Pac kittens and Floyd is a superior JMM so the reverse is true.

Makes the fact the fight has never happened all the more infuriating.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco_Marky - Stuffington Tue 4 Nov - 9:01

Cottages probably his best performance. Pretty much punch perfect.

Either him or Henry Brussels.

Marco_Marky - Stuffington

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 4 Nov - 9:08

In terms of just putting on a gorgeous display in which he looked a million dollars, you'd probably go with Gatti - but Gatti didn't really have much to threaten Mayweather with.

I tend to think of Corrales as being Mayweather's signature win / performance. Granted, Corrales' gameplan was a bit dubious, but that was when Mayweather still had the legs, good power and blinding speed, and it was such a complete display. Can't believe some of the crowd were actually booing in the early rounds - it might not have been exciting, but they were watching a fantastic display of the sweet science.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov - 9:18

Mosely fight for me. Yes Shane was perhaps past his best but was still pretty fast and a very dangerous puncher. He hurt Floyd bad but Floyd then picked him apart.

for a one sided beat down and demonstration of Floyds more offensive skills then the Gatti fight is number one. The Hatton win was also fantastic. Hatton wasn't a big welter but neither was Floyd at that time. After cagey opening couple of rounds Floyd boxed his ears off and finished it beautifully.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov - 19:50

Dipper Brown wrote:TopHat, obviously you're alluding to Pac (or Martinez if you're being cheeky) and I agree with you. He's tailor made to trouble Floyd. Although JMM always gave Pac kittens and Floyd is a superior JMM so the reverse is true.

Makes the fact the fight has never happened all the more infuriating.

Exactly, Dipper. They both had styles that should have been a nightmare for each-other. Manny's struggles with JMM were why I always favoured Floyd to take it, but around the time of Floyd's self-imposed exile/retirement (which conveniently coincided with Manny's devastating peak) it was close enough between them for it to be a damn tight fight and very hard to call - 55:45 in Floyd's favour, IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov - 19:51

Will ignore the big dumb Yank.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov - 20:09

Do me a favor and keep ignoring me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov - 22:24

Hard to pick out a mayweather performance... He's just consistently excellent in nullifying his opponent and picking them off, though certainly he was more exciting in earlier fights. I'd probably go with corrales or, In recent times, his dismantling of the much bigger Alvarez was very impressive I thought.

I've never watched the jmm fight. Just couldn't see stylistically how jmm could ever threaten him, so would never have it as a great victory no matter how good a fighter Marquez is.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 4 Nov - 22:51

I stayed up for the Marquez fight but have never had - and probably never will have - any inclinations to revisit it.

To be fair to Mayweather, lots of fighters have had contests against guys who had no real weapons to worry them and who were at a size disadvantage, and they still haven't managed to look as great as Floyd did that night. Shouldn't be forgotten that he did box brilliantly even if he didn't let his hands go as much as he could / should have done. Hate to sound like Truss, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that if it'd been someone else other than Mayweather, general opinion might be a bit more positive towards that fight.

But agree with it not being one of the greater wins or showings on Mayweather's ledger. Corrales, Hatton, Mosley, Alvarez and perhaps even Judah or De la Hoya are more significant to Mayweather's greatness given the context of those fights, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov - 22:53

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Vaca, Pazienza, Starling, Breland, Dodson...........

The best Honey??  The guy who lost to Vaca a year after Curry .............

He wasn't at his best for long Mate was he ???

After Vaca got cut by a clash of heads and then Lloyd beat him fair and square in the rematch...that barrel's getting scraped so badly you'll be through the bottom of the planet in no time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next