The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread

+101
george doors
The Fourth Lion
ChequeredJersey
HammerofThunor
Portnoy's Complaint
milkyboy
dummy_half
Mad for Chelsea
blackcanelion
Hammersmith harrier
Hood83
2ndtimeround
Shifty
Rory_Gallagher
glamorganalun
DaveM
Mr Taff
LeinsterFan4life
Mike Selig
mckay1402
whocares
Davie
Taylorman
Steve_rugby
Fernando
Coleman
hugehandoff
flankertye
Tattie Scones RRN
Nachos Jones
Allty
Exiledinborders
Heaf
Sgt_Pooly
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
No 7&1/2
gregortree
lostinwales
The Saint
Alex_Germany
TightHEAD
nobbled
MarcusHalberstram
Pete330v2
alive555
WELL-PAST-IT
jimmyinthewell68
Poorfour
Manu's Boxing Coach
offload
Bathman_in_London
pledgeX
Notch
Scottrf
cb
Geordie
Ozzy3213
rodders
TheRugbyMaster
Barney McGrew did it
Jimpy
Biltong
doctor_grey
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
englandglory4ever
Dim
king_carlos
Chjw131
Tiger/Chief
GunsGerms
Duty281
stub
SecretFly
Cumbrian
bluestonevedder
nlpnlp
Impossible Standards
Rugby Fan
jelly
rainbow-warrior
George Carlin
wales606
mzan
Gwlad
maestegmafia
Cardiff Dave
GavinDragon
nathan
Luckless Pedestrian
HQ matt
thomh
funnyExiledScot
beshocked
yappysnap
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
TJ
BamBam
105 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Empty Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread

Post by BamBam Mon 02 Feb 2015, 2:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Wales10Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Englan10
Wales v England
6 February 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Kick off at 20.05

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (FFR)
AR1: Romain Poite (FFR)
AR2: Mathieu Raynal (FFR)
TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

Live on BBC1

Wales
Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Kather10
01. Gethin Jenkins
02. Richard Hibbard
03. Samson Lee
04. Alun Wyn Jones
05. Jake Ball
06. Dan Lydiate
07. Sam Warburton (c)
08. Toby Faletau

09. Rhys Webb
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Scott Baldwin
17. Paul James
18. Aaron Jarvis
19. Luke Charteris
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Mike Phillips
22. Rhys Preistland
23. Liam Williams

England
Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Kate-w10
15. Mike Brown
14. Anthony Watson
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Luther Burrell
11. Jonny May
10. George Ford
09. Ben Youngs  

01. Joe Marler
02. Dylan Hartley
03. Dan Cole
04. David Attwood
05. George Kruis
06. James Haskell
07. Chris Robshaw (captain)
08. Billy Vunipola

16. Tom Youngs
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Kieran Brookes
19. Tom Croft
20. Nick Easter
21. Richard Wigglesworth
22. Danny Cipriani
23. Billy Twelvetrees

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread

Post by TJ Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:10 pm

quinsforever wrote:
DaveM wrote:Totally deserved.

Two general points:

- England have two of the best packs in the world
- In Watson, Joseph, Ford, Brown and May England have a core of a world class backline. They all need to develop and we need to find a 12 with the full skill-set. The Welsh backs look big and ponderous in comparison.
LOL. But true.

have been banging on about joseph and ford for ages. they are the way forwards. watson was awesome too.

i reckon bath (whose strength is their pack) could well win the euro cup too with that backline.

I thought Ford was pretty poor. Charged down twice, some poor kicks and kicked away attacking ball. Joseph showed his class tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Wales v England - 6 February 2015 - Match thread

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:11 pm

JJ is going to be a world class outside centre. He put in a massive hit on Roberts as well, no question marks over his physicality or defence tonight. I wonder if Lancaster will immediately drop him for Tuilagi though..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:12 pm

Hopefully get Lawes & Wood back which will make us stronger, Ireland away is a tough one though.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:12 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Well done England good win, wales stuffed in scrum not sure it was the front row wales back row looked lightweight, the backs can t play without the ball and what they had they kicked it away, Phillips offered nothing.

Phillips was on for 10 minutes! Who else offered 'something' in that 10 mins???

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:12 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
quinsforever wrote:the rules are clear. if the alleged abstruction player is behind the ball then there's no obstruction unless he created a clear advantage. which he didnt. mako was tackled on the line.

Sorry but this is wrong. Obstruction is basically another word for off-side in open play. A player is off-side if he is in front of the ball (you cannot be guilty of obstruction if you are behind the ball, clear offence or not; you can be guilty of offences like playing the man without the ball etc. but that is not obstruction). He is liable to be penalised if he has an effect on the game.

That Easter was behind the passer when he passed the ball is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether:
- he was in front of the ball at any stage (he clearly was)
- he had enough of an effect on the game to be penalised (debateable, I would say probably not on balance)

Overall:
- England thoroughly deserved the win. Wales had nothing in the second half.
- Garces had a decent game. Some of his decisions were contentious, and some were just wrong (in hindsight, and at the time), but I don't think you could say he had an effect on the overall nature or result of the game; as I said earlier, he was fair and balanced, in control, and didn't make any major howlers (if you accept the non award of the try could have gone either way) - don't think either side would have much to complain about. Garces is not the best referee around, but for him he had a good game.
agree, but only because england won. if wales had won, garces howlers would have been much more shrply in focus. several of which were clear.

i think you are wrong on obstruction. webb decided to tackle easter. if that makes it obstruction then every side is going to just tackler the runner and claim its obstruction. the reality is he got this completely wrong.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

Wales talked the talk, England walked the walk that's all you can really say about the game. Best team won.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

Ford started poor but grew into the game, a bit like the England team who took time to settle. Not sure why, nerves perhaps. Solid win in the end. This result may just be the kick up the backside I said Gatland needed going into this game.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

haskell, jj, watson and ford nailing their places for england. deservedly so.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

TJ wrote:
quinsforever wrote:

Two general points:

- In Watson, Joseph, Ford, Brown and May England have a core of a world class backline. They all need to develop and we need to find a 12 with the full skill-set. The Welsh backs look big and ponderous in comparison.
LOL. But true.

have been banging on about joseph and ford for ages. they are the way forwards. watson was awesome too.

i reckon bath (whose strength is their pack) could well win the euro cup too with that backline.

I thought Ford was pretty poor.  Charged down twice, some poor kicks and kicked away attacking ball.  Joseph showed his class tho

Overly harsh to be fair. Don't think he was man of the match, but certainly didn't have a poor game. Yes he made errors, but he recovered straight away.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRugbyMaster Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

A good win for England. Took their chances and kept the noose tight in the second spell. Wales though... Just so one dimensional. So predictable. So slow behind the ruck, changes needed at 9, 10 and coach.

TheRugbyMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:15 pm

The Saint wrote:Ford started poor but grew into the game, a bit like the England team who took time to settle. Not sure why, nerves perhaps. Solid win in the end. This result may just be the kick up the backside I said Gatland needed going into this game.

Alot of new combinations is what I suspect.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_rugby Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:15 pm

What happened to the superior Wales fitness ? Did they miss out the cryotherapy sessions leading up to this game.

Steve_rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm

Stay gracious England...

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

Haskell was interesting - poor start but got better and better. I think he's probably done enough to keep his place. England's backrow was excellent.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

fair comments Warbs. gracious captain and can see why he is a leader. smart cookie

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

TheRugbyMaster wrote:A good win for England. Took their chances and kept the noose tight in the second spell. Wales though... Just so one dimensional. So predictable. So slow behind the ruck, changes needed at 9, 10 and coach.

9 and 10? That's an absolute baffling comment if I'm honest. The changes needed are front row, centre and wing. Some of the players I said should start going into this are Rob Evans, Scott Willams (over JD), Amos and Liam Williams - that and some variation in the game like the autumn.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

nathan wrote:
TJ wrote:
quinsforever wrote:

Two general points:

LOL. But true.

I thought Ford was pretty poor.  Charged down twice, some poor kicks and kicked away attacking ball.  Joseph showed his class tho

Overly harsh to be fair. Don't think he was man of the match, but certainly didn't have a poor game. Yes he made errors, but he recovered straight away.
He kept his head i suppose and maybe poor is a bit harsh but mediocre at best, My view from where I am sitting.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:18 pm

Sorry Quins - I'd like to agree with you but Easter was offside. He was a bit too keen - over-ran and caused an obstruction.
Don't think it was a deliberate block - but that doesn't matter.
We won. Let's move on.
Thought Faleteau was immense today. Not had great form recently but without his great skill at the base of the scrum England would have dominated every scrum and gained possession.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

Anyway good start to the 6N. Can't say it was the greatest game in terms of quality, but there was tension, drama, mistakes, moments of quality and controversy. What more could you want as a neutral?

Forum briefly discussing North's potential concussion. Gotta say this is a massive issue for sport as a whole, not just rugby, but I do have a problem with how often this kind of thing happens.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

Griff wrote:Stay gracious England...

That's nottins for you. Nowhere to be seen when his team lost, probably still blaming the ref for that one. I'm sure he will get another ban soon.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:
quinsforever wrote:the rules are clear. if the alleged abstruction player is behind the ball then there's no obstruction unless he created a clear advantage. which he didnt. mako was tackled on the line.

Sorry but this is wrong. Obstruction is basically another word for off-side in open play. A player is off-side if he is in front of the ball (you cannot be guilty of obstruction if you are behind the ball, clear offence or not; you can be guilty of offences like playing the man without the ball etc. but that is not obstruction). He is liable to be penalised if he has an effect on the game.

That Easter was behind the passer when he passed the ball is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether:
- he was in front of the ball at any stage (he clearly was)
- he had enough of an effect on the game to be penalised (debateable, I would say probably not on balance)

Overall:
- England thoroughly deserved the win. Wales had nothing in the second half.
- Garces had a decent game. Some of his decisions were contentious, and some were just wrong (in hindsight, and at the time), but I don't think you could say he had an effect on the overall nature or result of the game; as I said earlier, he was fair and balanced, in control, and didn't make any major howlers (if you accept the non award of the try could have gone either way) - don't think either side would have much to complain about. Garces is not the best referee around, but for him he had a good game.
agree, but only because england won. if wales had won, garces howlers would have been much more shrply in focus. several of which were clear.

i think you are wrong on obstruction. webb decided to tackle easter. if that makes it obstruction then every side is going to just tackler the runner and claim its obstruction. the reality is he got this completely wrong.

Obvious obstruction Quins - one of the most blatant I have seen for awhile Have a look at the replay tommorrw. what howlers do You think Garcia made? From here I saw none bar a missed forward pass

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

The Saint wrote:

That's nottins for you. Nowhere to be seen when his team lost, probably still blaming the ref for that one. I'm sure he will get another ban soon.

Mate, glass houses

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

If it's any consolation to the Welsh amongst us, I thought you were really good at the pre game light display! Wink Laugh
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

TJ wrote:
quinsforever wrote:easter was behind the ball when it was passed. therefore cannot be obstruction. shocking decision. shocking. needs to learn the rules.

Obvoious and clear obstruction Quins.  the ball was passed behind him and he blocked a tackler.  Correct decision

Personally I don't think he prevented a tackle. But it doesn't matter now.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

The Saint wrote:
TheRugbyMaster wrote:A good win for England. Took their chances and kept the noose tight in the second spell. Wales though... Just so one dimensional. So predictable. So slow behind the ruck, changes needed at 9, 10 and coach.

9 and 10? That's an absolute baffling comment if I'm honest. The changes needed are front row, centre and wing. Some of the players I said should start going into this are Rob Evans, Scott Willams (over JD), Amos and Liam Williams - that and some variation in the game like the autumn.

I agree. I think a number of us beforehand called for form players to be picked, but knew what Gats would go for. The form players for me are Scott Williams at centre, Liam Williams at FB/wing, maybe Amos (playing better than Cuthbert). I too would have a look at Rob Evans?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:22 pm

nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

You don't ever get bored of being a hypocrite do you? Why don't you set up that ref-blaming thread seeing as you were one of the culprits. Never seen such dumb and ungracious comments if I'm honest.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:22 pm

nathan wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Well that was a huge win.

I wasn't impressed first half but they turned It round. Well done.

Positive Gf!!! Hug

Wink

I take my hat off to them. Second half they were excellent but first half they were poor.

Watson was outstanding as was Haskell.

And in his brief appearance Twelvetrees was excellent... Wow did I really say that...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:23 pm

The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

You don't ever get bored of being a hypocrite do you? Why don't you set up that ref-blaming thread seeing as you were one of the culprits. Never seen such dumb and ungracious comments if I'm honest.

I have, usually posted by you.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:23 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:If it's any consolation to the Welsh amongst us, I thought you were really good at the pre game light display! Wink Laugh

I thought attempts to wind up, gloat or personally attack were to be dealt with and bans handed out?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:23 pm

As an Irish fan, on the whole I felt England were the better team. It was a very deserved victory.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:If it's any consolation to the Welsh amongst us, I thought you were really good at the pre game light display! Wink Laugh

I thought attempts to wind up, gloat or personally attack were to be dealt with and bans handed out?

But not if you're Mod! Obvs

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm

Well done England and a special well done to Stuart Lancaster who has just shown the benefit of intelligent play over bash it up the middle and kick it away when it doesn't work.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm

nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

Oh well done! As expected such a mature and witty response!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm

Easter was not offside nobbled. arguably he obstructed. cant be offside in open play ball in hand unless theres an accidental knockon that goes to the player ahead 2.

regarding obstruction, did he prevent the player making the tackle? clearly not

(b) Running in front of a ball carrier. A player must not intentionally move or stand in front of a team-mate carrying the ball thereby preventing opponents from tackling the current ball carrier or the opportunity to tackle potential ball carriers when they gain possession.
Sanction: Penalty kick

(c) Blocking the tackler. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from tackling a ball carrier.
Sanction: Penalty kick

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm

Surely on the new 6N rules set by the Mods, that's banning talk right there Wink

Where is Banning Biltong?

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:As an Irish fan, on the whole I felt England were the better team. It was a very deserved victory.
k

On the whole? Try every facet of the game! I feel embarrassed by our performance to be honest. That looked and played out almost like an away game.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm

Gwlad wrote:

Dammit - I was looking forward to a good gloat.

Spoilsports.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm

nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

Don't feed the troll

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm

TJ wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

Don't feed the troll

Trying my hardest not too!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm

I thought it were a poor decision to penalise Easter; there would be an extra 15 transgressions, or so, a game if you were to penalise that each time.

And incidents such as that always look worse on the slow-motion video replay (x5).

Still, didn't matter in the end.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm

The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

oh the irony Laugh
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:29 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:Well done England and a special well done to Stuart Lancaster who has just shown the benefit of intelligent play over bash it up the middle and kick it away when it doesn't work.

Best shortest sweetest summary of the game.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:29 pm

Okay - George Ford man of the match?
Really? He was good....but MOM?
Not convinced - who do you think it should have been?
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm

TJ wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

Don't feed the troll

unless the food is poison as he seems to thrive off
that. sad man

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm

This is when I get to trot out my favourite comment about Joseph being a far better player than Tuilagi.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm

I wonder if we'll now see a more stable England side. Suddenly things look like they are coming together. It's difficult to imagine Launchbury and Lawes won't get back in, but other players might need to wait for injuries or loss of form.

I was so pleased we had JJ at 13 instead of Barritt.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm

Duty281 wrote:I thought it were a poor decision to penalise Easter; there would be an extra 15 transgressions, or so, a game if you were to penalise that each time.

And incidents such as that always look worse on the slow-motion video replay (x5).

Still, didn't matter in the end.
yes, but it could have done. England were 15-20 points better than Wales today without the home advantage

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nathan wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Mate, glass houses

oh the irony Laugh

Sigh. Want me to set it up for you? AlsoCould you point out any umgraciousness comments by myself on any recent thread? This one is full of them from 'england supporters.' It also seems that with recent warnings given out mods are above the law. It's pathetic, but was expected none the less.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm

Biggar committed himself to tackling Easter before the ball was released so for me it wasn't obstruction but Warburtons crying over decisions has no place on a Rugby pitch, an Englishmen should really know better.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm

Griff wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

But not if you're Mod! Obvs

Or you could get a sense of humour. It's called banter, found at most rugby grounds around the country. Laugh
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next