The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !!

+12
Stella
Mad for Chelsea
Galted
Atila
superflyweight
Marky
Mind the windows Tino.
incontinentia
The Womble
The Saint
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !! Empty Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

1. Jaws 4..............Could never comeback from this.........A shark that could follow someone to the Bahamas........A shark so slow you could out swim it and a shark that roared louder than Bradford fans at the weekend......

2. Superman 4......Lame effects.........awful villain.......and a budget slightly higher than my weekly wage !!.......Reeve the best superman.....deserved better !!

3. Lawnmower Man 2..........Let's just move on !!

4. Halloween Resurrection..........When Buster Rhymes karate kicks Myers through a window.........it's time to say goodbye !!

5. Godfather 3..........A shame on the other two !!..should never have neen made..

For some reason Highlander two and Hellraiser two............Didn't kill off the respective franchises..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !! Empty Re: Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !!

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm

Just to pick up on two of these.

I saw Jaws:The Revenge at the cinema and even at an early age couldnt believe how bad it was! Its still a guilty pleasure. Just read this review and you will understand why I love it - http://www.jabootu.com/jawstr.htm

Also, Halloween Resurrection.

I still dont understand why this film gets such a bad time. For me, its the strongest of all the sequels bar II and III (granted that wasnt Myers). Yes the ending with Busta Rhymes is awful but the rest of the film came closest to the original. Parts IV, V and V! (and H20 for that matter) were awful in my opinion.

And the less said about Rob Zombies efforts the better.

Halloween Resurrection isnt that bad, in my opinion!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !! Empty Re: Five Sequels so bad they killed off the franchise !!

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

Hellraiser II is fine as it's still a Clive Barker film, Hellraiser III is shyte and the less said about the rest the better.

A Nightmare on Elm Street...the 2nd one is nothing but a load of barely repressed bumstuffery designed to appeal to 80's obsessed knuckleheads who need to re-watch it just to make sure they definitely got the gay subtext

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:00 pm

Robocop 2 and 3. I believe number 2 was a commercial success but it's still a poor film.

Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation almost did it.... Geneysis will hopefully restore its former glory.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm

SAW - not exactly ground breaking but a welcome change for the usual slasher flick nonsense, however given the "twist" at the end, the subsequent films became an endurance test watching the same old cack with actors you've never heard of before the denouement

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:05 pm

Jaws 4 was comical, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me too! I still don't know how Mario Van Peebles character survived at the end.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:06 pm

Disagree with SAW II which I thought was a really good sequel. The others were all the same from there on in.

Highlander II was not only a terrible sequel but just an atrociously poor film. I wanted so much to love it and was so excited for it coming out. I traveled through to Cardiff to see it before it came to my town (which only had 3 screens at the time). Terrible film.

How about Alien 3? I once again really enjoyed it but most thought it was dire.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
2. Superman 4......Lame effects.........awful villain.......and a budget slightly higher than my weekly wage !!.......Reeve the best superman.....deserved better !!

A villain created from a strand of Supermans hair, 'born' already wearing his suit, with big long nails that can give people radiation poisoning, walking around saying "destroy Superman" over and over again. Seriously Truss, what's not to like?

Have you seen the original full length version? It's about 2 and a quarter hours long but after a extremely poor test screening it was cut down to an hour and a half. The Nuclear Man in the film is actually the '2nd' Nuclear Man.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:20 pm

The Matrix Revolutions was an atrocity.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

Adam D wrote:

I liked it, Adam. I've talked about it on here before. I think it gets unfair stick. People cream themselves over the other two (quite rightly) and judge 3 too harshly. It's not a world beater, but doesn't deserve some of the vitriol it gets and Charles S. Dutton is excellent as Dillon.

I really can't remember Nightmare on Elm Street 2. I can remember 1 and 3 quite well but 2 escapes me. I have definitely seen it though so it must have been sh*te.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

Adam D wrote:Disagree with SAW II which I thought was a really good sequel. The others were all the same from there on in.

Highlander II was not only a terrible sequel but just an atrociously poor film. I wanted so much to love it and was so excited for it coming out. I traveled through to Cardiff to see it before it came to my town (which only had 3 screens at the time). Terrible film.

Watched it with a couple of mates from the cinema. Absolutely hated it and as we walked out past the queue for the next screening, we slated it so much we convinced a few people not to bother watching it.

Alien 3 isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong it's not a patch on the first two, but deserves another DISPASSIONATE viewing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:42 pm

Die Hard 5. AKA A Good Day to Die Hard. Bang average at best and evidence they should have stopped while they were ahead.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

Should have stopped after the first one

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:48 pm

Sister Act 2?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

Should have stopped the Die Hard's after the third. That is the best one.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

Adam D wrote:Just to pick up on two of these.

I saw Jaws:The Revenge at the cinema and even at an early age couldnt believe how bad it was! Its still a guilty pleasure. Just read this review and you will understand why I love it - http://www.jabootu.com/jawstr.htm

Also, Halloween Resurrection.

I still dont understand why this film gets such a bad time. For me, its the strongest of all the sequels bar II and III (granted that wasnt Myers). Yes the ending with Busta Rhymes is awful but the rest of the film came closest to the original. Parts IV, V and V! (and H20 for that matter) were awful in my opinion.

And the less said about Rob Zombies efforts the better.

Halloween Resurrection isnt that bad, in my opinion!

Granteed Halloween 5 was the worst of the lot.........With that irritating hippie tart........

But when a guy comes in to a room with an unkillable psycho and shouts out "Trick or treat Motherf**ker"...........You have to wonder if Katie Price wrote the script !!.......

Didn't like any Saw movie ............I'm of a squeamish disposition...

The last Final Destination was pants............Imagine that may buy the farm now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:56 pm

Which Police Academy should they have stopped after?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

The Rob Zombie versions of Hallowe'en are pretty good and only spoiled by having his wife in them. She has a mighty fine ass but she CANNOT ACT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

DAVE667 wrote:The Rob Zombie versions of Hallowe'en are pretty good and only spoiled by having his wife in them. She has a mighty fine ass but she CANNOT ACT

The only way he can get any..

I'm thinking of becoming a Director !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:The Rob Zombie versions of Hallowe'en are pretty good and only spoiled by having his wife in them. She has a mighty fine ass but she CANNOT ACT

The only way he can get any..

I'm thinking of becoming a Director !!
He's also a rock star...sorry "rock star" so I think despite everything, he does OK on that front.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

The sequel was awful (Rob Zombies sequel). Loads of dream sequences etc.

I dont like the way it was all trailer park trash.

The original is a masterpiece and I have no problems with a remake. Just dont screw with the original formula!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

I just checked Netflix and they have a few of the Halloween films on there so will check them out later.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Adam D wrote:The sequel was awful (Rob Zombies sequel). Loads of dream sequences etc.

The original is a masterpiece and I have no problems with a remake. Just dont screw with the original formula!

Snob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:22 pm

Adam D wrote:The sequel was awful (Rob Zombies sequel). Loads of dream sequences etc.

Look at The Fog, Suspiria, Night of the living Dead, The Exorcist, The Thing, Alien, Halloween... and apart from "atmosphere" they have characters you invest in......

If you don't give a F**k about the characters what's the point..

Modern Directors have lost the art of making a good horror movie...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm

The Womble wrote:Should have stopped the Die Hard's after the third. That is the best one.

Third one is my favourite, but all three are exceptional.

Fourth one wasn't bad, different but still enjoyable IMO.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Look at The Fog, Suspiria, Night of the living Dead, The Exorcist, The Thing, Alien, Halloween... and apart from "atmosphere" they have characters you invest in......

If you don't give a F**k about the characters what's the point..

Modern Directors have lost the art of making a good movie...

fixed that for ya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:37 pm

Marky wrote:
The Womble wrote:Should have stopped the Die Hard's after the third. That is the best one.

I love Die Hard 3, all 3 stars (Willis, Jackson and Irons) are all brilliant in it. Even if it was a stand alone film it would be exceptional.

I think my expectations of 4 were too high because I loved the first 3. I think I need to re-evaluate it.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

Marky wrote:

First one for me............."Han's booby"........."Hey Babe I negotiate million dollar deals I'm sure I can handle this Eurotrash"....."You use a gun..I use a fountain pen what's the difference ahahahah"

Harry Ellis ....Apparently he's second on the alltime movie list of sleazy characters..........Hart Bochner take a bow !!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 26 Jan 2015, 3:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Marky wrote:

First one for me............."Han's booby"........."Hey Babe I negotiate million dollar deals I'm sure I can handle this Eurotrash"....."You use a gun..I use a fountain pen what's the difference ahahahah"

Harry Ellis ....Apparently he's second on the alltime movie list of sleazy characters..........Hart Bochner take a bow !!!!!

He was ace in Supergirl...
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

The Womble wrote:Which Police Academy should they have stopped after?
Should've stopped after the first one. It was an easy to watch movie. The best scene in it was when Commandant Lassard was giving a speech at a podium and some hooker in the podium started giving him a blow job. As a kid, that had me in tears. Very Happy

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 26 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm

Every Rocky after the first one completely undermined the premise and charm of the original.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 26 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Die Hard is a great shout. I like the first four, to varying degrees (first is just perfect, third is excellent, second pretty good and fourth I actually really enjoyed) but the last one basically came across to me as "Die Hard but with all the fun bits which actually make it a Die Hard movie" left out or forgotten. Just a run-of-the-mill action/thriller, and not a particularly good one at that.

Superman IV, for obvious reasons.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Batman and Robin yet though, that one was a car crash throughout and not in a good way. OK it came back brilliantly under Nolan, but that film shut it down for ten good years.

Thought Alien 3 was OK, some good ideas in there, Alien 4 is the real franchise killer.

Hard to call Matrix Revolutions a franchise killer since it was always intended to be the last film anyway, but it did a great job at making sure there'd never be another one. TBH Matrix was a great film that should have been left well alone, no sequel needed.

I suspect Attack of the Clones would have gone close to killing the Star Wars franchise had there not been the matter of the missing third film.

Then you have the franchises which have/had already gone on for too long anyway, but somehow kept dragging along: Halloween, Saw, Rocky, Fast and Furious, etc. Only so many times you can make the same movie before it becomes a little bit dull.

I confess to not having seen Robocop 2 and 3, but suspect that's another one which like the Matrix should have been stopped after one film. Problem with money spinners and all that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:23 pm

Robocop 2 is good from memory. I haven't seen it since it's release but I seem to remember it being very good.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:30 pm

Lethal Weapon 4. The first three ranged from very good - quite funny, then number 4 came along.

Beverley Hills Cop 3. My, that was bad.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:41 pm

Hated Lethal Weapon 2..........The way he goes into the South African Embassy and walks out throwing one liners around and then he breaks into the Ambassador's office again and throws witty lines around....

So farfetched it was untrue...........

I dare some British cop to try it in London on US soil......and see how long it is before he's face down with a gun to his head..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:43 pm

You can't come to south africa because you're blick!

Yeah, actually preferred 3 to 2.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 26 Jan 2015, 9:33 pm

Lethal Weapon two wasn't too bad. But unlike the first Lethal Weapon it tried to add humour to the storyline making it an action comedy were the first one was an action drama.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 9:54 pm

Genuinely loved all 4 lethal weapons, although I was a kid when I saw them (had the 4 tape box set!) so not like I was heard to impress!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:01 am

hallowean 3 has to be one of the worst sequels out there, didn't even have myers in it

agree that the matrix was spoilt by the sequels

seems like im one of the few who doesnt rave about aliens, alien a far better film for me. went down hill fast from the first less said about resurrection and predators ones the better. first three good enough though

airplane 2 is pretty cack, same jokes as the first. same can be said about dumb and dumber

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

compelling and rich wrote:hallowean 3 has to be one of the worst sequels out there, didn't even have myers in it

agree that the matrix was spoilt by the sequels

seems like im one of the few who doesnt rave about aliens, alien a far better film for me. went down hill fast from the first less said about resurrection and predators ones the better. first three good enough though

airplane 2 is pretty cack, same jokes as the first. same can be said about dumb and dumber  

I'm one of the many that thinks Alien is quality but prefers the excitement fest Aliens !!

The other two were crap..........

Think those that prefer Alien are more patient purist types...........

Not impatient old grinches like me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm

Can I add one that isn't even made yet...

Ghostbusters.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 10 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm

The Womble wrote:Which Police Academy should they have stopped after?

The first one.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 10 Feb 2015, 7:48 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Can I add one that isn't even made yet...

Ghostbusters.....

Actually, a sequel was made to Ghostbusters.  Not bad, but not as good as the first.

Shifting genres a little, Shrek had gotten pretty dire by Shrek the Third and Austin Powers was already getting played out by the time The Spy Who Shagged Me was made. In both cases, the sequels should have been strangled at birth.

Sometimes, dead is better.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Feb 2015, 9:04 am

Hearing rumours that FROZEN 2 is in the pipeline....may have to sell several internal organs the fund the purchase of "Daddy, I need that" merchandise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down