The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future GOAT?

+9
dummy_half
bogbrush
socal1976
kingraf
CAS
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
It Must Be Love
rugbygod2
13 posters

Go down

Future GOAT? Empty Future GOAT?

Post by rugbygod2 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm

What do people think about Grigor Dimotrov? Do people think he has the potential be GOAT?

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Future GOAT? Empty Re: Future GOAT?

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

Laugh Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 10:59 pm

what's funny? by this age federer hadnt won any slams either

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:04 pm

whats wrong legend killar gone back to your hiding place?? ahahhaa Very Happy

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:09 pm

He doesn't have the mental strength to get to world number 1, forget GOAT

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:10 pm

Erm he got to the semis of Wimbeldon before Federer ever did.... awkward...

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:12 pm

Federer won Wimbledon when he was 23, Dimitrov will turn 24 by the next he next plays Wimbledon... and he has no chance even then.

Nishikori and Raonic look much stronger out of the players Dimitrov's age anyway.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

Nishi and Raonic have both failed on the big stage, and show no signs of improvement. Only Dimitrov looks capable of emulating the GOATs

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

rugbygod2 wrote:what's funny? by this age federer hadnt won any slams either

Federer won his 1st slam when he was 21, go check the stats, Fed was 21 years and 10 months, contrastingly Dimitrov is 23 and yet to reach a finals and just 1 semi-finals to his credit. nope

I would be happy for you if Dimitrov can win at the least 1 slam, which at the moment looks very unlikely. Sorry

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:01 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Federer won Wimbledon when he was 23, Dimitrov will turn 24 by the next he next plays Wimbledon... and he has no chance even then.

Nishikori and Raonic look much stronger out of the players Dimitrov's age anyway.

Federer won Wimbledon in 2003, he was born in 1981 August 8th, so how come he was 23 when he won the Wimbledon? Laugh

Two jokers laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:07 am

Yes sorry, I meant 21.

That proves my point even more.
Federer won his first slam when he was 21, Dimitrov hasn't a hope in well in winning Wimbledon even when he's 24 this year.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:25 am

Science has come a long way, maybe he could be a future goat.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:41 am

Federer had 4 slams at Dimi's age, this must be a wind up..

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:07 am

Oh ok sorry guys I read an article in the Sun, I still have hopes for him though... awkward

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:39 am

rugbygod2 wrote:Oh ok sorry guys I read an article in the Sun, I still have hopes for him though... awkward

We were all newbies at one point, Dimitrov is always compared to Federer for his style of play. While there are similarities the Bulgarian isn't quite as fluid as Federer, and he defends a bit more extravagantly. He has a lot of game but I would personally say he isn't quite as good as Kei Nishikori. I see him always being a threat at Wimbledon but feel his game goes walkabouts on slower surfaces and wasted too much time against 'lesser' players. To quote Tim Henman "he is someone who can end anyones tournament but will never win it himself"

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:50 am

rugbygod2 wrote:Oh ok sorry guys I read an article in the Sun, I still have hopes for him though... awkward

He is talented yes, but success at the top is not just by talent but couple with hardwork, if he keeps doing it he will attain his goal.

Good to see Dimi got some unique fan base. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 22 Jan 2015, 4:17 am

Indeed science has come a long way. Maybe he can be a goat in the future
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:24 am

I do think with the lack of talent out there Dimi probably has a slam or two in him.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:58 am

Said the same about Raonic.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:30 am

socal1976 wrote:I do think with the lack of talent out there Dimi probably has a slam or two in him.
I completely agree with socal.

That tremor you just felt was the forum architecture creaking under the strain of a fundamental realignment of reality.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:50 am

rugbygod2 wrote:whats wrong legend killar gone back to your  hiding place?? ahahhaa Very Happy

I didn't hide, I think my response was well justified. So on that basis I shall indulge the un-educated like yourself who quite obviously doesn't really follow the sport given your rather 'educated' claims on this thread.

Let me put this into perspective for you. Dimitrov will turn 24 come May right before the French Open. To date he has 4 career titles. At the age of 22 he won his first ATP title. Whoa stop the press. I am feeling iminent GOAThood already. His highest title win to date was Acapulco which is a 500 event. So let's stretch this out a bit. Out of the 25 Masters 1000 Events that he has made the main draw, he has reached 2 semi-finals. Yep I knew it. I am dealing with the GOAT of all GOAT's. His highest ranking to date is 8 in the world. Right now he is outside the top 10. Dizzy heights when compared with others.

Right now I have managed to capture the Dimitrov CV in a few sentences, when we consider GOAT's and their merits we need to look at a few things. Take Laver. Prior to Borg, many considered him to be the GOAT. No pro since 1969 has managed a Calendar Year Grand Slam. Even the great McEnroe considered him the GOAT. Then Borg happened. So let me put his achievements into context.

He won 11 Slams
5 consecutive Wimbledons
15 equivalent Masters titles
109 weeks at number 1
64 career titles

He won his first Slam at the age of 18. Made number 1 at the age of 21.

For nearly 2 decades he was considered amongst many as the GOAT. He achieved all that before he turned 26! There was mileage in that debate. Before retiring McEnroe beat him at the US Open and Wimbledon. Now imagine that. Borg's peak was slightly fading at 25. Look at McEnroe. He passed his peak at 25 when a young Lendl and Wilander came on the scene. So again you look at the numbers, there is a trend. 2 greats losing the strength of their powers at 25. Lendl, Becker, Wilander and Edberg pushed the peak age to around 27-28.

Then along came Sampras. Won his first Slam at 19 and took the Number 1 Ranking at 21. Again look at the numbers. You could argue the competition wasn't as tough as for other GOAT candidates, but he still went on and had one hell of a career given some think his game was limited.

14 Slams
7 Wimbledons
286 weeks at Number 1
11 equivalent Masters titles
64 career titles
5 World Finals titles

So let's move forward to the current 'future' GOAT's

Roger Federer. His list of achievements is so much I haven't got time or room to list them. Again was 21 when he won his first Slam. Was 22 when he made number 1 and held onto that for 237 weeks in a row! That's nearly 4 and half years!

Has won 17 Slams (the Career Grand Slam)
Has spent 302 weeks at Number 1
Has won 23 Masters titles
83 career titles to date
Won Wimbledon 7 times (5 in a row)
Won the US Open 5 times in a row
Won over 1000 ATP matches
6 World Finals Titles

Then there is Nadal. Again widely not held in high regard by some quarters, won his first Slam at 18 and made number 1 in the world at 22, but again look at the numbers.

14 Slams (the Golden Career Grand Slam)
Has won 27 Masters titles (The current record)
Won the French Open 9 times (5 times in a row)
141 weeks at Number 1
Won 8 consecutive Monte Carlo's
64 career titles to date

So for me for Grigor Dimitrov to be a future GOAT he will need to win 2 Slams per year for the next 10 years (including the Career Grand Slam). 3 Masters titles for the next 10 years and be ranked number 1 for at least 7 out of those 10 years.

If he does that. Then yes I will acknowledge him as the GOAT in 10 years time OK

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 22 Jan 2015, 11:49 am

Dimitrov is a decent player, although is a bit streaky and his movement is not quite up to the level of the very best. The 'Baby Fed' label I don't think has done him any favours in making fans expect too much too soon.

I think he's one of that generation of players currently between about 22 and 26 who have somewhat disappointed in not taking the game to the big guns more. My feeling is that this group lacks a player that will go on to the 'All Time Great' status of the likes of Becker or Djokovic (with his current resume), and will probably be a bit like the Roddick-Hewitt generation where there are a few guys win one or perhaps 2 slams but are then surpassed by the next Great(s).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

I concur with socal and bogbrush. He certainly has a slam or two in him but future GOAT? No. For the future GOAT I certainly don't see one that is playing at the moment from the current young crop of players.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 22 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

GOAT ???  what is that ? we cant even agree if we have one at the moment let alone if there will be a future one among this current bunch. Cannot envisage any of them achieving the sort of slam record of the top three. If there is to be player who can waive a stick at Fed/Nadal/Djoko he hasn't yet arrived imo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:52 pm

rugbygod2 wrote:Do people think he has the potential be GOAT?

Would you care to define what quantitative criteria define a GOAT?

A qualitative definition will never get a consensus on any Tennis discussion, as long as Tennis is played. Wink

Qualitatively and subjectively (and IMVHO), Borg is the GOAT. Laver is a close second (for today), methinks.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 24 Jan 2015, 10:56 am

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I do think with the lack of talent out there Dimi probably has a slam or two in him.
I completely agree with socal.

That tremor you just felt was the forum architecture creaking under the strain of a fundamental realignment of reality.

We don't agree on much. But the next generation guys have been a big misfire so far and therefore you won't see too many golden era comments from me especially with the continued ageing and injury of the big 4.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:37 pm

socal1976 wrote: But the next generation guys have been a big misfire so far ...

You do not like Veseley and Kyrgios? chin

Dimitrov/Young/Harrison/Raonic/Tomic have not achieved much, but the jury is out on Nishikori.

With Wawrinka's resurgence, Top 4 is a misnomer.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

Resurgence? Not more just.... surgence :P ?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Resurgence? Not more just.... surgence :P ?

I do recall 2008 and the initial surgence. He was in Top 10 in June/August when Federer kept pushing him for the Olympics.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Stan-Wawrinka.aspx?t=rh&y=2008#

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 10:36 pm

What a perfomance from Dimitrov today against Murray, whilst I retract my statement saying that hes a future GOAT, surely hes a future number one

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 26 Jan 2015, 3:00 am

Dimitrov should have pushed it to the fifth set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:34 am

rugbygod2 wrote:What a perfomance from Dimitrov today against Murray, whilst I retract my statement saying that hes a future GOAT, surely hes a future number one

Maybe, I could see him being a slam winner maybe even a double major winner. It is not outside the realm of possibility but to me I still feel like he doesn't return serve very well and he has some mental frailty issues. It certainly could happen but I would put the odds at a little less than 40-60

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:44 pm

He needs to stop blowing away chances firstly. The very best players take the few chances they can find compared to Grigor they are much more convincing. This summer will be interesting to see if he can replicate the Wimbledon of last year and do something in Paris.

I see Grigor perhaps making #1 in the next 3 years but won't be a long lasting #1.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:45 pm

Wow JM I actually find myself agreeing with you Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

Run No you don't Laugh
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

Yes it was a bit of a shock to me too Shocked Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 5:05 pm

laverfan wrote:
socal1976 wrote: But the next generation guys have been a big misfire so far ...

You do not like Veseley and Kyrgios? chin

Dimitrov/Young/Harrison/Raonic/Tomic have not achieved much, but the jury is out on Nishikori.

With Wawrinka's resurgence, Top 4 is a misnomer.

I mean look at what other champions had achieved at their age, even in the modern era. I mean forget about fedal standards, they don't approach Djoko or even Murray for ealy to middle period success. If we say that Fed, Nadal, are beyond the standard derivation they haven't achieved very much. So GOAT talk and all that is way premature. One of them has to win a slam or at least a couple of masters before 24 or 25. The next generation after Fed, Nadal, and then Djokovic has so far been an epic fail. After every golden era there is a transitional period as I have often said progression is not always linear.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down