The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearn Plans U.S Expansion

+7
Coxy001
trottb
TopHat24/7
DDGO2
Strongback
wheelchair1991
catchweight
11 posters

Go down

Hearn Plans U.S Expansion Empty Hearn Plans U.S Expansion

Post by catchweight Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Hearn has confirmed his applications for his promoters licence in L.A, Las Vegas, New York and Texas.

Eddie Hearn now runs the day-to-day business of Matchroom Sport, the family company and the most significant boxing promoter in the United Kingdom -- and one of the two most important promoters in Europe, along with Germany's Sauerland Event.

Hearn, armed with an exclusive television deal to put on the fights televised by England's subscription network Sky Sports through 2016, has built a stable of top U.K. fighters, including Carl Froch, Scott Quigg, Ricky Burns, James DeGale, Anthony Joshua, Kell Brook, Kevin Mitchell and others.

His crowning achievement so far was promoting Froch's super middleweight title rematch against George Groves on May 31, a fight that drew some 80,000 to London's Wembley Stadium (a British record) and sold more than 900,000 pay-per-views in the U.K., second all time there to Ricky Hatton's fight with Floyd Mayweather (which did about 1.2 million). The Froch-Groves PPV number is gargantuan when you consider how small the population in the U.K. is compared to the United States, where a PPV that sells 900,000 is very, very strong for fighters not named Mayweather.

With so much success at home, Hearn is looking to branch out and bring the Matchroom name to the United States, he told ESPN.com.

"People keep asking me what's next after Wembley? How will you top that? The plan now is to diversify into other markets and territories, and the U.S. is likely to be next," said Hearn, who was at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, on Saturday night as Brian Rose, a Matchroom Sport fighter, lost a junior middleweight title challenge against Demetrius Andrade.

"In three years, we have established ourselves as the major force in the U.K. We already have a fantastic reputation with international broadcasters and they know exactly what we can do and what we are capable of. There is a big opportunity for us and our fighters in the U.S., and although we certainly won't be taking our eyes off the ball in the U.K., plans are already in place to start promoting shows and signing fighters in the U.S. It's exciting times."

One thing Hearn has excelled at is marketing fighters in their hometowns. British fans are also very passionate about their guys, so that makes Hearn's job a little easier than some promoters have it. But the results are there. Hearn wants to bring that to the U.S.

"I think fighters in the U.S. need to be marketed better. I don't see the same passion, the same support as the U.K., and I believe I can change that," Hearn said. "I think because such a huge proportion of the show revenue comes from the broadcaster [in the U.S.] that it's easy to be lazy and forget about putting bums on seats and driving a fighter's profile. There are pound-for-pound top-10 fighters who could walk down their own street unnoticed, and if you don't create the atmosphere at the shows, then the product will suffer and ultimately the sport will suffer."

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Hearn Plans U.S Expansion Empty Re: Hearn Plans U.S Expansion

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:17 pm

I admire his ambition but think he wi struggle is the US market

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 am

I think that article/ press release is from last June.

Any update on Hearn's assault on America?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 am

Hearn is going to ruin us at this rate.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 am

Big Fight Live debut in America: Rose V Macklin...

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 am

DDGO2 wrote:Hearn is going to ruin us at this rate.

Are you some sort of Strongy clone, emore??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:08 pm

are you some sort of idiot tophat?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:20 pm

I think the evidence is mounted heavily against you on that count, emore.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:I think the evidence is mounted heavily against you on that count, emore.

Come on TopHat you know the rules - never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you on experience.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Boxing related please. I can and do have the power to ban. Adam took me on board, good guy he is, sees bullying for what it is: cowardice.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:16 pm

DDGO2 wrote:Boxing related please. I can and do have the power to ban. Adam took me on board, good guy he is, sees bullying for what it is: cowardice.

Davidemore. You should maybe take things with a pinch of salt. Also seem to be forgetting the umpteen articles you subjected us to surrounding bromancing us all.

And shock horror it's not unusual for a British based company to try and crack America. What it is though is very, very difficult to penetrate in to the American market. But good luck to him. Can't see it being a bad thing as he'll have a stable of American fighters as well, which could/should serve on some decent cross-Atlantic matchups between the good old Brits vs the USA USA "you've only got one song" chanting brigade.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Hearn will work with Haymon, so is prob going to have some success. If he matches his stable with decent US fighters I am all for it

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:20 pm

So judging by the title of the thread...Eddie Hearn wants to expand the United States?

Like create a new state. 'Hearnsville' sounds good with all the rules (Eddies fighter always wins etc.) being commissioned by the Hearnsville Board of Control which only has one person on the board...Eddie

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Hearn better not mug us off.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Hearn steal the jam from your doughnut as well as Strongy's??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:13 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Hearn steal the jam from your doughnut as well as Strongy's??

Brave man that would try that with you toppy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Hearn isn't faultless here. He saw an opportunity to sign a world champion to his stable and make a lot of money from doing so. How much did Eddie care about how things would work out for Ricky V Warren down the road, I know what my guess is.

Eddie was also blabbing to whoever would listen that he was advising Chris Eubank Jr on the contract Warren offered for the BJS fight. Of course Eddie's advice isn't legally binding.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Strongback wrote:

Hearn isn't faultless here.  He saw an opportunity to sign a world champion to his stable and make a lot of money from doing so.  How much did Eddie care about how things would work out for Ricky V Warren down the road, I know what my guess is.

Eddie was also blabbing to whoever would listen that he was advising Chris Eubank Jr on the contract Warren offered for the BJS fight.  Of course Eddie's advice isn't legally binding.

Fractional moral blame but sod all else.

Burns' screw up and Frank's screw job - anyone not desperate to slate Hearn for simply being born could see that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Rowley wrote:

Brave man that would try that with you toppy.

Damn straight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:47 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Hearn isn't faultless here.  He saw an opportunity to sign a world champion to his stable and make a lot of money from doing so.  How much did Eddie care about how things would work out for Ricky V Warren down the road, I know what my guess is.

Eddie was also blabbing to whoever would listen that he was advising Chris Eubank Jr on the contract Warren offered for the BJS fight.  Of course Eddie's advice isn't legally binding.

Burns' screw up and Frank's screw job - anyone not desperate to slate Hearn for simply being born could see that.

I can't see too many fighters walking out of their contract to join Matchroom as we have seen happen in the last couple of years. I have no doubt about promoters tapping up contracted fighters and whispering sweet nothings in their ear. A basically educated working class lad in his 20's has no chance with these sharks.

You can't see fault with Hearn because you have your nose too far wedged up his backside.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

I can't see too many fighters walking out of their contract to join Matchroom as we have seen happen in the last couple of years.  I have no doubt about promoters tapping up contracted fighters and whispering sweet nothings in their ear.  A basically educated working class lad in his 20's has no chance with these sharks.

You can't see fault with Hearn because you have your nose too far wedged up his backside.

Which is why he should take legal advice.

Hearn may have not helped that situation, and even possibly misled Burns, but that doesn't circumvent the unassailable fact the Frank Warren SCREWED Ricky Burns, not Eddie, not Matchroom, not MdR etc etc....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm

The problem in the sport is the lines between manager and promoter are often blurred, hell they are often the same person (a practice banned in the US). Was Ricky properly represented when he was looking to get himself out of his contract with Warren he should have had an independent manager he could have spoken to, and even if Hearn had said he could have got out of the contract with Warren without an issue, that manager should have been recommending he take independent legal advice to ensure this is correct.

No point listening to either Warren or Hearn, both have a vested interest. The minute someone has a vested interest their advice becomes tainted and unreliable, that much is common sense.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Hang on, don't we already have a thread on this...........:

https://www.606v2.com/t56899-warren-wins-case-against-burns

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:00 pm

I thought there was no such thing as tapping up in anything other than football (due to the restraint of trade EU rules???)

Hearn isn't blameless for that but I thought that was being discussed on another thread.

Can't fault him for wanting to expand his market and any decent businessman worth his salt would know that. Whether he succeeds is another matter and might depend on how Al Hayman sees him. Will his English fighters just be fed to up and comers etc etc.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Agree Alex Morrison has questions to answer as Ricky's manager through all this.

At some point we all have to trust somebody when we are getting professional advice. The problem in boxing is there is no moral code and scruples do not exist. If I knew a talented young boxer I would be pointing him towards somebody like the solicitor Michael Kennedy who never became a football agent but legally advised players like Roy Keane on their contracts.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Only 'trust' someone that has PI cover sat behind their advice....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Only 'trust' someone that has PI cover sat behind their advice....

How often does a solicitor need PI cover? They are experts at eliminating any risk that could potentially come their way. Ultimately the risk lies with the client and it is exactly the same with accountants. No good sitting in front of Revenue and looking at your accountant who has balls'd up and he knows it and you know. He won't be getting fined.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Only 'trust' someone that has PI cover sat behind their advice....

How often does a solicitor need PI cover?  They are experts at eliminating any risk that could potentially come their way.  Ultimately the risk lies with the client and it is exactly the same with accountants.  No good sitting in front of Revenue and looking at your accountant who has balls'd up and he knows it and you know.  He won't be getting fined.  

You engage solicitors WITHOUT PI COVER???!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

How often does a solicitor need PI cover?  They are experts at eliminating any risk that could potentially come their way.  Ultimately the risk lies with the client and it is exactly the same with accountants.  No good sitting in front of Revenue and looking at your accountant who has balls'd up and he knows it and you know.  He won't be getting fined.  

You engage solicitors WITHOUT PI COVER???!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I've only had to engage a solicitor to do some conveyancing or to write to a client with a very overdue account. Needless to say the solicitor made sure his ass was well out of any danger. PII costs for solicitors and accountants is generally quite low compared with people who actually design things that cost money.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm

chin chin chin

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:00 am

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

I've only had to engage a solicitor to do some conveyancing or to write to a client with a very overdue account.  Needless to say the solicitor made sure his ass was well out of any danger.  PII costs for solicitors and accountants is generally quite low compared with people who actually design things that cost money.

You're kidding, right?

Costs are through the roof and rising. All major accountancy firms are constantly getting their pants sued off!! Lawyers too, whenever something goes wrong.

No professional advisor will ever be engaged without offering reasonable PI cover because, more often than not, that is what the client is buying - peace of mind that if something goes wrong, that is somebody elses fault, they can sue.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

I've only had to engage a solicitor to do some conveyancing or to write to a client with a very overdue account.  Needless to say the solicitor made sure his ass was well out of any danger.  PII costs for solicitors and accountants is generally quite low compared with people who actually design things that cost money.

You're kidding, right?

Costs are through the roof and rising. All major accountancy firms are constantly getting their pants sued off!! Lawyers too, whenever something goes wrong.

No professional advisor will ever be engaged without offering reasonable PI cover because, more often than not, that is what the client is buying - peace of mind that if something goes wrong, that is somebody elses fault, they can sue.

Were are you getting I said PII is not required?

My point is the risk to accountants and solicitors is less than say an engineering consultant who must have £20 million PII cover if he wants to work on the design of many rail projects. That kind of cover costs serious money. PII became so expensive for big international design firms that their excess runs into £500,000 or more to try and keep cost of insurance down. At that stage they are self insuring many of the claims they can't defend.

I sign a declaration to my accountant every year that says I have held an AGM to review the accounts he has prepared and that I confirm they are correct. That covers his ass nicely. I also sign off that the information I have provided the accountant is correct.

I bought a house earlier this year and the solicitor had me sign pages of disclaimers stating I understood all risks associated with the house and they were my responsibility. I bought my first house 15 years ago and the conveyancing involved none of this.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:37 am

The plot thickens, or the cat gets blacker ............... chin chin

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 am

lol

DDGO2

Back to top Go down