The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?

+7
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
lostinwales
Tattie Scones RRN
wayne
nathan
LordDowlais
11 posters

Go down

He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?  Empty He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?

Post by LordDowlais Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

The title speaks volumes for me, I wonder what needs to happen for this kid to get some recognition:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/hes-welsh-stats-say-hes-8443802

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?  Empty Re: He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?

Post by nathan Wed 14 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

i don't know the answer to this, but have any other full backs played every minute of every game this season?

If the answer is no, then that is probably why his stats are better than most

nathan

Back to top Go down

He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?  Empty Re: He's Welsh, the stats say he's the form full-back in EUROPE and he's not Liam Williams... so who is he?

Post by wayne Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

LordDowlais wrote:The title speaks volumes for me, I wonder what needs to happen for this kid to get some recognition:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/hes-welsh-stats-say-hes-8443802
Lord he has been exceptional for us this season, he has recently won Player of the Month for us and many on our boards think he is the front runner at the moment for Player of the Season, yet I think it has a lot to do with who we have behind him and it is not a lot, even though Sam Davies and Fussell haven't let us down badly. It is also a lot to do with his kicking game which compliments what Biggar and Matavesi also bring.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:17 pm

Plus at fullback, if he catches the ball near his own try line, he's going to run 20 metres unopposed.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:19 pm

It is common for full backs to have great stats for meters run with the ball. Doesnt mean he isnt playing very well though

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 14 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

lostinwales wrote:It is common for full backs to have great stats for meters run with the ball. Doesnt mean he isnt playing very well though

I completely agree - not denying he is, Ospreys in general are playing well this season.

However, trust me when I say this as a Scotsman, form doesn't get you International caps (unfortunately).

With Williams out though, will he get a call up?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

I could take a good guess who he is, but couldn't you have written who it was so people didn't have to play the Wail's clickbait game?

I still don't think he will get called up for Team Wales. Liam Williams is probably fit for next week

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
lostinwales wrote:It is common for full backs to have great stats for meters run with the ball. Doesnt mean he isnt playing very well though

I completely agree - not denying he is, Ospreys in general are playing well this season.

However, trust me when I say this as a Scotsman, form doesn't get you International caps (unfortunately).

With Williams out though, will he get a call up?

Since when has Williams been ruled out or have I missed something?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

To be fair he would got capped out on the US/Canada tour back in '09, and he would probably have picked up far more caps by now, but made two pretty major mistakesmistakes

The first being his clash of personalities with Nigel Davies which forced him to disappear from the Scarlets match day squad. The welsh stock of fullbacks was pretty good back then, there was Dan, Burn, Stodds (when fit) and Martyn Thomas all looking good, and Dan seemed to be Burn's natural backup/replacement. That was one season wasted.

And the second was his move to the Dragons where he wanted to be played as a fly half. If he had gone there as a fullback and got game time there rather than wasting another second season where he was not really putting his hand up for international selection.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 14 Jan 2015, 6:04 pm

We are lucky to have such depth at 15 now but i don't see Evans coming in at his age unless Half or L Williams are seriously injured or dramatically f$%k up. He might get a summer tour again but since all eyes are now on RWC he will be in his late 20s before he gets a sniff. Can he cover the wing/centres? if he could that would increase his chances but, Anscombe can cover and will get his shot now as I think he will take up the James Hook spot on the Welsh bench.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

I wouldn't say its too late for Evans, Ben Smith only started really nailing down a place in the All Blacks aged 27

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:41 am

WHO IS HEEEEEEEEE??????????????

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:50 am

IronMike wrote:I wouldn't say its too late for Evans, Ben Smith only started really nailing down a place in the All Blacks aged 27

Good point, he has a bit of work to do to get past the incumbents. But he is doing all the right things. I must admit although I rated him as an opposition player at his previous clubs, I have been surprised at how good he has been at the Ospreys.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Jan 2015, 8:45 am

Byrne was relatively late onto the scene as well wasn't he? So never say never I guess but he's behind Williams and Halfpenny at the moment plus Gatland seems to pick Prydie on and off.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:08 am

Dan Evans probably won't get picked. Halfpenny and Liam Williams already constant selections and then Prydie and Amos will probably both get in before him (especially Dual Contracted Amos), with their ability to cover more than one position.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

I don't think we will see a Dual Contract as an automatic selection for Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:03 pm

Think it's fairly likely they'll make extended squads at the very least.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm

I hope so. Great opportunity to get players involved.

Tough on the regions who will be losing a huge amount of their Pro12 players.

But that's the nature of a crowded fixture list

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I don't think we will see a Dual Contract as an automatic selection for Wales.

I am more sceptical and cynical than you Maes, I guess only time will tell but I think if there are 2 players in Wales in same position and same kind of form then I think the DC player will get selected.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:48 pm

I know it is not exactly on topic, a well respected poster on our forum who is a Waunarllwyd ex player, whose son plays in the Ospreys academy system and also plays for the same team, has stated Sanjay (Liam Williams) ex Waunarllwyd player has signed a new contract with the Scarlets and turned down a DC, due to the playing restrictions, this is becoming farcical now if true and I believe so.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:56 pm

Nothing that is supposedly agreed between the Union and Regions surprises me, there is so much resentment still its going to be a long time before there is full peace.

The 16 game limit is really low as guys just want to play.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 3:36 pm

I think it depends on the player, some players like to have rests, some players like to play every game to get the best out of themselves.

Williams looks the sort of player who wants to go out and play, where as Warburton on the other hand tends to get injured a lot and quite likes the rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm

IM,

Agree some pick up injuries more than others and they then have to be managed, like you said Williams seems to relish playing and I know that Lyn Jones has trouble getting Faletau to rest as he would play every game if he could.

I do think the limit of 16 is low but getting the right number is again difficult.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jan 2015, 4:17 pm

I do remember reading that the number of games would be decided by the player and the WRU

could be talking bollox though

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

I thought it was a set 16 matches???

Would make sense to have leeway on that rule as I don't think that would benefit young lads like Lee, Amos and Morgan who need the experience to progress

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 15 Jan 2015, 5:15 pm

Dan Biggar has already played 14 matches for us this season, the only first class game he missed was against Connacht when he was with Wales, AWJ has played in 13 games
already, he missed the first and was villified for it on here, when it was done by his own coaches for his own good, Biggar started every game he has played, and AW, started on the bench for one of those games, is it any wonder that up to now they haven't signed a DC, if they play the next 2 games in the RCC competition, that would have been their Regional games apart from Play off games over for this season

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Jan 2015, 5:43 pm

That's why the limit needs to be looked at and done maybe on a player to player basis.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:01 pm

I am sure that there is nothing set in stone. The rule is set to be a compromise between the National teams needs and the regions but at its heart is the players best interests and the longevity and success of their career.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I thought it was a set 16 matches???

Would make sense to have leeway on that rule as I don't think that would benefit young lads like Lee, Amos and Morgan who need the experience to progress

Think that was what was agreed for Warby

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

Gwlad wrote:

Not necessarily so for the others??

Makes sense for Warbs, he is probably injured too often to have ever played more.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

I think he's just a good club play to be honest. He also blows hot and cold quite often.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

The Saint wrote:I think he's just a good club play to be honest. He also blows hot and cold quite often.

He has been consistent this season though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Not necessarily so for the others??

Makes sense for Warbs, he is probably injured too often to have ever played more.
Perhaps not set in stone at 16, yet it must be very close, otherwise why has AWJ not signed, when it was first announced he was one of the original 6, for instance Dan Biggar wasn't, the Dodger said in early December that the initial quota would be filled by Christmas, it hasn't, this process IMO is proving to be too rigid.
We (Ospreys) have had some terrible luck with injuries this season, yet if some of these injuries had been AWJ, Biggar and Webb, it would have been an utter catastrophe.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 15 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:I think he's just a good club play to be honest. He also blows hot and cold quite often.

He has been consistent this season though.

Not against Northampton. I hope this weekend is different though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 8:32 pm

Me too..!

We seriously need to hope the boys have worked hard all week, done some very smart analysis and maybe some good fortune thrown I for measure...

I noticed in the preview vid released by Ospreys.com that pressuring back three players was mentioned...

Sounds like Gats might see North getting tested by Biggar

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down