The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs. the welters

+7
titaniumjaw
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Hammersmith harrier
88Chris05
hampo17
ONETWOFOREVER
Coxy001
11 posters

Go down

Khan vs. the welters Empty Khan vs. the welters

Post by Coxy001 Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am

So, following on from a dominant victory over Alexander there has been a bit of the usual hyperbole express train boarding going on. Whilst I fully admit that Khan boxed to a very controlled game plan there's still another load of boxers 'ahead' of him in the rankings. How do you see him going? My thoughts below in reverse order.

5. Kell brook.

My main worry, if backing Brook who've I was leaning to before the fight at the weekend, is that Brook can have lapses during a fight where is punch output drops off the radar a bit. If, and it's a big if, he isn't able to buzz Khan then I would fear that Khan would simply get in to his own rhythm and suck Brook in to fighting his sort of fight. The other spin side is that Kell forces the fight and is prepared to get his whiskers tested by walking on to shots to get his own off. He would need to do more than simply paw the jab out and load up behind it, which was notable from Alexander at the weekend. This fight is too close to call, for me it is which guy is able to impose their will on the other guy which would mean Brook not quite having to rely on counterpunching as Khan is quicker and will potshot and raid his way to a points decision. If I had to back one I'd probably be picking Brook but wouldn't be putting anything on it.

4. Juan Manuel Marquez.

Able to trade and counter, now naturally fine at the weight. Naturally smaller than Khan and would suspect he'd struggle with the speed and jab coming from Khan for the opening exchanges before slowly turning the tide around to a very late (11th onwards) stoppage. Would suspect he may have to get off the canvas at some point. Feel that once he starts timing Khan's attacks then I'd expect him to put Khan down heavily, only big question is how much does he have left in the tank? Of all the names Khan is after this might be the best option of the lot when taking in to account a big marquee name.

3. Timothy Bradley.

Stylistically all wrong for Khan in my eyes. Not worried about throwing in the odd head led charge or getting downright rough and dirty. Would be on the front foot and can see him forcing Khan to open up as the latter goes behind on the scorecards due to going backwards/being outworked even if Bradley's stuff isn't the cleanest. However as shown against Prov he can be buzzed and buzzed badly, can't see Khan winning on points but wouldn't totally rule out Bradley walking on to something. Not a particularly big name and carries huge amounts of risk, one to avoid.

2. Manny Pacquiao.

The least winnable fight for me. Never stops throwing punches and most are meant with bad intent. Khan would have to box probably the most perfect fight to even stand a chance, mainly as I can't not see Pacman not landing at least one howitzer of a left hand at some point in the fight. Massive money spinner but gets taken out and in all probability inside the first half of the fight for me.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Slowing down with old age and at some point he has to lose, doesn't he? Struggle to see what bigger problem Khan poses than someone like a Canelo, Cotto or in terms of hand speed Mosley. Has speed and yes he may well nick the opening couple of rounds whilst Mayweather figures him out. Once he has a handle on Khan I expect a few rounds of counterpunching brilliance, sapping Khan's resolve and leaving him a bit clueless, before pressing the action against another bewildered opponent. Possible corner retirement but more likely to win a 118-110 sort of wide UD for me. No-one has really been able to figure out the defensive genius, and I can't see any greater cause for optimism when thinking the likes of Cotto/Alvarez couldn't find the magic key to consistently finding ways through.

Of all the fights I'd like to see him go after Marquez personally, closely followed by Brook. Both would be decent scraps in my eyes.

Your thoughts?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Khan vs. the welters Empty Re: Khan vs. the welters

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 am

I think he can dominate Brook from the outside. Going by Brook's performance against Porter he will need to do a lot more to beat Khan.

He should beat Marquez because of his age

Pacman would destroy him imo. Pac is as fast as Khan but a more damaging puncher.

Bradley would be a tough fight but Khan should win on points.

Mayweather? Khan's speed is the factor.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:21 am

ONETWO... Mayweather isn't exactly a slouch in the speed dept... he's quicker than Khan in my eyes when you take in to account foot movement/body rolls/hand speed as a whole.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:40 am

You keep saying he's quicker than Khan, but Maidana who is hardly lightening quick caught Mayweather more than any opponent in recent memory.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:41 am

I was backing Khan to beat Brook in any case before the weekend just gone, but after seeing him take apart a pretty quick, good boxer in Alexander like that I'm even more confident of it now. I think Brook's power gets slightly overrated when this fight gets touted (as in I don't think as soon as Brook catches Khan with something coming in the fight's over as some others do) and he's never really shown that he likes to rough an opponent up or fight at very close quarters, which has usually been the undoing of Khan. I think Khan just beats him to the punch on the outside and takes a no-frills decision unless Brook has an extra dimension up his sleeve which he's never shown us before.

Tricky with Marquez. We've seen time and time again in his battles with Manny that Marquez knows how to deal with great hand speed and he can be a pretty nasty guy when he's got someone reeling, too. The Marquez of a few years back would be too much for Khan, in my eyes. But now, aged forty-one? Think Khan could probably box his way to a decision win. Not the most enticing fight listed here!

Agree that Bradley could be a horrible fight for Khan. Good at breaking up his opponent's rhythm, strong as an ox, likes fighting inside and does it effectively. He's not as fast in the hands as Khan, but is quicker there than he gets credit for, has good legs and is athletic. Not a big puncher, but very robust and aggressive with the shots he does throw. His questionable ring IQ and the fact that he can be tagged and hurt make it interesting, though. I wouldn't rule out Khan stopping him but more often than not I'd probably take Bradley to win a gritty, unspectacular decision.

I'd still take Manny over Khan. He gives you different angles and looks as he comes in than someone like Alexander or Colazzo does and always seems to surprise people when faced with height / reach deficits. He doesn't get discouraged, is still pretty damn fast himself and I don't think Khan's power can trouble him, either. I think Khan gives him a good scrap and has plenty of moments but I reckon Manny's pace and pressure might still be a bit too much. Competitive fight but Manny has enough to win a UD hurting Khan a couple of times in the late rounds.

Probably give Khan a slightly better chance against Floyd than Manny based on styles. Khan would probably be allowed to set the pace as he pleasaes against Mayweather in the early rounds and Mayweather hasn't faced anyone really quick for a while. Also think Mayweather, sharp hitter and clearly better than feather-fisted though he is, isn't going to really upset Khan with his power either. There's a chance - just a chance - that Mayweather might have to get on the front foot and push the pace like he did against Judah once he realised he couldn't just wait for Zab to open up all the time. I think Khan's problem, like Judah's, is that he still hasn't shown he can keep a cool head and adjust once things start getting awkward - and they will get awkward against Mayweather at some stage, regardless of what kind of lead he builds up. I'd make Khan a live underdog against Mayweather - still go for Floyd to pull out a decision, something like 7-5 or maybe 8-4 in rounds, but it'd be an interesting watch.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59 am

hampo171 wrote:You keep saying he's quicker than Khan, but Maidana who is hardly lightening quick caught Mayweather more than any opponent in recent memory.

Maidana also threw 800+ punches, was substantially down in the rematch from memory. Still lost a close-ish but obvious decision as well. Can't see Khan going with sustained pressure as his approach, about the only approach with Mayweather has looked vulnerable too (Castillo I, Cotto, Maidana I) against so far.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:46 pm

I think Bradley is the easiest of the lot for Khan, the speed would be a massive factor in that one, he just doesn't do any one thing well enough to overcome it.

Aside from the jab Pacquiao does everything better so would expect a knockout at any point really.

Marquez is too old and slow.

Brook could go either way, depends if Kell can time him, if he can then a mid to late stoppage.

Mayweather just too good after an early adjustment.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Not in agreement with Bradley, it's not that I rate Timbo but just feel he's so rough and tumble it'd be similar to Khan v Peterson in terms of Khan getting dragged to places he'd rather not be. Lets not forget Timothy has the hardest noggin in the business and uses it to great effect!

I actually think it'd be a pretty decent fight with both guys getting buzzed more than once. Just think Bradley is all wrong for him stylistically, one of the reasons why I've always thought Hatton would beat Khan and so forth.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:55 pm

After this weekend I think khan pips Brook. Khan is still vulnerable but is improving on his defence. Don't think brook can outbox khan to a decision and does he carry enough pop to stop khan? Doubt it, although it'll be cloder than Alexander as brook can bring tje fight better when the boxing isn't working

Jmm, like above posters he may be able to counter khan lime manny but khan is a different puncher to manny. He doesn't need to get into jmm punching range like manny did to get off and should be able to outwork and out point marquez

Bradley is 50/50, Bradley isn't a huge puncher but if he can get inside he has the beating of khan and can outwork him I'd side with Bradley atm

Pacquiao beats khan comfortably as he has a good style to beat khan and it'll be a sure fire battle, gonna be a really fun contest and think Pacquiao stops khan after a good fight

Actually think khan does well against mayweather now although not enough to win, khans speed and size can really trouble floyd but floyds ability to adapt will pull him through

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by titaniumjaw Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:04 pm

As good as khan was on Saturday what have we really learned. Yeah he's good against a southpaw with no real
Power like his last 2 fights I said when the fight was made that Devon was tailor made for khan I personally thinks he beats brook and just shades jmm but pac floyd and Bradley all beat khan as does Thurman even tho he looked pants in Saturday

titaniumjaw

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:40 pm

I think Brook and Bradley are pick em fights. The others I would fancy to beat Khan.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Khan can beat them, he can also lose to them all.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mark_england Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Good post this with some very good, intelligent responses.

Brook - probably the fight I'd like to see most. Think Khan outworks Brook. Don't think Brook has the power to stop Khan either. Khan UD.

Marquez - Khan by UD again, too much work rate for JMM. Wouldn't be surprised if JMM knocked Khan down at some point though.

Bradley - Once again, Khan by UD. Never been much of a fan of Bradley, don't think he'd be able to get past the Khan jab and combinations to rough him up inside, and definitely don't think he's got the boxing skill to beat him.

Pacquiao - Pacquiao by KO, similar to the Garcia fight for me. styles make fights, and I think Pacquiao is all wrong for Khan. Don't think any of the other four have the KO power to trouble Khan, apart from Pacquiao, who at some point is gonna get him and catch him, and can't see Khan holding out.

Mayweather - alot closer than people think. Mayweather won't fight Khan though, high risk, low reward. Khan is definitely all wrong for Mayweather style wise, no doubt about it, Floyd's gonna find it alot harder to pot shot and nick rounds against a fighter throwing so many punches at such speed. Be a fascinating fight.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:50 pm

The one Khan needs to run from would be Pac. Manny may not have knocked anyone out in recent years but he's quick, accurate, and every fight he's in he finds the target on numerous occasions with spiteful shots. It's just a bad matchup for Khan.

The rest he's got his chances with to varying degrees although I don't see him knocking any of them out. Given Floyd's not a puncher you'd have to say khan would be interesting if he can stay sharp and focused. JMM is getting on I think would be an underdog, Brook is a close call but again, if Khan stays focused he should get the result. I see Bradley making Khan work hard but not having the power to stop him (I know, what a strange statement) but taking most of the later rounds after losing the first 6 or 7.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down