The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly vs Big Mac: Good for Both?

+16
1weight1champ
Sugar Boy Sweetie
dublfcynwa
TRUSSMAN66
Knowsit17
eddyfightfan
Young_Towzer
Day V Lately
Small Time
School Project
WelshDevilRob
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
Union Cane
coxy0001
Valero's Conscience
20 posters

Go down

Cleverly vs Big Mac:  Good for Both? Empty Cleverly vs Big Mac: Good for Both?

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

Regardless of the comments from Cleverly's camp, he won't be fighting Hopkins, Pascal, Cloud and Dawson any time soon so IMO he should consider the Enzo fight.

I know it's a risky fight for Cleverly as Enzo carries a punch but if he calls out the other guys and doesn't fight them he would salvage some respect by fighting a national rival, which will garner publicity in the UK and make him some good money.

For Enzo it'll obviously mean a big pay day, has nothing to lose and importantly he isn't going to suffer another heavy KO, which he can't offered to sustain.

I don't think Enzo deserves it and if it happened Cleverly will most likely be blasted for fighting a 'shot' fighter but how else will him and Warren justify not fighting the big names at LHW, unless they have something to hype like against Enzo?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Cleverly vs Big Mac:  Good for Both? Empty Re: Cleverly vs Big Mac: Good for Both?

Post by coxy0001 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

Not sure how it's a risk for Cleverly as all he's got to do is merely create a touch of wind by flapping a hook within 10ft of Enzo's chin and he'll be rendered unconcious.

Enzo reminds me of the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

Still makes me cry with laughter

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Cleverly vs Big Mac:  Good for Both? Empty Re: Cleverly vs Big Mac: Good for Both?

Post by Union Cane Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

Could be a good fight, after all Enzo is unbeaten at LHW.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

Can't stress enough how strongly against a Cleverly-Maccarinelli fight I'd be.

To call him 'shot' is an understatement and Warren, I hope, will know better than to match Cleverly with Enzo, knowing that it's a fight from which no good can come. Cleverly's career and standing in the estimations of many is likely to take a down turn, Maccarinelli once again would be reminded just how far away he is from being world class and, if anything, it would only make Cleverly a less credible opponent for the likes of Hopkins, Pascal or Cloud.

If Cleverly wants a domestic showdown for his WBO 175 lb, then Bellew is the route to take, not Maccarinelli.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Not sure how it's a risk for Cleverly as all he's got to do is merely create a touch of wind by flapping a hook within 10ft of Enzo's chin and he'll be rendered unconcious.

Laugh

Enzo looks mad, has anyone seen him recently. Looked unheathly gaunt!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:35 pm

I'm around 175lbs at present and i reckon i'd put up more of a fight than Enzo.

Shot is an understatement, could get killed

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:39 pm

It just might be the safest route for Enzo if he decides to still fight and is allowed to as Cleverly IMO doesn't have much power and with Enzo coming down a weight, this would save him from more sever punishment than other potential fights.

If Bellow with Warren? If so then a good chance, wasn't he the guy who was meant to step in on late notice and fight Cleverly and got hostile with him at the press conference but didn't make weight? If so then I guess the fight will hype well.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

Valero

Shall we also put Michael Moorer in with him? I mean he's shot and hasn't got a chin

Why be so keen on the "safe route" - we as fans should be demanding he tests himself rather than go up against someone whose punch resistance has gone so far he's getting knocked sh**less in every fight.

If he wants a domestic tune-up then why not Bellew?

Please drop this safest route tosh though, does my chuffing head in that people think we should be sodding ok with gimme fights now they're at world level.

FFS!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

Coxy,

I hate it that champs avoid the best and wrote an article a short while ago saying that, but I don't think for a second Cleverly will fight the top guys which is annoying and therefore looking at it purely from the perspective he won't so as fall back was looking at Big Mac.

We'll wait until they announce Cleverly's next but you might find a shot Enzo is a better fight than who he's paired against!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

Enzo needs to get some wins and confidence back. There is also no way of knowing if he still packs power at the lighter weight.

The WBO Top 15 rankings are pretty awful and I'm sure Warren can find a winnable fight in there for Enzo. The fight is easy to market in wales and likely to generate a big crowd.

It will get made it just depends on Enzo.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

If Cleverly fights Enzo over Bellew then i will be forced to cross "that" bridge into "that" part of the UK (least it's not "that" Northern part") and give Clev a good old fashioned kicking.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

I think the issue here is that Enzo is 3 - 2 in his last 5, but his only wins came from tomato cans, presumably to boost his confidence, I don't know how many fans would be willing to see it. Personally I wouldn't wanna see him anywhere near a ring after the last losses we've seen. BUT Enzo would have a decent chance against Cleverly... especially given Clevs clear disregard of a defence at times.

I don't see Warren putting Enzo in against Clev as its probably not in his interest unless he can market it the same way Groves DeGale was. But both of them are under Warren and I honestly can't see Warren putting his old workhorse in with a newly crowned Champ (and how many champs has warren got at the mo?).

Silly risk for Warren.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

It's a lose lose for Clev, that said I'm not so sure why Bellew is be touted around.....now that Frank isn't desperate whats Bellew done thats warranted a crack at the Champ????? I'd rather see Enzo Vs Bellew with the winner going on to face Clev....at least that would be the of the loud mouth day do doe don’t day doe.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:20 pm

The longer Clev goes without namimg an opponent the more I think they are waiting to see if Bellew gets past Mckenzie.

Well done small time, heaven forbid Bellew get metioned without someone coming out with some anti-scouse stereotypes (probably shoudnt have mentioned stereos an given you ammo!!).

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

Day V Lately wrote:The longer Clev goes without namimg an opponent the more I think they are waiting to see if Bellew gets past Mckenzie.

Well done small time, heaven forbid Bellew get metioned without someone coming out with some anti-scouse stereotypes (probably shoudnt have mentioned stereos an given you ammo!!).

It's not a stereotype, it's an observation, he is both loud mouthed and a scouse. The fact that he's a thieving, dirty.......I'm joking I'm joking Very Happy

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

he didnt help himself with the Everton trackie to be fair.

He got a lot of stick for simply standing up for himself if you ask me though, and if he beats Mckenzie in better fashion than last time he's more deserving of a shot than Enzo imo.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm

if they sanction this its a joke, Enzo has done nothing at the weight, hasn't even had a fight for a kick off, then to look at the guys who he's being getting sparked off, the Afolabi KO came 2 years ago and the writing was on the wall there, Maccarinelli battered him then started walking into big shots, chin is too suspect, Cleverly would stop him within 4 rounds imo. I like Enzo he's a nice guy, don't take liberties and let him in with Clev

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

He got a lot of stick for simply standing up for himself if you ask me though, and if he beats Mckenzie in better fashion than last time he's more deserving of a shot than Enzo imo.
I'm a big Cleverly fan but he went on like a right idiot at the press conference imo, saying i'll take you outside now, no need for that, Bellew was well within his rights to do what he did, Bellew is a quality boxer, you don't win ABA titles and box for England for nout, i was at the ABA final when he destroyed Dickinson with a bad, bad injury as well, he's a man of steel.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

First time I saw him was at a England v USA match, he looked good that night young towzer, though a lot heavier, think it was at heavy in fact.

He's a tough honest lad who will fight anyone, can box a bit aswell, my only worry is maybe there was some truth in what Clev said about his legs being gone at LH.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

think enzo should leave his ring days behind him, he suffered some heavy KO's and his confidence will never be the same.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Day V Lately wrote:he didnt help himself with the Everton trackie to be fair.

For me thats a fairly big If.....I think we can all agree it was a very premature ending to the first one in which Mckenzie was more than holding his own, and I've been looking forward to the re-match ever since. I personally don't see what all the fuss is about with Bellew and the fact that he's supposed to have dynamite in either hand is proving to be a bit of a myth. If he goes in again Clev I can't help but see him getting schooled and probably stopped (not to say Clev can bang, we know he can't, but more like Bellew leaves himself so open).

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

I'd fancy Bellew to be a bit smarter than in the first fight, thought the stoppage wasnt that terrible, glad to see a re-match though. If he does get through it in decent fashion, I think its a legit fight for Clev if he cant get one the big boys in the division, domestic dust up an all that.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Good for neither as I see it, Cleverly learns nothing from it and gets rightly accused of ducking the real challenges in favour of a glass-chinned outsider not even natural at the weight and Enzo probably loses the use of his legs again.

I'm Welsh and I don't want to see it. I get the feeling Enzo knows this could be the final big fight he has a remote chance of getting, there's simply nothing in it for Clev.

Bellew's the logical step for almost everyone involved, including the fans after that build-up for nothing.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

I think Enzo is tempting fate...He's already been beaten at cruiser by pulverising knockouts..and now he wants to dehydrate himself and come in lighter when he's a natural cruiser..

Worried about him.....

a) because he might get severely injured.

b) He's so rubbish Cleverly will humiliate him anyway..

wants to forget it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Enzo is tempting fate...He's already been beaten at cruiser by pulverising knockouts..and now he wants to dehydrate himself and come in lighter when he's a natural cruiser..

Worried about him.....

a) because he might get severely injured.

b) He's so rubbish Cleverly will humiliate him anyway..

wants to forget it.

It's a good point, but what if he boilt down to LH and by the time of the fight when he's rehydrated he is walking in at 185/190? that would be a nightmare for any Light Heavy, yes Enzo has a suspect chin but he always seems to work well until a punch is landed on him.

If he was less cavalier by LOOKING for the knockout and the bombs and less willing to impress the crowds he would have (potentially) had some wins under him. At LH, if he can condition himself well, which he seemed to have done after Haye almost took him apart, he could do well at European level.

That said, only the sicko's really want to see him in the ring again. Everytime he's knocked out looks like it's taken years off his life... especially the freakish way his head seems detached from his neck :/

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Not sure how it's a risk for Cleverly as all he's got to do is merely create a touch of wind by flapping a hook within 10ft of Enzo's chin and he'll be rendered unconcious.

Enzo reminds me of the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

Still makes me cry with laughter

Laugh Laugh Laugh
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

First time I saw him was at a England v USA match, he looked good that night young towzer, though a lot heavier, think it was at heavy in fact.

He's a tough honest lad who will fight anyone, can box a bit aswell, my only worry is maybe there was some truth in what Clev said about his legs being gone at LH.
///////////////////////////
he was ringside when i boxed a lad from his gym on a rotunda show a few years ago in Liverpool, was very down to earth, mind you that was before he became a contender in pro boxing haha!, he was much bigger he did used to be an heavy, boiled himself down to 12.7. And his legs look very skinny at the weight, Cleverly's right there, i'm a big believer in power coming from the calves as well, look at Pacquiao.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

Please drop this safest route tosh though, does my chuffing head in that people think we should be sodding ok with gimme fights now they're at world level.
/////////////////////
i agree, that's why i wouldn't dream of paying £15 to watch Khan v Judah, especially when Mitchell v Murray, Chisora v Fury are on normal sky and normal tv, not as good fighters maybe, but much, much better and even fights.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

Enzo weighed 197lb for the haye fight, which was typical of his CW career. He has been brutally KO'D 4 times in the last 3 years. On what planet does he or anyone looking after him think boiling off 20+lb at this stage of his career can possibly be a good idea? Warren should do him a favour and drop him for his own good. A fight vs Clev would be a joke. After the needle and hype generated by the Bellew pressser Clev surely has to fight him as a voluntary defence?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1weight1champ Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm

I think the most likely fight is enzo vs bellew if I'm honest they're both at the same level. Bellew is strong but so, so limited and should not be sharing the ring with any world champion for the simple reason he hasn't earned the right to. Then again cleverly has took a backward step since beat murrat and isn't worthy of being called a world champion, not even close to the top guns at LHW. Based on the weekends action could you realy see cleverly sharing a ring with glen johnson? Who is ranked 1 place above him by ring magazine but the gap between them seem's vast on what I've seen

1weight1champ

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:48 pm

Enzo should really retire.
However, if he chooses to continue than it'll be better for him if he goes against light punchers like Cleverley. He still may not win, but at least he won't get badly hurt in the process.
He should avoid heavy hitters at all costs.
Same rule applies to Jones Jr.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

We don't like losers over there...which is why I don't like debating with you Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:46 pm

Cracking gym the rotunda, towzer, yeh I've met him a couple of times and he's always seemed a good normal lad to me. I suspect Bellew may well make the move to cruiser, but the worry there is the same for Enzo comin down, apart from movin up to heavy, going up or down fro cruiser is a lot of weight compared to most division jumps, I worry for Enzo.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:49 pm

Bellew is not big enough for cruiser....You want to weigh 205 and get down ideally......He's a natural light heavy for me.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

Thats my thinking Truss, im not sure he's big enough, but if he is struggling to make LH, thats the only place he can turn to, and its a big leap. Having said this, we only have a throw away comment from Clev to base any of this on.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:05 pm

He finds it hard to take a 175 pounders rap though doesn't he..He's tasted canvas regularly...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue 14 Jun 2011, 5:39 am

Cleverly should go in against the best at LHW. The division is weak anyway. That is how Hopkins has managed to stick around as long as he has.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:Cleverly should go in against the best at LHW. The division is weak anyway. That is how Hopkins has managed to stick around as long as he has.

Or because he is a brilliant fighter.

I think I'll go with my theory.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

Hard not to ridicule Clev if he fight Macca, Macca has not only been ko'd but i think 3 of them are KTFO ko of the year type knockouts. The man need to stop, Clev has no power but even he would prob drop Macca when drained at LH. Macca stop

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
ian_jamsie wrote:Cleverly should go in against the best at LHW. The division is weak anyway. That is how Hopkins has managed to stick around as long as he has.

Or because he is a brilliant fighter.

I think I'll go with my theory.

Yes but he is way old and well over the hill.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down