The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..!

+25
PenfroPete
CurlyOsp
majesticimperialman
Cumbrian
stub
Hood83
HammerofThunor
VinceWLB
Cardiff Dave
Breadvan
The Saint
WELL-PAST-IT
TJ
doctor_grey
Cyril
No 7&1/2
wayne
lostinwales
Hound of Harrow
bedfordwelsh
BamBam
LondonTiger
BigTrevsbigmac
nathan
maestegmafia
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..! - Page 2 Empty Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Jan 2015, 6:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..! - Page 2 Osprey10          Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..! - Page 2 Saints10
Ospreys v Northampton Saints

Fit to play: Christian Day
Fit to play: Christian Day

The Ospreys have done Northampton no favours in their team selection in what should be a pulsating Champions Cup game at the Liberty Stadium.

The Welsh region's hopes of qualification are slim but they will not go down wondering what might have been as head coach Steve Tandy names Rhys Webb, Dan Biggar and plenty more talent in his XV.

Dan Lydiate is ruled out so in comes James King on the blindside while last week's scorer Tyler Ardron continues at number eight this weekend.

The Ospreys currently sit on eight points after four matches, six behind Racing Metro and seven off Northampton Saints with two rounds remaining.

Meanwhile, Northampton make six changes from last weekend - a quintet of those in the forwards - as the final block of European Champions Cup pool fixtures begin.

It is an entirely new front-row, returning skipper Dylan Hartley flanked by Alex Waller and Gareth Denman on the loose and tighthead respectively, while Christian Day is fit again and back in the second row for the Round 5 clash.

The final change up front comes at number eight, Samu Manoa making his return to the starting XV, while Ken Pisi's introduction is on the right wing is the solitary alteration among the backs.

Form: Ospreys lost 18-14 away to Racing Metro in their last European clash but currently sit at the top of the Pro12 standings following last week's 22-11 win over the Dragons. Saints beat Treviso 67-0 in Round Four but were beaten 20-7 by Sale in the Premiership last week. Northampton Saints have won on their last four trips to Wales, with their most recent win on Welsh soil coming in last season's competition against the Ospreys. Ospreys are winless in eight home matches against English sides; losing seven. Ospreys' loss to Northampton last season represents their largest home defeat to an English team.

The teams:

Ospreys: 15 Daniel Evans, 14 Aisea Natoga, 13 Ashley Beck, 12 Josh Matavesi, 11 Eli Walker, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Rhys Webb, 8 Tyler Ardron, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 James King, 5 Alun-Wyn Jones (c), 4 Rynier Bernardo, 3 Aaron Jarvis, 2 Scott Baldwin, 1 Marc Thomas.
Replacements: 16 Sam Parry, 17 Gareth Thomas, 18 Dmitri Arhip, 19 Morgan Allen, 20 Sam Lewis, 21 Martin Roberts, 22 Sam Davies, 23 Hanno Dirksen.

Northampton Saints: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Ken Pisi, 13 George Pisi, 12 Luther Burrell, 11 George North, 10 Stephen Myler, 9 Lee Dickson, 8 Samu Manoa, 7 Calum Clark, 6 Tom Wood, 5 Christian Day, 4 Sam Dickinson, 3 Gareth Denman, 2 Dylan Hartley (c), 1 Alex Waller.
Replacements: 16 Mikey Haywood, 17 Ethan Waller, 18 Alex Corbisiero, 19 Phil Dowson, 20 Teimana Harrison, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 James Wilson, 23 Jamie Elliott.

Date: Sunday, 18 January
Venue: Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Kick-off: 17:30 (GMT)
Referee: Jerome Garces (France)
Assistant referees: Patrick Pechambert (France); Jonathan Gasnier (France)
Fourth Official Jean-Marie Piraveau (France)
TMO Jean-Marie Piraveau (France)

Ospreys are in for a very hard afternoon, a long injury list, the team not playing well in their las few games and their entire European Cup season rests on them not just winning this but winning well.

Saints have fought and bought their way into being a European powerhouse. The Ospreys should struggle to compete.

With so many front line injuries in the pack, scrum time will be a nightmare. Saints might be missing Courtney Lawes from their line out but they can replace him with Manoa...!

Not a result I hold much hope for I am affraid...

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..!

Post by wayne Fri 16 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
The Saint wrote:
TJ wrote:
wayne wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Being able to afford to reinforce the weaker parts of their team to the quality level they have is a different ball park to the Ospreys. Same can be said for most of the top pool leading teams in Europe.

1) Saints have a smaller catchment area
2) The disparity in the salary budgets for the two ERCC squads will be miniscule.

You can bitch and moan about how unfair things are - even when they are much fairer than you claim - or you can get behind a team who are top of their league and playing a big match. Up to you.
Tiger, not arguing the whole post, but your fact about the finances of both clubs being about the same is truly one of the most delusional posts I've ever read on these boards

Ospreys will be less - but in overall spending power there will be little in it.  Certainly not enough to make a real difference.  Saints are not toulon!

Buying North out of his contract and giving him a hefty salary would suggest otherwise. But still, Saints have recruited very well and don't need to buy their success unlike Toulon.

Don't forget the fine they played for allowing North to contrat to play Wales games out of the international window.

Not like the Welsh regions getting their WQ star players saleries paid by the WRFU is it?
Tell me what Osprey playing Sunday has his salary paid by the WRFU ?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sundays big Ospreys v Northampton European showdown...! Euro cup ..!

Post by The Saint Fri 16 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm

None. There may be some salaries paid by the WRU... Oh, actually there isn't.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 16 Jan 2015, 5:27 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Maybe they think that not having a winger there is still better defensively than picking North there.  Whistle
Nah, Saints finally got their season figured out by playing with 14 men and finding a way to beat Tigers. Winning any match down to 14 is unusual, but beating Tigers with 14 is far beyond rare and far past extraordinary. Therefore, the template for the season.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 16 Jan 2015, 5:37 pm

I wouldn't say we're injury ravaged. It's still a strong Ospreys side tbf. The props and Hassler are a miss yet big George used him as a the proverbial door matt last year. Hopefully we are over the run of poor performances and can raise our game.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 16 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

Breadvan wrote:I wouldn't say we're injury ravaged. It's still a strong Ospreys side tbf. The props and Hassler are a miss yet big George used him as a the proverbial door matt last year. Hopefully we are over the run of poor performances and can raise our game.
Breadvan, yes you are right to say we are not injury ravaged, but I wouldn't say the team selected is a strong one, Hassler missing is a big miss and don't forget, George ran through him in the centre where Hassler had to move to on the morning of the match, when Bishop pulled out, if Arhip hadn't been played so much lately he would have been T/H, and he would have been a significant improvement in the scrum than Jarvis, for all his courage Marc Thomas is a very poor scrummager at this level, he is at best the 4th best L/H on our books. Even though he hasn't played for us, by reputation Steenkamp is vastly superior to Bernardo and as well as Ardron has played Baker is better.
I for one didn't expect us to get anything out of any of our games against the top 2 this season, to have got 3 points already has exceeded my expectations and if we get a LBP on Sunday would be great, things are looking up on and off the field for next season and if we can qualify for the RCC next season that for me will be job accomplished.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 16 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm

I've watched a few O's games in the Pro12 and Hassler's always impressed when I've seen him.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 16 Jan 2015, 6:11 pm

Breadvan wrote:I wouldn't say we're injury ravaged. It's still a strong Ospreys side tbf. The props and Hassler are a miss yet big George used him as a the proverbial door matt last year. Hopefully we are over the run of poor performances and can raise our game.
As someone said earlier in the thread, we have the top teams in the premiership and pro 12. Let's hope for a great match we can all enjoy.
(hopefully Saints winning with 4 tries)

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 16 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

wayne wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
The Saint wrote:
TJ wrote:
wayne wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Being able to afford to reinforce the weaker parts of their team to the quality level they have is a different ball park to the Ospreys. Same can be said for most of the top pool leading teams in Europe.

1) Saints have a smaller catchment area
2) The disparity in the salary budgets for the two ERCC squads will be miniscule.

You can bitch and moan about how unfair things are - even when they are much fairer than you claim - or you can get behind a team who are top of their league and playing a big match. Up to you.
Tiger, not arguing the whole post, but your fact about the finances of both clubs being about the same is truly one of the most delusional posts I've ever read on these boards

Ospreys will be less - but in overall spending power there will be little in it.  Certainly not enough to make a real difference.  Saints are not toulon!

Buying North out of his contract and giving him a hefty salary would suggest otherwise. But still, Saints have recruited very well and don't need to buy their success unlike Toulon.

Don't forget the fine they played for allowing North to contrat to play Wales games out of the international window.

Not like the Welsh regions getting their WQ star players saleries paid by the WRFU is it?
Tell me what Osprey playing Sunday has his salary paid by the WRFU ?

WRU FU has a ring to it. I want the t-shirt.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm

Wayne, I think the discussion developed about various clubs signing big name players, and being rich. Ospreys were not mentioned and I do not know enough about the pro 12 or Ospreys to know if any of the dual contract players or centrally contracted players are on their books, but it was trying to make a point that if there are advantages that English clubs don't have of having players you don't pay for or partially pay for.

Having said that English clubs do get a payment for the use of the clubs players if they are on international call up.

Dave, I can understand why, yours makes ours look good. Perhaps you should bring in a business consultant, Alan Sugar would do laughing your fired.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:25 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Wayne, I think the discussion developed about various clubs signing big name players, and being rich. Ospreys were not mentioned and I do not know enough about the pro 12 or Ospreys to know if any of the dual contract players or centrally contracted players are on their books, but it was trying to make a point that if there are advantages that English clubs don't have of having players you don't pay for or partially pay for.

Having said that English clubs do get a payment for the use of the clubs players if they are on international call up.

Dave, I can understand why, yours makes ours look good. Perhaps you should bring in a business consultant, Alan Sugar would do laughing your fired.

Ditto over this side of the bridge too. Tiz why we have a services agreement with the WRU.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

wayne wrote:
Breadvan, yes you are right to say we are not injury ravaged, but I wouldn't say the team selected is a strong one, Hassler missing is a big miss and don't forget, George ran through him in the centre where Hassler had to move to on the morning of the match, when Bishop pulled out, if Arhip hadn't been played so much lately he would have been T/H, and he would have been a significant improvement in the scrum than Jarvis, for all his courage Marc Thomas is a very poor scrummager at this level, he is at best the 4th best L/H on our books. Even though he hasn't played for us, by reputation Steenkamp is vastly superior to Bernardo and as well as Ardron has played Baker is better.
I for one didn't expect us to get anything out of any of our games against the top 2 this season, to have got 3 points already has exceeded my expectations and if we get a LBP on Sunday would be great, things are looking up on and off the field for next season and if we can qualify for the RCC next season that for me will be job accomplished.

Yeh I agree about the game earlier on but last year too. North ran over Hass then too.... Rolling Eyes
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

Some good match ups in the teams..

Baldwin and Hartley might meet each other again in a few weeks in Cardiff. Mylar vs Biggar, Webb vs Dickson at halfback. Dan Evans and Foden at Full back.

Some young props with a lot to prove in Denman and Thomas.

Callam Clark vs Tipuric

Should be interesting. But that Saints pack look likely to be too much for the Ospreys.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:11 pm

Off now, OLE, OLE, OLE, Come on you Ospreys.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:41 pm

Good luck both teams, hopefully it will be a great game

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

wayne wrote:Off now, OLE, OLE, OLE, Come on you Ospreys.

Good luck Wayne, i think you will need it..

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:14 pm

Enjoy Wayne. Hope your team does you proud, even if I want Saints to win. Ospreys will always be the first time I started watching regularly.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm

Pitch is looking great

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

Looked like a forward pass to me

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

It's a really good hybrid pitch (I think). Reasonably good start from both sides.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:44 pm

Gutted, Foden injured just as he was coming back to form.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:44 pm

I wish they'd stop the game when they see a player go down like that

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:44 pm

Looked bad for Foden

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:46 pm

Yep, a real shame for Foden.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:46 pm

Bigger looks fired up lol

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:47 pm

He generally is. Real chopsy bugger (in a good way IMO)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:56 pm

What happened to Foden? I missed it.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:57 pm

Cumbrian wrote:What happened to Foden? I missed it.

Went off injured. Didn't look good

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:58 pm

Looked like his left knee

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:00 pm

Ah right, that isn't great from an England point of view. Mind you Watson would make a good back up.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:06 pm

Looked like a swinging arm by the Ospreys prop, presumably the Saint will be pointing it out

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:07 pm

Has to be a card I think...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:07 pm

yellow

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:07 pm

He's off. Idiot

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

Got to be off

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

Definite yellow. Dawson talking rot about a jump. Can't see it myself.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

So unnecessary.  If he hadn't done that the break was on for Northampton.

Last edited by Cumbrian on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

nathan wrote:Looked like a swinging arm by the Ospreys prop, presumably the Saint will be pointing it out

Didn't see it. It's one for the citing commissioner. I don't usually go out of my way to point out these things as I've better things to do. But when a bunch of one-eyed fans deny blatant foul play then I might just give my opinion. Grow up.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm

The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:Looked like a swinging arm by the Ospreys prop, presumably the Saint will be pointing it out

Didn't see it. It's one for the citing commissioner. I don't usually go out of my way to point out these things as I've better things to do. But when a bunch of one-eyed fans deny blatant foul play then I might just give my opinion. Grow up.

After you mate.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm

Saints are going backwards here

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

Lucky break that.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

Both teams playing some good stuff. Great hands by Osprey's 8. Shame to concede a try that way.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:15 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Lucky break that.

Yes and no, good pressure forced the error

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

True, but it's not often you pick up a ball like that with a straight run to the line from that distance.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

Biggar looks like he has improved no end in the last season. Does anyone know he if still throws the odd intercept pass?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

After you mate.

Typical child-like response. Don't refer to me as mate, you're going to damage my credibility on here Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:24 pm

It is a shame for Ben Foden. Hope it is not to bad, typical though 2/3 weeks out from the 6ns and players start getting injured.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:25 pm

The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

After you mate.

Typical child-like response. Don't refer to me as mate, you're going to damage my credibility on here Wink.

Told you already, I'll only grow up after you! Wink

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:26 pm

Best to ignore him. I do

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

Looked nasty for poor old Foden. ACL maybe, hopefully not.

Good game so far. Ospreys really have to watch out for that big fella on the wing, he looks blwdi good

Two mistakes, one by Webb one by Tips. Otherwise we have been looking good.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:28 pm

Referee really bottled his decision on Pisi, if Biggar handn't got his hand free he would have landed on his neck. Much worse than Phillip's tackle the other week.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next