The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup 2015 Thread

+12
Born Slippy
LuvSports!
banbrotam
It Must Be Love
Calder106
CaledonianCraig
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
Duty281
Haddie-nuff
laverfan
temporary21
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Davis Cup 2015 Thread Empty Davis Cup 2015 Thread

Post by temporary21 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm

A little late I'm afraid but the 250-500 thread seems to be holding. So heres the Davis cup thread for the year. Current World group score are

Germany 0:2 France
Great Britain 2:0 USA
Czech Rep 0:2 Australia (quite a turn up)
Kazakhstan 1:1 Italy
Argentina 0:1 Brazil
Serbia 2:0 Croatia
Canada 0:0 Japan
Belgium 1:1 Switzerland (No Fed or Stan bothering to defend the title in this one has stirred up a bit of a fuss)

Off we go, and if I may give an excellent well done to James Ward, what a great moment for him.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup 2015 Thread Empty Re: Davis Cup 2015 Thread

Post by laverfan Sat 07 Mar 2015, 1:21 am

Ward v Isner - an excellent match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 07 Mar 2015, 1:24 am

Conatulations James Ward a fantastic match;coming back from 2.O down against Isner.High quality tennis and determination well done

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Mar 2015, 2:00 am

Excellent by Ward; I add my heartfelt congratulations. clap

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

I find Murray's fist pumping after every winning point absurd.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:I find Murray's fist pumping after every winning point absurd.

But not as absurd as Isner's forehand and backhand.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:10 pm

bogbrush wrote:I find Murray's fist pumping after every winning point absurd.

Is the fist-pump a Mauresmo-ism (or WTA-ism)? Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

Crowd pressure !!much to prove me thinks

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

Mind boggles that you are even watching though BB. After all you do hate all the nationalistic feeling and patriotism in sport and there is no denying that you do get in the Davis Cup. I'd have thought you would have given the whole thing a very wide berth.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

Anyway Britain seals the win with Murray beating Isner in straight sets.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

He played well CC after the nervous start let's hope he can now build on that for the next year I can put up with his fist pumps if it helps his game Rafa has had success with it !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 4:01 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:He played well CC after the nervous start let's hope he can now build on that for the next year I can put up with his fist pumps if it helps his game Rafa has had success with it !!!

I remain unconvinced. Too many clues of late that the inconsistency of last year is still there. Stuff like moments or spells when he goes mentally AWOL (v Djokovic in Melbourne) and surprising and poor defeats against players I'd expect him to beat since then. Even a dip was evident V Donald Young when he dropped a set for no real reason. Still lots to work on for me.

As for the fist pumps - yes quite shameful that a player playing on his home soil in front of a full house, playing in a match which would take Britain through to the latest stages they've reached in a very long time in the Davis Cup dares to fist pump. Rolling Eyes
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

I am aware that you are feeling less than confident with his game.....much like I feel about Rafa..we can only hang in there and hope it gets better.In the meantime fist pumps I can take rather that than swearing and breaking racquets :-)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Mind boggles that you are even watching though BB. After all you do hate all the nationalistic feeling and patriotism in sport and there is no denying that you do get in the Davis Cup. I'd have thought you would have given the whole thing a very wide berth.
I noticed it was on at 1-2, stuck it until 4-4 and went and did something more interesting. In between I tired of Brave Andy furiously snarling and fist pumping, often with a loud expression of aggression, as an Isner return went wide.
The only entertaining bit was hearing the small crowds collective sigh of disappointment whenever Andy missed a first serve as they awaited with trepidation the gentle offering to follow.......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

It's a no brainer really and what using home advantage in the Davis Cup is all about. You are playing in front of 7500 people and probably at least 7200 are supporting you. Your opponents aim is to silence the crowd and therefore take the advantage away and even reverse it. Isner was doing that well in the first set with his good serving and punishing Murray's weak second serve. The crowd was going quiet so getting them back in the match by celebrating even simple points can make a big difference.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:29 pm

Snarling fist pump like this you mean BB:-

Davis Cup 2015 Thread 2e2h6c4
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

He he he he the same old ..same old ...Fed fans' double standards
You will find raquet smashing in the archives as well CC

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:46 pm

And you will be spared having to watch Fed putting on a brave face to lead his country to victory again too much for his country to expect him to make any further sacrifices on their behalf!!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

Yes, I mean that's just so typical isn't it? What a dopey line to take, I can find a shot of pretty much everyone doing pretty much anything if I look hard enough - what I can't find easily is anyone doing it AFTER VIRTUALLY EVERY POINT, which what I wrote about picard

As for Haddies "contribution", we'll all I can say is that the tournament is being given the gravity it deserves.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm

And no doubt I could watch a Federer match and spot a fist pump just as often. Give it up eh? We have been here before. I recall you lambasting Murray for 'Come on's' and fist pumps on opponents errors and lo and behold I recall posting a video with Federer doing exactly the same and ditto for swearing as well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:10 pm

You think so BB?? That gravity didn't seem to be the case last year!!!!We all observed how unimportant it was for Fed to get his Davis cup medal.....still I suppose he has been there and done that nothing left in it for him eh???

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:12 pm

Murray wasn't fist pumping after every point, he did seem very pumped up in general though... not surprising considering it's a home tie for Davis Cup and this tie meant GB go through.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:13 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Murray wasn't fist pumping after every point, he did seem very pumped up in general though... not surprising considering it's a home tie for Davis Cup and this tie meant GB go through.

Well a bit more than that - it meant they went through to the quarter-finals for the first time in many many years.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:You think so BB?? That gravity didn't seem to be the case last year!!!!We all observed how unimportant it was for Fed to get his Davis cup medal.....still I suppose he has been there and done that nothing left in it for him eh???

Very true. I believe his comments immediately after the winning match were along the lines of 'well this is really for the other guys, I'm really pleased for them. I've won enough'.

Just about sums it up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:25 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:And no doubt I could watch a Federer match and spot a fist pump just as often. Give it up eh? We have been here before. I recall you lambasting Murray for 'Come on's' and fist pumps on opponents errors and lo and behold I recall posting a video with Federer doing exactly the same and ditto for swearing as well.
You either didn't read, or didn't understand, my previous post.

VIRTUALLY EVERY POINT was the clue.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Murray wasn't fist pumping after every point, he did seem very pumped up in general though... not surprising considering it's a home tie for Davis Cup and this tie meant GB go through.

Well a bit more than that - it meant they went through to the quarter-finals for the first time in many many years.
Last year ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:28 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:And no doubt I could watch a Federer match and spot a fist pump just as often. Give it up eh? We have been here before. I recall you lambasting Murray for 'Come on's' and fist pumps on opponents errors and lo and behold I recall posting a video with Federer doing exactly the same and ditto for swearing as well.

He wasn't fist pumping for virtually every point though. However when he won a crucial point he was very animated, to be expected in front of his own Davis Cup crowd, but yes certainly more animated than you'd ever see Federer.
Federer does get animated from time to time, but very rarely.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:And you  will be spared having to watch Fed putting on a brave face to lead his country to victory again too much for his country to expect him to make any further sacrifices on their behalf!!!!
I'm not sure you can make this comment on Federer without mentioning that Nadal has basically abandoned the Spanish Davis Cup Team and left them to be relegated in the past year.
However it is true throughout his whole career, Nadal has been very loyal to his Davis Cup team, more so than most top players.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm

bogbrush wrote:

And obviously you are in no position to say that since (by your own admission) you switched off with the score at 4-4. But I still struggle to see why you sat through this for so long considering how strongly you are against nationalism in sport and the Davis Cup certainly promotes that. It is akin to an Animal Rights activist choosing to sit through a couple of minutes of a fox hunt.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

Yes BB I'll agree a lot about Federer and what it took for him to win that last year it sums him up completely.. It begs the question then why does he still want to keep winning other tournaments??? Maybe he prefers to just consider himself eh ???

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Last  year ?

First time getting through to QFs by winning a home tie since the 80s.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:39 pm

I sat through 5 games, true. Mainly because of fascination at Brave Andy's histrionics but they became tiresome quickly.

It's still tennis, your analogy is a bit off.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:41 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Yes BB I'll agree a lot about Federer and what it took for him to win that last year  it sums him up completely.. It begs the question  then why does he still want to keep winning other tournaments??? Maybe he prefers to just consider himself eh ???
Obviously. Just like a rational person.

Still, nice of him to want to win Davis Cup for the other guys eh?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

IMBL what an insidious comment Nadal. led them to three victories
He is not the only Spaniard to 'adandon' them as you so nastily put it what about Ferrer Almagro ??Rafa has needed to cut back on his schedule and you know it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Ha ha BB hit a raw nerve have I As CC says you would know a lot about Davis cup..you think that Fed is like you eh??? Patriotic ??
REALLY? I never had you down as a mug ..

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:51 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:I'm not sure you can make this comment on Federer without mentioning that Nadal has basically abandoned the Spanish Davis Cup Team and left them to be relegated in the past year.
However it is true throughout his whole career, Nadal has been very loyal to his Davis Cup team, more so than most top players.
IMBL what an insidious comment Nadal.  led them to three victories
He is not the only Spaniard to 'adandon' them as you so nastily put it what about Ferrer Almagro ??Rafa has needed to cut back on his schedule and you know it.
It's not an insidious comment, and I acknowledged that throughout his career he has been loyal to his Davis Cup team, and he's been key to them winning it so many times.
However it is true that Nadal and Ferrer basically abandoned the team last year, that's not me being nasty, it's just true, and then they were relegated.

In terms of reasons they did that, yes it's because both Nadal and Ferrer felt it was adding too much to their schedule. But surely you can see that's why Federer didn't play this year too ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:55 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Last  year ?

First time getting through to QFs by winning a home tie since the 80s.
Fantastic stuff from team GB. Murray of course their main strength, but Ward proved the difference with his amazing performance, up and above his ranking.
I remember Hawkeye saying she didn't agree with the decision to hire Leon Smith, but frankly I think Leon has done a great job.

Hopefully they can beat France at home, I think Ward will lose both his matches there and Murray will win his... which will leave it down to the doubles. Maybe Andy will have to play in the doubles, which could be annoying as both me and Bogbrush know because doubles is far more tiring than singles.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:57 pm

End of the day BB unless you want us all to start trauling through footage of Swiss Davis Cup matches I don't see how you can have a dig at Murray for 'snarling fist pumps' when Federer does them as well. Forget about the oftenness of it as we both know there is no way to prove what either is saying is true. Both do it so if you feel Murray is absurd for doing it then so is Federer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:13 pm

No I do notIMBL it is different circumstances how the hell did you expect Rafa to make a commitment to anything given he did not know if he would be fit and when he would return.Fed on the other hand says he has won enough ROFL !??I don't know why I am even having to try to explain that to you only that you are trying to make some contribution to the debate but God has only knows what!!?

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:21 pm

bogbrush wrote:I sat through 5 games, true. Mainly because of fascination at Brave Andy's histrionics but they became tiresome quickly.

It's still tennis, your analogy is a bit off.
You watched 5 games of it and then claim Murray "snarled through" the match?
Its Davis cup.. In Glasgow... and hes a human being. Human beings, even cool headed ones like Federer have emotions and playing for your country is a big thing.
You dont like people showing emotion, then turn it off, or find another sport or whatever, no need to complain and get snarky with everyone else.

On the Swiss its 2:2 and into the final rubber Goffins a set up I believe. Do you guys think Fed and Stan should have at least turned up to defend the cup?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

2 sets up now for Goffin. A swiss chocolate miracle is needed

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:No I do notIMBL it is different circumstances how the hell did you expect Rafa to make a commitment to anything given he did not know if he would be fit and when he would return.Fed on the other hand says he has won enough ROFL !??I don't know why I am even having to try to explain that to you only that you are trying to make some contribution to the debate but God has only knows what!!?

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, and why you seem so perturbed with what I've said.
Nadal since 2014, if he had wanted to, could have committed to the Davis Cup. However due to issues with scheduling (and sometimes injuries), he has decided to skip it for the past year and a bit. Federer has similar reasons for not playing this year I guess, they are 2 BO5 matches and he wants to prepare for Indian Wells the best he can.

No one is denying that Nadal overall hasn't been loyal to his country- he clearly has been and has been the catalyst for most of Spain's successes in the competition. It's also not a compulsory tournament, so like Federer, his decision not to play is understandable. I just think it's wrong to simply single out Federer as you did, when many others have taken decisions to skip the Davis Cup, to help their singles career.

As for your last line Haddie, I'm really sorry I just don't understand it. I'm not sure if there's two clauses, or one, or what it means at all.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm

Well Roger and Stan may well decide to play in July. Goffin takes Belgium through in straights

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm

Just as well IMBl cos I don't understand you either you make a cryptic comment about Rafa's non appearance in the DC cup and then give yourself a get out clause Why bother to make the comment to me in the first place it contributed nothing as you virtually withdrew your comment in the next sentence.If I have typos its because I have no computer so I don't even have the benefit of smilies.So you will have to make do with this :-(

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

Haddie, IMBL, this looks a lot like PM talk to me. Lets keep this to the DC results and DC related things

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

It was about DC related but dont worry T21 I can't be bothered quite frankly !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:41 pm

temporary21 wrote:Haddie, IMBL, this looks a lot like PM talk to me. Lets keep this to the DC results and DC related things
It is clearly DC related ?

Haddie- I didn't virtually withdraw any comment ? I still think Federer and Nadal didn't play DC because they prioritised their singles career, and fair enough.
The next question I suppose is whether to make DC compulsory, and perhaps not make 500 tournaments compulsory. Frankly I would find a hotly contested DC event where all top players play (imagine Spain vs Switzerland with a raucous vibrant crowd at Basel/Madrid...), much better than Nadal entering Rio and Murray playing Rotterdam or whatever.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

I wish I had my smilies ...

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Snarling fist pump like this you mean BB:-

Davis Cup 2015 Thread 2e2h6c4

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

BB's only weakness is that the rules he expects of some players, don't seem to apply to St Roger

If Murray and Federer play a Davis Cup match in, say Basel, then of course Roger won't resort to such tactics Whistle

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:45 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:You think so BB?? That gravity didn't seem to be the case last year!!!!We all observed how unimportant it was for Fed to get his Davis cup medal.....still I suppose he has been there and done that nothing left in it for him eh???

Very true. I believe his comments immediately after the winning match were along the lines of 'well this is really for the other guys, I'm really pleased for them. I've won enough'.

Just about sums it up.

I'm convinced that you're the new (well since about 2012) tennis cynic. Every comment against Murray / Novak or Rafa, uttered with a "you don't wanna do it like that" far better than Harry Enfield ever did

Look, we all agree that Roger's the coolest yet extrovert, in his play, tennis player ever. Does everyone have to be measured by this impossibly high standard?

Trawl back through history and you'll find loads of Davis Cup players behaving like Murray. Christ!! He's hardly has a reputation as some Union Jack house painter, does he?

Any chance you can just enjoy the tennis? (silly question if Roger's not playing picard )

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next