The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reaction to the big bills

+10
kingraf
trottb
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Hammersmith harrier
Herman Jaeger
Dipper Brown
catchweight
Derbymanc
Strongback
wheelchair1991
14 posters

Go down

Reaction to the big bills Empty Reaction to the big bills

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 30 Nov 2014, 1:38 am

Having just sat through 'bad blood' and it finishing way past 1 in the morning, i just thought id ask your thoughts on comparing the two big boxing bills over the last two weekson boxnation and sky.
I didnt pay for the sky card heard the fights on the radio though and the whole card to me seemed poor, Waren put together the best card he could and i was really looking forward to it however i come away feeling underwhelmed. BJS v Eubank was entertaining in parts and i also enjoyedWalsh v Sykes. However, the Gavin v Skeete fight was not entertaining but i supose that was to be expected given their respective fighting styles. Buglioni is in my view not even english title level yet he was poor and has seemed that way in all his fights ive seen, he lacks basics, Fury v Chisora was a one sided beatdown from beginning to end. Chisora should retire before he suffers anymore damage.

So given what we have seen which would you say was the better bill and where does the British boxing stand after these two 'massive' bills?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Reaction to the big bills Empty Re: Reaction to the big bills

Post by Strongback Sun 30 Nov 2014, 2:04 am

Both bills were let down badly by their respective main events.

Warren had more competitive fights on paper but the quality just isn't there. Hearn's model of having lots of stars but not in meaningful fights is equally as bad.

I think there is plenty of good UK talent but the promoters are very risk adverse leading to a lack of even match-ups.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 30 Nov 2014, 7:54 am

Both bills were good domestic bills but Warrens had the better boxing. I actually enjoyed the Skeete/Gavin fight but think I might be in the minority.

Think the promotors need to start throwing in some evenly matched domestic dust ups. Sick of everyone trying to protect the 0. Fight bums and having a 20-0 record means nothing whereas having a 10-10 record means a lot more if all of them are 50/50 fights (in my eyes anyway)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 30 Nov 2014, 7:58 am

Eubank needed a tougher test before last nights fight he was 18-0 fighting stiffs which is perhaps one of the reasoms he lost

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 30 Nov 2014, 9:49 am

I didnt watch the sky one - heard it was crap though.

Warrens bill was looked good on paper but was a disappointment. Saunders v Eubank stank for 6 rounds. The second half of the fight warmed up but the standard was surprisingly poor. Eubank didnt seem to offer much other than big off balance uppercuts with lots of grappling.

Fury boxed well and made a punchbag of Chisora. Surprisingly one sided and very dull. Fury boxed like he wasnt really interested and was going through the motions. Maybe he wanted rounds in the bag after inactivity or maybe he wasnt interested. I thought this fight was overcooked and there was a risk both fighters would be lacklustre. For a grudge match it was tame and felt like a sparring session. Chisora took a beating. Fury showed he some ability when he boxes to plan. He isnt the joke many take him for. His top 5 ranking in this sh1t heavyweight division is probably good value. I would actually like to see him in with Klitschko.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 30 Nov 2014, 11:09 am

I would also add, although the card was good on paper, I cant understand why Warren insisnts on these marathon events. The place was half empty for the main event because it ran hours over time and people had to leave for last transport home. Nobody wants to be getting out of a the arena at 2 am with nowhere to go. People are knackered by the main event and the atmosphere sounded total sh1te.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 30 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

Didn't see last night's so can't comment on the quality but what a logistical cockup! How did the event run so late that thousands had to leave before or during the main event?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 30 Nov 2014, 11:15 am

Much preferred the Warren card. Evenly matched on paper I much prefer that. Was on one of those grainy pictures so hard to pick out the punches at times but...

The question id like to put is do you think they are both either Upper European(fringe World Class,) or both indeed World Class?

I don't mind anyone having Saunders hold on by the skin of his teeth for a point, or if you had Eubanks dominance in the second half and heavier shots taking a razor thin nod.

I liked the way Saunders offered the rematch though, showed himself to be a gent in my eyes. close sd that's the right thing to do.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 30 Nov 2014, 11:16 am

It happens consistently on Warren cards. I dont know why. Its like he goes out of his way to make them run as long as possible. Maybe he has some deal with the boozers on site or something. I know a few people who went to Framptons last fight and said something similar. It was so late by the end of the fight that you pretty much have to go home and if you are relying on public transport you are fcked.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

There wasn't a single stoppage until the main event was there which put it back a fair amount, most cards are set up expecting some early stoppages but there wasn't a single fight last night where I thought it would end with a KO.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

I watched both and felt that neither were very good and both dragged on far too long. Both we're let down by atrocious main events, two of the worst fights I've seen in years, and Sky and promotors have to think really carefully about what they determine is PPV. Having said that I heard Clev Bellew did 200k buys, which is very good. 

Eubank v BJS was probably the standout fight across the two cards I guess.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I watched both and felt that neither were very good and both dragged on far too long. Both we're let down by atrocious main events, two of the worst fights I've seen in years, and Sky and promotors have to think really carefully about what they determine is PPV. Having said that I heard Clev Bellew did 200k buys, which is very good. 

Eubank v BJS was probably the standout fight across the two cards I guess.

200K! They'll not be stopping it anytime soon then.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 30 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

Eubanks seems to have the athleticism required for the big time, with none of the skill. Having googled him a bit, I see he went all the way to national golden gloves US a year after he picked up some gloves. Sort of seems impossible for him to have gone that far on anything other than athleticism and belief, really. Might have given him the wrong impression on succeeding in the big time. He'll be back though. With Martínez all but out of the door, and Golovkin already 32, I'm sure that he'll be able to sneak,a world title reign
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 30 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

Eubank is obviously a very good fighter with skill and athleticism, but His father has not managed him well, the PR is poor and they think he is better than he is... Calling Degale out, a gold medalist a weight division above him making up sparing stories, and then treating BJS as some kind of bum, then we see the fight and while he gave as good as he got he was by no means a class above BJS and did not back up the arrogance. I think if he had a more experienced manager and kept quite while he worked his way up taking the right fights to help him progress then he would be in a much better position are more liked...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 30 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

I was disappointed in the Eubank/Saunders fight big time. They made each other look so ordinary. Eubanks corner is a bit of a joke shop.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 30 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

His Dad is also a joke. It appears the shots he took as a pro have finally caught up with him. Shame really.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:46 am

Two poor PPV events in a row (Saturday was available as a one-off PPV for £30), British boxing promoting is in the doldrums.....

Plug for my thread here: Smile

https://www.606v2.com/t56680-fall-out-from-saturday-s-bad-blood-event-appalling-feedback

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

I got Saturday's card for £12 (£12 a month contract which I'll now cancel).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

Lol yeh, exactly, couldn't believe someone said they were trying for it as a 'one-off' PPV!!

Still PPV, just a fiver cheaper than Sky's.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:28 pm

But you do get a whole month for £12 so much better value then sky's show in my opinion

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down