The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

+12
Haddie-nuff
Calder106
lags72
bogbrush
coolpixel
laverfan
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
Silver
HM Murdock
kingraf
hawkeye
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  - Page 2 Empty French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

Post by hawkeye Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:25

First topic message reminder :

Stan causing trouble again French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  - Page 2 1347041234

The French Davis Cup team reportedly cornered Stan Wawrinka in a bathroom for a ‘discussion’ after some of Wawrinka’s comments during the Davis Cup final were felt to be disrespectful.

The incident was brought to widespread attention when Marc Rosset, a former Swiss player, posted some Tweets expressing surprise that, essentially, the French could dish it out but not take it. The Tweets have since been deleted and his account has been closed.

Matters apparently came to a head at the official dinner at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Lille. L’Equipe reports that Wawrinka was having a quiet conversation with Julien Benneteau in the bathroom, as one does, when the rest of the French team entered and – led by Gasquet – criticized Wawrinka for his comments over the weekend.

Gael Monfils, who is good friends with Wawrinka, apparently intervened to calm things down and Wawrinka ultimately apologized, concluding a discussion described by Benneteau as ‘open and frank’.

L’Equipe also notes that while French captain Arnaud Clement praised Federer for ‘class on the court and in the media’, he did not mention Wawrinka in the same context.

Wawrinka’s critical attitude towards the French team, it is suggested, is rooted in comments made by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga after Wawrinka won the Australian Open, implying that Wawrinka’s win was something of a fluke.

‘He has something I don't, certainly. I'd like to have been in his place at that moment,’ Tsonga said during Monte Carlo in April (translation via Mark Nixon). ‘Now, if we had to exchange careers ... hmm ... not sure. It was only the first time he made the semis at a Slam. Me, I've played 6-7 semis. It should have been me, but that's just the way it is. If he got it, it's because he deserved it.’

‘I see what’s happening and I read things,’ Wawrinka said in response, admitting that Tsonga’s comments had bothered him (translation via Mark Nixon). ‘He said he deserved to win a Slam … What I think is that it’s not a question of deserving. You have to do it.

http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/french-davis-cup-team-confronted-stan-wawrinka-after-disrespectful-comments-during-davis-cup-final-20141125-0000/

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  - Page 2 Empty Re: French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 20:41

lags72 wrote:Thanks H-n.

I'm sure Rafa will be there. I have clear memories of struggling for a 'viewing spot' to watch him (and, later the same day, Murray and Djokovic too) practice for around 45 mins or so, on an outside court in temperatures touching 42c during the first week. It was hot enough just watching, and must have been truly draining to practice (and of course play) with their sort of drills & intensity.

Now look what you've done ! You've got ME talking about Rafa - and on Stan's thread ......... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, back to CL football......

Laugh Laugh Love him or dislike him ... but you cannot ignore him Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments  - Page 2 Empty Re: French Davis Cup Team Cornered Wawrinka After Disrespectful Comments

Post by CAS Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 22:10

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=W367&oId=T786

I really don't think there much in it all to be honest, I would say Tsonga has edged it as he has been at the top for longer but their careers aren't done. Its not quite enough for Tsonga to say he wouldn't swap careers, if you made me choose I would pick Stans. World Number 3, Slam winner, Masters champion, Davis Cup. Sign me up!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 1:41

Tsonga wouldn't swap his career for Stan's Slam.

That's the story of these French players.

No fricking burning determination

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 2:18

At one point Wawrinka had a 'bromance' going with Paire, IIRC. It is strange to see such a falling out with the French players. chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 22:20

lags72 wrote:H-n, your resourcefulness and determination to introduce Nadal to virtually every thread, irrespective of subject matter, deserves special recognition. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder !

I have a hunch that if we began a discussion on club players aged under-10 from Devon & Cornwall, you would somehow find a way to give Rafa a mention Wink
And with good reason! The age of players beating Rafa these days is dropping all the time.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 22:56

bogbrush wrote:
lags72 wrote:H-n, your resourcefulness and determination to introduce Nadal to virtually every thread, irrespective of subject matter, deserves special recognition. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder !

I have a hunch that if we began a discussion on club players aged under-10 from Devon & Cornwall, you would somehow find a way to give Rafa a mention Wink
And with good reason! The age of players beating Rafa these days is dropping all the time.

Thats why Federer cant manage it then Whistle

Last edited by laverfan on Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 3:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit for quoting - LF.)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2