The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup 2015 Thread

+12
Born Slippy
LuvSports!
banbrotam
It Must Be Love
Calder106
CaledonianCraig
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
Duty281
Haddie-nuff
laverfan
temporary21
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Davis Cup 2015 Thread - Page 2 Empty Davis Cup 2015 Thread

Post by temporary21 Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

A little late I'm afraid but the 250-500 thread seems to be holding. So heres the Davis cup thread for the year. Current World group score are

Germany 0:2 France
Great Britain 2:0 USA
Czech Rep 0:2 Australia (quite a turn up)
Kazakhstan 1:1 Italy
Argentina 0:1 Brazil
Serbia 2:0 Croatia
Canada 0:0 Japan
Belgium 1:1 Switzerland (No Fed or Stan bothering to defend the title in this one has stirred up a bit of a fuss)

Off we go, and if I may give an excellent well done to James Ward, what a great moment for him.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup 2015 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Davis Cup 2015 Thread

Post by LuvSports! Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Nishi turning it around!
Level's the match at 1-1 and now a break up!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Nishi 2-1 up!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:05 pm

Nishi 2-1 up!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Looks like another final setter between these two.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:25 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Ha ha BB hit a raw nerve have I As CC says you would know a lot about Davis cup..you think that Fed is like you eh??? Patriotic ??
REALLY? I never had you down as a mug ..
Sometimes I think you can't read posts properly. Other times you fall short of those heights.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:30 am

temporary21 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I sat through 5 games, true. Mainly because of fascination at Brave Andy's histrionics but they became tiresome quickly.

It's still tennis, your analogy is a bit off.
You watched 5 games of it and then claim Murray "snarled through" the match?
Its Davis cup.. In Glasgow... and hes a human being. Human beings, even cool headed ones like Federer have emotions and playing for your country is a big thing.
You dont like people showing emotion, then turn it off, or find another sport or whatever, no need to complain and get snarky with everyone else.

On the Swiss its 2:2 and into the final rubber Goffins a set up I believe. Do you guys think Fed and Stan should have at least turned up to defend the cup?
I saw enough to tell me Andy was in "Braveheart Andy" mode. 5 games of that was quite enough.

Should Stan & Fed have turned up? I don't know, it depends on what they wanted to do. Certainly there's no obligation, the competition is a sideshow and Fed wasn't event that thrilled about winning it, except that it was 'for the other guys'. I think both guys showed that while they felt it was worth the effort to do it once, it's much less important to them than the 500 tournaments they will enter this year. In my humble opinion, quite right too.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:33 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:No I do notIMBL it is different circumstances how the hell did you expect Rafa to make a commitment to anything given he did not know if he would be fit and when he would return.Fed on the other hand says he has won enough ROFL !??I don't know why I am even having to try to explain that to you only that you are trying to make some contribution to the debate but God has only knows what!!?

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, and why you seem so perturbed with what I've said.
Nadal since 2014, if he had wanted to, could have committed to the Davis Cup. However due to issues with scheduling (and sometimes injuries), he has decided to skip it for the past year and a bit. Federer has similar reasons for not playing this year I guess, they are 2 BO5 matches and he wants to prepare for Indian Wells the best he can.

No one is denying that Nadal overall hasn't been loyal to his country- he clearly has been and has been the catalyst for most of Spain's successes in the competition. It's also not a compulsory tournament, so like Federer, his decision not to play is understandable. I just think it's wrong to simply single out Federer as you did, when many others have taken decisions to skip the Davis Cup, to help their singles career.

As for your last line Haddie, I'm really sorry I just don't understand it. I'm not sure if there's two clauses, or one, or what it means at all.
You criticised Nadal. Or failed to praise him. That's all the explanation you need.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 am

banbrotam wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Snarling fist pump like this you mean BB:-

Davis Cup 2015 Thread - Page 2 2e2h6c4

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

BB's only weakness is that the rules he expects of some players, don't seem to apply to St Roger

If Murray and Federer play a Davis Cup match in, say Basel, then of course Roger won't resort to such tactics Whistle
I keep on having to point out that the operative criticism is VIRTUALLY EVERY POINT. I've never seen Federer do that.

I'm reminded of Ellen Ripleys comment during the debriefing session in Alien II.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:38 am

O try fooling yourself if you must now it's you falling short with your excuses ...sideshow my arras HE and HE alone wanted that !medal to complete his trophy cabinet don't make him out to be the next thing to Mother Theresa you will have us playing the tambourines next.
And WHEN have you ever had a humble opinion

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:48 am

Your usual duplicity is again on show... IMBL takes so much flack from you until he criticises Nadal You are becoming a joke BB transparent as a plate glass window

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 am

Of course you have never seen Federer do it virtually every point because you are his staunchest fan. This is like deja vu. I clearly recall you have a similar dig at Murray a couple of years or so ago for shouting 'Come on' on winning points off opponents errors and ko and behold I presented you with video evidence of Federer doing exactly the same. We then had Murray criticised for swearing (this may or may not have been you) and again video evidence was presented of Federer doing the same.

In short it seems Murray is fair game for criticism for anything but what he does is no different from Federer so let's be fair here. If it is absurd that Murray clenches fist and snarls (forget about frequency as that is not provable and open to debate) then it is absurd that Federer does it and let's just leave it at that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:25 am

bogbrush wrote:
temporary21 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I sat through 5 games, true. Mainly because of fascination at Brave Andy's histrionics but they became tiresome quickly.

It's still tennis, your analogy is a bit off.
You watched 5 games of it and then claim Murray "snarled through" the match?
Its Davis cup.. In Glasgow... and hes a human being. Human beings, even cool headed ones like Federer have emotions and playing for your country is a big thing.
You dont like people showing emotion, then turn it off, or find another sport or whatever, no need to complain and get snarky with everyone else.

On the Swiss its 2:2 and into the final rubber Goffins a set up I believe. Do you guys think Fed and Stan should have at least turned up to defend the cup?
I saw enough to tell me Andy was in "Braveheart Andy" mode. 5 games of that was quite enough.

Should Stan & Fed have turned up? I don't know, it depends on what they wanted to do. Certainly there's no obligation, the competition is a sideshow and Fed wasn't event that thrilled about winning it, except that it was 'for the other guys'. I think both guys showed that while they felt it was worth the effort to do it once, it's much less important to them than the 500 tournaments they will enter this year. In my humble opinion, quite right too.
You have no jurisdiction to claim you know about how Murray acted in the match when you barely saw a thing. I watched the whole thing and he only celebrated on big points.  In short you're lying. Moreover quit with the brave heart stuff. Andys a proud scot and fair enough, he doesn't warrant snark for that now how about you quit with the attitude to everyone else for calling you out. They're reading what you say correctly they just know you're being deliberately biased. NOW I dint wanna see anymore about this. All of you can sulk privately from here on.   Anyone catch the Brazil 4th rubber?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:36 am

Good to see someone living up to HE's brand of comedy in her absence.

Solid performance as expected from Andy. Always going to be somewhere near his best for this match. Great to see some passion from him after the listless displays in his last two events. Wonderful win for Ward as well. Hope his injury doesn't prevent him going well in IW qualies.

Leon Smith really has done a remarkable job as Davis Cup captain.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:02 am

So apparently Andy will lead the receiving team for the QF against France.

A bit tough to call: France has the edge with the depth of their player pool and experience, but Murray should be able to win both his singles. It seems the double is the key to this match-up.

Hence, which surface do you think would be best? It's a choice between getting the best surface for Andy or the best surface for the doubles. Or considering Andy shold deliver on any surface, choosing the best surface for Ward?

I feel they should choose the same surface as this round against USA (although it probably won't be in Glasgow again) because the French seem better on faster surface. I'd probably pick an AO type of court, diminishing the impact of bigger serves and the possibility of an upset against Murray.

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:09 am

biugo wrote:So apparently Andy will lead the receiving team for the QF against France.

A bit tough to call: France has the edge with the depth of their player pool and experience, but Murray should be able to win both his singles. It seems the double is the key to this match-up.

Hence, which surface do you think would be best? It's a choice between getting the best surface for Andy or the best surface for the doubles. Or considering Andy shold deliver on any surface, choosing the best surface for Ward?

I feel they should choose the same surface as this round against USA (although it probably won't be in Glasgow again) because the French seem better on faster surface. I'd probably pick an AO type of court, diminishing the impact of bigger serves and the possibility of an upset against Murray.

They could have it in Glasgow, not like it's a permanent court or surface there. They could put down a slower surface, biggest reason it won't be in Glasgow is the number of seats. I reckon 10k plus is required. So if it has to be non Wimbledon, then O2 seems sensible.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ListenUp Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:23 am

temporary21 wrote:
Anyone catch the Brazil 4th rubber?
I didn't see any of the ties apart from the GB v USA one.

Shocked
6 hours 43 minutes???? Those poor players, shame there had to be a loser. I'm very happy for Leo Mayer though, I have a real soft spot for him. He used to get so nervous he asked to be excused home ties. But now he's Argentina's no. 1, they really can't do without him.

Souza's having a good run at the moment, beating Berlocq was a good result—Charly usually brings his best effort for DC. Souza seems to have been hanging around the lower echelons for yonks—I first saw him years ago at Wimbledon qualies, and last year there he was again. He's now at a career high 72.

ListenUp

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:04 pm

ITA lose to KAZ. A very nice gamble to play Nedovyesov against Fognini, which paid off.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:09 pm

biugo wrote:

IMO, Grass will favor GBR more than FRA. HC/Clay favor FRA. It may also need be a covered (roof) court. Queens/Eastabourne in the Summer would be ideal.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:22 pm

laverfan wrote:
biugo wrote:

IMO, Grass will favor GBR more than FRA. HC/Clay favor FRA. It may also need be a covered (roof) court. Queens/Eastabourne in the Summer would be ideal.

It'll probably be on Grass. It's just after Wimbers and Murray won't want to have to switch surfaces so quickly, plus Monfils and Simon, two of the French top 4 singles players, are fairly poor on grass. Gasquet and Tsonga are both pretty decent though, and I'm not sure grass suits Ward so much, so the doubles looks key.

Clay is right out (especially just after Wimbers). The French would fancy their chances at beating Murray there, and really for GB to have a decent chance to win they need Murray's two points from this one. HC would be an interesting call, my gut feeling is that Ward's better on HC than grass, which increases the chances of him nicking a point, whereas you'd probably back Murray to win his two rubbers there too.

But it being so close to Wimbledon I'd be surprised if it wasn't on grass. Murray already mentioned it in his post-match interview against Isner, and the French seem to be taking it for granted too. Interestingly Clement has taken the "we are the underdogs" route for this one, saying that France don't have a player of Murray's class or with his record (which is true), and that makes GB favourites (which is less obvious).

The winner of this one BTW will play Kazakhstan or Australia, both of which on paper look very winnable ties.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Ward has had his best ever results on grass. Wimby round 2, Eastbourne qf & best of all Queens sf beating Querrey, mannarino and stan.
Grass!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by ListenUp Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

I've just counted 12 rubbers in the World Group 1st round that went to 5 sets, and 4 of those went beyond 6 all.  Shocked

Mayer(ARG) d Souza(BRA) 7-6, 7-6, 5-7, 5-7, 15-13
Ward(GBR) d Isner(USA) 6-7, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6, 15-13
Simon(FRA) d Struff (GER) 7-6, 2-6, 6-7, 6-2, 10-8
Bryan/Bryan(USA) d Inglot/Murray(GBR) 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-7, 9-7

Souza also went 5 sets in defeating Berlocq, Switzerland's Laaksonen did it twice, beating both Bemelmans and Darcis in 5, the first from 2 sets down. Troicki joins Ward and Laaksonen in winning from 2 sets down.

ListenUp

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
laverfan wrote:
biugo wrote:

It'll probably be on Grass. It's just after Wimbers and Murray won't want to have to switch surfaces so quickly, plus Monfils and Simon, two of the French top 4 singles players, are fairly poor on grass. Gasquet and Tsonga are both pretty decent though, and I'm not sure grass suits Ward so much, so the doubles looks key.

Clay is right out (especially just after Wimbers). The French would fancy their chances at beating Murray there, and really for GB to have a decent chance to win they need Murray's two points from this one. HC would be an interesting call, my gut feeling is that Ward's better on HC than grass, which increases the chances of him nicking a point, whereas you'd probably back Murray to win his two rubbers there too.

But it being so close to Wimbledon I'd be surprised if it wasn't on grass. Murray already mentioned it in his post-match interview against Isner, and the French seem to be taking it for granted too. Interestingly Clement has taken the "we are the underdogs" route for this one, saying that France don't have a player of Murray's class or with his record (which is true), and that makes GB favourites (which is less obvious).

The winner of this one BTW will play Kazakhstan or Australia, both of which on paper look very winnable ties.

Good point about the calendar, I didn't look into that. So yes, with the abilities of Murray on the Grass it would seem the more obvious solution.
What about the doubles quality on Grass? Probably Clement will hope for Tsonga, Gasquet, and a potential Benneteau Mahut for the doubles.

For the KAZ-AUS round, I'd fancy Australia first, especially if it brings younger players forward. I don't know where it will be played though (and would GB receive or visit KAZ and AUS? Where was the last encounter?)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Also Argentina have done it. From 2-1 down in the tie they come back 3-2 with Delbonis beating Bellucci in 4 sets after the Mayer epic In a final day that lasted 2 days.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:46 pm

GB v Oz would be in the UK. We played them in Oz when Hewitt was n1 and haven't played since. Not sure about Kaz - albeit I have a feeling we have played them at some point?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 pm

After aquick wiki research, I couldn't find any DC KAZ v GB, so the receiving team will be picked by a coin toss (or similar). If it's played in Almaty, very well: the mountains around are gorgeous and it's a good mid-point before East-Asian tournies

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Oh and to please Bogbrush on the patriotic side of the DC: far behind USA (32) and Oz (28), GB and France are tied at 9 titles each. So there's an extra prize for the winner of the QF: keeping the #3 spot for sure!
(Coming decade could well see Spain (5) take a #3 spot, unless Czech Rep keeps coming back. After all, young talents seem to come mostly from in Central and Eastern Europe, plus Australia - So USA too beware on your #1 spot...

And last possible outcome of 2010's: if USA doesn'twake up on the DC level, it could be their first decade without a title (worst decades for now are 1910's and 2000's with only one title)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 am

Spain look to me to potentially be entering a weak phase. I am sure they will continue to have lots of top 100 players but there is little sign of anyone truly exceptional coming through.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Spain look to me to potentially be entering a weak phase. I am sure they will continue to have lots of top 100 players but there is little sign of anyone truly exceptional coming through.

Agreed (you said it better!). But I'm curious to see if they'll be like France who seem to constantly have mid-range players, or maybe like Russia with a bigger drop after a predominant decade (some Russian teens are showing up though).

And the last big question mark is: when will UK go back under the spot light in terms of depth of field? Surely it would be soon, thanks to the achievements of Andy (a bit like Noah and Leconte for France launched a new start: it stopped many decades without a GS title or a DC title - Murray stopped the GS draught, soon should come the DC title and bigger field!)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:19 pm

The Davis Cup has proved its worth to Murray as well in another way as points earned have taken him back into the top four in the rankings.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2