The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints

+7
LondonTiger
doctor_grey
RubyGuby
lostinwales
SecretFly
HammerofThunor
WELL-PAST-IT
11 posters

Go down

Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints Empty Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:40 pm

Great news for Saints, especially after the talk about Hartley going to France. With both Wallers, Clark, Denman, Kahn Fotuali'i, Pisi (G), Myler and Dowson also recently announced as staying we should remain strong for a few more years without needing to import on mass.

I can't really see anyone with England ambitions going to France with a RWC coming up, money may be better but the "England Player" tag adds a lot to your marketing value.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints Empty Re: Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

Great news and blows the 'Hartley going to France' stuff out of the water. I really can't see Lawes going anywhere unless things go pearshaped for him. One of the benefits of playing local lads.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints Empty Re: Lawes and Hartley Re-sign for Saints

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:48 pm

Agents talking guff again? I suppose this is the best time to play that game and see what a guy is really worth to the club he already belongs to.

But also, probably one of the best times for a club to call a player's bluff too Wink "Oh you want to go to France for the big pay-off do ya? Well you go right ahead, we won't stop you. Lancs won't be happy to hear it but you have to look after number one, we appreciate that"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:30 pm

The report I saw had Hartley saying he turned down a big offer from Montpellier to stay at Saints.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

"Hartley the Saint! - sort of has a nice ring to it eh thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

I just love that he has a column in the Sun.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I just love that he has a column in the Sun.

Is it on P3 with the rest of the big jubblies? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 17 Dec 2014, 11:17 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Great news and blows the 'Hartley going to France' stuff out of the water.  I really can't see Lawes going anywhere unless things go pearshaped for him. One of the benefits of playing local lads.
This is great news (in order) for me, Saints, England. As a Saints supporter we need to keep our home grown talent, even better that some are Northamptonshire lads. Not only keeping these two, but 5 other key players. The rumours were flying pretty heavily over the last week or so, but somehow Saints did exactly what they need to do to keep the squad intact. I am a happy boy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:11 am

Which part of Rotorua is in Northampton Grey? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Which part of Rotorua is in Northampton Grey?  thumbsup

The bit in Sussex where he moved to when he was 16 before going through the English schools and age group teams. So I suppose you are right, not a local Northampton lad
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

I thought it was Cornwall or Devon to live with his grandma while he was at Worcester's academy?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Dec 2014, 1:35 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

The bit in Sussex where he moved to when he was 16 before going through the English schools and age group teams. So I suppose you are right, not a local Northampton lad

So home grown occurs after 16 years of age then - You're probably right with that and the residency rule. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 18 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

So home grown occurs after 16 years of age then - You're probably right with that and the residency rule. thumbsup
Boys, boys, boys.
The point I was making was Hartley was developed by Saints from a relatively young age and was nurtured and groomed by Saints.  A one club man.  Not someone we hired from a different club.  I didn't mean he was a Northaptonshire lad exactly like the Wallers and Lawes, who re-signed with Saints as well.  

Now, to those who just clapped me about the ears for my my apparently errant statement, I want you all to know an old mate of mine from Northamptonshire, not the city, retired to Rotorua.  Or somewhere near the 40th parallel (south).  He is a Northampton man through and through, though his wife is Kiwi.  So everywhere he goes he brings a little bit of Northamptonshire with him.  Given this special circumstance, the logical conclusion is that if one is from Rotorua, one is also, by extension, is also a bit of a Northampton lad as well.  Whch brings us back to Hartley.  I win.  hahaha.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 18 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm

Wasn't Hartley in Worcester's academy?

Plenty of genuine local lads though

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 18 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Yeah, I don't remember where he started, but spent a year or two in Worcester's academy. Joined Saints in 2004 or 2005.  He is a Saint since age 17 (I think). Almost 10 years now.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm

Doc you should know your players better. From Saints offy it says got first cap in 2009 three years after joining Saints & as he is 28 my maths make it he joined Saints when he was 20 in 2006.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:26 pm

broadlandboy wrote:Doc you should know your players better. From Saints offy it says got first cap in 2009 three years after joining Saints & as he is 28 my maths make it he joined Saints when he was 20 in 2006.
OK here are my problems:
1. age (mine, not theirs) - If I don't remember what I had for breakfast how am I going to remember when a player joined up?
2. senility - similar to age, but makes it so I don't worry about age so much.
3. maths - According to my old man (the same guy who gave me the creative and colourful nickname Grey) 28 years old, Born 1986. Joined Saints academy in 2005 so with the club 9.5 years. Not sure what year was his first match with the senior squad. But for the record, I wouldn't trust my old man's memory either.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Great news and blows the 'Hartley going to France' stuff out of the water.  I really can't see Lawes going anywhere unless things go pearshaped for him. One of the benefits of playing local lads.
This is great news (in order) for me, Saints, England.  As a Saints supporter we need to keep our home grown talent, even better that some are Northamptonshire lads.  Not only keeping these two, but 5 other key players.  The rumours were flying pretty heavily over the last week or so, but somehow Saints did exactly what they need to do to keep the squad intact.  I am a happy boy.

Given your inability to remember much of anything at the moment can we take that "happy" to be in the same sense as when it's used to describe "Happy Hour"?

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 19 Dec 2014, 11:49 am

No, not really Happy Hour.  
More similar the time in the asylum when the patient is given his medication to make him compliant and Happy. Except without the medication.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:23 am

Myler, G Pisi, Wilson and Stephenson all resigned. Very good news for Myler and Pisi with the rumours of them leaving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30590152

Is Manoa confirmed to be leaving yet?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:30 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Myler, G Pisi, Wilson and Stephenson all resigned. Very good news for Myler and Pisi with the rumours of them leaving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30590152

Is Manoa confirmed to be leaving yet?

Do not believe so. However with all the players announced as have signed new contracts (12) it does look as if he is off. Will be a massive loss, but sure they have the players to cope.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:56 am

Manoa and Ma'afu are supposedly done deals to Toulon at the end of the season.

Good to see the Saints developed players showing loyalty in the face of big French cash.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:07 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Manoa and Ma'afu are supposedly done deals to Toulon at the end of the season.

Good to see the Saints developed players showing loyalty in the face of big French cash.
Manoa does not get additional income from playing for England and endorsements based on playing for England. For Lawes and Hartley the club income might have been higher in Toulon but overall there might might not have been so much in it.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:18 am

This is true the RFU do pay decent bonuses for those that play. However, in Hartley's case where you're on a final warning over your temperament there are several competitors for your shirt and you are thirty with a three year deal in France in the offing that's a tough call.

Manoa will be a huge loss for Saints but Toulon will probably keep his career going until his mid thirties and on a bigger wedge then he is getting currently.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:17 am

doctor_grey wrote:
broadlandboy wrote:Doc you should know your players better. From Saints offy it says got first cap in 2009 three years after joining Saints & as he is 28 my maths make it he joined Saints when he was 20 in 2006.
OK here are my problems:
1. age (mine, not theirs) - If I don't remember what I had for breakfast how am I going to remember when a player joined up?
2. senility - similar to age, but makes it so I don't worry about age so much.
3. maths - According to my old man (the same guy who gave me the creative and colourful nickname Grey)  28 years old, Born 1986. Joined Saints academy in 2005 so with the club 9.5 years.  Not sure what year was his first match with the senior squad.  But for the record, I wouldn't trust my old man's memory either.

I think he came over when he was about 16 and lived in Sussex for a while, did the England Schoolboys bit (English Mother) and then went to Worcester, before joining Saints a couple of years later in 2005.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down