The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

+12
Haddie-nuff
Calder106
lags72
bogbrush
coolpixel
laverfan
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
Silver
HM Murdock
kingraf
hawkeye
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  Empty French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

Stan causing trouble again French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  1347041234

The French Davis Cup team reportedly cornered Stan Wawrinka in a bathroom for a ‘discussion’ after some of Wawrinka’s comments during the Davis Cup final were felt to be disrespectful.

The incident was brought to widespread attention when Marc Rosset, a former Swiss player, posted some Tweets expressing surprise that, essentially, the French could dish it out but not take it. The Tweets have since been deleted and his account has been closed.

Matters apparently came to a head at the official dinner at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Lille. L’Equipe reports that Wawrinka was having a quiet conversation with Julien Benneteau in the bathroom, as one does, when the rest of the French team entered and – led by Gasquet – criticized Wawrinka for his comments over the weekend.

Gael Monfils, who is good friends with Wawrinka, apparently intervened to calm things down and Wawrinka ultimately apologized, concluding a discussion described by Benneteau as ‘open and frank’.

L’Equipe also notes that while French captain Arnaud Clement praised Federer for ‘class on the court and in the media’, he did not mention Wawrinka in the same context.

Wawrinka’s critical attitude towards the French team, it is suggested, is rooted in comments made by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga after Wawrinka won the Australian Open, implying that Wawrinka’s win was something of a fluke.

‘He has something I don't, certainly. I'd like to have been in his place at that moment,’ Tsonga said during Monte Carlo in April (translation via Mark Nixon). ‘Now, if we had to exchange careers ... hmm ... not sure. It was only the first time he made the semis at a Slam. Me, I've played 6-7 semis. It should have been me, but that's just the way it is. If he got it, it's because he deserved it.’

‘I see what’s happening and I read things,’ Wawrinka said in response, admitting that Tsonga’s comments had bothered him (translation via Mark Nixon). ‘He said he deserved to win a Slam … What I think is that it’s not a question of deserving. You have to do it.

http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/french-davis-cup-team-confronted-stan-wawrinka-after-disrespectful-comments-during-davis-cup-final-20141125-0000/

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  Empty Re: French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:34 pm

Doesn't it just highlight the mental fragility with these French players!

Jeez. Play hard or go home!

Back to top Go down

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  Empty Re: French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

^ Ha ha! Do you think the French team are cry babies?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

Not so much cry babies, but if I was being called under question by an opponent I would say that would further light a rocket under my rear to go out and beat the guy on court!

What was handbags at dawn really going to solve for the French? Tsonga had his say, then Stan had his. Let them battle it out on court.

Credit to Stan. Talk about psyching out your opponent Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm

To be honest, Tsonga has a point. I mean, he has made a handful of semi finals, has wins over Federer and Nadal in slams. If you asked me, I'd say he's overall the better player... problem is you're not gonna win a slam thinking that "the big four are just too good".

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:02 pm

^ At the risk of making people cry I would say big three Run

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:27 pm

hawkeye wrote:^ At the risk of making people cry I would say big three Run
I'm stunned that you would say three rather than two!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

So...

The French team respond to Wawrinka's claim that they can dish it out but can't take it by getting annoyed and having a heated confrontation with him in a bathroom.

Thereby proving they can dish it out but can't take it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

Progress is being made!

And this is hilarious. I'm waiting for Stan to escalate things with a horse head next.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

Silver wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Progress is being made!

And this is hilarious. I'm waiting for Stan to escalate things with a horse head next.

Not so fast Very Happy The GOAT debate has now been put up there as a sticky and I would limit that to FEDAL king This article is about another of Wawrinka's fisticuffs. Although considering how frequent they are becoming it's perhaps only a matter of time before Stans fisticuffs are granted their own sticky boxing

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Silver wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Progress is being made!

Not so fast Very Happy The GOAT debate has now been put up there as a sticky and I would limit that to FEDAL king This article is about another of Wawrinka's fisticuffs. Although considering how frequent they are becoming it's perhaps only a matter of time before Stans fisticuffs are granted their own sticky boxing

Personally I would limit it to Fedpras. Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm

Its interesting why making this distinction is important to you. I think everyone can agree that the other three have greater career achievements than Murray but presumably you can also agree that his achievements over the last 6 years (2 slams, 5 other finals, 9 masters) dwarf every other current player?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:08 pm

July 2012 - August 2013: The Murray Era Wink

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Personally I would limit it to Fedpras. Run

I'll meet you up there in that sticky boxing Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

Born Slippy wrote:

Its interesting why making this distinction is important to you. I think everyone can agree that the other three have greater career achievements than Murray but presumably you can also agree that his achievements over the last 6 years (2 slams, 5 other finals, 9 masters) dwarf every other current player?

Yes Murray has done well but not well enough to be in the same group as the big three and more specifically to represent the sort of slam block in kingraffs comment (quoted below) that I was responding to. Especially considering Stan has won the last 2 slam meetings with Murray

kingraf wrote:To be honest, Tsonga has a point. I mean, he has made a handful of semi finals, has wins over Federer and Nadal in slams. If you asked me, I'd say he's overall the better player... problem is you're not gonna win a slam thinking that "the big four are just too good".

Can we get back to talking about Stan's fisticuffs?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

Tsonga's comments are fine, so are Warwinka's. Just honest truth from both, no suger coating whatsoever and maybe very slightly ill advised from a PR standpoint.

Yes, Tsonga has had the better career, but Warwinka is a better player than he is. Warwinka's level this year has never been matched by Tsonga. Of course, the thing is, Warwinka has only had this level for one year, two maybe.

Talking a lot about semi finals but Tsonga has what 2 masters vs 1 masters and a slam?

This is a minor story. Mirkagate was more interesting, as was the final of the Davis Cup itself. Move on.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:30 pm

I do think it was worth posting the article though.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

hawkeye wrote:‘I see what’s happening and I read things,’ Wawrinka said in response, admitting that Tsonga’s comments had bothered him (translation via Mark Nixon). ‘He said he deserved to win a Slam … What I think is that it’s not a question of deserving. You have to do it.

And Wawrinka did it in style.

Tsonga's demons are his to fight with. He can come over to v2 from some therapy, if he wants.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

Silver wrote:July 2012 - August 2013: The Murray Era Wink

I think you'll find that February 2013 - June 2013 was very much part of the Nadal era. socal might have something to say about what happened between July 2012 and February 2013 too Wink

Sorry for straying from topic again...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

LF surely Tsonga will need therapy after he visits v2?

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:37 pm

laverfan wrote:
hawkeye wrote:‘I see what’s happening and I read things,’ Wawrinka said in response, admitting that Tsonga’s comments had bothered him (translation via Mark Nixon). ‘He said he deserved to win a Slam … What I think is that it’s not a question of deserving. You have to do it.

And Wawrinka did it in style.

Tsonga's demons are his to fight with. He can come over to v2 from some therapy, if he wants.

I'd be fine with Tsonga joining us as long as he doesn't bring that big bully Wawrinka Run

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:46 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:

Yes Murray has done well but not well enough to be in the same group as the big three and more specifically to represent the sort of slam block in kingraffs comment (quoted below) that I was responding to. Especially considering Stan has won the last 2 slam meetings with Murray

kingraf wrote:To be honest, Tsonga has a point. I mean, he has made a handful of semi finals, has wins over Federer and Nadal in slams. If you asked me, I'd say he's overall the better player... problem is you're not gonna win a slam thinking that "the big four are just too good".

Can we get back to talking about Stan's fisticuffs?

Stan's beaten Novak and Nadal in slams recently as well. Anyway, KR was referring to Tsonga. Since the first defeat to Stan in 2010 Murray has lost three times in slams to non big 4 players (even despite his back issues) so it seems he's a pretty big barrier for the likes of Tsonga.

As for the article, seems like a storm in a teacup. Stan seems to like to speak his mind and it seems a fair comment in the circumstances.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

So Stan argues with Federer about his wife and a week later is 'coincidentally' accosted by a gang of top professionals to sort him out.

And you think this has something to do with the Davis Cup?

People just don't understand the grip Roger has on this sport.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm

^ What are you insinuating bogbrush? That the French Davis cup team accosted Stan in the bathroom in order to defend Federer's wife? Yikes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:04 pm

bogbrush wrote:So Stan argues with Federer about his wife and a week later is 'coincidentally' accosted by a gang of top professionals to sort him out.

Methinks there's more than a grain of truth in what you say bb.

It was commonly known that only a fool would mess with Frank Sinatra. He always had a lot of 'people' ready to do his bidding.

Stan - you're a great guy, and we all love ya.

But ......a word of advice : Don't walk down any quiet streets alone after dark warning

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:22 pm

Born Slippy wrote:

Stan's beaten Novak and Nadal in slams recently as well. Anyway, KR was referring to Tsonga. Since the first defeat to Stan in 2010 Murray has lost three times in slams to non big 4 players (even despite his back issues) so it seems he's a pretty big barrier for the likes of Tsonga.

As for the article, seems like a storm in a teacup. Stan seems to like to speak his mind and it seems a fair comment in the circumstances.

If you want to debate that Murray represents the same barrier in slams as the big three then perhaps it should be in another article?

Yes Stan beat Novak but in his asterisked win over Nadal at the AO (that also involved back issues) he also got his knickers in a twist. Maybe John McEnroe should have been on bathroom watch after that match Headscratch

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:24 pm

lags72 wrote:

But ......a word of advice : Don't walk down any quiet streets alone after dark warning

or walk the dark corridors of the O2... or even visit the bathroom ghost

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

coolpixel wrote:LF surely Tsonga will need therapy after he visits v2?

v2 also offers post-therapy PTSD therapy. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:48 pm

bogbrush wrote:So Stan argues with Federer about his wife and a week later is 'coincidentally' accosted by a gang of top professionals to sort him out.

Led by that well known tough guy Gasquet. I bet he was really scared Smile . If the French, other than Monfils (the peacemaker), had shown a bit more of this fighting spirit on court then it might have been a closer final.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:14 pm

Never mind Stan you cant do anything right at the moment..they are always having a dig at Rafa with his "fake" humility.. you are ready to to speak your mind  and not be a "cry baby"  ????Headscratch

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:31 pm

H-n, your resourcefulness and determination to introduce Nadal to virtually every thread, irrespective of subject matter, deserves special recognition. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder !

I have a hunch that if we began a discussion on club players aged under-10 from Devon & Cornwall, you would somehow find a way to give Rafa a mention Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:35 pm

Yes, HN deserves an award for best looking Nadal fan, so eager to inject us with Nadal hormones.

HE seems to have moved to a unseen level of imagination and role play, which she does superbly.

Keep it up ladies clap
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:38 pm

Wawrinka would demolish Gasquet... No wonder he made sure he came with back up.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:43 pm

Who's the one player on tour you wouldn't want to mess with? I'd say Berdych but would put Stan a close second.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

lags72 wrote:H-n, your resourcefulness and determination to introduce Nadal to virtually every thread, irrespective of subject matter, deserves special recognition. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder !

I have a hunch that if we began a discussion on club players aged under-10 from Devon & Cornwall, you would somehow find a way to give Rafa a mention Wink

oh so very droll.. lags.. tell me what thread since Rafa's absence have I been the one to introduce his name in fact I think when we have been discussing things lately I have been the one to ask why comparisons are being made with Nadal.. so back up your accusation if you dont mind. I was illustrating the double standards on 606 when Rafa's humility has been the subject of criticism and now Stan his being criticized for speaking his mind
Im actually batting for Watrwrinka he seems to be the object of criticism since the Fedrinka gate affair.

And since you mention it I lived in Devon for 28yrs and still know  some of the kids of friends of mine there I most probaby would have Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

Berdych? A light breeze would be enough to blow that lanky streak of pi$$ over!

I would say the one guy on tour I wouldn't want to mess with would be Youzhny. Anyone that takes a racquet to his own head deserves a pass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:49 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Berdych? A light breeze would be enough to blow that lanky streak of pi$$ over!

I would say the one guy on tour I wouldn't want to mess with would be Youzhny. Anyone that takes a racquet to his own head deserves a pass.

I agree having been in the military I would think he knows a thing or two..How about Dr ivo..?? lets face it your feet wouldn't touch the ground Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:53 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Berdych? A light breeze would be enough to blow that lanky streak of pi$$ over!

I agree having been in the military I would think he knows a thing or two..How about  Dr ivo..?? lets face it your feet wouldn't touch the ground Laugh

Ivo? Well Goran set the bar high for temperamental for his country men. None have since come close! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm

Kei would give us some Bruce Lee quick can not see punches.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:55 pm

I don't know, Berdych looks a softie. Del Potro looks a little badass, but if I ever got into a fight with him, I'd flick his wrists so quick...

Youzhny does seem to possess the prerequisite amount of crazy to make for a guy you don't want to accidentally bump in a club
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:55 pm

Actually Youzhny probably would be my number 1, now that I think about it. I think Berdych is an imposing bloke although his bark is probably worse than his bite.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014, 7:58 pm

kingraf wrote:I don't know, Berdych looks a softie. Del Potro looks a little badass, but if I ever got into a fight with him, I'd flick his wrists so quick...

Youzhny does seem to possess the prerequisite amount of crazy to make for a guy you don't want to accidentally bump in a club

Ive always thought of Delpo as a gentle giant.. I think he might be too much of a Mum's boy to be too aggressive...but who knows when needs must and all that !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm

Monfils has the eyes of a madman.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:04 pm

Youzhny is definitely the guy you wouldn't want to cross but I reckon Troicki has some crazy in him too.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:06 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Monfils has the eyes of a madman.  

Thats probably because he is a madman Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:12 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Youzhny is definitely the guy you wouldn't want to cross but I reckon Troicki has some crazy in him too.

I used to think that before his ban....then I realised you need a brain to have some crazy in you

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:15 pm

Hey, Haddie, I had no idea you had such strong Devonian links. I actually referenced Devon & Cornwall at random, so that really is some coincidence ! But undoubtedly a nice part of the world, which I get to visit at least a couple of times a year.

And as if that's not enough, rest assured that - just like you - I too am 'batting' for Stan. As I said in my last post, he is a great guy, which is exactly why I wouldn't want anything untoward to happen to him - whether at the hands of those pesky French guys, or indeed anyone else.

Stan has had a tremendous season, and fully deserves all the rewards & praise that have come his way after so many years of a dedicated, workmanlike, no-nonsense approach to the game. I was lucky enough to be in Melbourne back in January to witness first-hand his tremendously exciting run at the AO, and to see him take his first Slam in some style. And I have already booked my flights to travel out there again in just a few weeks time for the 2015 Championship when he will defend his hard-earned title. Come on Stan Very Happy

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Silver wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Progress is being made!

Its one man show so far, so its not even a debate. laughing

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:23 pm

lags72 wrote:Hey, Haddie, I had no idea you had such strong Devonian links. I actually referenced Devon & Cornwall at random, so that really is some coincidence ! But undoubtedly a nice part of the world, which I get to visit at least a couple of times a year.

And as if that's not enough, rest assured that - just like you - I too am 'batting' for Stan. As I said in my last post, he is a great guy, which is exactly why I wouldn't want anything untoward to happen to him - whether at the hands of those pesky French guys, or indeed anyone else.

Stan has had a tremendous season, and fully deserves all the rewards & praise that have come his way after so many years of a dedicated, workmanlike, no-nonsense approach to the game. I was lucky enough to be in Melbourne back in January to witness first-hand his tremendously exciting run at the AO, and to see him take his first Slam in some style. And I have already booked my flights to travel out there again in just a few weeks time for the 2015 Championship when he will defend his hard-earned title. Come on Stan Very Happy

Yes I lived and worked in North Devon for all those years and it is truly God's country.  I still have many friends there and if ever the need arose I would return to that part (and that part only ) of the UK albeit I was not born there.

Like you I have a lot of respect for Stan he has a backbone that goes along with the style of tennis he plays.. good for him that he was prepared to stand up for what he believes in.. the French are not beyond upsetting a few people when they have a mind.  
Have a good time at the AO... I HOPE THAT RAFA WILL BE PLAYING  ...... laughing Vamos Rafa....(now you can say it !!!) Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:38 pm

Thanks H-n.

I'm sure Rafa will be there. I have clear memories of struggling for a 'viewing spot' to watch him (and, later the same day, Murray and Djokovic too) practice for around 45 mins or so, on an outside court in temperatures touching 42c during the first week. It was hot enough just watching, and must have been truly draining to practice (and of course play) with their sort of drills & intensity.

Now look what you've done ! You've got ME talking about Rafa - and on Stan's thread ......... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, back to CL football......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next