The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where now for Cleverly ?

+6
wheelchair1991
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
Coxy001
TRUSSMAN66
ThrowingLeather
10 posters

Go down

Where now for Cleverly ? Empty Where now for Cleverly ?

Post by ThrowingLeather Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

I can't be the only person to watch Cleverly's performance at the weekend and be left scratching my head in confusion.

For me he is a great example of a talented fighter with no guiding force or clear direction. Following the Kovalev defeat he clearly needed a new start under a new trainer. It appeared that this was going to be Adam Booth who, for my money, would have been a well educated choice for the Cefn Forrest fighter. A defensive minded coach who would have played to his strengths of speed and stamina.

Unfortunately this wasn't to be an Cleverly appointed his ex-strength and conditioning coach to take the reins.

On saturday he looked like a fighter with no game plan. He's always had an unorthodox style but at the weekend it was disjointed and lacking any real belief. There appeared to exactly zero coming back from the corner in terms of technical feedback between rounds.

I think he's much better than that as a fighter, he's lost confidence and lost his way recently.

I would prescribe the following course of action…

1. Move back to Light heavy - he can be a cruiser weight but he'll never be a good one. He doesn't have the power for it.
2. Recruit a tested technical boxing coach to work on a style that plays to his strengths, namely work rate, foot work and speed. He's never going to be a slugger
3. Regular sessions with a sport psychologist to rebuild his confidence
4. Look to ease back in with an 8 round fight against someone who will make him work but ultimately pose little risk

I think we would see a different fighter as currently he's got all the talent but is seriously lacking some decent advice and structure.

Thoughts?

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Where now for Cleverly ? Empty Re: Where now for Cleverly ?

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

Thoughts?

Take your 2:2 and get the f*ck out of boxing. Get yourself a decent well paid job whereby you won't get your head kicked in, be ridiculed on the internet or have to slog your guts out for a pay packet that you could comfortably earn sat behind a desk. Realistically, Clev is a Euro level fighter and I can't see there being to much dosh in it for him.

The STEFFAN's of this world will always love him and I've no particular axe to grind with him but it's time he called it quits lest he become the whipping boy for any half decent fighter with a bit of ambition

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

He wants to p**s off and become a teacher............Can't fill his home town arena because they think he stinks..

He's always stunk places out and now he's gunshy apparently..

Just sling it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

My response was nicer

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:53 pm

"On saturday he looked like a fighter with no game plan"

Nope. He's just not very good, at all. He could've had Angelo Dundee in his corner and still got his arse handed to him.

LHW is too stacked and he gets embarrassed again. Stays at CW and will end up getting his arse kicked in a 3rd fight by the almost as horribly average Bellew.

Should just retire and accept the fact Warren slipped some guy at the WBO money to get him his shot against a nobody. Beat a bunch of nobodies and should be happy having made a few bucks out of something where he's 20+ ranked in his division.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

He definitely seemed gun-shy going in. There was a lot of talk about Bellew being a puncher during the build up and testing his chin etc… suggested to me that his head wasn't right.

I think the lad could come again but he needs to commit to himself and train under someone who can bring him on.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 2:57 pm

ThrowingLeather wrote:He definitely seemed gun-shy going in. There was a lot of talk about Bellew being a puncher during the build up and testing his chin etc… suggested to me that his head wasn't right.

I think the lad could come again but he needs to commit to himself and train under someone who can bring him on.

Even Steffy is moaning about Cleverley..........Are you his brother or sister ??

Who wants this guy to come again apart from his Mrs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

Maybe you're right … but to me he seems like a fighter with potential that has never been realised.

For example, I don't think Bellew is in danger of getting any better, but Cleverly could be significantly better with the right team around him.

Ultimately I think it will be very difficult for him to rebuild from here… Im sure Audley has a few drawing boards knocking about thought. Maybe pick one up on ebay.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:10 pm

The one good thing Audley has going for him is that he looks great.... Face down....

Maybe this kid should try it !!.......

Instead of stinking !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

He looked like Bute in the Pascal fight. Utterly scared to take a fight that was there to be taken and happy just to go 12 rounds. Old Clev would have beat fat Bellew on points. If this is all he has left, retire.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:He looked like Bute in the Pascal fight. Utterly scared to take a fight that was there to be taken and happy just to go 12 rounds. Old Clev  would have beat fat Bellew on points. If this is all he has left, retire.

Old Clev wouldn't beat Bellew at 200..............He's not a cruiser..

Apparently according to reports Cleverley was knackered after 8..................

Much to be said for being Fat !!

Look at Tubbs/Page workrates compared to the Klits.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm

He would have won. He almost won and threw zero punches. Bellew made him look like Ali on the ropes.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:38 pm

To be honest, Cleverly just looks like a guy who has mentally checked out of boxing and doesn't have the appetite for the sport anymore, to me. He's admitted that he contemplated packing it all in after losing to Kovalev, and that he hit the bottle hard. I think being unbeaten and having that tag of 'world champion' going in meant it was even more of a crash back down to Earth; it was supposed to be the fight in which he finally justified having that belt and established himself as a viable name for big-money fights - and he got absolutely trounced. I don't think he'd be human if the whole experience didn't leave him wondering if that world title really meant much at all or how he could ever hope to beat any of the top guys. He was exposed as being a level or two below the top class pretty brutally and ruthlessly on the night.

While I don't think he was or is intimidated by Bellew in the slightest, his demeanour in the run up to the fight didn't suggest to me a fighter who was confident or really looking forward to knuckling down in a hard fight between the ropes. Almost as if he took the fight for a bit of money and because he basically doesn't have anything ebtter to do.

When he actually climbed through the ropes, I think it's telling that the very things he used to be known for and what he said would win him the fight (so basically his quick combination punching and natural fitness / stamina) ended up being the very things which cost him - he wasn't commiting on his punches at all and he looked absolutely shattered after eight rounds. Take those former strengths out of the equation and it's hard to see how he's going to beat anyone highly-ranked even in a poor Cruiserweight division, considering his lack of power, versatility and defense.

For the time being he's basically back to domestic level, and from what he's said in the past I think Cleverly isn't willing to accept anything lower than being a world champion (or at least in the mix) having had that distinction before. I don't want to be melodramatic about it, because he's only 27, still has just the two losses on his ledger and is not without talent. But if that really is his mindset these days then who knows, maybe retirement would be the best option? Is he going to enjoy making up the numbers and boxing on just because he doesn't know what else to do with himself?

If he does carry on - and I think he probably will - then I'm not really sure what could be done to revive his career. Kovalev showed that he's not an elite fighter and he looks a little stranded between weight classes; "too big" (or just wants out because of the Kovalev loss) for Light-Heavy but also apparently too small to compete effectively at 200. Hire a trainer whose strangths actually lie in boxing and tactics trather than just fitness, get him on a couple of Selby undercards back home in Wales against guys he can stop and regain come confidence against and see how it goes would be the only real insight I could give at this point.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

[quote="Seanusarrilius"]He would have won. He almost won and threw zero punches. Bellew made him look like Ali on the ropes. [/quote]

In the "I didn't watch it but have looked at the scorecards on boxrec" way regarding Clev "almost" winning?

He was miles behind. Not throwing any punches doesn't win you rounds, Bellew for all his missing was at least throwing a shed load more of the intended hurtful stuff rather than just pawing the jab constantly.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

Kirk,

You are right. Clev wasn't close to winning. What I should have said was that he was in it for several rounds and all he did was jab. Bellew won it by a mile going away, but looked like cr*p doing so.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

88Chris05 wrote:To be honest, Cleverly just looks like a guy who has mentally checked out of boxing and doesn't have the appetite for the sport anymore, to me. He's admitted that he contemplated packing it all in after losing to Kovalev, and that he hit the bottle hard. I think being unbeaten and having that tag of 'world champion' going in meant it was even more of a crash back down to Earth; it was supposed to be the fight in which he finally justified having that belt and established himself as a viable name for big-money fights - and he got absolutely trounced. I don't think he'd be human if the whole experience didn't leave him wondering if that world title really meant much at all or how he could ever hope to beat any of the top guys. He was exposed as being a level or two below the top class pretty brutally and ruthlessly on the night.

While I don't think he was or is intimidated by Bellew in the slightest, his demeanour in the run up to the fight didn't suggest to me a fighter who was confident or really looking forward to knuckling down in a hard fight between the ropes. Almost as if he took the fight for a bit of money and because he basically doesn't have anything ebtter to do.

When he actually climbed through the ropes, I think it's telling that the very things he used to be known for and what he said would win him the fight (so basically his quick combination punching and natural fitness / stamina) ended up being the very things which cost him - he wasn't commiting on his punches at all and he looked absolutely shattered after eight rounds. Take those former strengths out of the equation and it's hard to see how he's going to beat anyone highly-ranked even in a poor Cruiserweight division, considering his lack of power, versatility and defense.

For the time being he's basically back to domestic level, and from what he's said in the past I think Cleverly isn't willing to accept anything lower than being a world champion (or at least in the mix) having had that distinction before. I don't want to be melodramatic about it, because he's only 27, still has just the two losses on his ledger and is not without talent. But if that really is his mindset these days then who knows, maybe retirement would be the best option? Is he going to enjoy making up the numbers and boxing on just because he doesn't know what else to do with himself?

If he does carry on - and I think he probably will - then I'm not really sure what could be done to revive his career. Kovalev showed that he's not an elite fighter and he looks a little stranded between weight classes; "too big" (or just wants out because of the Kovalev loss) for Light-Heavy but also apparently too small to compete effectively at 200. Hire a trainer whose strangths actually lie in boxing and tactics trather than just fitness, get him on a couple of Selby undercards back home in Wales against guys he can stop and regain come confidence against and see how it goes would be the only real insight I could give at this point.

All of a sudden people are spotting things on the run up to the fight.... Rolling Eyes

I was one of the few on here that picked Bellew..

Sunday morning quarterbacks on here !! Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

If he'd been willing to stiffen his jab and throw his right off it he'd have been in the driving seat. I was amazed that he wasn't getting this from his corner.

Too worried about getting clipped.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

[quote="Seanusarrilius"]Kirk,

You are right. Clev wasn't close to winning. What I should have said was that he was in it for several rounds and all he did was jab. Bellew won it by a mile going away, but looked like cr*p doing so.[/quote]

Yup, said somewhere else he looked a smidge less average than Clev but still average at best.

Haye to come back down to CW and fight Bellew anyone? Saying that I can barely listen to either of them for more than 3 seconds, let alone them both in the same pressers.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

Haye would smash Bellew off his feet at cruiser

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

ThrowingLeather wrote:Haye would smash Bellew off his feet at cruiser

Two rounds...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:41 pm

I would love Haye to fight him at CW. please let that happen.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

Must remember that Bellew is now some wrecking ball, massive punching machine @ CW......

Two rounds Truss? Such a conservative fellow (sense you're a Tory boy -good lad). Bookies would probably be offering which quarter of round 1 it would end in than round betting.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:45 pm

I can imagine both Bellew and Hearn turning pretty ashen-faced if the possibility of Haye comingback down to 200 for that fight was put to them. It'd be a massacre.

As a side note, anyone else mildly embarrassed at Bellew's declarations about what a big draw he is? As if this talk about the Cleverly fight being "the biggest fight in the division" wasn't enough, did anyone else see Tony's comments in the post-fight presser and with IFL at the weekend? When asked if he was now chasing Marco Huck, Bellew replied, "No, I'm not chasing anybody - they're all chasing me. I'm the big draw, the money man in the division."

Unlike Mr Fury, it was a line intended to be serious, too!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

I was very embarrassed for him, Chris.

Didn't he also mention the Millennium Stadium?

Ubelieveable.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

To be fair he only mentioned the Millennium as the only way of rematching Cleverly i.e. they have to fill it.

Saying that it's not being fair at all, they wouldn't fill out the lower tier of whatever stands sit at the end.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:56 pm

Given Marco Huck would like to fight Johnny Nelson when he aims to beat his record for CW defences, I'm not sure Bellew is far behind in the "talking out of the back of his head" stakes.

Seem nothing of Huck that makes me think a focused Bellew couldn't win...

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:57 pm

He did indeed anf the ifl stuff was deluded at best

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:13 pm

Amazing how in the last week Huck has gone from an ordinary plodder of the type Holy would destroy in in two minutes to a an accomplished technician...

In fairness to Nelson he'd last longer !!..... Holy would need at least two minutes with a map and compass to locate him.....

Bellew-Huck is 50/50 .....Hope Bellew wins...

He's a character not like the boring kraut.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:55 pm

Huck is a brawler and nothing more. Bellew is less than that. Huck by KO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:59 pm

Huck isn't great... but come on, it's Bellew! I can't think of anyone in the top ten Cruiserweight who wouldn't have to fight somewhere below their D-game to lose to Bellew. He should fight Thabiso Mchunu. I think Bellew could actually go twelve rounds without landing a punch.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

Im sure the plan was for a trilogy with Bellew but the last card seem to stink and will probably go be remembered as a rip off excercise. They may have killed the franchise as they say in the movie business. There is that crap light heavyweight Braehmer who holds a title at light heavyweight that he was supposed to fight years ago or they get Enzo Maccarinelli out to try and shift a few tickets in Wales.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

Huck is great if you have a fight with him, Bellew will do that and taking a pasting.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:03 am

DAVE667 wrote:Thoughts?

Take your 2:2 and get the f*ck out of boxing. Get yourself a decent well paid job whereby you won't get your head kicked in, be ridiculed on the internet or have to slog your guts out for a pay packet that you could comfortably earn sat behind a desk. Realistically, Clev is a Euro level fighter and I can't see there being to much dosh in it for him.

The STEFFAN's of this world will always love him and I've no particular axe to grind with him but it's time he called it quits lest he become the whipping boy for any half decent fighter with a bit of ambition

didn't he get a 2;2 in maths?
what is he going to be? a teacher on 30k? it would take him years to earn what he made on saturday.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:17 am

OasisBFC wrote:

what is he going to be? a teacher on 30k? it would take him years to earn what he made on saturday.
He'll find his purses dramatically reduced after that fight and it's doubtful whether or not he has the desire, ability or following to make it worth his while. He's lost to a very good fighter in Kovalev but the fact an old Bernard Hopkins was able to to the distances as well as withstand that 12 round onslaught shows the level Nathan is at. Bellew is many things but a genuine World beater and possible ATG he aint. Cleverly's desire for the game has gone and he's likely to get badly hurt just going through the motions.

Now granted he might get stabbed with a compass but I still think he needs to get out of boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

Do teachers only get 30K ???.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

Yeah but they get the pick of all the young girls which apparently makes up for it

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:16 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Yeah but they get the pick of all the young girls which apparently makes up for it

What do the Male teachers get ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Yeah but they get the pick of all the young girls which apparently makes up for it

What do the Male teachers get ??

About 10 years and a life time on the sex offenders register...love the irony of a teacher having to be on a register

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

After 27 years.........I'd sign any register to get out....

That reminds me Papillon is on this weekend..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up...another classic film my wife will sneer at and I won't be able to record cos she's filled the BT box up with cr*p again

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:

He'll find his purses dramatically reduced after that fight and it's doubtful whether or not he has the desire, ability or following to make it worth his while. He's lost to a very good fighter in Kovalev but the fact an old Bernard Hopkins was able to to the distances as well as withstand that 12 round onslaught shows the level Nathan is at. Bellew is many things but a genuine World beater and possible ATG he aint. Cleverly's desire for the game has gone and he's likely to get badly hurt just going through the motions.

Now granted he might get stabbed with a compass but I still think he needs to get out of boxing

quitting the game that earns him more money than he could make in any other profession - world beater or not, must be tough.
99% of boxers aren't world class but they carry on regardless. he's got some decent nights in him yet, just likely not on the same level he's used to.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:54 pm

OasisBFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:

quitting the game that earns him more money than he could make in any other profession - world beater or not, must be tough.
99% of boxers aren't world class but they carry on regardless. he's got some decent nights in him yet, just likely not on the same level he's used to.

Wouldn't be so bad If Cleverley had a market............But he's a boring personality with a boring style that stinks places out !!

Now he's took the money and ran in a non title fight.........Where is he going to go...and...WTF cares ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 28 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

Clev should retire. I am more into being a pro boxer than he is.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down