The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen

+7
fa0019
George Carlin
whocares
formerly known as Sam
shuren34
SecretFly
Biltong
11 posters

Go down

Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen Empty Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen

Post by Biltong Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Supersport wrote:South African rugby bosses are readying themselves to try and stave off a massive assault on their player corps, from former Springbok coach Jake White.

While European clubs poaching local players is nothing new, there is a lot of talk in local rugby circles about White and his “shopping list” – which includes a number of top Springbok and local players to move to Montpellier.

White has apparently been given the go-ahead – and loads of cash to back it – to lure some of the top South African talent to Europe, and right now he is targeting specific top South African talent.

This latest threat, coupled with the natural exodus after the Rugby World Cup later this year, may well see a massive group of players leave these shores again.

Already White has signed Western Province flyhalf Dimitri Catrakilis and the Bulls SA under-20 giant Jacques du Plessis to join the French club at the end of the season and it is clear he is intent on building a Super team for the French club.

There are rumours that both the Du Plessis brothers – Bismarck and Jannie – have already signed despite clauses in their SA Rugby contracts that only allow them to start negotiating in June.

White apparently has a “hit list” of South African players – many of them who are not Springboks already – that he is targeting to sign for the French club.

The former Bok coach’s knowledge of local players is to his advantage, although his chequered history with clubs – White hardly stays at a club for more than a year – and his acrimonious fallout with the Sharks and ACT Brumbies in recent years doesn’t seem to count against him.

At the moment it is the cash talking, so much so that the Bulls knew straight away they weren’t able to even come close to matching the massive offer that White made to the 120kg utility forward.

In Du Plessis’ case there is more to the story. There were whispers at Loftus Versfeld that he wasn’t happy with the arrival of Cheetahs flank Lappies Labuschagne – on a contract said to be more than 2x Du Plessis’ current salary, and was furthermore nonplussed by the prospect of moving to lock.

Given this background, the massive offer – said to be in the region of R5-million a season – was almost impossible to refuse, especially as it is around six times the youngster’s current salary.

The weak rand played its part, but not even an earnest plea from Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer – who phoned Du Plessis and tried to convince him to stay, could stop the player from following the money.

White has also lured his namesake – Brumbies scrumhalf Nick White to join Montpellier – who already have South Africans Wynand Olivier and Robert Ebersohn, and New Zealander Rene Ranger on their books.

The irony of White doing exactly what he always complained about regarding overseas clubs is not lost on the SA Rugby hierarchy either, but in a professional game where money rules, it is unlikely that they can do much to stop him.

Still, the rugby public shouldn’t be surprised if they hear a number of big names heading to Montpellier on big money contracts in the next few months.

Du Plessis and Catrakilis are said to be the first of many on the hit list, and with a shift in momentum after the World Cup, the hit list could simply quicken an already precarious exodus of talent from these shores.

I thought I would highlight this comment, made by a South African supporter. I think many of us feel this way. Enough is enough now. SARU needs to make a plan.

Stephanus de Goede wrote:White is a piece of slimy incestuous snake feces. In his universe there are three forces namely his ego, his disloyalty, and his greed, all fighting one another for absolute dominance of his soul, which is colder and emptier than a starless void.

What did he do for 4 years after 2007? Had a failed company, which the Lions paid millions before they roped in Mitchell, to try and help, which was obviously a fail.
For 5 years the guy achieved nothing, and then in 2.5 years he has hopped from one union/club to the other.
His aspirations to coach international rugby is almost childish, pitiable and laughable. All rolled into one. He will step on, over or though anyone and anything just to prove to SARU they were wrong in letting him go. Everyone knows he left the Brumbies when it was clear he wouldn't coach the Wallabies.
I'm pretty sure if Jake thought he will take over from Meyer at the end of 2015 he would have bitten his lip and played along with the Sharks. Alas...
Phillipe Saint-Andre's future with France looks bleak at best and the FFR's head coaching job will surely be open soon.

What a self-serving snake.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen Empty Re: Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen

Post by SecretFly Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:44 pm

I won't comment on the details because they're very much for people more keyed into domestic SA rugby than I am.

But I always let myself have a little snigger when I hear the name Jake White, as the SA supporter quoted is quite right. Anytime, in any place in the world, if an International coaching job becomes vacant - the first name mentioned is invariably that of Jake White.

It's become an old joke but the journalists keep telling it year after year. "Zambia need a new coach: Jake White hasn't commented yet as to whether he'd apply but we'll keep you posted"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen Empty Re: Jake White not popular amongst his countrymen

Post by shuren34 Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Sorry but even without J.White our clubs will allways buy a lot of boks player for 4 reasons.
First,they don't count as foreigner player like players from Australia and New Zealand because of the Cotonou Agreement.
Secondly they're tend to be cheaper than a french player.
Thirdly they are good and adapt very well with the foward game plan we have in top 14.
And finally they tend to integrate easily in our country, they learn our language, are hard working guys and don't tend to make scandals. So it's easy to work with them unlike a lot of pacific players.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:25 pm

I can see the FFR changing head coaches (probably post RWC ) but can't see the selecting a foreigner. A foreign assistant coach certainly (there's precedent there ) but I can't imagine they'd go for a foreign front man on current form.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Also, if you've got any locks or fullbacks surplus some quality in those areas would be appreciated at Tigers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I can see the FFR changing head coaches (probably post RWC ) but can't see the selecting a foreigner. A foreign assistant coach certainly  (there's precedent there ) but I can't imagine they'd go for a foreign front man on current form.

Agree they will always go for one of their own hence the lack of new ideas. Bookies favorite is now rafa ibanez after the fall from grace of Galthie.
On another note I saw that Clermont signed Flip VDM while Duane Vermeulen is seriously rumoured to join Toulon. With a former baby bok TH joining bordeaux, France best players in 10 years time mighy be SA forwards and Australian/Fidjian backs so having Jake White select the team would make sense Sad

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:00 am

White can't do that. Who is Alan Solomons going to stock Edinburgh with?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:13 am

The problem with Jake is that he ruffles too many feathers, whether in the right or in the wrong.

Brumbies

Set up an academy in Canberra which specifically targeted school leavers from SA to join rather than alternative clubs in SA.

He'll do the same with Montepellier.

I bet he's gone however by 2016. Won't last regardless of any success generated.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:39 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I can see the FFR changing head coaches (probably post RWC ) but can't see the selecting a foreigner. A foreign assistant coach certainly  (there's precedent there ) but I can't imagine they'd go for a foreign front man on current form.

Yes it will be snowing in hell before our union take a foreigner coach. After all it's not like nation like New Zealand or South Africa were miles better than us. Rolling Eyes

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:11 am

Reading OP articles like this really make my blood boil, they really do. More often than not its rotten pr*ck expats like White that do the luring of talent. I'm beginning to really despise expat coaches as they can coach wherever they want and have no restrictions like players do when it comes to national appointments. Disloyal scumbags IMO. I can't imagine anyone in the NH will empathise with this viewpoint, for obvious reasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:40 am

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/scholarship-to-lure-aspiring-springboks-20130316-2g7yc.html

As said above, White has a history of this sort of thing. The difference being at the Brumbies he didn't have the same pile of cash to throw at experienced pros so he had to target the younger ones.

I feel a bit for French academy lads, rugby is a real passion in southern France and so many potentially good players are just never going to get a chance. The rule seems to be: Player born south of the equator > player born locally.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:14 am

ebop wrote:Reading OP articles like this really make my blood boil, they really do. More often than not its rotten pr*ck expats like White that do the luring of talent. I'm beginning to really despise expat coaches as they can coach wherever they want and have no restrictions like players do when it comes to national appointments. Disloyal scumbags IMO. I can't imagine anyone in the NH will empathise with this viewpoint, for obvious reasons.

New Zealand (all Blacks) have relied on a few ex-expats though, haven't they?  Disloyalty obviously has a degree of merit attached in the eyes of the coaching selectors at the ABs.  It's tantamount to having a spy working behind enemy lines for a few years - knows the score, knows the rituals, the drills, the players, the philosophy etc.

Don't fully consign the idea of expat coaches to the dung heap, ebop - they have their uses.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:31 am

ebop wrote:Reading OP articles like this really make my blood boil, they really do. More often than not its rotten pr*ck expats like White that do the luring of talent. I'm beginning to really despise expat coaches as they can coach wherever they want and have no restrictions like players do when it comes to national appointments. Disloyal scumbags IMO. I can't imagine anyone in the NH will empathise with this viewpoint, for obvious reasons.

I am with you ebop, I fully understand we don't have the money or even the number of clubs necessary to provide spots for all our players, but it is beginning to grind me to no end, that our domestic rugby is beginning to suffer because of pricks like Jake White.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 am

england or france wont ever have a foreign coach imo. SCW was from Mars so that doesnt count.

clubs sides can do what they want obviously.

what annoys me much more than players being lured overseas to clubs for money (its their life), is players being lured to clubs by countries whose unions control the clubs, in order to have the player qualify based on 3 year residency to be an option for the national team. now that really p1sses me off. should be minimum 5 years. 3 years is just now enough. examples are endless.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:56 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/scholarship-to-lure-aspiring-springboks-20130316-2g7yc.html

As said above, White has a history of this sort of thing. The difference being at the Brumbies he didn't have the same pile of cash to throw at experienced pros so he had to target the younger ones.

I feel a bit for French academy lads, rugby is a real passion in southern France and so many potentially good players are just never going to get a chance. The rule seems to be: Player born south of the equator > player born locally.

The 1st rule is a players from the SH is cheaper than a french one of the same quality.
And the 2nd rule is a professional rugby players from Super rugby is better than a young french one without experience of pro rugby.
Our club fight to death to avoid relegation and earn a qualification in the european cup. They don't have time to lose with developing young players. It's maybe sad but we can change this fact. That's why more and more young players have to play for weak team or even our 2nd division (9 players in our national team have played in ProD2, a thing unimaginable a few years ago)

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:02 pm

you are a montpellier supporter, yes?

what is the fan view of jake white?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Biltong wrote:

I am with you ebop, I fully understand we don't have the money or even the number of clubs necessary to provide spots for all our players, but it is beginning to grind me to no end, that our domestic rugby is beginning to suffer because of pricks like Jake White.

Sorry but the huge number of south african players in Europe show it's an old tend, long before Jake White.
If all of your players were playing at home you would have at least 5 competitive teams in Super Rugby.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:09 pm

quinsforever wrote:you are a montpellier supporter, yes?

what is the fan view of jake white?

We're very skeptical on him but we aren't in a good position to criticize him. He come to help us (even if he's been pay for that Smile ) when we were in lots of troubles (war between our players and our coach).
Our biggest fear is our game style, we used to play a lot with our back, and we fear we will lose that with him.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:21 pm

NZ seem to have this right. If you want international rugby, you play in NZ, subject only to exceptional circumstances (e.g. Carter sabbatical).

England have also nipped this in the bud (e.g. Steffon Armitage).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Australia tried the same thing and it didnt work. lost giteau in his prime. Mowan after one season as captain, and the ARU is almost broke with the cost of overpaying their badly behaved stars so they dont go to france or back to the NRL

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Ireland have nipped it in the bud too - dragging that naughty lad Sexton home by the ear: "Didn't I tell you not to be out after 12?!! France, you say! Well, I'll France you me lad with a few whips on the arse."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:NZ seem to have this right. If you want international rugby, you play in NZ, subject only to exceptional circumstances (e.g. Carter sabbatical).

England have also nipped this in the bud (e.g. Steffon Armitage).
England have also more money to pay their players than the SH nations.
And New-Zealand have 2 advantages a huge number of good players and these players (if they also don't have the nationality of another country from the pacific island) are limited in France. Our club can have only 2 kiwis player in our squad, whereas there is no limit to boks players.
The interesting case will be Australia. They're like limited here like kiwis players, but they don't have a big number of good players. If our clubs buy a lot of them, they will not still compete with NZ or SA without selecting men who are playing in NH.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 pm

I have no knowledge that let's me comment on Jake White - but it's clear that emotions run high.

I'm struggling a bit though to understand the root complaint here. Is it the talent drain to other countries or White's actions?

We are barely 20 years into the pro-era for rugby and the major nations are still wrestling with domestic and international structures and business models that govern the sport. In a professional and free market - why are the likes of Jake White to blame? I haven't enjoyed the demise in domestic Welsh rugby, but I blame the inept attempts in Wales to deliver a fantastic product more than I do the the French for having more money.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:54 pm

offload wrote:I have no knowledge that let's me comment on Jake White - but it's clear that emotions run high.

I'm struggling a bit though to understand the root complaint here.  Is it the talent drain to other countries or White's actions?

We are barely 20 years into the pro-era for rugby and the major nations are still wrestling with domestic and international structures and business models that govern the sport.  In a professional and free market - why are the likes of Jake White to blame?  I haven't enjoyed the demise in domestic Welsh rugby, but I blame the inept attempts in Wales to deliver a fantastic product more than I do the the French for having more money.
Well, it is both, the player drain of our top players is affecting our domestic rugby, and it is also Jake WHite's attitude towards SARU, he has decided stuff SA rugby, he will do what ever he has to do, regardless of whether it is morally correct or not.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down