The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing's Can't Miss Fighters

+14
3fingers
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
AdamT
JabMachineMK2
alanqlm
superflyweight
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
milkyboy
88Chris05
Adam D
Rodney
hazharrison
18 posters

Go down

Boxing's Can't Miss Fighters Empty Boxing's Can't Miss Fighters

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Nov 2014, 6:56 am

Here are my top five "can't miss" fighters (who I'd consider staying up late to watch):

1. Gennady Golovkin
2. Sergey Kovalev
3. Nicholas Walters
4. Vasyl Lomachenko
4. Artur Beterbiev

And the guys I'd ditch for an early night:

1. Wlad Klitschko
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Bernard Hopkins
4. Richard Abril
5. Carlos Molina

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Boxing's Can't Miss Fighters Empty Re: Boxing's Can't Miss Fighters

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Nov 2014, 7:49 am

My top 5
1. GGG
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Sergey Kovalev
4. Carl Froch
5. Nicholas Walters

Can't disagree with the 5 you'd ditch

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 06 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

Does Tyson Fury fit into this category?

Not because you want a boxing masterclass but because you just dont know what you are going to see?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 9:12 am

Can't miss (no order): Roman Gonzalez, Carl Froch, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Orlando Salido, Gennady Golovkin.

There aren't really any fighters I'd actually go out of my way to avoid if I was watching a bill with them on, but the ones who leave me a bit cold are Derek Chisora, Nathan Cleverly, Paulie Malignaggi, Richar Abril and Felix Sturm.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Nov 2014, 9:21 am

Its match ups I 'm interested in not individual fighters. I'm as interested in watching golovkin spark out a gatekeeper in two rounds as I am watching joshua flatten an overmatched lump of lard.

In terms of fighters who can be exciting and vulnerable and therefore likely to be in exciting fights I'd have khan and stevenson there or thereabouts.

The turn off list admittedly could make any match up dull, but its very harsh on mayweather. He makes defence an art rather than practising dark arts like hoppo. Providing he's in with a guy who comes to fight I can appreciate the talent i'm watching.

Molina is a strange one. He has work rate, he doesn't set out to spoil. He's just one paced has no power and seemingly he's awkward for opponents to fight. He might top my stinker list, but its harsh because he doesn't set out to stink like some of the others.

High volume no power fighters are probably my least favourites to watch... Eg I'm with Chris on cleverly.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 06 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

Must watch:
Johnnie Muller
Golovkin
Olly Usyk
Thabiso Mchunu
Stevenson

Won't stay up to watch...
Floyd. Last four years, I've only watched his Maidana fight live.
Devon Alexander
Bernard Hopkins
Miguel Cotto
Ward.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Nov 2014, 9:40 am

Strange one In Cotto, Raf. Usually involved in some barnstormers. Milky does make a good point regards the match-ups.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:31 am

If you don't consider Mayweather, the best pure boxer of the last 50 years, a can't miss fighter then please find another sport which will satisfy you're pretty low standards. Can I suggest tidlywinks.

Real boxing fans who have shared the ring want to see a technical master at work. Mayweather embodies the ethos of ''hit and don't get hit'' and some of us appreciate a fighter who can master the ring and his opponent.

but I guess some people prefer to, play giraffes instead of chess, listen to 1.D instead of Beethoven or watch TOWIE instead of Hitchcock.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:If you don't consider Mayweather, the best pure boxer of the last 50 years, a can't miss fighter then please find another sport which will satisfy you're pretty low standards. Can I suggest tidlywinks.

Real boxing fans who have shared the ring want to see a technical master at work. Mayweather embodies the ethos of ''hit and don't get hit'' and some of us appreciate a fighter who can master the ring and his opponent.

but I guess some people prefer to, play giraffes instead of chess, listen to 1.D instead of Beethoven or watch TOWIE instead of Hitchcock.

Which is your favourite Beethoven, ONETWO? I liked the first one best. Second one was a bit silly with Mrs Beethoven and the puppies and stuff.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:39 am

I can appreciate Mayweather's skill but he's boring to watch - especially against overmatched opposition who aren't talented enough to pose him problems.

The Maidana fight was entertaining purely because of Maidana and his willingness to go balls to the  wall.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:58 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:If you don't consider Mayweather, the best pure boxer of the last 50 years, a can't miss fighter then please find another sport which will satisfy you're pretty low standards. Can I suggest tidlywinks.

Onethree, Not sure what your special relationship  with truss has to do with this argument.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu 06 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

Can't miss for me in no particular order: Frampton, Golovkin, Mayweather, Khan, Cotto.

Honourable Mentions - Matthysse, Rigo and Garcia.

Wouldn't stay up for: Abril, Alexander, Burns, Bradley, Cleverly.

Dishonourable mentions - Sturm, Abraham and the whole Cruiser divison.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 11:59 am

I'm not sure if ONETWO is on the wind-up or not.

Can't miss = exciting fighters. Not the best. Andre Wards fights are boring. Floyd fights are boring. Rigo fights for the most part are quite boring. They're 3 of the best boxers of the last 10 years.

Anyway, after trying to work out what ONETWO is banging on about:

1. Amir Khan (lets face it, his fights are always good value for some excitement)
2. Carl Froch (you'll rarely have a dull night when Froch fights)
3. Gennady Golovkin (Guy is a freaking artist at times with his punch selection and general malice)
4. Manny Pacquiao (Always works for 12 rounds and is exciting)
5. JMM (see above)

Go to bed early/read the results

1. Floyd Mayweather (based on past opponents, if he fought Khan/Pacquiao I'd stay up)
2. Andre Ward (No explanation needed)
3. Rigondeaux (not sure why he's all of a sudden "can't miss"? Although I appreciate his skill, its still quite boring.)
4. Bernard Hopkins (30 seconds a round? Headbutts and grabbing? I'd rather sleep)
5. Devon Alexander (just generally boring to watch. COnundrum with him facing Khan next. Could be any multitude of things)

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 12:21 pm

You bleat on about how I do nothing but insult you and then you go and post something as f*cking ridiculous as this.

Using that rationale precious few of us are allowed to appreciate Felix Baumgardner's achievement unless we've also jumped from a hot air balloon from the edge of space....twunt!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu 06 Nov 2014, 12:26 pm

My can't miss list was more done on favourite fighters and how intrigued I am in their fights rather than how exciting their fights are likely to be.

I'd be the 1st to admit Mayweather and Rigo aren't the most exciting boxers on the planet to put it mildly and wouldn't be my 1st choice to show a potential fan to get them hooked but when they have a fight I still wanna watch.

Others like Khan are there based on the fact you can be near on certain on a good fight and some drama.

The wouldn't stay up fors obviously the complete opposite some are their for boring styles and fights - other just cause I simply have no interest in them or whether they win or lose.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Nov 2014, 12:32 pm

Frampton but I'm biased Very Happy

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

Mayweather, Froch and Khan are the only three id go out of my way to watch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:06 pm

I struggle to be bothered even recording fights these days let alone stay up for them. Recorded the Golovkin fight recently and managed to watch it knowing that fifteen minutes is about as much time as I get these days to watch something on the idiot box. If there's a Mayweather fight on I won't record it because I know it's going 12 rounds and will never get past round six before I have to switch over to Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:12 pm

It is unfortunate but you know when Mayweather fights its never going to end in kO. Ortiz aside it has been 7 years since Floyd scored a ko. I am a Floyd fan and marvel at his skills but unfortunately the coasting down the stretch and lack of killer instinct is a downside to watching him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:19 pm

The answer to the question is none...........No one I'd want to lose sleep over........

Obviously like in all sports If I did I'd want to see the cream.......Not some guy banging out stiffs like DeGeale..

Luckily for me and unluckily for you when Boxing was thriving and pretty encompassing in my life I got to watch the great and good at a resonable hour due to Vegas being just three hours behind.....

Remember coming over to visit red before arriving permanently in summer 89 and noticing Tyson - Williams didn't start I believe it was on cable over here till about 3 am...

Bollox to that......

Most of the fights here were aired days later after you knew the result...which isn't really the same.

Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Rosario, Sanchez, Chavez, Tyson, Holmes, Spinks, CURRY, Leonard, Benitez all pretty much near or on primetime..

I've been a lucky boy...

I've also been lucky to have a special relationship with ONETWO..........A prize I treasure most of all..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:21 pm

If Mayweather went through the gears and forced the stoppage occasionally his fan base would increase exponentially as he'd have demonstrated an all-round game. He lacks the killer instinct that many fight fans (despite their hypocritical protestations about admiring the beauty of the game) still like to see. Doesn't have to be a lights out KO, just do enough to force the ref to step in and wave it off

Winky Wright was guilty of the same thing. The cherry on the icing on the cake when he fought Tito would have been to put the pedal to the metal and get the stoppage but he was happy to coast and despite it being one of the best boxing performances I've seen, it left sour taste in the mouth.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:24 pm

DAVE667 wrote:If Mayweather went through the gears and forced the stoppage occasionally his fan base would increase exponentially as he'd have demonstrated an all-round game. He lacks the killer instinct that many fight fans (despite their hypocritical protestations about admiring the beauty of the game) still like to see. Doesn't have to be a lights out KO, just do enough to force the ref to step in and wave it off

Winky Wright was guilty of the same thing. The cherry on the icing on the cake when he fought Tito would have been to put the pedal to the metal and get the stoppage but he was happy to coast and despite it being one of the best boxing performances I've seen, it left sour taste in the mouth.

Good post and agree. Leonard was a genuis too but he liked to force a stoppage when he could

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:If Mayweather went through the gears and forced the stoppage occasionally his fan base would increase exponentially as he'd have demonstrated an all-round game. He lacks the killer instinct that many fight fans (despite their hypocritical protestations about admiring the beauty of the game) still like to see. Doesn't have to be a lights out KO, just do enough to force the ref to step in and wave it off

Good post and agree. Leonard was a genuis too but he liked to force a stoppage when he could

See that b!tches...you can all go f*ck yourselves. AdamT is a legend and, by agreeing with me, clearly not TRUSSMAN (although still a dreadful suck up....but not in this case).

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Mayweather, Froch and Khan are the only three id go out of my way to watch.

Thought you were a Hopkins fan?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Mayweather, Froch and Khan are the only three id go out of my way to watch.

Is there such a thing as one of them ??....... I'd rather watch Greg the flea Richardson or go to a Slayer concert.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

I am Truss alter ego. I'm his good cop

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Is there such a thing as one of them ??....... I'd rather watch Greg the flea Richardson or go to a Slayer concert.
It's SLAYER you c**t...you know this so stop being deliberately inflammatory

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

It's "SLAYER you c**t"

Is that them evolving..... Like when the Jefferson Airplane became Jefferson Starship .....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

It's "SLAYER you c**t"

Is that them evolving..... Like when the Jefferson Airplane became Jefferson Starship .....

No, that's them being afforded the respect they truly deserve. Them evolving would be them being called "SLAYER...destroyer of mediocrities and levelers of Worlds the Galaxy over"...or similar

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

It's "SLAYER you c**t"

No, that's them being afforded the respect they truly deserve. Them evolving would be them being called "SLAYER...destroyer of mediocrities and levelers of Worlds the Galaxy over"...or similar

With your glowing personality I always pictured you as more of a 1.D fan, or maybe you are Justin Bieber Wink

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

I appreciate Hopkins ability to win at an advanced age but I wouldn't call myself a fan and would only ever watch his fights the next day. Pavlik and Pascal I were surprisingly decent fights.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

It's "SLAYER you c**t"

With your glowing personality I always pictured you as more of a 1.D fan, or maybe you are Justin Bieber Wink
Nah, Beiber loves Mayweather, I think he's a c**t (Mayweather not Beiber although Beiber's a c**t as well) and One Direction love Louis Walsh and my feelings about that w*nker are well documented.

Or maybe I'm being very sneaky..........

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

Dave why 667?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 06 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm

GGG's fights don't excite me; he's too patient.

I'd rather watch Maidana, Mattyesse, Guerrero, Kovolev, Beterbiev and Khan.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

DAVE - If you're 555......

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 06 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

Because 666 was already taken. DAVE because well, he listens questionable music from bands which Capitalise their name in an attempt to... well, I'm not sure what, but that.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 8:16 pm

Top 5:

Floyd
Rigo
Pacman
Khan
GGG

Avoid:

Fury
Bellew
Molina

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Adam D wrote:Does Tyson Fury fit into this category?

Not because you want a boxing masterclass but because you just dont know what you are going to see?

He is a guilty pleasure. If the original Tyson's appeal was that of a chemical plant exploding, Fury's is akin to watching a drunk guy trying to get off at the correct bus stop.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco_Marky - Stuffington Fri 07 Nov 2014, 12:16 am

For me it's about how convenient it is for me to watch. If it's on sky sports and at a reasonable hour I'll watch it. If it's on after hours I'll watch it the next day. If it's a PPV fight I won't watch it out of principle. I'll catch it on YouTube days later.

Best fighters to watch (we are talking top fighters here I assume)

Froch - although he is a Mr Winklechops
Marquez
GGG
Donaire (although his time is done)
Kessler (again, a fading force)

Avoid

Floyd
Hopkins
Ward
Degale
Wlad (although ironically I catch a lot of his fights as they are on sky at a reasonable time).

Marco_Marky - Stuffington

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 07 Nov 2014, 4:24 am

hazharrison wrote:

He is a guilty pleasure. If the original Tyson's appeal was that of a chemical plant exploding, Fury's is akin to watching a drunk guy trying to get off at the correct bus stop.

Absolute spot on description Haz laughing

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:01 am

Derbymanc wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Absolute spot on description Haz laughing
Surely you mean "If the original Tyson's appeal was that of a chemical plant exploding, Fury's is that of a chemical toilet exploding"

Back to top Go down

Post by .aveyard2.0 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 3:31 pm

I wouldnt put Manny in my top 5, as his opponents sound about as exciting as rich tea biscuit with no tea.

1) Mayweather (appreciate his talent)
2) GGG (so clinical)
3) Khan (who knows what will happen next)
4) Brook (undefeated brit world champ, a fav of mine)
5) Haye (always been a fan, speed and power to pretty much knock any man out with questions about his chin)

5 turn offs:

1) Fury (just a clown)
2) Bellew (embarrassment)
3) Burns (too simple)
4) Hopkins (if I wanted to see a half naked old man grapple other men I'd go to the sauna with my dad)
5) Kevin Mitchell (so underwhelming)

.aveyard2.0
.aveyard2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down