The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

+37
banbrotam
CAS
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Henman Bill
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
greengoblin
dummy_half
slashermcguirk
Chazfazzer
DirectView2
lags72
Johnyjeep
MrInvisible
bogbrush
coolpixel
Haddie-nuff
Silver
Calder106
Danny_1982
Mad for Chelsea
It Must Be Love
hawkeye
summerblues
CaledonianCraig
Born Slippy
FedsFan
kingraf
The Special Juan
socal1976
laverfan
erictheblueuk
temporary21
Jahu
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
41 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 4 Empty World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:48 am

First topic message reminder :

So the ATPs premier showpiece event hits the O2 on Sunday. The sixth showing at the O2 and yielded only 3 different winners. Very interesting this year. 3 virgin qualifiers in Cillic, Raonic and Nishikori. Can we see a new winner? Can Nishikori and Raonic win the biggest title of their careers to date? Federer will have an eye on the DC like his compatriot Wawrinka, though he is woefully out of form of late. Has Murray much left in the tank to win his first title here at the O2? Can Berdych do a Davydenko and strike out of nowhere? Will it be a routine Djokovic victory?

For me the 2 that qualify from each group will be:

Group A

1) Djokovic
2) Raonic

Group B

1) Murray
2) Federer

Djokovic/Murray final

Winner: Djokovic

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:34 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:All I can say is Andy get your arse back to Miami with Mauresmo and work out a plan for 2015.

Also ask Santa for a second serve.

After he won Valencia, and he did play well, I thought he had worked out a plan..why  try to improve on a winning formula. If it aint broke dont fix it. It doesnt seem to take much these days for Andy to lose focus and Im left asking does he really have the hunger to get back into the BIG FOUR. It takes more than desire its the passion that appears to be missing.

I was never carried away with the results in Valencia or elsewhere due to the quality of his opponents. Not the aggressive kind like he was going to face here in London. There was never going to be anything left in the tank for the WTF. Not an ounce. Now he has 2 more matches and then fly to India.

He needs a lot of time with Mauresmo to get a groove going for next season.

I would sort of agree with your first point (maybe not entirely) but disagree with the nothing left in the tank bit. He has had over a week to recharge his batteries and for someone of his fitness and recovery levels that is just fine. Fatigue had nothing to do with today's loss. I'd put it more down to bad gameplan with not enough aggression and too many (far too many) unforced errors by his standards. Coupled, of course, with Kei playing to a very good standard and fully deserving the win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:All I can say is Andy get your arse back to Miami with Mauresmo and work out a plan for 2015.

After he won Valencia, and he did play well, I thought he had worked out a plan..why  try to improve on a winning formula. If it aint broke dont fix it. It doesnt seem to take much these days for Andy to lose focus and Im left asking does he really have the hunger to get back into the BIG FOUR. It takes more than desire its the passion that appears to be missing.

I was never carried away with the results in Valencia or elsewhere due to the quality of his opponents. Not the aggressive kind like he was going to face here in London. There was never going to be anything left in the tank for the WTF. Not an ounce. Now he has 2 more matches and then fly to India.

Lk I think thats a bit harsh on Robredo.. I thought it was a great final and Robredo played out of his skin:
Ill maintain what ive always believed to be the problem... its not physical, its mental  He never plays two matches the same it depends on what side he gets out of bed.

The Robredo match yes exciting, but not so much quality throughout the match. Were some purple patches, but both men played not to lose.

For Andy it's mental and physical. Hasn't looked fully fit since surgery. Take Nadals comeback. Suffered some defeats, but come IW he was fired up and physically ready for the fight. I have waited for Andy to do similar, but it's been a bit blah. If it's not happening for him physically, mentally it won't either.

I just hope off season he can get stronger for 2015.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:41 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

I would sort of agree with your first point (maybe not entirely) but disagree with the nothing left in the tank bit. He has had over a week to recharge his batteries and for someone of his fitness and recovery levels that is just fine. Fatigue had nothing to do with today's loss. I'd put it more down to bad gameplan with not enough aggression and too many (far too many) unforced errors by his standards. Coupled, of course, with Kei playing to a very good standard and fully deserving the win.

I wouldn't say either of them today played what I would call a good standard. Andy for me today looked heavy in the legs. Just nothing clicked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:42 pm

The Robredo match was high quality. Both players played extremely aggressive tennis, particularly under pressure. Haven't seen the match today but the highlights make it look poor quality. Andy seemed exceptionally passive and Kei obviously destroyed his second serve. Poor result for Andy but great start for Kei.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:49 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

Lk I think thats a bit harsh on Robredo.. I thought it was a great final and Robredo played out of his skin:
Ill maintain what ive always believed to be the problem... its not physical, its mental  He never plays two matches the same it depends on what side he gets out of bed.

The Robredo match yes exciting, but not so much quality throughout the match. Were some purple patches, but both men played not to lose.

For Andy it's mental and physical. Hasn't looked fully fit since surgery. Take Nadals comeback. Suffered some defeats, but come IW he was fired up and physically ready for the fight. I have waited for Andy to do similar, but it's been a bit blah. If it's not happening for him physically, mentally it won't either.

I just hope off season he can get stronger for 2015.

I think Lk we are of similar opinion Im not totally convinced about the physical bit.. that match in Valencia proved to me that Andy's retrieving skills are second to none.. I dont think he could have got to some of those shots by Robredo had he had any physical handicap. I thought he looked well fired up in that match and believed he was on the way back. He was aggressive and focused... but its gone again. Hey ho whatever the problem Andy you better address it sooner rather than later.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Spot on Haddie-Nuff. Those views were part of the reasons for my epitaph thread.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:01 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

The trouble was that Kei did not play at a high standard until Murray threw in his poor service game when 3-2 up with a break in set one. That semed to give him the confidence to go for his shots and even though his serving wss still poor he dominated most of the match after that.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Yep I agree.. he did. His self belief carried him through. Had Andy come back at him like he did Robredo..it would have been a different match.
Taking nothing away from Kei.. but he really should have been no match for Andy. I was not going to watch it because having seen Andys game in Valencia.. I had him down to win

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Can Feds and Milos rescue the day?

Shame Milos qualified as he was good on the commentary last year Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Oi, oi, easy on the shame Laugh

While I support the young blood, being a mean person by nature, I want Fed to revenge the loss for Paris.

Sorry Milo Hug
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:12 pm

A Raonic victory would certainly add spice to the Federer/Murray clash if they meet on Tuesday Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:14 pm

I sure hope Fed will not have back-to-back loses to Rao after tonight.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:18 pm

That BH slice off a 141mph serve! Backs it up with a fab BH block off a 138mph serve! Amazing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Fed breaks.

Milo a little shy, apart from looking like a freshly combed mommies boy and hitting 144mph serves.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Good start. Smile

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Fed has got lauder this year, with ComeOns.

I guess he feels happy for every point won at this age Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Raonic has hit 1094 aces this season. Averaging 16 per match. That is some stat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:23 pm

3:0 in 8 min.

No TB on this match Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Goran still far away with 1477 rockets during 1996.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Fed just toying with Raonic. Fast becoming Wimbledon all over again.

Good to see some winners!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Does anyone have a bio-scientific explanation, as to why Big servers have no FH power?

Milo, Ivo, Roddic, Isner etc etc, crazy serves and then no killer FH shots?

Any of top 4 FH looks much faster then these big servers.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Jahu wrote:Goran still far away with 1477 rockets during 1996.

Got to love Goran!

However he played 103 matches that year! The average would be 14 per match.

Mightily impressive though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Jahu wrote:Does anyone have a bio-scientific explanation, as to why Big servers have no FH power?

Milo, Ivo, Roddic, Isner etc etc, crazy serves and then no killer FH shots?

Any of top 4 FH looks much faster then these big servers.

I would be amazed if a FH looked powerful on this surface Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Ranic as good as a Montenegro wine.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:38 pm

LK, any surface, these huge servers have no killer FH.

I guess the serving is sucking the energy totally.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:39 pm

6:1 in 25 min.

Milo better have a stash of Canadian Bacon dipped in Maple Syrup in his bag, as he is going down.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Raonic and Roddick did/do have quite heavy FH's. Saw a few brutal ones at the US Open on the outer courts from them.

However, they were very reluctant to go deep and flat with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:42 pm

Wow, so far this has been easier than I expected.  Rao is not at all tuned in yet.

From what I heard about Montenegro wine, Rao's game so far today may indeed be about as good as that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:42 pm

We need Forehando to come back!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Serving is vertical movement, the arm movement is vertical as is overall movement. Theyre also hitting a standing ball from a standing position

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Federer returned 100% of serves he got a racquet on?? Insane!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Yeah, a first for a whole set, or so says the other canadian.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Greg recommending some gamesmanship from Raonic to disrupt the rhythm. warning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Hahaha, and we all take Canadians as honest well behaved people Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Frankly, Federer is the main course at this event. the rest are all fluff, irrespective of who wins finally.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Federer returned 100% of serves he got a racquet on?? Insane!

To be fair, although he gets ragged on for his general return stats, he's probably got the best block/slice return in the game today. One of the reasons he does so well against the big servers, I suppose...I think people should serve to his forehand more, especially in the deuce court. He struggles to get the step out there occasionally.

Pretty amazing stat nevertheless, against a guy serving 140!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Ok a good FH from Milo finally.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Silver wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Federer returned 100% of serves he got a racquet on?? Insane!

To be fair, although he gets ragged on for his general return stats, he's probably got the best block/slice return in the game today. One of the reasons he does so well against the big servers, I suppose...I think people should serve to his forehand more, especially in the deuce court. He struggles to get the step out there occasionally.

Pretty amazing stat nevertheless, against a guy serving 140!

It's probably the best I have ever seen. I wouldn't mind Henman's BH slice though Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:02 pm

C'mon Tim!

(I wouldn't mind it either Smile )

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 pm

All of a sudden Rao looked like he can play tennis. If he can keep it up, he might make a match of this.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Milo will run out of the steam now.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Rao much improved; fewer errors, better shot selection, hitting with more authority.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Maybe it was just his nerves early on - playing at WTF for the first time.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Fed is starting to get into trouble on his own serve - though arguably he could have won both last games easily.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Fed confused a little, or he thought he got the win already.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Fed will strike now imo

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 pm

If he does not lose serve and give the set, thats good enough, let alone strike.

He is out of the zone.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Jahu wrote:Hahaha,  and we all take Canadians as honest well behaved people Laugh

I can tell you for the most part they are, but just to remind you that Rusedski is half English..
But spare me from a bunch of Canadians when they are talking about Milos.. suddenly they have become
experts, when they are not watching football, icehockey, baseball and soccer that is Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 pm

I hope Raonic is this charitable against Murray when they face off

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Bagel TB?

Yesssss Fed wins.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next